Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesHunt
A intercooler does no make hp but helps keep horsepower consistent with greater cooling capacity.
It depends.

On the R53, your statement is absolutely true.

On the R55, R56, and R57 S's the ECU makes some nice adjustments based on that cooler air from the larger IC and actually makes power. Of course how much power you can reap is relative other mods, ambient temp, & ECU tuning.

Unfortunately, intercooler effectiveness in higher speed conditions can only be tested to limited extent on a chassis dyno. Most shops don't have a room sized, speed sensitive fan at their disposal.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clint

I look at it like this.a radiator does not make power but helps the engine stay cool so the engine can make power.

Does that make sense to you?

I know that my Jcw did not make 1 hp or 1 ftlbtq more with the larger intercooler when tested on a dyno.

The larger intercooler made the temps lower so the pulls were more consistent.

IMHO the oem intercooler with meth injection would be more cost effective and make better power than just a larger intercooler.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Clint

I look at it like this.a radiator does not make power but helps the engine stay cool so the engine can make power.

Does that make sense to you?

I know that my Jcw did not make 1 hp or 1 ftlbtq more with the larger intercooler when tested on a dyno.

The larger intercooler made the temps lower so the pulls were more consistent.

IMHO the oem intercooler with meth injection would be more cost effective and make better power than just a larger intercooler.
What you wrote makes sense to me and I don't disagree with what you witnessed. You're a customer and I have all the respect in the world for you and what you've done with your car.

Most dyno shops & tuners will tell you that you can't test the full effectiveness of intercooler gains on a dyno. Again, fans are your limiting factor. You need to take temp and hp logs in a rolling vehicle.

Larger intercoolers gan guarantee hp consistency from pull-to-pull. That is also true and you've witnessed this yourself. The engine itself is not gaining ANY mechanical hp advantange with the bigger IC, but it is gaining air density. The ECU does not pull as much timing as things heat up if the larger IC is designed well. Mass Air Flow based ECU's like the R56 are good at making adjustments for cooler air. I've seen standard R56 S's make power on a chassis dyno with an IC swap. However, to be up front, I've only seen one R56 JCW with an uprated IC that made power on a chassis dyno, but that was using a W2A IC system that DoS developed. They're definitely a hotter running breed of the R56 S.

Some folks call meth a 'band-aid' at times but I disagree. I think that meth has a time and a place at the track, but not on most street driven cars. IMHO -- If having all the power your car can muster is your goal, then meth is the bees knees and you should go for it. However, because there's another tank to check & fill in your trunk, and some greater complexity to the install, I'm just not a huge fan of this option for most folks. (And It's totally OK if you call me biased in that respect.)

However, as I recall, you track your JCW, so meth makes sense for your needs. Anyhow, it's neat to see your car taking shape. (Sorry about the book I just wrote up there ).

-Clint

Old 01-06-2010, 01:58 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Clint

Put me down for a baffle and a w2a intercooler.

and please come up with a scoop that can mount at the base of the windscreen.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:06 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A intercooler does no make hp but helps keep horsepower consistent with greater cooling capacity.
...anyways. W2a for R56? Sounds pretty interesting.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Working on how to make the second thing that JamesHunt mentioned cheaper yet still as effective (to be released near AMVIV 7 time).

CAI Baffles will be here on Friday and shipped on Monday. You're on the list. Will invoice when they arrive.

Last edited by Mini'mon; 01-06-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Needed clarification
Old 01-06-2010, 02:10 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Big time false. The R56 ECU definitely senses the cooler charge air temps and adjusts accordingly. I don't have solid data, but many R56 owners have felt a noticeable difference in power/torque at over 4k rpm when driving VERY aggressively. I know I sound like an argumentative tard, but you really have to get off the dyno and feel the before and after driving like a bat outta hell.
I agree that the ecu senses a cooler charge that is why water/meth works so much better than a larger intercooler .

More Power for less money makes more sense to me.

water/meth FTW

in 500 miles of driving with water/meth i have used less than 24 oz of fluid.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
"James"-

What kind of IAT's are you seeing with the meth? And what percentage of meth are you running?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
Working on how to make the second thing that JamesHunt mentioned cheaper yet still as effective (to be released near AMVIV 7 time).

