Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Power Ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010 | 07:42 PM
dunphyj
|
4th Gear
Power Ideas...

OK, so i've been playing around with a bunch of different ideas for making some bigger power on the R56 non JCW... i have all bolt-ons except a turbo, and water/meth injection... i've been holding off on a tune till i saw what came out, but so far only Jan's tune and the GIAC tune for 07's only is out there... so here's what i've come up with so far...

the turbos that i have seen out there rather often are:
1) JCW turbo
2) GT2560R
3) GT28RS
4) Hybrid K03/K04 turbos

i've seen the pros and cons of various ones, the GT2560R has slower spool and doesn't get going till 3000rpms, the JCW turbo seems to fall flat at i think it was 240whp which of course isn't bad but i don't believe it's running at best efficiency at that point... the GT28RS is good if you have the right mods but more expensive than the other two and involves modification to the hood. the Hybrid turbo is of course the sleeper but i haven't seem much out there for the MINI application, just the VWs and those tend to be something like K04-023 Compressor wheel with the stock turbine, then you have to clip the wheel blades a bit to make it fit right... remember reading a thread saying something like 298bhp on that setup but the injectors were on 100% duty cycle which is a no no...

So basically money is an issue, while $1799 or whatever for the GT28 may be nice and cheap by some standards, i find there are better ways to spend that money...

i've heard rumors here and there that Audi S3 injectors can be used on our cars... not sure the solidity behind that, but if it's out there i'll give it a shot... also colder plugs, i have a Water/Meth kit ready and waiting to be used, and i've been having my eye on the Schrick Cams for the R56, but have seen absolutely no numbers, estimates, dynos or anything saying that there'd be a reason to get those over stock...

so basically, for those who have done turbo upgrades or know of turbos and the nature, what do you think would be the best turbo route to go?? i've been leaning towards hybrid to be honest, but on top of that, since i'm pretty sure the limiting factor under 300whp won't be internals so much as fueling, maybe cams, and getting everything to burn efficiently...

obviously whatever route i go i will take plenty of pictures and all that to keep those who want to know in the loop for the next stage of this project

so with all that on the table... Discuss...

Old 01-24-2010 | 07:55 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
A modded Jcw turbo ,mild cams,pnp head with better springs and valves,pnp exhaust manifold,fabricated intake manifold and water/meth FTW

Should be good for 265/275 whp while keeping the stock injectors happy and the gearbox from exploding.

265 whp is enough to run mid 12s in the 1/4 mile

Dunphy

NGK has a colder plug but it is nickel coated

The open deck design of the prince engine will be the limiting factor on how much power can be made.

Last edited by JamesHunt; 01-24-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2010 | 08:24 PM
dunphyj
|
4th Gear
pnp head, springs and valves i can see... but would they really make that much of a difference? what about just upgrading to JCW internals? and maybe JCW head (assuming it's different)

Old 01-24-2010 | 10:31 PM
eg0911
3rd Gear
i personally think the disco potato is the right turbo for this car. i has 300whp capabilities and that will keep it within reason, 275 sounds like a good place to be and i dont think you need a pnp to get there. your one of the first few to try it, if i had the money i would get all of the proper data acquisition equipment and run the 28rs up and see what it can do on meth and 110. im sure you can get the hood to fit with a little modification(not to the hood)

as for the hybrid turbos i think your gonna pour money into it trying to get a 1off turbo made. follow audi and vw forums and try and see what they are doing, but i dont think a hybrid k03/k04 will be any better than a disco potato. the guys that are shooting for 300 out a a 1.8t or a 2.0slow are all using 28rs's. and these setups are working well. there are some people running hybrids on their audis and VW's but from what i have seen just drop the money on a gt28rs or there is no problem and getting one off of a reputable seller on ebay to save some $$$.

lastly about the fuel, if you find out that the s3's injectors work PLEASE let this entire forum know. i heard tidbits about people trying it but never got a definite yes.

Old 01-24-2010 | 10:55 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
pnp head, springs and valves i can see... but would they really make that much of a difference? what about just upgrading to JCW internals? and maybe JCW head (assuming it's different)
No point in upgrading to JCW internals...if you're going to upgrade the internals, it won't be worth the money it costs just to throw JCW internals in there. If you want to go all out, you're much better off going with some quality aftermarket pistons/rods, and doing a pnp head w/ Ti springs, and Inconel valves.

I have talked to 2 companies that are more than willing to make pistons/rods for the R56...I just have other things in the pipeline that I want to test on the stock motor before I go messing with internals.

