Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain resonator delete!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012 | 05:28 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I got quoted $50 bucks for resonator delete alone and then $80 for cat back delete and resonator. So I would say not a bad price especially at Muffler Man. But depends on the places I guess.

Old 05-04-2012 | 07:18 PM
2009R56JCW
4th Gear
not a bad price

Old 05-10-2012 | 06:33 AM
Clin10
2nd Gear
I have my resonator out, my friend took it out for me for $50, next is the rear muffler! just trying to find a nice oval-tip/letterbox muffler:

and the end result is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gufqs_S1Ho

and I am thinking of going with this rear muffler, even though I can't find one big enough to fill in the hole:
http://www.dashzracing.com/5-5-wide-...30610e-bk.html

Also, should I have had the 2nd cat deleted also? I found a vid of a Magnaflow catback that doesn't have the 2nd cat and is making me think now...

Last edited by Clin10; 05-10-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-25-2012 | 12:27 PM
llewellyn
2nd Gear
I just did the resonator and cat delete yesterday, I couldn't be happier with the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClPvV...ature=youtu.be

Old 05-26-2012 | 03:57 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Hey Clin10, I know your from Jersey so I gotta ask on the youtue vid at :40 it sounds like a gun shot lol. I hang in Camden alot since my brother lives there. The exhaust sounds just like mine. I have a Magnaflow so its a wee bit deeper tone. Love the backfires(pop). The black muffler would look sick if your gonna black other things out too. GL

Old 06-07-2012 | 10:36 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Just deleted the resonator today on my coupe....not as much burble/pop as I
was hoping for....then again I didn't really shift past 3k rpms...traffics fault

Old 06-08-2012 | 11:59 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
A sales rep at MINI told me he did this to his JCW and loved it... I may need to see how I feel about this one...
anybody have friends that work in a muffler shop in socal that wants to do a project??

Old 06-11-2012 | 01:16 AM
turtle343
4th Gear
im going to book mine in this week for this mod. i used to have a catted DP so it will be good to compare.

Old 06-11-2012 | 04:17 PM
Drexial
2nd Gear
It was weird watching someone take a saw to my car. But I like the results. Slightly louder without droaning at speed and the burbles a lot louder.

Mine was $78 after tax. $30 more then others have said. But for the difference I figured shopping around would be more time then its worth. its still 1/10th the price of a full aftermarket. A decent in between stock and after market as well, not as loud with probably little gain. But I don't know that I want really loud on my daily. I'll save that for my M3.

Mine was done at a local Mufflerman

Old 06-13-2012 | 08:36 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
I know this thread is discussing the resonator delete, but as I have an MCS Clubman, I'm thinking it won't be enough. So I'm trying to decide, resonator and cat delete or just cat delete or?!?!??

I'm just concerned with highway drone. I'm leaning towards cat and resonator delete from the down pipe back and going all new with new muffler cans. That way the stocker can get put back in and not have been cut up.

Thoughts??

Old 06-13-2012 | 08:48 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tominizer
I know this thread is discussing the resonator delete, but as I have an MCS Clubman, I'm thinking it won't be enough. So I'm trying to decide, resonator and cat delete or just cat delete or?!?!??

I'm just concerned with highway drone. I'm leaning towards cat and resonator delete from the down pipe back and going all new with new muffler cans. That way the stocker can get put back in and not have been cut up.

Thoughts??
Resonator deleted won't give you drone at highway speeds, you just get a lot of pop/burble. The popping and burbling is also louder which is pretty cool to hear.

Now if you take the second cat. off with the resonator, from personal experience, you can get drone like crazy at stead RPM's.

If you live in a state that's very strict on emissions, like here in California, I wouldn't recommend taking it off. You'll be plenty happy with just the resonator gone.

Old 06-16-2012 | 08:02 PM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Had my resonator delete done this morning, cost $72.21 out the door. If I didn't watch them do it, I would have thought they didnt do anything. Very subtle difference in sound, maybe a little louder above 3000rpm WOT. No Pops.

After sitting all day, I started it tonight. A definite difference of sound at cold start, sounded very good. However, in less than a minute, the idle exhaust note went back to normal quiet.

I was worried that the resonator delete would make the car too loud, but in fact it really didnt do much at all.

I'd let my wife do some drive-by's so I can get a feel of how it sounds from outside, but I really don't want to shell out for a new clutch right now.

Old 06-16-2012 | 08:51 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jlobb2
Had my resonator delete done this morning, cost $72.21 out the door. If I didn't watch them do it, I would have thought they didnt do anything. Very subtle difference in sound, maybe a little louder above 3000rpm WOT. No Pops.

After sitting all day, I started it tonight. A definite difference of sound at cold start, sounded very good. However, in less than a minute, the idle exhaust note went back to normal quiet.

I was worried that the resonator delete would make the car too loud, but in fact it really didnt do much at all.

