Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM
DEHawk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Intake

Hello,
I was surfing around the Mini tuning sites and came across an air intake system that turns the hood scoop into a functional and working ram air system. I cannot remember who made it. If anyone knows where i can find this please let me know.
As far as Air Intake systems go, what are the the best ones to gain the most power and torque. Right now I have the JCW air box, I think there is a better system out there but do not know where to start.

Thank you

Zach

Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Zach I'd suggest doing a "CAI" and "Intake" search in this forum

You'll see that there are many opinions on intake, to put it mildly

FYI - while it seems counterintuitive very little air actually will be fed into our air scoops at speed. I know this statement has and will be challenged but it just makes sense, to me

Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-ddmworks.html

and TGS91 is right... at speed you'll find very little air going into the hood scoop... unless you get something aggressive like M7's hood scoop... wind tunnel shows it will grab some air...

as a second side note (as you'll see in the thread) Ram air on a turbocharged car is an oxymoron... you ram air into N/A cars, turbos already suck a crap load of air on their own, it's like putting a fan in your face... you know there's extra air but you're only going to take in as much as you nose allows :P not the best analogy but you get the idea... it's nice to have the eye candy of the ram air piece...

btw you're probably thinking of DDMWorks Race Intake... or M7's AGS-R...

anyhooo parooze the thread... it's most likely going to be everything you are looking for info wise about the DDMWorks intake...

Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 PM
uggbird
1st Gear
IMHO the DOS would be one of the best available now.

http://defendersofspeed.com/store/pr...p?id_product=6

also a group buy going on now.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...bo-s-cais.html

Old 01-05-2010, 04:41 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The two that actually use the air scoop are the DDM Race Intake System and the M7 AGS-R.

Most intakes are going to make around 5-8 whp up top, and open air filtered CAIs will actually lose a tiny bit of power down low since they are sucking in HOT air.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:59 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
The two that actually use the air scoop are the DDM Race Intake System and the M7 AGS-R.

Most intakes are going to make around 5-8 whp up top, and open air filtered CAIs will actually lose a tiny bit of power down low since they are sucking in HOT air.

The only mini cai that increased whp on m2 motorsports dyno was a Defenders of speed cai at 9 whp. all the other intakes we tested made 0 gains or lost horse power.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:15 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Hmmmm..... Did anyone manage to simulate the ram air effect with the DDM and M7 at high speeds above 70mph?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:14 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Hmmmm..... Did anyone manage to simulate the ram air effect with the DDM and M7 at high speeds above 70mph?

no but i am sure the Defenders of speed cowl induction intake would post even bigger numbers @ 70 mph

we tested the ddm,K&n replacement drop in with oem airbox, alta .nm enginering,forge/bmc,m7 and Dos intakes.Dos and K&n are the only ones that made power and tq.

All dyno pulls where with the hood open.

Last edited by JamesHunt; 01-05-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JamesHunt
no but i am sure the Defenders of speed cowl induction intake would post even bigger numbers @ 70 mph

we tested the ddm,K&n replacement drop in with oem airbox, alta .nm enginering,forge/bmc,m7 and Dos intakes.Dos and K&n are the only ones that made power and tq.

Do you have dyno charts? I'd be interested to see them as I am positive that our intake makes power. What type of dyno?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:10 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
I think he is mostly correct in that none of the intakes make power. But for the ones that "did" I have a hard time believing that they did. I've done some intake and catback testing on R56's and have yet to see any HP gains of more than 3hp with either.

The only way to do an accurate test would be to spend an entire day at the dyno and try each intake, that way the conditions are all the same. I'd put your money toward a Forge Intercooler.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I think he is mostly correct in that none of the intakes make power. But for the ones that "did" I have a hard time believing that they did. I've done some intake and catback testing on R56's and have yet to see any HP gains of more than 3hp with either.

The only way to do an accurate test would be to spend an entire day at the dyno and try each intake, that way the conditions are all the same. I'd put your money toward a Forge Intercooler.
The biggest single improvment is a catless downpipe (worth 20 whp) next i would do a 2.5 plus exhaust (worth 10 whp).A downpipe and exhaust in a JCW will give you 220whp and 215 wtq.

adding a intercooler and water meth will put the a Jcw at 225 whp without a tune.

Jan put a tune on my car which made the hp and tq curves flater and wider and picked up peak whp to 228 and wtq to 225 on a 90+ degree day with 80% humidity.According to Jan and Larry Macedo(one of the best viper tuners in the world,just ask John Henessey)the turbo is maxed from the factory and the only way to get more power is bigger turbo and pnp head or nitrous.

as far as dyno charts just ask Jan or Ian about the mean sounding Jcw that lives on on the dyno at M2 Motorsports.