Old 01-24-2010 | 11:01 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eg0911
i personally think the disco potato is the right turbo for this car. i has 300whp capabilities and that will keep it within reason, 275 sounds like a good place to be and i dont think you need a pnp to get there.

the guys that are shooting for 300 out a a 1.8t or a 2.0slow are all using 28rs's. and these setups are working well. there are some people running hybrids on their audis and VW's but from what i have seen just drop the money on a gt28rs or there is no problem and getting one off of a reputable seller on ebay to save some $$$.

lastly about the fuel, if you find out that the s3's injectors work PLEASE let this entire forum know. i heard tidbits about people trying it but never got a definite yes.
The difference between a 2.0 and a 1.6 is pretty significant....it is a 25% increase in displacement. Just because the 28RS is suited well for the VAG 2.0's....does NOT mean they will work well with our 1.6's.

While I'm not completely against the thought of using 28RS's, it is a fantastic turbo, I do not think its the ideal turbo for our application. If you're doing internals, some crazy head and cam work...then it will be great. But on a stock motor, you just won't get the most out of it.

Old 01-25-2010 | 01:41 AM
eg0911
3rd Gear
turbo lag to me is if it makes full boost after 5500rpm, im not worried about power coming in at 3000 on a disco potato. the 28rs is allowing room for bigger and better things with not to much more lag than a 2560. for about the same price it seems like a no brainer to me.

Old 01-25-2010 | 07:07 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
I have to second Thumper's opinion on the Disco Potato for this little motor. We did have some success with it in our TurboKompressor kit for the 53s, but in that application, we had the supercharger keeping the turbo on the roil. There was some lag, but not Porsche 930 lag. I'm just afraid that the D.P. would make modulating the throttle out of corners a handful. I'm looking into an idea which might be a very tasty solution for the 56. More later...

Old 01-25-2010 | 05:28 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Rough Draft of Upgrades

Fabricated aluminium Intake Manifold with increased
diameter of runners

Cylinder Head modifications to include
port and polish of intake and exhausts ports
with most work focused on exhaust side
HD springs with titanium retainers
upgraded valves with muti degree valveseats
upgrade Camshafts with zero overlap but with
30-35% more lift on exhaust and 20-25% more
on intake lift

Exhaust manifold ported and extrude honed with hitemp
ceramic coating

Upgraded JCW turbo with larger inlet and outlets
ported and polished housing with modified compressor
wheels

Any other suggestions on Modding a oem jcw turbo ?

Any thoughts on fuel delivery and ignition upgrades ?

Old 01-25-2010 | 06:37 PM
dunphyj
|
4th Gear
well with DoS intake it'd make fabricating an intake manifold easier since you don't need holds for anything that sits on top of the manifold like say the airbox... but obviously with DoS you don't need to worry about that

though it's probably easier said than done... if you can do larger inlet and outlets, ported and polished housings with compressor wheel would all be good, but if there was some way to make it Dual Ball Bearing rather than journal bearing... would help with spool times not that we need it much anyway... but it'd help, maybe an external waste gate actuator too but i don't think there are that many advantages of that over internal waste gate... may not be enough room for an external anyway.

i'll do some looking into the whole S3 injectors being used on our cars...

anyone happen to know any details at all about the Schrick Cams?

Old 01-25-2010 | 08:55 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JamesHunt
Rough Draft of Upgrades

Fabricated aluminium Intake Manifold with increased
diameter of runners

Cylinder Head modifications to include
port and polish of intake and exhausts ports
with most work focused on exhaust side
HD springs with titanium retainers
upgraded valves with muti degree valveseats
upgrade Camshafts with zero overlap but with
30-35% more lift on exhaust and 20-25% more
on intake lift

Exhaust manifold ported and extrude honed with hitemp
ceramic coating

Upgraded JCW turbo with larger inlet and outlets
ported and polished housing with modified compressor
wheels

Any other suggestions on Modding a oem jcw turbo ?

Any thoughts on fuel delivery and ignition upgrades ?
crikey. Any dyno numbers? And I think some videos are now definitely in order!

Old 01-25-2010 | 09:19 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by dunphyj

anyone happen to know any details at all about the Schrick Cams?

Schrick shows lift and valve timing spec on their website .Ken Newman is working on cams as we speak.

Old 01-25-2010 | 09:23 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by etalj
crikey. Any dyno numbers? And I think some videos are now definitely in order!

Not yet, will be finished by march.Hope Jan has the Tool for sale by then or it looks like the car will sit covered until next racing season or his next visit.

Old 01-25-2010 | 09:57 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Awesome setup.