CAI Baffles will be here on Friday and shipped on Monday. You're on the list. Will invoice when they arrive.
Clint

Cool.

StigOne wanted me to pass a message to you and all of his friends on NAM

From StigOne

Happy New Year

Last edited by JamesHunt; 01-06-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
"James"-

What kind of IAT's are you seeing with the meth? And what percentage of meth are you running?

50% METH (BOOST JUICE)

my intake temps match the reading on the themometer hanging next to the dyno

The Jcw is running so strong(on a stock map that is richer than Thurston Howell III) 1st,2nd and part of 3rd are usless even with 235s.

Cant wait to see what jan has come up with for the jcw.I hope he has the file from italy for the Jcw when he comes to town this month.

Last edited by JamesHunt; 01-06-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:31 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
However, as I recall, you track your JCW, so meth makes sense for your needs. Anyhow, it's neat to see your car taking shape. (Sorry about the book I just wrote up there ).

-Clint

Yup building the car for 1 lap of america and should have a Trans am racer and a former SCCA champion as co driver.

Looking for Sponsorship . I will plaster my car with the Dos logo for a real good deal on a w2a intercooler.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W2A is the business. I too am dying to see what Jan can do with a JCW. DP, forge cooler, and a Jan tune, and that's plenty for me. Just need me some Ohlins....

I'm hanging to buy a downpipe for my JCW, but no-one (as far as I can tell) is running an aftermarket downpipe with the stock JCW catback. And I'm not going to buy one until I know what it sounds like....

Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by etalj
I'm hanging to buy a downpipe for my JCW, but no-one (as far as I can tell) is running an aftermarket downpipe with the stock JCW catback. And I'm not going to buy one until I know what it sounds like....
JamesHunt does...maybe he'll be so kind as to give us a video clip

Old 01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
W2A is the business. I too am dying to see what Jan can do with a JCW. DP, forge cooler, and a Jan tune, and that's plenty for me. Just need me some Ohlins....

Quiet at part throttle and race when wide open. cruising on the Hiway 3500rpm to 4500 rpm in 6th gives a real nice powerboat type of burble,after 4500 rpm it sounds total race

Too bad I will be forced to upgrade to a 3 inch with a dump and then resonater before the chassis brace then going to 3.5 inch after the brace then the system will split into 2 3.5 inch canisters with two 4 inch corsa tips.

Last edited by JamesHunt; 01-06-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
JamesHunt
Banned

228whp and 225wtq with dp,cooler, meth and a jan tune.
The bottle neck with the jcw is the turbo has nothing more to give,look at a 1 to 2 step bigger ko4. the stock tune is so rich that maybe a slightly larger turbo will work by limiting boost with a aftermarket boost controller without touching the ecu.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
What you wrote makes sense to me and I don't disagree with what you witnessed. You're a customer and I have all the respect in the world for you and what you've done with your car.

Most dyno shops & tuners will tell you that you can't test the full effectiveness of intercooler gains on a dyno. Again, fans are your limiting factor. You need to take temp and hp logs in a rolling vehicle.

Larger intercoolers gan guarantee hp consistency from pull-to-pull. That is also true and you've witnessed this yourself. The engine itself is not gaining ANY mechanical hp advantange with the bigger IC, but it is gaining air density. The ECU does not pull as much timing as things heat up if the larger IC is designed well. Mass Air Flow based ECU's like the R56 are good at making adjustments for cooler air. I've seen standard R56 S's make power on a chassis dyno with an IC swap. However, to be up front, I've only seen one R56 JCW with an uprated IC that made power on a chassis dyno, but that was using a W2A IC system that DoS developed. They're definitely a hotter running breed of the R56 S.

Some folks call meth a 'band-aid' at times but I disagree. I think that meth has a time and a place at the track, but not on most street driven cars. IMHO -- If having all the power your car can muster is your goal, then meth is the bees knees and you should go for it. However, because there's another tank to check & fill in your trunk, and some greater complexity to the install, I'm just not a huge fan of this option for most folks. (And It's totally OK if you call me biased in that respect.)

