Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Velocity Adjustable Throttle Booster System- Wow

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok it's just like hitting the sport button but more sensitive. This sounds pretty cool seeing how I can't drive my mini unless the sports button is engaged. The price seems alittle high for me so hopefully at some point there will be a sale or a group buy. Also I'm trying to get a better idea where this thing actually plugs into.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Mad piper
2nd Gear
So no increase in peak hp and tq, just really great throttle response?

Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 PM
mikemc
3rd Gear
well its not a chip... more like a program i guess. it makes the throttle respond faster, so IMO, no, no increase in hp. what you got is what you got as far as that goes. but, it just gets what you got, goin... faster.. check it out on this link from M7...

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_...p;fullscreen=1

i got mine @ pyspeed for cheaper though

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hp?product=421

there is a coupon code on the ink above and they will give you a discount if you use it, as a member of NAM

Old 02-10-2010, 04:54 PM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mad piper
So no increase in peak hp and tq, just really great throttle response?
It doesn't change peak hp or tq. It also doesn't change the hp or tq at any point on the curves. For that matter, it doesn't change any preformance parameters at all. It doesn't even change throttle response in the traditional sense of the word, but people can argue the point. It is a user interface mod and ,for many people, increases their enjoyment of the car by adding more throttle with less pedal.

It works as I described above. It is installed between the accel. potentiometer and the ECU and provides an altered signal to the ECU. This is a similar (but much improved) device to the old altered throttle linkages people put in back in the good old days (which I hear weren't always good).

Old 02-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
This sounds amazing every time I check out this thread. Would be nice to get a group buy on these and maybe getting even more of a discount.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:02 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i personally don't see the point of it. adding adjustability to a car that doesn't have it like the R53 or civic or whatever then yeah, great idea. but for a car that has a device that was first in the BMW M cars, then put in our R56, why mess with it? not to mention the sport button is stock, no charge, and unlike the spring booster or any other electronic throttle adjustment piece, the sport button changes steering effort as well.

having something with a lot of adjustability seems almost over the top, like a 3in exhaust, just a bragging right. for instance most coilovers have "30 way adjustable dampening"... ok, i know many people that are 100% happy with KW V1s with no adjustment, or JCW, or lowering springs... all of which have no adjustment. but that is neither here nor there.

what i'm trying to say is... why? NIKE pumps had adjustable air cushions that you adjusted yourself... does that make you jump higher? all just metaphors obviously. but having faster throttle response on a turbo car that's stock i can see the interest... but once you start throwing power mods on it it's almost unnecessary IMHO. just because yes throttle response is important, but if power to the front wheels are significantly higher than stock, having razor sharp throttle response could hurt the car on the track, causing the car at what would normally be part throttle to now go full throttle, jumping into overboost mid corner, ending up with broken traction and/or heavy understeer. on a track that's not so bad, but on a public road could be no bueno.

so if the car's not making any more power why spend the $$ on it? the same money could get an intake, discounted catback, JCW steeringwheel (which when you think about it, is used even more than the throttle or any other part of the car nix the driver seat). so on an R53, this can be a godsend, but why on an R56 which already has a throttle adjustment button built in? technically speaking every product has a potential following, and i'm sure the product is perfectly fine, i myself have never used it, but have been in a car that has it, so i know how it works and how well it works. and frankly it's great at what it does (for the $$ it better be)... then again it's on his R53 with just a15% pulley and helix intake.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dunphyj
i personally don't see the point of it. adding adjustability to a car that doesn't have it like the R53 or civic or whatever then yeah, great idea. but for a car that has a device that was first in the BMW M cars, then put in our R56, why mess with it? not to mention the sport button is stock, no charge, and unlike the spring booster or any other electronic throttle adjustment piece, the sport button changes steering effort as well.

having something with a lot of adjustability seems almost over the top, like a 3in exhaust, just a bragging right. for instance most coilovers have "30 way adjustable dampening"... ok, i know many people that are 100% happy with KW V1s with no adjustment, or JCW, or lowering springs... all of which have no adjustment. but that is neither here nor there.

