Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ***OFFICIAL SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010 | 02:06 PM
skippydog
3rd Gear
Old 09-02-2010 | 02:11 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
That is for a 1.8T....

I've been in a Mk5 2.0T with their Stage 3+ kit.....it was an absolute animal. Brutally fast

Old 09-03-2010 | 05:20 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
He knows exactly where the P&B mapping is, and knows exactly how to get it to do it....so no worries. Like you said, he wants to get EVERYTHING else figured out before he throws on something as trivial as the P&B. Also, not sure if you saw my other post about my latest tune, but it fixes the non-linear nature of the throttle.

We spent all day just tuning for driveability, and in the end I'm darn certain we're making a lot more power as well. The throttle is very linear, the car is a lot easier to drive smoother, and the boost comes on very hard, yet in a very progressive nature. Kinda what you mentioned, it would sometimes come on hard, sometimes it wouldnt...you really never knew what it was going to do. And a lot of the time it would instantly boost up to 18psi when you only were putting down maybe half throttle, which made driving it smoothly a challenge. All those problems have been fixed.
Thumper, when was this post about the "latest" tune? I ask because I got an updated file for my 1st gear limiter 2 weeks ago I believe. I remember reading you were spending some time with him to fix some issues, but was this more recent than 2 weeks? Definitely interested in this if so. You explained the boost/throttle perfectly. I'll be really happy if this was solved. The tune is def ALOT better since my dyno tune. Power is still about the same, but the driveability has increased a lot.

And to go with what engine said, this most recent tune has also helped signs of backfiring, which I used to get coming off the throttle/downshifting with a hotter engine. Signs AFR adjustments were improved

Old 09-03-2010 | 06:56 AM
Ladybug-S
2nd Gear
We spent all day just tuning for driveability, and in the end I'm darn certain we're making a lot more power as well. The throttle is very linear, the car is a lot easier to drive smoother, and the boost comes on very hard, yet in a very progressive nature. Kinda what you mentioned, it would sometimes come on hard, sometimes it wouldnt...you really never knew what it was going to do. And a lot of the time it would instantly boost up to 18psi when you only were putting down maybe half throttle, which made driving it smoothly a challenge. All those problems have been fixed.
YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would LOVE some of that.

Old 09-03-2010 | 07:31 AM
Revolution Mini Works
|
Banned
it's coming guys.......not too much longer......

Old 09-03-2010 | 07:47 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
:::trying to wait patiently::: =]

Old 09-03-2010 | 09:08 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
We're rooting for ya. I still trust you more than the Alta guy behind the scenes tweaking thier AccessPort maps.

Old 09-03-2010 | 09:31 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Only getting a little confused here. Are you guys talking about the canned tune, the custom tune or both with these flat spot tweeks? I've got the custom tune and there was a flat spot at 3500rpm that Jan corrected on the dyno. It's been just fine for me ever since. The resident club hot shoe drove it recently and said it was the strongest MCS he'd ever driven. I can live with that, LOL!

Old 09-03-2010 | 09:59 AM
M3irish
1st Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
We're rooting for ya. I still trust you more than the Alta guy behind the scenes tweaking thier AccessPort maps.
By "Alta guy" do you mean Jeff Perrin?

Old 09-03-2010 | 11:38 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Originally Posted by M3irish
By "Alta guy" do you mean Jeff Perrin?

Why do people have to start slinging crap and trying to start flame wars?

Old 09-03-2010 | 11:51 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
I think people were seeing it on canned & dyno. For me, it was dyno tune. Not everybody has the issue either, though. I had the slight idle issue on the dyno, and Jan took care of that then. I didn't see the hesitation of course till being on the road, so thats been dealt with remotely so far. Its gotten better, and I can tell things are smoothing out which is real nice. Looking for that extra reach to get it just about perfect.

Old 09-03-2010 | 12:14 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works

Patiently standing by!

Old 09-03-2010 | 12:26 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BostonR56S
I think people were seeing it on canned & dyno. For me, it was dyno tune. Not everybody has the issue either, though. I had the slight idle issue on the dyno, and Jan took care of that then. I didn't see the hesitation of course till being on the road, so thats been dealt with remotely so far. Its gotten better, and I can tell things are smoothing out which is real nice. Looking for that extra reach to get it just about perfect.
Thanks R56S! You also jogged my memory with your comment about not everyone having the same issue. I now remember Jan saying as he started my tune that he running into yet another different OEM map and code and this was last March! I think he said mine was the 7th or 8th one he'd run into. I don't know squat about programing, but could all these variations in OEM maps be the source of the confusion? Interesting to say the least!

Old 09-03-2010 | 01:20 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Originally Posted by david in germany

Patiently standing by!
if by patiently you mean fidgeting like a 5-yo that's gotten up too early on Christmas morning

There are tons and tons of ecu variations, it makes me wonder how Alta's able to test all the different combination's without doing the traveling dyno-road-show like Jan's been doing for the last couple years.

Old 09-03-2010 | 01:50 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Thats easy enough to answer n1tr0. If they come across a different variation the AP is capable of collecting the info on the ECU and it can also data log a ton of parameters, these logs can be dumped to a PC and emailed to them. The tune can be tweaked from the information in the data log. Obviously not everyone one of their tunes will initially work 100% correctly due to all of the variations but they have the means to quickly update the tune and fix any issues that might arise.