I'd let my wife do some drive-by's so I can get a feel of how it sounds from outside, but I really don't want to shell out for a new clutch right now.
Oooh jeez.....
This only applies to 2011 and up MCS models
We get pop and burble like crazy on let off

Old 06-16-2012 | 09:35 PM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Oooh jeez.....
This only applies to 2011 and up MCS models
We get pop and burble like crazy on let off
Yeah, I've come to grips that my 07 will never pop and burble. But I expected the resonator delete to make the exhaust more aggressive, but so far the results aren't there. So on to the next step.... find a JCW exhaust or spring for the JCW tuning kit.

Old 06-18-2012 | 06:54 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Resonator deleted won't give you drone at highway speeds, you just get a lot of pop/burble. The popping and burbling is also louder which is pretty cool to hear.

Now if you take the second cat. off with the resonator, from personal experience, you can get drone like crazy at stead RPM's.

If you live in a state that's very strict on emissions, like here in California, I wouldn't recommend taking it off. You'll be plenty happy with just the resonator gone.
I have an '08 Clubman S, and I'm thinking the resonator delete will give me nothing sound wise as our exhausts are different then the coupe. But you're saying that the cat delete will give the droning as well on a clubman??

Old 06-18-2012 | 07:43 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jlobb2

Don't worry about it too much man, this mod took a full month for it to fully "break in" on my MCS. At first I could barely hear the noise increase from inside. It IS very subtle from inside the car but it will get a little louder as time goes on... I assure you the difference is pretty big from the outside however.

Old 06-18-2012 | 07:54 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
This resonator mod "breaks in" ?! Really?!? I would have thought this short piece of pipe modification would be an instant change. How does it break in?

Old 06-18-2012 | 08:04 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tominizer
This resonator mod "breaks in" ?! Really?!? I would have thought this short piece of pipe modification would be an instant change. How does it break in?

To be honest, I have no idea lol. It does provide an instant change but it gets slightly louder and the tone evens out once it has been driven without the resonator for a while. I have found this to be true with most exhaust mods I've done on my previous cars as well.

Old 06-18-2012 | 08:05 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Also, try giving it some gas through a tunnel or underpass, you will get a good idea of the outside sound!

Old 06-18-2012 | 11:22 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
If you remove the resnator you will get a more aggresive sound when you're on it.

The only cars that pop/burble are as follows....

1. R53
2. 2007-2012 JCW models with N14 engine**
3. 2011+, any model Mini Cooper S with N18 engine

**the popping was only exclusive to the 2nd Gen JCW and not the S counterparts...now from 2011 on it will pop and burble all day long on any S model as well as the JCW
(someone correct me if I'm wrong here )

This is good to know so you don't make the mistake of paying someone to remove the resonator and expect popping only to be let down

Old 06-18-2012 | 11:44 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
If you remove the resnator you will get a more aggresive sound when you're on it.

The only cars that pop/burble are as follows....

1. R53
2. 2007-2012 JCW models with N14 engine**
3. 2011+, any model Mini Cooper S with N18 engine

**the popping was only exclusive to the 2nd Gen JCW and not the S counterparts...now from 2011 on it will pop and burble all day long on any S model as well as the JCW
(someone correct me if I'm wrong here )

This is good to know so you don't make the mistake of paying someone to remove the resonator and expect popping only to be let down

You are both right and wrong.

Right, because the only way to get the "Official Mini Pop & Burble" is to have one of those cars. Thats they only way your gonna get THAT pop and burble.

Wrong, because deleting the resonator will make your car pop&burble, but in a different way. It is not a backfire type popping, nor is it extremely loud. It is more of a crackle, small pops, and a growl/burble that is much different than stock. In fact, it is only once in a while that I can hear the "popping" from inside the car. However from outside of the car it can be heard much more frequently(almost every time) during shifts and let-off.

Just thought I should clear that up for people looking to do this mod.

Last edited by axleR56; 06-18-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2012 | 12:37 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Good to know

Old 06-19-2012 | 10:48 AM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by axleR56
Don't worry about it too much man, this mod took a full month for it to fully "break in" on my MCS. At first I could barely hear the noise increase from inside. It IS very subtle from inside the car but it will get a little louder as time goes on... I assure you the difference is pretty big from the outside however.
I went for a cruise last night to pick up a JCW strut brace from another member. Drove with windows down since it was pretty nice out. There is definitely an improvement in sound that I didnt notice the other day. I see myself driving with the windows down a little more now.

Old 06-21-2012 | 03:01 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
i got this done yesterday. $100 in Australia.
I have a 08 r56 stage 1 JCW. I love it now. it sounds a lot deeper and just burbles and pops a lot louder. kind of like fine tuned the stock sound to perfection.
in the past I had a Riss racing catted DP. that was a lot louder than this mod but was very full on. i find the balance now perfect and prefer this set up.

Old 07-30-2012 | 06:28 PM
Powashiftin
2nd Gear
Anyone know where I can buy a stainless pipe to have welded in place of the resonator and cat?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain resonator delete!