what i'm trying to say is... why? NIKE pumps had adjustable air cushions that you adjusted yourself... does that make you jump higher? all just metaphors obviously. but having faster throttle response on a turbo car that's stock i can see the interest... but once you start throwing power mods on it it's almost unnecessary IMHO. just because yes throttle response is important, but if power to the front wheels are significantly higher than stock, having razor sharp throttle response could hurt the car on the track, causing the car at what would normally be part throttle to now go full throttle, jumping into overboost mid corner, ending up with broken traction and/or heavy understeer. on a track that's not so bad, but on a public road could be no bueno.

so if the car's not making any more power why spend the $$ on it? the same money could get an intake, discounted catback, JCW steeringwheel (which when you think about it, is used even more than the throttle or any other part of the car nix the driver seat). so on an R53, this can be a godsend, but why on an R56 which already has a throttle adjustment button built in? technically speaking every product has a potential following, and i'm sure the product is perfectly fine, i myself have never used it, but have been in a car that has it, so i know how it works and how well it works. and frankly it's great at what it does (for the $$ it better be)... then again it's on his R53 with just a15% pulley and helix intake.
+1

Old 02-10-2010, 09:23 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigjoeski08
This sounds amazing every time I check out this thread. Would be nice to get a group buy on these and maybe getting even more of a discount.
You're going to see 0 need for it once you get your tune....

Trust me.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 PM
user 7082082
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha great way of wasting money. Get a tune instead.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 AM
JamesHunt
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
You're going to see 0 need for it once you get your tune....

Trust me.

I have mine sold to a buddy that does not have a tune.( he paid msrp )

Old 02-11-2010, 08:03 AM
danielo
4th Gear
Why pay good money on something that you can get yourself. Want mor throttle for the same pedal travel? Just use your ankle a bit more!

It's really what simple!

Why buy a brick to reach 3 inches higher, why not just go on your tip toes.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
These types of products DO NOT improve throttle response, they adjust throttle angle reaction. Your throttle petal is a potentiometer (actually 2 I believe) that sends voltage to your DME, indicating how far you have depressed that go pedal. This device adjusts the voltage to trick the DME into thinking that you have pressed the gas more than you actually have. In other words, if you have pressed the gas 50% the DME now thinks you have pressed it 100% (or some such ratio). It will not improve performance, power, or throttle response.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 02-11-2010, 06:58 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
just installed

Old 02-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
This is a cool device but everyone is right about the tunes. I remember my old car EVO before and after a tune and it was night and day.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
mikemc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JamesHunt
just installed
you have a lot of mods on your cooper, just curious what you thought of it?

Old 02-17-2010, 12:57 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by mikemc
you have a lot of mods on your cooper, just curious what you thought of it?

The Booster is fun ,seems to get you to wot much faster which in turn gets you into the powercurve quicker .

I would hate to use the booster with a lite flywheel

Old 04-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
So can anyone who has tried both the Sprintbooster and the M7 Velocity compare them? I'm curious as to how big the range of the 4 modes is on the M7 model as compared to the 2 modes on the SB.

Is the lower-response "sport" mode on the SB not so intrusive as to allow for everyday driving?

Last edited by Headlands; 04-01-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Headlands
So can anyone who has tried both the Sprintbooster and the M7 Velocity compare them? I'm curious as to how big the range of the 4 modes is on the M7 model as compared to the 2 modes on the SB.

Is the lower-response "sport" mode on the SB not so intrusive as to allow for everyday driving?
I have had both on my R53 and the velocity unit IMO is alot better than the SB. You can fully adjust it to your driving style and depending on your mood can have it ranging from mild to wild
Bottom line is more choice....

Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 AM
n733lk
5th Gear
How about the D1 Spec Throttle Controller? This offers even more "steps" than the Velocity. Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks.