Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ***OFFICIAL SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010 | 08:56 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
I was also thinking that as much as a pain in the but it is, it may be saving my clutch or who knows what else from some wear.

Old 09-17-2010 | 10:14 AM
Buli
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
I left Jeff a VM yesterday about shipping them. Should have them soon
Can you explain? Who will be getting updated files? When will they ship?

Oh, and Pop and Burble?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 09-18-2010 | 03:43 PM
mikemc
3rd Gear
ya, i'm confused also... is the Accessthingy like the tune tool? i mean does it do the same thing only more? i haven't really read any clarity on this new tool.. i would rather have performance over sound.. i'm trying to find a way to get that and go faster!

Last edited by mikemc; 09-18-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2010 | 03:52 PM
M3irish
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mikemc
ya, i'm confused also... is the Accessthingy like the tune tool? i mean does it do the same thing only more? i haven't really read any clarity on this new tool.. i would rather have performance over sound.. i'm trying to find a way to get that and go faster!
Lots of info if you are interested:
http://cobbtuning.com/info/?id=5399
and here:
http://www.altaperformance.com/products/show/683/

Cheers,
Rob

Old 09-18-2010 | 05:12 PM
mikemc
3rd Gear
that looks very similar to what i just dropped my dollars on a little while back.. whats so special about it that i didnt get with the dimsport one?

Old 09-18-2010 | 10:41 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
It's nice that this one can read and clear codes and do data logging. Accessport is a great product... The dimsport unit just loads the tune onto the car. The only downside may be the Alta tune, I dunno if I'd trust it. RMW's tune probably has a lot more users who've helped make it a solid tune.

Old 09-20-2010 | 08:46 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
I apologize ahead of time if this is a dumb question. I'm having the dealership check out an issue I'm having with my Bluetooth / iPod software package next week. They mentioned that it might be a software "glitch". I'm not sure what they would try to resolve it, but when I've run into software "glitches" on computers I either try reinstalling or upgrading. Assuming they try upgrading, will this impact my tune at all? I don't see how the engine control unit would have any impact on the bluetooth software, but I just wanted to ask the dumb question for peace of mind.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-20-2010 | 09:16 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by silhouette88
I apologize ahead of time if this is a dumb question. I'm having the dealership check out an issue I'm having with my Bluetooth / iPod software package next week. They mentioned that it might be a software "glitch". I'm not sure what they would try to resolve it, but when I've run into software "glitches" on computers I either try reinstalling or upgrading. Assuming they try upgrading, will this impact my tune at all? I don't see how the engine control unit would have any impact on the bluetooth software, but I just wanted to ask the dumb question for peace of mind.

Thanks in advance!
I could be wrong, but I think you better pull the tune and re-install the OEM map before handing over your MINI to the dealer. When I had the window dipper problem they re-mapped the computer program. This was before I had Jan's tune. Hey, would one of you computer geeks help SILHOUETTE88 on this? I'm already in waaay over my head!

Old 09-20-2010 | 09:30 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
When I had the iPod adapter installed with the tune they indicated the software would allow them to leave the engine maps alone by deselecting them. They were wrong. That was the old software they ised, the new software remaps the entire ECU. You will need to reinstall your tune.

Old 09-20-2010 | 09:35 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Thanks Dwight and SpyVsSpy. I'm definitely going to flash it back to stock before I hand it over to them, and I have no problem reflashing it later to put Jan's tune back on. I guess I was just wondering why they would even touch the engine software stuff when it's just the Bluetooth / iPod software that's hosed. Unless the whole thing is one big shared system. I guess I'll find out soon. I hope I can keep my tune *and* have working Bluetooth.

Old 09-20-2010 | 10:47 PM
aaronvb
2nd Gear
I believe you can reset the dimsport(not the same as a vin reset) which will let you download the new ecu that BMW may put on. Then send that to Jan as per the original instructions.

This was discussed in an earlier post in this thread. Someone else got a new ecu upgrade and asked wether or he/she should put the tune back on.

Last edited by aaronvb; 09-21-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-21-2010 | 03:55 AM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Hey guys, I am going to one of Jan's custom tuning sessions in October and have a quick question. I have been thinking about getting a 2.5 inch custom exhaust set up, basically like the one BostonR56S has, and was wondering if doing it before instead of after the tuning session would be better for my tune. Also, I will be keeping the stock DP.

Old 09-21-2010 | 06:44 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
Hey guys, I am going to one of Jan's custom tuning sessions in October and have a quick question. I have been thinking about getting a 2.5 inch custom exhaust set up, basically like the one BostonR56S has, and was wondering if doing it before instead of after the tuning session would be better for my tune. Also, I will be keeping the stock DP.
If you had an amputated leg, and were going in for rehab, would you put the prostetic leg on before or after the rehab? (lol TERRIBLE example, it was literally the first thing that popped in my head), sorry. haha
But no, I would abosolutely do the exhaust before the tune, as parameters will change with more exhaust flow, fast turbo spool etc, which he can adjust for on the dyno. If you have a more restrictive exhaust, air fuel, timing etc will be compensated for in different ways, its like 2+3=5, if you change "3" to "4", it will = 6, not 5. (another terrible example =) trying to work with lamens terms here lol ::flamesuit on:

Old 09-21-2010 | 07:34 AM
OH REALLY
3rd Gear
ok so whats going on here with the updated tunes from jane can any one bring me up to date

Old 09-21-2010 | 08:18 AM
M3irish
1st Gear
Originally Posted by silhouette88

Thanks in advance!
Whenever the BMW/Mini dealership updates any module in the vehicle, they will update every module in the vehicle. If the dealership updates your Bluetooth/iPod module your ECU/DME will be updated if it's not already at the latest version.

My suggestion if to uninstall the AP, if you have one, or flash a stock map back on if you have the DimSport tool.

Rob

Old 09-21-2010 | 08:41 AM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Originally Posted by aaronvb
I believe you can reset the dimsport(not the same as a vin reset) which will let you download the new ecu that BMW may put on. Then send that to Jan as per the original instructions.

This was discussed in an earlier post in this thread. Someone else got a new ecu upgrade and asked wether or he/she should put the tune back on.
Perfect, thanks for the point in the right direction. I guess I have some reading to do.

Old 09-21-2010 | 10:12 AM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BostonR56S
If you had an amputated leg, and were going in for rehab, would you put the prostetic leg on before or after the rehab? (lol TERRIBLE example, it was literally the first thing that popped in my head), sorry. haha
But no, I would abosolutely do the exhaust before the tune, as parameters will change with more exhaust flow, fast turbo spool etc, which he can adjust for on the dyno. If you have a more restrictive exhaust, air fuel, timing etc will be compensated for in different ways, its like 2+3=5, if you change "3" to "4", it will = 6, not 5. (another terrible example =) trying to work with lamens terms here lol ::flamesuit on:
Crap, now I need to start saving for a new exhaust . Hopefully the exhaust shop I go to can get me a deal on the magnaflow parts. Also, Boston when do you get your Mini back from the dealership? Because I am anxious to know if the resonator killed most the drone.

Old 09-21-2010 | 12:05 PM
M3irish
1st Gear
The Mini ECU is highly adaptive so the idea of putting on an exhaust first seems sound especially if you plan on getting tuned once. However most all modern cars require a tune for the parts being run at the time. The MCS/JCW running a TBE without a tune is no exception. Does the car run, sure. Is it optimal? No, not really. Running the proper tune for your cars current parts list is almost always advised for the safety of the motor.

If a tuning device is available with access to multiple tunes for different combination of parts that can be used at anytime, then there is no worry about getting the part before the tune to save cost in the end. The tuning tool can be purchased first giving great power up front w/ the flexibility to add parts on down the road for more power all while having a tune available for those parts. The AP happens to have this ability. My suggestion would be to get a AP before any hard parts.

Rob

Old 09-21-2010 | 02:47 PM
BostonR56S
Banned
Originally Posted by M3irish
The Mini ECU is highly adaptive so the idea of putting on an exhaust first seems sound especially if you plan on getting tuned once. However most all modern cars require a tune for the parts being run at the time. The MCS/JCW running a TBE without a tune is no exception. Does the car run, sure. Is it optimal? No, not really. Running the proper tune for your cars current parts list is almost always advised for the safety of the motor.

