Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Just bought an 05 s model with blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:44 AM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought an 05 s model with blown head gasket*PICS ADDED*

I bought the car with a "bad" engine, appears to only have a blown head gasket. Head is being checked. Anything I should look or watch out for while I have it apart?

Also has the paddle shifter automatic, panoramic sunroof etc. Cool car, is light blue.

Looking to do some HPDE/trackdays with it. Anything I should do as far as prep for this stuff?

Thanks guys, glad to be on board.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 01-21-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:35 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Make sure the piston rings are good. I've seen a few broken. Feel free to call me if you have questions.

WAY

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-05-2010, 07:38 PM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Make sure the piston rings are good. I've seen a few broken. Feel free to call me if you have questions.

WAY

WHat about the automatic trans in the 2005, what consists of a routine service on the trans?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 AM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
Alao I was told to check the waterpump drive on the back of the supercharger. What is the procedure for this?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Gm sells the oem oil for it for use in their superchargers. Mini does not sell it. I'm sure Way can help ya, but you might want to spring for a bently manual...definately the best, the $100 or so will save you much time and money IMO. Good luck, sounds like a fun project!!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Grab a Bently manual, but this thread contains a general how to for the supercharger service.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ater-pump.html

Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Alao I was told to check the waterpump drive on the back of the supercharger. What is the procedure for this?
I walked him through it on the phone. Basicly remove water pump and spin the supercharger and see if the outlet on the supercharger turns, if it does check it for play and noise.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
DO I need to change the oil in the supercharger, its been run hot.

How much does it hold? I have seen these service kits with some upgraded coupler deal. Is this what I need?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
If the oil has not leaked out....MINI considers it to be a lifetime fill.
The Oil can can purchased as previously said at most GM dealers...they have lots o f cars with Eaton superchargers. Some have changed the oil as a preventive maintenance....I think GM/Toyota (on TRD items) call the oil change in the snout part of the supercharger a 5 yr/50,000 mile item on similar superchargers. But to say it again...MINI does not call for a interval to service the supercharger oil.....the expect it to be ok for the 110,000 or so life of the unit.
I would recommend you get a manual...might help ya a bit....BENTLY is THE manual to get for the MINI...the others are worthless....

http://www.waymotorworks.com/product...9&cat=0&page=1

The MINI Cooper Service Manual: 2002-2006 is a comprehensive source of service information and specifications for MINI Cooper models from 2002 to 2006. This manual supersedes our previous 2002-2004 manual with two more model years of coverage, including new repair information for the convertible and the 2005 facelift. The manual also includes coverage of the Cooper S models. The aim throughout this manual has been simplicity, clarity and completeness, with practical explanations, step-by-step procedures and accurate specifications. Whether you're a professional or a do-it-yourself MINI owner, this manual will help you understand, care for and repair your car. Though the do-it-yourself MINI owner will find this manual indispensable as a source of detailed maintenance and repair information, the owner who has no intention of working on his or her car will find that reading and owning this manual will make it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:21 PM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
Ok guys I am in the middle of this job(head gasket) Way wanted me to pull the water pump and check the supercharger drive. I got the drive belt loosened up, pulled the outlet off the charger and took the 3 13mm bolts out of the water pump but it wont come off...its loose but the inlet into the block will not let it come off. Do I pull it off also? The two bolts that hold it to the block?

I can move the rotor with my hand and see the water pump moving, no excessive amount of slack in the drive..... I stuck a screwdriver in the water pump to lock it of sorts to check the backlash on the supercharger drive, it seems ok.

But there is oil on the rotors in the supercharger, I cant tell if its motor oil or supercharger drive oil. Should I pull the supercharger and check the oil level on both ends? Remember this car ran hot, will it damage supercharger seals if it runs hot? There is also oil in the intake tract, not much just a film.

Thanks guys. I cant wait to crank it!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:44 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
There is only a couple of ounces of SC oil........I am pretty sure it is quite thin.
If you need diagrams of stuff...try realoem.com

Very useful. It shows every bolt, nut, etc, with part numbers and OEM prices. Might help you out a bit.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:01 PM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
There is only a couple of ounces of SC oil........I am pretty sure it is quite thin.
If you need diagrams of stuff...try realoem.com

Very useful. It shows every bolt, nut, etc, with part numbers and OEM prices. Might help you out a bit.

Thats an AWESOME site! Thanks man I appreciate that!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:32 AM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
Ok guys I checked the supercharger, water pump drive is ok. But as mentioned earlier there is oil in the intake tract and rotors of supercharger.

I checked the oil in the rear of the supercharger it is very full, ran out when plug was pulled. The front does not have much in it, granted the car is lower in the rear than the front but I put a piece of wire down in the lowest part and there is not much in there at all. Maybe 2-3 ounces ish.

Could the input shaft seal on the supercharger failed and thats where the oil on the rotors and intake tract came from? How much oil is supposed to be in the front?

If so how hard is it to change that seal?

I wanted to start is this weekend but my thermostat and gasket from Way didnt make it and I want to be SURE about this supercharger.

Thanks guys

Old 01-10-2010, 12:28 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
A few people have serviced the supercharger, by simply adding oil, usually to the water pump gears, but I'm not sure if swapping seals is a DIY job...supercharger tech in oldtown FL used to overhall and sell parts for out superchargers, but I'm not finding their website anymore. A full overhall is usually priced at about $800 from what I have been hearing, including seals, plus any extra like porting.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the better question is if you can even get the seals.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:39 AM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
Ok I am ready to set the head on, the factory head gasket had some kind of "coating" sprayed on it....looked almost like black paint. I know from my domestic v8 experience this type of Cometic gasket some spray high tack type sealers on them before install, should I do the same?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
NO don't spray anything on it, just put it together.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 AM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
NO don't spray anything on it, just put it together.

Thanks for all the help Way, I appreciate it. Parts came yesterday.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:01 PM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
EDIT, I found the no start issue, engine ground loose.

It started up, seems to be fine. Has no coolant in it yet I will do that tomorrow night, do an oil change and button it up.

Thanks for the help I will let you know how it drives.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 01-14-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Not to try to jinks ya, but it sounds like you have made some great progress!!

Old 01-16-2010, 06:33 AM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
Well I now know WHY it ran hot, the previous owners daughter ran over something in the right front. It damaged the lower part of the radiator holder, I can fix that easy, but it caused the tank on the radiator to leak....new radiator will be here Monday.

I changed the oil and ran it for 5 or so minutes, check engine light went off and it sounds fine.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:42 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Well I now know WHY it ran hot, the previous owners daughter ran over something in the right front. It damaged the lower part of the radiator holder, I can fix that easy, but it caused the tank on the radiator to leak....new radiator will be here Monday.

I changed the oil and ran it for 5 or so minutes, check engine light went off and it sounds fine.
Amazing.....if she had just stopped and shut the car off, it would have been a 500$ repair max.....but it sounds like it was driven till it overheated....amazing how a minor oversight can cost so much $$$. Hope that means you will have an awsome car now, with good internals at a great price!!

Last edited by ZippyNH; 01-16-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Lol .. The computer thought the word shut was a curse?!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
Well guys I put the radiator in tonight, repaired and re installed the front cap. Washed her up and put 60 miles on her. Seems to be fine.

This thing with the paddle shifted automatic is a WEAPON, geez this thing has some grip WOW.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:40 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
That's Great, Glad I could help you out. Your going to enjoy it so much.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:21 AM
FASTFATBOY
1st Gear
That's Great, Glad I could help you out. Your going to enjoy it so much.

Thanks Way, I will put some pics up soon.

BTW I filled the coolant bottle all the way to the rim trying to get the top radiator hose bleeder to spit. It has pushed out a little coolant from the bottle is this normal if it is overfilled? Car never ran hot, I bled it with the heater on until the thermostat opened.

How much power does this car put down through the automatic? It scoots pretty good!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Just bought an 05 s model with blown head gasket