Last edited by JamesHunt; 01-05-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by ALTA_Jarid
Do you have dyno charts? I'd be interested to see them as I am positive that our intake makes power. What type of dyno?

a dynojet that is set up for 1000+whp cars and factored for a low reading (more realistic reading)

Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a little of subject but do you guys know if a CAI will void the manufacture warranty?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks

Way

A intercooler is good upgrade but i would do a water meth kit first for a even bigger drop in intake air temps,less money,no pressure loss or extra volume of a larger intercooler to fill and less lag by maybe a hundredth of a second.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by cop1406
This is a little of subject but do you guys know if a CAI will void the manufacture warranty?
will not void warranty.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM
DEHawk
2nd Gear
"The biggest single improvment is a catless downpipe (worth 20 whp) next i would do a 2.5 plus exhaust (worth 10 whp).A downpipe and exhaust in a JCW will give you 220whp and 215 wtq"
Okay, but I am new to this tuning thing, so what is a catless down pipe? Who makes a good one?
Who makes a good 2.5 exhaust. Right now I think I have the OEM JCW exhaust, I say I think because I have the JCW exhaust tips.
What is a water meth kit?And last who makes a good inter-cooler?
I am pretty sure my Mini is not a full JCW, but I cannot tell. I have all the JCW add-ons, mainly aesthetic, full carbon fiber, and brakes.

Thanks for the help
Will look into the DOS air intake.

Oh by the way I have a 2007 Cooper S

Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Down pipe is the exhaust pipe that attaches to the hotside of the turbo.Riss,supersprint,miltek,alta and way motorwerks have downpipes.

"Right now I think I have the OEM JCW exhaust, I say I think because I have the JCW exhaust tips."

Oem Jcw exhaust does not have tips with the jcw engraving.

A good but expensive 2.5 inch is miltek. A Invidia is very good and a couple of hundred cheaper than the miltek.Way motor werks offers a downpipe exhaust combo that is a work of art.

Water /meth is a injection system made to increase octane and lower air intake temps.(the cooler the air the more dense it is and the denser the air the more power you make)

Forge makes a beautiful intercooler (way can hook you up with one)

Last edited by JamesHunt; 01-05-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 AM
Sabes
3rd Gear
The biggest single improvment is a catless downpipe (worth 20 whp) next i would do a 2.5 plus exhaust (worth 10 whp).A downpipe and exhaust in a JCW will give you 220whp and 215 wtq.

adding a intercooler and water meth will put the a Jcw at 225 whp without a tune.

Jan put a tune on my car which made the hp and tq curves flater and wider and picked up peak whp to 228 and wtq to 225 on a 90+ degree day with 80% humidity.According to Jan and Larry Macedo(one of the best viper tuners in the world,just ask John Henessey)the turbo is maxed from the factory and the only way to get more power is bigger turbo and pnp head or nitrous.

as far as dyno charts just ask Jan or Ian about the mean sounding Jcw that lives on on the dyno at M2 Motorsports.
You say a catless dp would be worth about 20whp, do you know how much a catted dp would be worth? (lets say riss racings).... Hopefully not too much of a difference considering it throws a code, the cat probably doesnt do much

Old 01-06-2010, 06:14 AM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by Sabes
You say a catless dp would be worth about 20whp, do you know how much a catted dp would be worth? (lets say riss racings).... Hopefully not too much of a difference considering it throws a code, the cat probably doesnt do much
Never tested a catted downpipe

Old 01-06-2010, 06:30 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Dang many varying claims on gain/no gain from intakes. Lots of variables as well. Every MINI is just a little bit different too...

I agree with Way, Forge and Helix intercoolers are no nonsense power/torque gainers. Money well spent!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Never tested a catted downpipe
Damn, i'm deciding wether or not a catted pipe won't be enough of a power gain compared to the catless

Old 01-06-2010, 06:57 AM
JamesHunt
Banned
Dang many varying claims on gain/no gain from intakes. Lots of variables as well. Every MINI is just a little bit different too...

I agree with Way, Forge and Helix intercoolers are no nonsense power/torque gainers. Money well spent!

The forge intercooler did not make any more hp and tq on the dyno than the oem intercooler,but did help with retaining hp and tq, heatsink and lower intake temps.

Water meth lowers intake temps more than a aftermarket intercooler and will increase octane level so the ecu can advance the ignition timing to produce
more hp and tq.

Last edited by JamesHunt; 01-06-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you please post the dyno results on all the runs you have made. It would be nice to see them. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:44 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Claiming that a bigger FMIC doesn't produce gains in power/torque in real world conditions is really strange. Cooler charge air, more oxygen per unit volume of air, you should make more power. Even with a fan blowing on the intercooler during dyno testing, it still isn't producing the incredible volume of air the intercooler experiences during high speed driving.

There are so many conflicting reports/dyno results all over NAM and other sites. There must be a SAE standard for testing vehicles but even then no one would care to follow them.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:23 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Claiming that a bigger FMIC doesn't produce gains in power/torque in real world conditions is really strange. Cooler charge air, more oxygen per unit volume of air, you should make more power. Even with a fan blowing on the intercooler during dyno testing, it still isn't producing the incredible volume of air the intercooler experiences during high speed driving.

There are so many conflicting reports/dyno results all over NAM and other sites. There must be a SAE standard for testing vehicles but even then no one would care to follow them.
A intercooler does no make hp but helps keep horsepower consistent with greater cooling capacity.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Air Intake