Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Sush@BSH
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Someday maybe -- if you guys ever offer a fitment for the N18...

Get with DoS, DetroitTuned, WayMotorWorks and CustomMINIShop. The N18 Competition Catch Can Kit is coming VERRRRY Soon (Within 2 weeks) and these guys will have it

Originally Posted by TheCheatOSX
Catch Can with Boost Port block installed 4/4/11 @ 25,500 miles after dealership carbon blasting with walnut media.

Currently 6/27/11 @ 29,000.

This is a small pint jar, not a normal quart mason.

BSH Catch Can Juice
WOW! Glad you kept that out of your intercooler/intake manifold so you not right back at the dealership asking for another walnut shelling!

Originally Posted by DneprDave
After about four months, 16 ounce bottle.

Dave
Dave, thanks for posting this up... how many miles is being shown here? And do you have a Boost Tap (as a block off) on as well?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:32 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
That is after about 5000 miles. I do have the BSH dual boost tap installed as a block off. I'm using one of the taps for a vaccum/boost gage.

I've noticed that it collects more gunk when the weather is cool.

Dave

Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I've noticed that it collects more gunk when the weather is cool.
Because the cooler / colder weather induces more condensation, especially if the engine oil never reaches full running temp.

- Erik

Old 06-28-2011, 02:21 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sush@BSH
Get with DoS, DetroitTuned, WayMotorWorks and CustomMINIShop. The N18 Competition Catch Can Kit is coming VERRRRY Soon (Within 2 weeks) and these guys will have it
sush,
thanks for the info. one question for a concerned N18 owner. do you guys have any idea what MINI did with the pcv valve where people have installed the boost tap on N14 engines to block off? are those gases/vapors being internally recirculated back to the intake manifold? thanks in advance for any info, and thanks for bringing an N18 application to the market.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Phil@BSH
Neutral
Jomama,

Thank you for your question. It is now common practice for OEM’s to merge crank case pressures in the valve cover to be excavated through either a pair or a single outlet. As many early adopters of the twin exit design ran into frequent failure on the check valves that were intended to stop pressure created by the turbocharger to leading to costly warranty repairs it is now much more common place to see single outlet systems which are vacuum only. The N18 and N54 are good examples of this. This single exit design is also the fundamental principle behind our N14 catch can kit/boost tap combo.

Inside of the valve cover there will be a some sort of baffling, typically a series of half height walls, that will slow down blowby gasses and collect some of the oil held in them. There will be a series of drains inside of the valve cover that will drain this oil directly back into the oil pan. The concept of these drains going to the intake ports is not only incorrect, it is completely illogical so please let us put that to rest. Put simply, the level of complexity in the preventative measures to stop boost pressure and the possibility of backfire flash from entering the crank case is outrageous. As seen by end users, this baffle system alone does not suffice for either the performance driver or the automotive enthusiast whom puts pride in their vehicle.

Furthermore, the single outlet design is the superior means of crank case ventilation. The intake pre turbo provides a constant low pressure area for blowby gasses to escape to without the potential for boost pressure to ever act on the PCV system. This meets all requirements of a PCV system in both function and emissions compliance and with an able catch can in the loop it meets the needs of those who demand more as well.

All the best,
BSH

Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
Thanks Phil So is the new catch can the same as the old one? or is there a new design!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Sush@BSH
1st Gear
leomulhollandiii,

Although the Catch Can for the N18 will be the same basic design as the N14, the fittings involved with having a NO Hose Cutting solution will be very different and quite a bit more costly. More information as to what is in the kit as well as pricing will come from the dealers WayMotorWorks, DefendersOfSpeed, DetroitTuned and CustomMINIShop when the kit is made available to them.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sush@BSH
leomulhollandiii,

Although the Catch Can for the N18 will be the same basic design as the N14, the fittings involved with having a NO Hose Cutting solution will be very different and quite a bit more costly. More information as to what is in the kit as well as pricing will come from the dealers WayMotorWorks, DefendersOfSpeed, DetroitTuned and CustomMINIShop when the kit is made available to them.
I'm just happy that you guys proved me right with the debate on the new n18 engine! It's nice to finally see ppl that know what they are doing and why they do it. BTW your products are fantastic and very well built! it's been a pleasure!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Phil@BSH
Neutral
Originally Posted by leomulhollandiii
Thanks Phil So is the new catch can the same as the old one? or is there a new design!
You are welcome.

The can will physically look the same, however it uses our next gen baffle system which is new this year. We bought a new machine last year that allows us to do some pretty trick sheet work now. All of our kits now ship like this however.

The rest of the kit will be N18 specific as Sush mentioned.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:31 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Phil@BSH
Jomama,

Thank you for your question. It is now common practice for OEM’s to merge crank case pressures in the valve cover to be excavated through either a pair or a single outlet. As many early adopters of the twin exit design ran into frequent failure on the check valves that were intended to stop pressure created by the turbocharger to leading to costly warranty repairs it is now much more common place to see single outlet systems which are vacuum only. The N18 and N54 are good examples of this. This single exit design is also the fundamental principle behind our N14 catch can kit/boost tap combo.

Inside of the valve cover there will be a some sort of baffling, typically a series of half height walls, that will slow down blowby gasses and collect some of the oil held in them. There will be a series of drains inside of the valve cover that will drain this oil directly back into the oil pan. The concept of these drains going to the intake ports is not only incorrect, it is completely illogical so please let us put that to rest. Put simply, the level of complexity in the preventative measures to stop boost pressure and the possibility of backfire flash from entering the crank case is outrageous. As seen by end users, this baffle system alone does not suffice for either the performance driver or the automotive enthusiast whom puts pride in their vehicle.

Furthermore, the single outlet design is the superior means of crank case ventilation. The intake pre turbo provides a constant low pressure area for blowby gasses to escape to without the potential for boost pressure to ever act on the PCV system. This meets all requirements of a PCV system in both function and emissions compliance and with an able catch can in the loop it meets the needs of those who demand more as well.

All the best,
BSH
phil,
thanks for the information! i'm glad to hear that the N18 functions the way you described it. so is it safe to assume that you guys will be providing a competition occ (with the dipstick) for the N18s? and it sounds like it will be a little more money than what the N14 occ sells for, if i read sush's comment correctly.
i've had my car since 4/9 and bought an fmic a week after i took delivery of my car. but i've been waiting to install an occ before putting the fmic on. hopefully this will all go down soon! thanks again and i look forward to seeing the new product!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Phil@BSH
Neutral
That is correct, the can will come with our next gen baffle, the dipstick and all push lock fittings. The N18 also will feature some forged aluminum AN fittings to make the complex bends required of the kit while still being able to maintain the look of a new vehicles engine bay. These aren't cheap, but neither was your car and we wouldn't want you modifying it as such.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:04 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil@BSH
Jomama,

All the best,
BSH
Makes sense to me. Thanks for the confirmation. Now, just hoping that these new N18 cans haven't been priced beyond my threshold of pain...

Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
I just ordered my BSH OCC and Dual boost tap. I am a little late to the game, 56k miles, but better late then never. So looking forward to installing it. I want to thank everyone on the blog for helping me decide this is the way to go.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
I odered my BSH OCC from Way Motors and when I went to install it, I was a little frustrated that there were no instructions. With the BSH Boost Tap, there were three adapters and I could not initially figure how it all connected. Thanks for the great pictures on this site because I finally figured it out and have mine connnect

Old 07-16-2011, 01:13 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
Old 07-23-2011, 04:47 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Review: BSH Speed Shop Oil Catch Can & Direct Dual Boost Tap

"...pulling the oil vapor from your valvetrain..."

Background:
There's been heavy discussion on the N14's positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system and how it seriously influences the result of carbon build-up on the intake valves of the cylinder head. I wanted to systematically test and see if the amount of oil being pulled from the valve cover was based on engine design, or driver technique.

- Disclaimer -
As always, I am NOT responsible for the careless acts of others when using this DIY as a reference.
Basically all of you are smart enough not to stab yourself, the very important wiring, or the paint on your car.
Be careful and take any precautionary measures that you deem necessary for completing this task.

Supplies:
* BSH Spped Shop - Competition Oil Catch Can (#20201011) assembly kit
* BSH Speed Shop - Direct Dual Boost Tap (#20201102)
* locktite or hightemp RTV silicone

Review (Direct Dual Boost Tap):
Following the outlined details from BSH's website, I started with assembling the billet boost tap housing and fitted the O-rings and the block-off plug. To ensure the seal of the plug, I lightly smeared a layer of RTV silicone on the threads and then snugged it down. Currently at the time of installation, I wasn't planning to run a boost gauge, so I attempted to fit in both of the 1/8"NPT vacuum port plugs. With the billet housing anodized after being fabricated, I could not get the vacuum plugs to properly thread. So bad, that I had to locate a 1/8" thread tap and re-tap and clean the threads to accept the plugs. After cleaning, again I smeared on some RTV silicone and installed the plugs. Fitment of the housing into the passenger side PCV spout was spot on and double o-ring seal was excellent. However the retaining hardware clip needed a quick sanding after being lasered out of stainless; it had some sharp edges and splinters that needed to be removed for installation and fit + finish.