I can't wait until Jan finishes with his updates and is able to start sending out updated map files for all of his customers with the MyGenius tool.

Old 09-03-2010 | 04:09 PM
BostonR56S
Banned
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
Thanks R56S! You also jogged my memory with your comment about not everyone having the same issue. I now remember Jan saying as he started my tune that he running into yet another different OEM map and code and this was last March! I think he said mine was the 7th or 8th one he'd run into. I don't know squat about programing, but could all these variations in OEM maps be the source of the confusion? Interesting to say the least!
I believe this is the conclusion our local club came to, as we each tested out each other's rmw r56's. Two of us (me included) had our windows reprogrammed for the irratic behavior bouncing up and down (which mine still has and have accepted will never get fixed), and because of the window reprogramming/re-initialized, the ecu was updated. And it seemed the 1st gear lag was much more prominent on our two MINIS, whereas it was not noticiable on the other MINI's there. So, yes, it seems it could very well be the problem.

I had a skipped heartbeat too at the dyno, as Jan initially plugged into my obd ii and said uh oh, this is ANOTHER new map--- thought I waited all that time and wasn't gonna be able to get the tune.haha he made it work though.

Old 09-03-2010 | 05:25 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
I'm wondering if the first and second gear limiters cause the bucking shifts from first to second? And to my homies that posted up the gti numbers all I can say is holy!!! Cats!!! No wonder that guy snubbed me when he passed. But then again I wasn't trying and I backed off after third gear and did the speed limit. It would be awesome to have those numbers in my jcw. How do we do it....

Old 09-03-2010 | 06:40 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
I'm wondering if the first and second gear limiters cause the bucking shifts from first to second? And to my homies that posted up the gti numbers all I can say is holy!!! Cats!!! No wonder that guy snubbed me when he passed. But then again I wasn't trying and I backed off after third gear and did the speed limit. It would be awesome to have those numbers in my jcw. How do we do it....
I still run into that a bit while the car's not fully warmed up, but Jan made some changes to the mid-throttle sensitivity on my previous tune which helped and the boost limiter update did wonders to further smooth it out.
Just as a side note, it didn't just smooth it out, it accelerates much harder and the exhaust doesn't make the raspy noise (which I believe was the wastegate opening).

oh & that gti kit, aside from starting with some extra displacement, that kit includes a TON of hardware, most of which we don't have vendors even attempting to make for the Mini
Larger MAF housings, new ecm, bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, bigger turbo, exhaust manifold, downpipe, ... and it's $5k in parts alone, not including install, hardly comparable to a flash only solution...

Last edited by n1tr0; 09-03-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2010 | 07:18 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
I guess I'll be checking my email 30 times a day now

Old 09-03-2010 | 07:19 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
Yeah I checked out the apr site . They need to work on minis. Apr looks pretty high dollar too. That kits 5k and you need a cai , ic and exhaust. So with all that it's really high dollar. It would be awesome puttin that power down and still get 30 mpg at 75 mph. But i'm sure that isn't possible.

Old 09-03-2010 | 07:46 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BostonR56S
I believe this is the conclusion our local club came to, as we each tested out each other's rmw r56's. Two of us (me included) had our windows reprogrammed for the irratic behavior bouncing up and down (which mine still has and have accepted will never get fixed), and because of the window reprogramming/re-initialized, the ecu was updated. And it seemed the 1st gear lag was much more prominent on our two MINIS, whereas it was not noticiable on the other MINI's there. So, yes, it seems it could very well be the problem.

I had a skipped heartbeat too at the dyno, as Jan initially plugged into my obd ii and said uh oh, this is ANOTHER new map--- thought I waited all that time and wasn't gonna be able to get the tune.haha he made it work though.
BINGO! My windows went nucking futs a year before the tune and they re-mapped the car at that time. BTW, I keep hearing rumors that BMW de-tuned the MCS with that re-map. I wonder........?

Old 09-03-2010 | 09:44 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
Sweeeeet!

Old 09-03-2010 | 10:29 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Yeah I checked out the apr site . They need to work on minis. Apr looks pretty high dollar too. That kits 5k and you need a cai , ic and exhaust. So with all that it's really high dollar. It would be awesome puttin that power down and still get 30 mpg at 75 mph. But i'm sure that isn't possible.
Yea the thing is...the market for GTI's, Jetta's, A3's, A4's, TT's is huuuuge, not to mention they all share the same motor. So, companies like APR have no problem investing lots of $$ to develop product for those.

You wouldn't spend 5k for a working turbo kit on the MINI? Say 300+ to the wheels? I would. (If I had it...)

I actually have a couple of ideas for a kit, and one was close to being finalized but like most things in the aftermarket car world....plans fell through.

Old 09-04-2010 | 05:27 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
You got me thumper I would spend that for 300 at the wheels buddy. 2500 would be better . I'm thinking that a os giken clutch would be needed with that much power. Jan can we get a discount on os giken clutches.

Old 09-04-2010 | 09:23 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
You got me thumper I would spend that for 300 at the wheels buddy. 2500 would be better . I'm thinking that a os giken clutch would be needed with that much power. Jan can we get a discount on os giken clutches.
And lsd, R comp tires, wheels, Euro JCW Recaro Seats, harness, more HPDE days to learn to handle it.... $$$$ Just remember - in the end, you can't take it with you so have fun now

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ***OFFICIAL SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***