Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ***OFFICIAL SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010 | 08:19 AM
Revolution Mini Works
|
Banned
Originally Posted by cunkir56
PM!
answered

Old 02-12-2010 | 08:21 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
i almost had to take my name off the list, almost totaled my car last night driving home from school

Old 02-12-2010 | 08:29 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Ha good idea Mark. I have a feeling thats going to be a great turnaround lol

Old 02-12-2010 | 09:48 AM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by stinkytofu
i almost had to take my name off the list, almost totaled my car last night driving home from school
What happened?

Old 02-12-2010 | 04:03 PM
mamut
3rd Gear
What happens when its time to give back the car if its a lease and i want to pick up another mini? If i buy the tool with a generic tune, without using on current mini, will i be able to use it on the future mini?

Old 02-12-2010 | 04:13 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Clubmamut
What happens when its time to give back the car if its a lease and i want to pick up another mini? If i buy the tool with a generic tune, without using on current mini, will i be able to use it on the future mini?
Providing it's still an R56, I'd say definitely. If the new model comes out, only Jan will be able to tell you if it will work. (though I doubt it)

Mark

Old 02-12-2010 | 05:51 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
It's coded to your VIN, so it won't be able to be swapped between cars without assistance from Dimsport (as I understand it).

Old 02-12-2010 | 06:27 PM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
What happened?

ok so i was heading home from school at night and had been raining all day and still was raining. i was getting on to a main highway, 5 lanes wide 6 if theres an exit lane. i accelerated while getting on and i changed to the lane next to the fast lane. i was approximately doing 60-70 mph when i felt my car loosing traction and my car started hydroplaning to the right. the car went comepletely sideways and i slid across 3 lanes heading directly towards the side barrier. i did a 180 and was praying that i didnt hit the barrier. i ended up almost in the shoulder backwards and the car was going in the direction originally headed. i was sliding backwards facing on coming cars. without thinking i turned my wheel to the right not really knowing what was gonna happen and luckily i started sliding back to the left towards the fast lane again(i know if you read this and think about it obviously im gonna go towards the left). i ended up doing another 180 and ended up back on my original lane. the car shut off i think cause i was in too many g's. it took me about 30 seconds to start my car again while a crap load of cars were coming

i guess im considered lucky and didnt hit anything. god i need some new tires, freaking run flats arent cutting it...

Old 02-12-2010 | 08:03 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
It's coded to your VIN, so it won't be able to be swapped between cars without assistance from Dimsport (as I understand it).
I was under the understanding that as long as you completely removed the programing, you could transport it to another vehicle. It's much like a hypertech programmer. You can transfer only as long as you completely remove the tune.

Perhaps Jan will chime in and verify.

Mark

Old 02-12-2010 | 11:56 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by stinkytofu
ok so i was heading home from school at night and had been raining all day and still was raining. i was getting on to a main highway, 5 lanes wide 6 if theres an exit lane. i accelerated while getting on and i changed to the lane next to the fast lane. i was approximately doing 60-70 mph when i felt my car loosing traction and my car started hydroplaning to the right. the car went comepletely sideways and i slid across 3 lanes heading directly towards the side barrier. i did a 180 and was praying that i didnt hit the barrier. i ended up almost in the shoulder backwards and the car was going in the direction originally headed. i was sliding backwards facing on coming cars. without thinking i turned my wheel to the right not really knowing what was gonna happen and luckily i started sliding back to the left towards the fast lane again(i know if you read this and think about it obviously im gonna go towards the left). i ended up doing another 180 and ended up back on my original lane. the car shut off i think cause i was in too many g's. it took me about 30 seconds to start my car again while a crap load of cars were coming

i guess im considered lucky and didnt hit anything. god i need some new tires, freaking run flats arent cutting it...
wow! glad you and your Mini are alright. I had a similar experience driving back to school after thanksgiving break. It was rainging and I started hydroplaning and sliding to the right doing about 65-70mph, but luckily I caught myself before I started sliding sideways. It was because of stupid potholes filled with water . Sometimes I wish they would take care of highway roads like they do the autobahn. I would even be willing to pay the extra taxes it would incur.

Old 02-13-2010 | 07:17 AM
Revolution Mini Works
|
Banned
once it's keyed ONLY Dimsport can set back to zero for another car
Have no idea what they will charge you

Old 02-13-2010 | 07:58 AM
mamut
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works

ok i emailed them, lets see what they say.

Old 02-13-2010 | 08:22 AM
Kev_KB
1st Gear
Did you get my PM Jan?

Old 02-13-2010 | 08:26 AM
Revolution Mini Works
|
Banned
Originally Posted by Kev_KB
Did you get my PM Jan?
if I didn't respond then no, as I just went through the mess of my inbox

Old 02-13-2010 | 08:51 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
WOAH, i just read through this entire thread and i'm excited to say: ADD ME TOO JAN!!

