Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OBX catless downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010 | 10:44 AM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Yeah.ThatsRice.
Sorry dude. But secondary cat delete is NOT illegal. In fact, it passes CARB standards. The primary cat does 95% of the filtering. Removing the primary cat is NOT GOOD, it's effin' ILLEGAL.
So it's not good because it's illegal? People should really learn to question the law instead of blindly following it. I'm not saying you should break it. Just question it. There are many things which are bad, which aren't illegal, along with many things which aren't bad, that are illegal.

Like I was saying, there is a side to the argument that catalytic converters are more damaging in certain aspects.

Oh and for anybody who cares about the thread's actual purpose. I've contacted the ebay'er who i bought the pipe from and he's accepting a return... I'm assuming all mini exhausts are in one piece? Just wondering why it was advertised as bolt-on, no modification.

Old 08-15-2010 | 05:05 PM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
No, that's not my point at all, but it's just not worth the risk. If it boosted horsepower by 50+, I could understand if people were really into it, but it's just not THAT great of a mod considering the hefty fine.

And a bolt-on dp? That's a load. Everything is welded. It would be possible to have flanges welded, but if the seller said it was bolt-on, I would look in the direction of another dp.

Maybe one with a high flow cat

Old 08-15-2010 | 08:04 PM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
This is kinda funny really about the whole cat and what not. Exhaust smoke is exhaust smoke. I dunno why people think a cat is God's gift to polution. It's just used a filter "cutting down" on what's STILL going out the pipe, and I'm sure nobody replaces their car on a regular basis. You can get more "green" benefits from a good tune than what any exhaust can offer.

Sure, I can see the benefits from alternate fuel, but that's the future. Not tomorrow, definitely not today, and it's not my MINI.

And my DP was bolt-on, so I dunno what you guys are talking about with that either.

Old 08-16-2010 | 08:26 AM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Yeah.ThatsRice.
No, that's not my point at all, but it's just not worth the risk. If it boosted horsepower by 50+, I could understand if people were really into it, but it's just not THAT great of a mod considering the hefty fine.

And a bolt-on dp? That's a load. Everything is welded. It would be possible to have flanges welded, but if the seller said it was bolt-on, I would look in the direction of another dp.

Maybe one with a high flow cat
Ok now I know you have no idea what you're talking about. My previous DP was 100% bolt-on. No welding involved. Did you install your exhaust yourself? If you did, you would have noticed the DP is a completely separate unit.

And it's not worth the risk, to YOU. Different people have different situations, and different opinions to whats "worth it". I don't mind being informed of what risk I'm taking, or what affects I'm creating. But don't straight up tell me what I should or shouldn't do. Maybe I would rather attribute less to global warming, at the risk of a "hefty fine".

Last edited by Sabes; 08-16-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2010 | 09:49 AM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sabes
Ok now I know you have no idea what you're talking about. My previous DP was 100% bolt-on. No welding involved. Did you install your exhaust yourself? If you did, you would have noticed the DP is a completely separate unit.

And it's not worth the risk, to YOU. Different people have different situations, and different opinions to whats "worth it". I don't mind being informed of what risk I'm taking, or what affects I'm creating. But don't straight up tell me what I should or shouldn't do. Maybe I would rather attribute less to global warming, at the risk of a "hefty fine".
I was merely MISINFORMED. Castrate me, I made a mistake.

And we're just on different ends of the spectrum. I'm just saying that the micro-effect on the environment the comes with deleting the cat doesn't seem to justify the risk of getting slammed with a huge fine IN MY OPINION. Some of you are just as adamant as I am, just with opposing opinions.

The name calling is just ridiculous, at least I was playful (with a little objectification) to begin with. The lack of humor and snobbery when it comes to public opinion on this forum seems to increase every day, it's sad in comparison to some of the other forums. Anyone with a differing opinion is chastised for having such, and this thread was a new low.

Old 08-16-2010 | 10:40 AM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
It's not the difference in opinion that's a problem, just people trying to shove it down someone else's throat. And when one is proved wrong, they still try to cover it. Doesn't sound like this is you being you apologized, so it's all good. Back on topic... cats suck. I prefer dogs.

Old 08-16-2010 | 12:01 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LiLReD1
Back on topic... cats suck. I prefer dogs.

Old 08-31-2010 | 01:51 PM
AstroBlackBeast
Former Vendor
So long story short, I need to cut my stock exhaust on my 2010 MCS to fit the OBX catless downpipe? Thanks.