If a tuning device is available with access to multiple tunes for different combination of parts that can be used at anytime, then there is no worry about getting the part before the tune to save cost in the end. The tuning tool can be purchased first giving great power up front w/ the flexibility to add parts on down the road for more power all while having a tune available for those parts. The AP happens to have this ability. My suggestion would be to get a AP before any hard parts.

Rob
Sure I agree, but then you're getting into a dyno tune vs a can tune down the road. If he dyno tunes his car stock, he will c a delta in power. Then if he adds an exhaust later (which is he planning to do anyways), then he will receive a canned tune update (+50$ for a new tune w/ a new part per RMW), which will not fully use the potential of the exhaust. Each and every exhaust is different, in terms of materials, bends, sizes, diameters, tip choice, etc etc. A canned tune for an exhaust is based off of one design of exhaust. Plus, the canned tune then nulls the point of having the dyno tune ahead of time, which costs an extra 100$ due to the dyno time. If he is going to do tune then exhaust, mind as well not even bother with a dyno tune. If he is planning on getting the exhaust anyways, get it before the tune and have it installed (no negative benefits to the engine running an exhaust with stock ecu, stock ecu can adjust for up to 2 degrees of timing if im correct), plus before the unichip/mynes/rmw tune, nearly 100% of people ran exhausts without a tune. I did for a year, not gonna lie.
If he gets the parts before hand and has the muffler broken in (as materials need time to settle), and then goes up for a dyno tune, Jan will be able to more precisely tune for that exhaust.
thats my .02.

@David-- i get it back this Friday. I've driven a week with the resonator on, and it hasn't gotten any louder after the first day. So its settled in (I drive over 600 miles a week)-- the drone is much much improved from when I originally did it. Honestly, if the amount of noise in the car now bothers one, then one might as well not get an exhaust, as they won't be able to handle the expected increased decibel noise created from an exhaust anyways. Do it. If you're really worried, leave the 2nd cat on, or get a longer resonator (not by much though, mine fit right in the straight part of the front of the exhaust when we welded it in, so maybe one or two more inches of resonator would be ok). You can always go up in diameter too, but I'm not positive how this would effect drone/sound (technically, it would muffle it more, but they are so straight through that its hard to tell).
Get your parts off performancepeddler.com it almost definitely won't be cheaper at an exhaust shop. aluminized steel piping is the cheaper way to go. If you don't see salt, its not a problem. I do, and I have aluminized steel, but I rinse my underbody once a week in the winter anyways (new england), and i don't have problems with it rusting now after 2 winters with it. good luck!

Old 09-22-2010 | 06:14 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Boston - that was a bad analogy but it made the point. I am looking at making a few mods and then having a tune. Buuuttt...I can't find any dyno tunes in the Northeast. You seem to have your ear to the gound...is Jan coming up to the Snow country anytime soon Can't find any postings.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 09-22-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-22-2010 | 06:41 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Eddie,
Do what I did! Find a shop with a Dyno that'll host the event and then get together at least 8-10 people who want tunes (check with Jan to see what other cars he's willing to work on while he's there) and make it happen! I was lucky because Dan at Mach V took it and ran with it to coordinate dates with Jan and to take deposits to schedule a spot.

I agree with the posts above though, get your mods out of the way before your tune but there are a couple of mods that Jan can adjust for afterward.

Good luck and enjoy it when you can make it happen!

Old 09-27-2010 | 09:16 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
ANyone have an update from Jan as to the status of the revised Tune from the original group-buy?? I thought Jan said last week??

Old 09-28-2010 | 03:49 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Jan's been so busy lately, he hasn't even had time to post anything to this thread so I'm guessing the end of the racing season has him scrambling like crazy. I'm willing to bet we'll see more from Jan once he gets a chance to see his family and sleep for 3-4 days straight.

While not directly related to this thread, I did order a downstream 02 sensor standoff with a catlytic grid from bigdaddy's garage. It arrived in the mail yesterday and I'll try to get out and install it this evening if the rain stops... I've got the RR Catted/Coated DP and the CEL (P0420) that goes with it so I'm crossing my fingers that this neat little device will fix it up.

Old 09-28-2010 | 11:37 AM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
I'll be talking to him in person in early October . So, I can probably find out some info if he does not post by then.

Old 09-28-2010 | 12:03 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Got a really brief/rushed response from Jan (sent via his phone) indicating later this week for additional news. So he's still alive

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ***OFFICIAL SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***