-Clint
OK that's where I messed up my verbage. I was referring to the power/torque gain that a driver can feel when they have been so damn used to the heat soak effect after driving with long durations especially in hot weather. The FMIC definitely gets rid of that. Now I know how to refer to the benefits after reading this.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Shane

Your from Motor city, you should be telling us how things work.

Tell the Girls at Jason's I said hello.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
etalj
6th Gear

228whp and 225wtq with dp,cooler, meth and a jan tune.
The bottle neck with the jcw is the turbo has nothing more to give,look at a 1 to 2 step bigger ko4. the stock tune is so rich that maybe a slightly larger turbo will work by limiting boost with a aftermarket boost controller without touching the ecu.
Definitely don't want a new turbo. Just want a louder exhaust and a bit more power. I'll save my money and buy and OS Giken LSD and a Jan tune.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
I think you will buy a os clutch when you buy your diff the electronic nanny will smoke your clutch at anyhing over 215whp.

Wish Jan would get off his *** and send Clutchmasters a flywheel.

Jan if you are reading and not posting(google lollipops in daytona)

The Jcw has a different flywheel than the cooper s.I will buy a flywheel and fed ex it to you if i get a free clutch out of the deal.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
etalj
6th Gear
I think you will buy a os clutch when you buy your diff the electronic nanny will smoke your clutch at anyhing over 215whp.
I think I will too.... Must....Stop.....Buying.

On that topic, I just ordered Carbotech XP10s for the fronts...

Old 01-06-2010, 06:13 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
I think I will too.... Must....Stop.....Buying.

On that topic, I just ordered Carbotech XP10s for the fronts...
Nice!

I am looking at some ap racing 6 pots with 330mm rotors

Old 01-06-2010, 06:31 PM
onefish2
6th Gear

This thread really has me thinking why I am doing all these mods to my JCW. I mean the car pulls hard and is fast enough for me. I do not do autocross or track it. I do drive like a frickin' maniac though, I will be the first to admit it. I am beginning to think that all my time spent on the NAM forums is warping my mind and draining my wallet.

I have all the NM Engineering parts in my engine bay. The helix guys will be installing their IC for me on Friday and when Jan comes to the NYC area I will be first in line for a tune and then we will see what the story is.

I have been thinking about the DP from Exhaust Depot and for a brief moment Riss. The Riss part might be great but I did not need to be involved in that drama. I too would like to hear from someone with a JCW that has replaced the DP and left the rest of the stock factory JCW exhaust.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
I would buy a supersprint for less than $ 300.The supersprint sounds so good!

I will have my riss catless coated turboback for sale in a couple of weeks.

I have the riss dp and factory jcw exhaust and it sounds wicked awsome.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
etalj
6th Gear
I would buy a supersprint for less than $ 300.The supersprint sounds so good!

I will have my riss catless coated turboback for sale in a couple of weeks.

I have the riss dp and factory jcw exhaust and it sounds wicked awsome.
Any chance of a sound clip or two?

Do what I did, put a phone earpiece's microphone hanging over the seals of the tailgate and slam the hatch down, it catches the sound phenomenally well.

The AP Racing 330mm BBK is probably my ideal setup. But I don't how much better it could be compared to the factory JCW brembos. I have Goodridge SS lines, Endless RF-650 ($$$$), and soon the XP10s, do you think the APs will be that much better?

Old 01-06-2010, 06:54 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Any chance of a sound clip or two?

Do what I did, put a phone earpiece's microphone hanging over the seals of the tailgate and slam the hatch down, it catches the sound phenomenally well.

The AP Racing 330mm BBK is probably my ideal setup. But I don't how much better it could be compared to the factory JCW brembos. I have Goodridge SS lines, Endless RF-650 ($$$$), and soon the XP10s, do you think the APs will be that much better?

Car is on the dyno right now,I will see if Jan is willing to hang out the hatch and take a video this weekend.

going to the ap racing to cut unsprung weight down.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Air Intake