Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ***OFFICIAL SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010 | 05:17 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
A question for those who have been able to upload their modified tunes using the Tuning tool. I'd ask Jan but he's at a family function and I ain't gonna bother him there.

I've got the tool, it talks to the car and the car talks to it. I downloaded my ECU, it's been modified and I have it back. It's on my desktop. When I try to upload it to the Genius tool, it tells me that it's not a valid fpf file and it all stops.

Anyone else have this issue? What'd you do to fix it?

Thanks,
Craig

Old 05-08-2010 | 04:35 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cmcveay
A question for those who have been able to upload their modified tunes using the Tuning tool. I'd ask Jan but he's at a family function and I ain't gonna bother him there.

I've got the tool, it talks to the car and the car talks to it. I downloaded my ECU, it's been modified and I have it back. It's on my desktop. When I try to upload it to the Genius tool, it tells me that it's not a valid fpf file and it all stops.

Thanks,
Craig

Craig,

If you need help and haven't figured it out. You can call me... I brought my tuner home and will walk you through it. (704) 882-1150

Mark

Old 05-08-2010 | 04:45 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Mark,
Thanks! I'm taking my other car to get some work done and I'll give you a shout when I get back. Missed meeting you at the Dragon.

Thanks,
Craig

Old 05-08-2010 | 08:01 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Got a new modified tune file from Jan last week. I uploaded it to the car last night.

Water temp back up to 220 degrees Fahrenheit. No flutter from the turbo BOV either. I need to talk to him about this.

Old 05-08-2010 | 08:06 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cmcveay

Thanks,
Craig

ive experienced this problem too. when i first loaded my map to my computer i made an extra copy of it. turns out when i needed it, the error occured. i didnt know what to do about it so i just left it alone...

Old 05-10-2010 | 06:36 PM
old81
M6
Jan is the best

I finally found some time to download the ecu on my 07 R56 and the 09 JCW R56.

Sent out both files on Sunday night to Jan and I had tunes for both before 8:30 this morning. Wow, turnaround....

Jan, included my stock ecu tune which he saved off last August, my dyno tune image and a new tune which I will call version 2.25 just for grins.

The 09 JCW tune will be interesting to see what it produces as will my new-revised tune, post-dyno.

Both MINIs have the Helix IC, and JCW exhaust systems. I run the DDM works CAI and the JCW has a K&N in the JCW airbox.

Now, I need to find time before I drive out to TN/NC later this week to mess with the new tunes.

Probably will wait until I get back end of month.

I have to say again, that was customer service on getting the tunes turned around.

Don

Old 05-10-2010 | 07:55 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Lucky you got yours so quickly, I still don't haven't gotten my tune back... Guess I need to give Jan a call...

Old 05-11-2010 | 06:21 AM
Revolution Mini Works
|
Banned
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
Lucky you got yours so quickly, I still don't haven't gotten my tune back... Guess I need to give Jan a call...
I sent you your stock tune back over 2 weeks ago

Old 05-11-2010 | 06:55 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Uh-oh. I am still waiting for my stock tune, too. Now I wonder if the ethernet ate it?

Old 05-11-2010 | 07:34 AM
Revolution Mini Works
|
Banned
Originally Posted by OPC
Uh-oh. I am still waiting for my stock tune, too. Now I wonder if the ethernet ate it?
didn't eat yours. You got lost in the mass of emails

just sent it out

Old 05-11-2010 | 07:37 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
didn't eat yours. You got lost in the mass of emails

just sent it out
Thanks, Jan.

It's too bad there isn't an ethernet monster out there that eats [tune] files. I would have loved that excuse for future use.

Old 05-11-2010 | 07:53 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I sent you your stock tune back over 2 weeks ago
All I have right now is stock, the modified tune didn't work. I'll give you a call after I get to work, thanks.

Old 05-11-2010 | 08:13 AM
Revolution Mini Works
|
Banned
All I have right now is stock, the modified tune didn't work. I'll give you a call after I get to work, thanks.

sent you the dyno tune file again

Old 05-11-2010 | 09:25 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
sent you the dyno tune file again
Thanks Jan! Uploaded it to my car and it runs, unlike the Challenge car file I got before; haven't driven it yet, but it revs more freely. I'm sure I'll be as amazed as everyone else here!

Old 05-11-2010 | 02:22 PM
old81
M6
Man oh man, check your spam folder. When I expect emails and don't see them, I check the SPAM trap.

Actually, when Jan sent the files to me, he cc'd the alternate email at aol.com at my request, yes it went to SPAM.

Ready to upload, but some dealer work before we do the JCW.

Don

Old 05-11-2010 | 02:47 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Man oh man, check your spam folder. When I expect emails and don't see them, I check the SPAM trap.

Actually, when Jan sent the files to me, he cc'd the alternate email at aol.com at my request, yes it went to SPAM.

Ready to upload, but some dealer work before we do the JCW.

Don
Nope, it wasn't that at all, I've gotten other emails from him.

Anyways, he sent me my dyno tune file promptly this morning and it's all good now. The issue was I wanted some of those extras like the bov flutter, exhaust burble and whatnot and should have asked for my dyno file earlier.

The bov flutter is for JCWs from the Challenge car and that didn't work out on my S. I just wanted my dyno tune file in the meantime until Jan figures out if it's at all possible to put it on a standard S. All is good now!

Old 05-11-2010 | 03:55 PM
mlg2ca
2nd Gear
Jan,

Sent my money via Paypal last Saturday. orangecrush and n1tr0 convinced me to go ahead.

Old 05-11-2010 | 09:22 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
Jan- when can the we expect news on new updates and when the pop and burble will be available to the masses?

Thanks

Old 05-11-2010 | 09:26 PM
Revolution Mini Works
|
Banned
Originally Posted by PoktRokt
Jan- when can the we expect news on new updates and when the pop and burble will be available to the masses?

Thanks
we are doing some special porsche tuning at the moment. I'm hoping to finish this up soon so we can work on some special stuff for the R56

I will let everyone know once it's done

Old 05-11-2010 | 10:09 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
we are doing some special porsche tuning at the moment. I'm hoping to finish this up soon so we can work on some special stuff for the R56

I will let everyone know once it's done
Do you think that the pop and burble will be available by the end of May? Because that is when I will have money to buy the tune.

Old 05-12-2010 | 07:36 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
I started this thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-any-tune.html in the 09+ factory JCW sub forum. If you have a 09+ factory JCW that has been tuned please click on the link and add to that thread.

Old 05-13-2010 | 07:10 AM
scottmd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by erbair
An update for those with a stock MCS, wondering how the "canned tune" will be:

Its great! The car feels much happier than it ever did before, if that makes sense. Its a lot of fun to be in second at 2500 rpm and get on it. Brings a smile to my face: Definite power increase, much smoother powerband. Only downside is the speed limit approaches much more rapidly now

As for non-sport mode with the tune, I don't notice much of a difference between stock and the tune. With sport mode on, I still don't notice substantial difference, other than a little bit more sensitivity.

I do recommend leaving it out of sport mode if you are looking for better gas mileage. I think it is easier to take the car into partial boost than before.

I do have a slight issue, but I'm assuming its a side effect of "canned" tune not being a perfect fit. I'm not too worried about it, and I'm sure Jan will have an update for me after this initial onslaught is over. Gotta give him credit for having to deal with 100 or so of us all at the same time
Hi erbair...perhaps you could comment on the following part...I'm sure I must be misunderstanding what you wrote. You seem happy with the tune...and yet this seems to suggest that "you don't notice much difference" in either non-sport or sport mode...just increased sensitivity??

Originally Posted by erbair
As for non-sport mode with the tune, I don't notice much of a difference between stock and the tune. With sport mode on, I still don't notice substantial difference, other than a little bit more sensitivity.

Old 05-13-2010 | 11:17 AM
OH REALLY
3rd Gear
i would like a pop and buble

Old 05-13-2010 | 11:50 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Pop and burble would be awesome. My exhaust is sounding a little more quiet and sedate after getting my tune. I think it's because the car is a little down on power below 2.5K rpms (MUCH more power above), but it feels way smoother and more drivable around the city. Above 2.5k it's still quieter than before, but wayyyy quicker. Has a higher redline too.

I noticed the car also makes a bit of an air sucking noise that wasn't there before. Haven't really investigated this at all yet; it doesn't bother me at all.

Old 05-13-2010 | 12:46 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Pop and burble would be awesome. My exhaust is sounding a little more quiet and sedate after getting my tune. I think it's because the car is a little down on power below 2.5K rpms (MUCH more power above), but it feels way smoother and more drivable around the city. Above 2.5k it's still quieter than before, but wayyyy quicker. Has a higher redline too.

I noticed the car also makes a bit of an air sucking noise that wasn't there before. Haven't really investigated this at all yet; it doesn't bother me at all.

A bit of a air sucking noise? My m7 Super AGS now makes a big WOOOSSHH. I'm loving it!!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ***OFFICIAL SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***