Old 08-31-2010 | 04:35 PM
skippydog
3rd Gear
Yuppers.

Old 09-01-2010 | 09:16 AM
AstroBlackBeast
Former Vendor
poop. I don't want to cut my stock exhaust and I don't want to spend a million dollars on a down pipe. Oh well, back to the drawing board......

Old 11-18-2010 | 12:05 AM
jsyang15
1st Gear
Did anyone attempt this combination with Invidia q300 on MCS? I read about the "plug n play" issues with the JCW exhaust but I wanted to see how this would fit with my Invidia exhaust. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I attempt to purchase OBX downpipe. Thanks

Old 11-19-2010 | 05:12 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
If anybody wants to buy a full stock MCS catback let me know. I have the one I took off of my 2010 with 800 miles on it just sitting in my garage. It's literally brand new and I would have sold it by now but to be honest, I do NOT want to even try to attempt shipping it and it has to be picked up.

Old 11-19-2010 | 05:36 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Why not just buy the OBX downpipe, use the midpipe it comes with, buy a new muffler, and add whatever piping needed between the muffler and the midpipe? That way you can just take off your stock system, and keep it in one piece if you ever want to put it back on again. No cutting involved.

Old 12-12-2010 | 11:09 AM
dboard7
4th Gear
has anyone had any boost issues with this dp? im worried about going into lymp mode.. i dont want my car not to boost, i dont care about the codes aslong as ecerything works properly. i just purchased a invidia q300 exhaust and i want the obx downpipe aswell i dont want to go to large or spend to much...

Old 12-13-2010 | 09:35 PM
jsyang15
1st Gear
So for people who want Invidia Q300 + OBX Downpipe, I had 2 options. Chop the Invidia Mid Pipe to keep the resonator or delete the Invidia midpipe and add 6 inches to the end of the OBX resonator delete midpipe. I decided to do the latter to preserve the Invidia piping in 1 piece for resale later and modify the OBX pipe since it was only 200 bucks. Verdict? No cats, full resonator delete + accessport stage II? AWESome. Only regret is not doing it faster lol. Although I did get the CEL for increased emissions. I am looking for the proper way to clear it out with the a accessport and fine "tune" it. Sound is way throatier and louder but not annoying loud. It only gets louder as I press and climb the revs, just how I like it. Drone is minimal as in cruising 70mph hwy, it is very faint

Old 04-02-2011 | 09:06 PM
kraptor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
It is definetly too long to be a direct bolt on. If you cut it you'll also have to weld a new flange onto your exhaust. The stock flange is expensive to duplicate.

I've traditionally only offered our WMW downpipe with a cat. But we just did one for a customer that was catless, so if enough other people want one we'll start offering that too.

Pls send me a PM with the price!

Old 04-14-2011 | 02:53 PM
fmalgapo
2nd Gear
I just had installed this DP and midpipe combo and it is LOUD...its mated up to my Way Motorworks cat-back which literally is just a straight pipe and muffler left...

I might as be running open DP as that is what it sounds like...debating on getting my stock cat and resonator put back on...

Old 03-31-2012 | 11:48 AM
Gsxr-mil
2nd Gear
OBX cat-less down pipe.

Does anyone know what's the diameter on the OBX cat-less down pipe? 2.25 or 2.50 inches?Thanks

Old 03-31-2012 | 03:34 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
Down pipe is 2.5 the mid pipe is 2.375

Old 12-19-2014 | 08:56 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
I'm reviving this from the grave.

I've read the entire thread and no where do I see anyone simply trying only the OBX DP (not the secondary pipe that comes with it) and successfully mating it to the stock MCS exhaust? Will it not work?

The OBX DP has gone up in price now but not too much.

Old 12-19-2014 | 09:16 AM
Gsxr-mil
2nd Gear
It worked just fine for the price. I had it for a year and one of the welds on a bracket broke but it was a simple fix re welding it. You will need an alternative for the O2 sensor check engine light. I had an Alta accesport.
By the way I had a JCW and it fit just fine with the oem exhaust fine but I believe the MCS has a second catalytic converter right pass where the down pipe meets the exhaust that the JCW doesnt have so I would research that.

Old 06-02-2016 | 09:31 AM
lemarzmini
1st Gear
without a flex tube/pipe, the exhaust will have to with stand a lot of twisting when the engine flex. that might cause cracking