Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ***OFFICIAL SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010 | 04:18 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
I get some surge/hesitation but its only in 5th/6th gear when I floor it on the freeway that I actually feel it.

I dont know how you guys are having traction problems in 3rd because Im not....I can spin entirely thru 2nd gear now but not thru 3rd at all. It could be because I have 18x8s in the front haha

Old 04-22-2010 | 06:17 AM
MINIutia
3rd Gear
My RMW tune

Jan tuned my MINI Tuesday and delivered my flash tool. 221 lbft and 208 HP. The increase was +41 lb ft and +39 HP.
Car is more than a little thrilling to drive - worth every penny.
YouTube link of the dyno run and dyno sheet are included.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAJQkzclDuo

Attached Thumbnails ***OFFICIAL  SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***-mini-dyno-4-20-10.jpg  

Last edited by MINIutia; 04-22-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 04-22-2010 | 07:00 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Nice! I need to dyno mine. What sort of bolt-ins are you running MINIutia?

Old 04-22-2010 | 07:12 AM
MINIutia
3rd Gear
bolt-ons

Those that matter for the tune are:
  • Helix FMIC
  • RISS Racing cat-less DP & cat-back exhaust
  • M7 charge tube

Originally Posted by Gilboyto
Nice! I need to dyno mine. What sort of bolt-ins are you running MINIutia?

Old 04-22-2010 | 07:51 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
went to the dealership yesterday and got my car fixed, they updated my ecu and started to only see 7lbs of boost when wot and i started freaking out, luckily i had the remote tool and i reflashed the car and it was back to normal

Old 04-22-2010 | 08:00 AM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by stinkytofu
went to the dealership yesterday and got my car fixed, they updated my ecu and started to only see 7lbs of boost when wot and i started freaking out, luckily i had the remote tool and i reflashed the car and it was back to normal
I would be careful about reflashing a tune on your car from an older ECU version. I would think that if your ECU gets updated by the dealer, you should download it and send it to Jan. From a purely software perspective, I would think it might be possible to crash your ECU by adding an older tune file to it. For instance, if they added/changed or removed some of the expected parameters that the tune affects, when your ECU boots up with the new tune file it might not like some of the values that were associated with the old ECU version.

I would love to hear Jan's take on this.

Old 04-22-2010 | 08:05 AM
Revolution Mini Works
|
Banned
Originally Posted by btwdriver
I would be careful about reflashing a tune on your car from an older ECU version. I would think that if your ECU gets updated by the dealer, you should download it and send it to Jan. From a purely software perspective, I would think it might be possible to crash your ECU by adding an older tune file to it. For instance, if they added/changed or removed some of the expected parameters that the tune affects, when your ECU boots up with the new tune file it might not like some of the values that were associated with the old ECU version.

best to do what BTW said............

the tool should not load the file if the software version was not compatible though

Old 04-22-2010 | 08:29 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
MINUtia what intake do you have?

Old 04-22-2010 | 08:37 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
I've heard some of the biggest gains are with the stock intake.

Old 04-22-2010 | 08:41 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
seafoam the car

Just SeaFoamed mine yesterday and that hesitation seems to be gone.

Old 04-22-2010 | 08:49 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Hmm I had seafoamed my car a few weeks ago. Maybe Ill do it again lol

Old 04-22-2010 | 09:24 AM
uMouse
1st Gear
SF'ed the car last night (soaked overnight) and again this morning (30 min soak). Smoke plumed for about 10-15 minutes. Initial drive to work had noticeably less hesitation going through 3k. This was a short 10 minute drive. I still have a small amount of SF left so will see how it goes by end of week.

FedEx Santa just dropped off my present. :P

Word of warning for SF'ers. If you wear latex gloves and use your thumb and tube to meter in the SF... be aware that the suction is strong enough to suck the latex! I was wearing thick black gloves.. either I snagged my thumb on the clip or it wouldn't want to release but it sucked a 2mm hole from my glove

Old 04-22-2010 | 10:08 AM
MINIutia
3rd Gear
Stock. Jan says that they generate higher numbers. I'd say mine reinforces that premise.

Old 04-22-2010 | 08:15 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Hey Jan, I sent you an email

Old 04-23-2010 | 06:58 AM
Revolution Mini Works
|
Banned
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
Hey Jan, I sent you an email

tool is in the mail.......you will get a tracking shortly

Old 04-24-2010 | 01:53 AM
Chilli_Red
1st Gear
Replacing OE File

Hope you guys can help, I have just received my Mod file from Jan (super quick service). My question is before I load it into the MINI I thought I would just check to see how I could replace the OE (unmodified) file back in again as and when needed.
I can't seem to see it at all on the Flash Tool handset menu, it must be there somewhere because I sent it to Jan, but when going into the "Writing" menu it only shows the Mod file and no other option or arrow to select it.
What am I missing? As some of you have already switched between files please could you help me.
Thanks in advance.

I have this same question in with Jan (thanks Jan), but I know he is busy so thought I would also ask here.

Old 04-24-2010 | 04:44 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JAS76
So I got the new canned tune up from Jan. Car runs great! Does not pull as hard as the first tune but you all saw what happen. Overall I am very happy with it. I will need to drive it more to get the full effect.

Has anyone with the canned tune here have a hesitation under full load around 3k-4k? That is the only thing that does not feel right. Any ideas?

-J
Though I have a different tune than you, I have that same hesitation at right about 3500 rpms. I'll nail the gas and it's like the car "hiccups" at 3500 and keeps going smooth all the way to 7K rpms.