Old 02-13-2010 | 01:14 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I was under the understanding that as long as you completely removed the programing, you could transport it to another vehicle. It's much like a hypertech programmer. You can transfer only as long as you completely remove the tune.

Perhaps Jan will chime in and verify.

Mark
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
I also assumed this would be the case like the hypertech. I love my Mini but if I decide to sell it or upgrade to a newer model like an 2010 or 2011 then I have to start from zero. This is just too big of a purchase including the tune to throw on the shelf in the garage after my current MINI is gone. I think I might need to be removed from the list.

Old 02-13-2010 | 02:18 PM
tmo8462
4th Gear
Originally Posted by phxsteele
This is just too big of a purchase including the tune to throw on the shelf in the garage after my current MINI is gone. I think I might need to be removed from the list.
This flash tool could be a valuable selling point for a prospective buyer, depending on if he is into the tuning scene or not. Although you could transfer your parts to a newer MINI if you decided to go back to stock before the sell. Decisions decisions.

I feel your pain.

Old 02-13-2010 | 02:20 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tmo8462
This flash tool could be a valuable selling point for a prospective buyer, depending on if he is into the tuning scene or not. Although you could transfer your parts to a newer MINI if you decided to go back to stock before the sell. Decisions decisions.

I feel your pain.
I would most likely do a trade in. I dont think the dealer would give me any extra for it

Old 02-13-2010 | 02:36 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
I love my Mini but if I decide to sell it or upgrade to a newer model like an 2010 or 2011 then I have to start from zero.
If you don't get it, you're Mini will feel lacking; If you do get it, you won't want to part with your Mini. It makes that much of a difference, just ask anyone who's got the tune, esp. guys like Thumper who're running Jan's latest version w/ the Euro/JCW/Challenge car pop & burble re-enabled. If you don't know what we're talking about, go take a factory JCW for a test drive, it's a crime that Mini dropped it from the North American MCS.

Mini's don't have the resale value they did a couple years ago (when there weren't any cars on the lot and the waiting lists were 6 months long), upgrading to a new JCW for the same (or less) power and attitude that Jans tune provides would cost (me) ~$18k and that's for a nearly identical package/option list to what I have now. That makes the tune an incredible deal and the flash tool just adds another level of convenience.

Old 02-13-2010 | 08:03 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I also assumed this would be the case like the hypertech. I love my Mini but if I decide to sell it or upgrade to a newer model like an 2010 or 2011 then I have to start from zero. This is just too big of a purchase including the tune to throw on the shelf in the garage after my current MINI is gone. I think I might need to be removed from the list.
Just get a live tune then...$600 and you're good to go.

You pretty much have to start from zero anytime you get a new car...I'm not seeing what the issue is.

Originally Posted by n1tr0
If you don't get it, you're Mini will feel lacking; If you do get it, you won't want to part with your Mini. It makes that much of a difference, just ask anyone who's got the tune, esp. guys like Thumper who're running Jan's latest version w/ the Euro/JCW/Challenge car pop & burble re-enabled. If you don't know what we're talking about, go take a factory JCW for a test drive, it's a crime that Mini dropped it from the North American MCS.

Mini's don't have the resale value they did a couple years ago (when there weren't any cars on the lot and the waiting lists were 6 months long), upgrading to a new JCW for the same (or less) power and attitude that Jans tune provides would cost (me) ~$18k and that's for a nearly identical package/option list to what I have now. That makes the tune an incredible deal and the flash tool just adds another level of convenience.
^^everything well said

Old 02-13-2010 | 08:58 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear

I'm lost.... where's the problem?

If you sell the car, you can do several things.

You can sell the car with the choice of tunes. (at least they have the choice)

You can upload your stock tune and sell the unit. Now granted, the tune will have been money lost but it would be the exact same as those of us that have tunes already installed.

I've sold all my old tuners for my different cars. In fact, I'm selling a tuner off my H2 right now.

Mark

Old 02-13-2010 | 10:31 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Any updates on the pricing for the whole shabang. The unit and tune?

Old 02-14-2010 | 09:21 AM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Put me in!

Old 02-14-2010 | 04:47 PM
miniamos
1st Gear
can you ship to Canada? if yes count me in

Amos

Old 02-14-2010 | 04:53 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniamos
can you ship to Canada? if yes count me in

Amos

Amos,

If for any reason they can't ship and you still want one, let me know, I'll ship it to you. Though it may cost you a couple of bucks extra (for shipping only) I've sent a few things to my fellow Canadian brothers.

Mark

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ***OFFICIAL SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***