Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain clutch recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clutch recomendations

soon i gotta do a clutch . i'm thinkin it's just starting to slip occasionally when i get on it a bit . so i've gotten 100000 mls. from the stocker most of which was in a modded state . should i stick with the stocker? i'm lookin at 200 - 210 hp maybe . also a little op but are the poly bushings all that ? i'm leaning towards stockers . lca's .sry . thanks all

Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
what about the luk clutch and flywheel anyone try one?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:44 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Powerflex bushings for the control arms.

As for clutches that's a debate, I haven't used the LUK solid flywheel clutch kit yet, I can get you one so if you want it let me know I'll hook you up just to hear how it works.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 AM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read a thread on "the other site" by one of the guys from Texas Speedwerks and he said he really enjoyed his new Valeo clutch kit. He said he hasn't gotten any chattering or noises and it feels like stock. My clutch is slowly starting to die out at 70k miles and I think I am going to try Valeo when it is time. I am hoping to hear some other peoples opinions about it as well...

http://www.txwerks.com/servlet/Detail?no=371

Old 01-19-2010, 06:24 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by drsilvermini
I read a thread on "the other site" by one of the guys from Texas Speedwerks and he said he really enjoyed his new Valeo clutch kit. He said he hasn't gotten any chattering or noises and it feels like stock. My clutch is slowly starting to die out at 70k miles and I think I am going to try Valeo when it is time. I am hoping to hear some other peoples opinions about it as well...

http://www.txwerks.com/servlet/Detail?no=371
Might not be a bad deal....but my one question is....since labor is the biggest portion of a clutch job, is saving $50 or so on a clutch disk worth it? I know I have heard a few times that Valeo products, specficialy the alternators and starters are engeneered to be good enough, as opposed to the Denso's that are very high quality, and more typicaly called over-engineerered.
IMO since labor is the most expensive part of a clutch job, buy the best part you can afford, and if you want the stock feel, buy stock...the price difference compared to the price of re-doing a clutch job is insignafigant!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:45 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Unless you are racing for 10ths of a second, or have ungodly power, I recommend the stock replacement clutch. Performance clutches are heavier duty in that they are sprung more aggressively, and have different friction compound, but that doesn't mean that they will last longer. It would be very difficult to establish the longevity of one replacement brand vs. another: so many factors go into how long a clutch lasts. Both Luk and Valeo are solid manufacturers who make plenty of OEM parts for car makers such as BMW. Other discount brands may start popping up and as stated above, the lion's share of the cost of clutch replacement is labor, so it doesn't pay to save a few bucks that you will have to replace later.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:52 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Yes that Valeo kit is the same as the OEM just in a valeo box rather than MINI box. But be aware I have used a few of the valeo kits and found them with a crappy throwout bearing, so I used a stock throwout bearing.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-19-2010, 03:19 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Yes that Valeo kit is the same as the OEM just in a valeo box rather than MINI box. But be aware I have used a few of the valeo kits and found them with a crappy throwout bearing, so I used a stock throwout bearing.
guys i really appreciate the honesty . here i havethree responces from vendors and neither is trying to sell me something ; rather they are steering me and offering sound advise . i will remember . thanks . yup i noticed one
manufacturer (luk) is well established . didnt know same was true for valeo .
i'll do the job myself . on my back (yuk) . then i'll be looking to sell her and get a jeep . roads suck around here and mass. has anounced no more reembursements for pot holes so f um . love the car but when they start concentrating on bridges and not on roads it'll suck big time .

Old 01-19-2010, 03:29 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
If your selling the car you totally need to just go with a stock clutch. Either the sachs or Valeo will be fine. No sense in trying to put an aftermarket in that the next owner may not buy cause the way it feels.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:34 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I did notice that the Valeo tries to cut the cost by not having a dual-mass flywheel. How noticable is it when you get a standard flywheel?

Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
If your selling the car you totally need to just go with a stock clutch. Either the sachs or Valeo will be fine. No sense in trying to put an aftermarket in that the next owner may not buy cause the way it feels.
thanks alot valeo it is !!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:30 AM
meh
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
Unless you are racing for 10ths of a second, or have ungodly power, I recommend the stock replacement clutch. Performance clutches are heavier duty in that they are sprung more aggressively, and have different friction compound, but that doesn't mean that they will last longer. It would be very difficult to establish the longevity of one replacement brand vs. another: so many factors go into how long a clutch lasts. Both Luk and Valeo are solid manufacturers who make plenty of OEM parts for car makers such as BMW. Other discount brands may start popping up and as stated above, the lion's share of the cost of clutch replacement is labor, so it doesn't pay to save a few bucks that you will have to replace later.
What clutch/flywheel combination do you guys recommend for higher power applications? I still have the stock clutch and will eventually have to replace it...