I'm not sweating it, I'm waiting until Jan comes around and I put it on the dyno and let him tweak it.

Mark

PS. Jan....

MUCH better than the last time.

Old 04-24-2010 | 05:08 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Interesting to read about this "hiccup"... Mine does that with the OEM tune. I've got an on ramp that has two awesome turns before it points up to merge onto I-395 (headed home) and as I pull through third gear, right around 3500, it feels like the car "stumbles" for just a second and then it keeps on going.

I've got the GoLink setup now so I can do some data logging and maybe see what's doing it.

Old 04-24-2010 | 09:08 AM
Revolution Mini Works
|
Banned
Originally Posted by Chilli_Red
Hope you guys can help, I have just received my Mod file from Jan (super quick service). My question is before I load it into the MINI I thought I would just check to see how I could replace the OE (unmodified) file back in again as and when needed.
I can't seem to see it at all on the Flash Tool handset menu, it must be there somewhere because I sent it to Jan, but when going into the "Writing" menu it only shows the Mod file and no other option or arrow to select it.
What am I missing? As some of you have already switched between files please could you help me.
Thanks in advance.

I have this same question in with Jan (thanks Jan), but I know he is busy so thought I would also ask here.
it's there
MYGFile
and for some strange reason it isn't I have it here

Old 04-24-2010 | 09:09 PM
kmashint
1st Gear
tune loaded to my 2007 MCS for a smoother and harder power curve

Thanks Jan!

I loaded up the MOD file from Jan and enjoyed a much smoother yet harder and more responsive power curve on my test drive after a movie. It's a shame I'm going away for a few weeks but at least I have some driving to enjoy it on Sunday to visit friends and relatives.

After I get used to it, I'll switch back to the original JCW Tuning file to see the difference. From the live fuel usage readout I'm guessing fuel economy will be a little worse with more turbo kicking in but I can always go back to the original if I want the boring but practical fuel economy.

You can't have it all ... where would you put it?
-- Steve Wright

Old 04-25-2010 | 06:38 PM
Chilli_Red
1st Gear
As below, could anyone just walk me through, step by step, the re-install process of the original file back onto my MINI? I have not had the nerve to load the Mod file yet, as i just want the comfort of knowing how to replace the OE file, if I need to.
Again thanks in advance.

(Quote) - Hope you guys can help, I have just received my Mod file from Jan (super quick service). My question is before I load it into the MINI I thought I would just check to see how I could replace the OE (unmodified) file back in again as and when needed.
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-25-2010 | 08:58 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
1. Load software on you computer
2. plug in tool to your computer and perform the software/tool update
3. plug tool into car and it will do a protocol check.
4. read out ecu (This is were the tool is serialized to your car's VIN#)
5. save the original file from tool to your computer via the software. (the file will be saved as MYGFile.fpf)
6. email the saved file to Jan, he will modify and send you a MOD file
7. load mod file into tool via software
8. connect tool to car and you should now have the option to load the MOD file or the original file into the car. You should see a set of arrows to scroll through the tunes on your tool if you have more than 1 mod file loaded. If only the original and 1 mod file then you will just get an option to select eigther file. I was told by dimsport the tool can hold 10 files, and you can store as many as you want on your desktop computer.
note: you will not see the read option anymore after getting the original file to send to Jan to tool only allows a WRITE OPTION. You will not be able to write anything back to the car until you have at least 1 MOD file loaded on the tool.

I have done this on 2 cars with 2 tools and worked fine. Hope this helps.

Last edited by killerfox; 04-26-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-25-2010 | 09:05 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by btwdriver

From what I have noticed with the Flash Tool, after you read out the original/stock tune, the READ option is gone. You only have the WRITE option, so not sure you have the ability to re-read the ecu if dealer updates. You might have to contact Dimsport or Jan and see if there is a way to get that option back by resetting tool.

Old 04-25-2010 | 09:44 PM
Chilli_Red
1st Gear
Originally Posted by killerfox
1. Load software on you computer
2. plug in tool to your computer and perform the software/tool update
3. plug tool into car and it will do a protocol check.
4. read out ecu (This is were the tool is serialized to your car's VIN#)
5. save the original file from tool to your computer via the software. (the file will be saved as MYGFile.fpf)
6. email the saved file to Jan, he will modify and send you a MOD file
7. load mod file into tool via software
8. connect tool to car and you should now have the option to load the MOD file or the original file into the car. You should see a set of arrows to scroll through the tunes on your tool. I was told by dimsport the tool can hold 10 files, and you can store as many as you want on your desktop computer.
note: you will not see the read option anymore after getting the original file to send to Jan to tool only allows a WRITE OPTION. You will not be able to write anything back to the car until you have at least 1 MOD file loaded on the tool.

I have done this on 2 cars with 2 tools and worked fine. Hope this helps.
Thanks for this, I have got as far as step 8, but cannot see any option to re-load the original file, that is what I am concerned about. All I see on the screen is as the attached image, with no arrows available to select any other file.
Does this look like what you saw on the two tools you used?
Thanks for your time.

Attached Thumbnails ***OFFICIAL  SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***-img_0048.jpg  
Old 04-26-2010 | 04:15 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
first i select work, then writing, then you see the option for original or modified file.

Attached Thumbnails ***OFFICIAL  SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***-flashtool.jpg  

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ***OFFICIAL SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***