Ratings (out of 10 scale: 1-poor, 10-perfect / learning: 1-hard / 10-easy)

Installation Time: 7
* very simple to orient direction; however had to clean up threads on housing
Learning Experience: 8
* simple, effective - however, BSH should include comprehensive paper directions within the box
Performance: 10
* perfectly blocks off the passenger side PCV spout and with no blow-by
Bang-for-the-Buck: 6
* it's seems expensive for a lathed / milled piece of aluminum; but that's because I think some of the quality control checks were lacking. If everything was simple from right out the box, this would have seen a higher rating
Overall Rating: 8.5
* properly fits within the engine bay and appreciate the black finish to make it not standout

Name:  IMG_2960s.jpg
Views: 2103
Size:  30.3 KB

Review (Competition Oil Catch Can):
The can assembly was similar in terms of assembling the billet tap barbs that attach to the driver side PCV spout and the turbo inlet pipe; fit both with the proper o-rings. Similar to the boost tap, no directions were provided in the box, printed them off to have a "quick cheat sheet" near me if thing went south. After removing the OEM PCV tube from the engine, I inserted the adapter barbs. The driver spout adapter went in without a hitch; however the turbo inlet tube adapter needed some serious grunt to put in. The o-rings on the inlet tube adapter were a little to fat and the plastic inlet tube actually cut into the o-rings slicing a small tangental piece. The seal still held after inserting, but the adapter has a small loose-feeling 'wiggle' to it.

Now, my 2009 model has the available security system with the hood latch sensor mounted to the same mounting place as the catch can. Instead of mounting underneath the mounting tab or underneath the sensor (which would have improperly raised the sensor above the weather sealing), I made a replacement bracket out of 18 guage 304 stainless. Similar to the catch can and the OEM sensor bracket, I cleaned and painted the L-bracket and the new sensor bracket so that would not stand out in the engine bay.

Name:  IMG_7190s.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2963s.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  38.7 KB

Once the can was mounted, the plastic tab of the cowl didn't seem to happy about the excess weight. The can kind of 'flapped' around and made me hesitant to continue, as I thought surely a bump impact from the susension may crack this tab off, dropping the can. But I pressed on and installed the push lock tubing. I measured, aligned and cut the tubing to my desired lengths. After installing, the can flopping sensation went away; great! However, now my eyes were distracted by the white imprinted lettering on the hose. I removed the hoses from their connections and wiped them down with acetone; within seconds the white lettering was removed leaving just a clean tube. Re-installed and was content and the appearance.

Ratings (out of 10 scale: 1-poor, 10-perfect / learning: 1-hard / 10-easy)

Installation Time: 8
* BSH estimates an hour, I spent just under 45 mins.
Learning Experience: 7
* complete kit; great craftsmenship, but again BSH should include comprehensive paper directions within the box
Performance: 9
* after just a quick drive, I already saw oil collecting in the can
Bang-for-the-Buck: 8
* fit and finish of the can is higher than the boost tap assembly; love the wrinkle finish and the detail work
Overall Rating: 9
* the final result would pass by even the most picky of on-lookers; assuming you put in some elbow grease to clean up some loose ends.

Name:  IMG_7196s.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  42.9 KB

Follow up with how-much oil is pulled will be recorded and posted by the end of summer.

- Erik

Last edited by bluefox280; 08-09-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job Eric!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:04 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Maugre
Nice job Eric!
Thanks! Always looking for ways to a little clean-up in the engine bay.

- Erik

Old 07-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Sush@BSH
1st Gear
Thanks for the write up and the input bluefox280.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Chilao
1st Gear
Erik,
I'm starting my catch can and boost tap install this weekend, so thanks for the write-up. Like you, I'm using the boost tap to close the other PCV port. You connected the existing hose to the boost tap, but since the tap is now plugged, nothing goes into the hose, correct? Where does the other end of the hose go? And could it be removed?

Sush@BSH: Why aren't installation instructions included with either the catch can or the boost tap? With all the effort BSH obviously put into developing the can & the tap, there's got to be a reason for not including instructions.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:01 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Chilao
Erik,
I'm starting my catch can and boost tap install this weekend, so thanks for the write-up. Like you, I'm using the boost tap to close the other PCV port. You connected the existing hose to the boost tap, but since the tap is now plugged, nothing goes into the hose, correct? Where does the other end of the hose go? And could it be removed?

Sush@BSH: Why aren't installation instructions included with either the catch can or the boost tap? With all the effort BSH obviously put into developing the can & the tap, there's got to be a reason for not including instructions.
The other end of the Passenger side PCV hose goes to the intake manifold. I used one of the two taps for a signal source for my vacuum/boost gage. The other tap could be used as a port for Methanol Injection, BSH sells that too.

Dave

Old 07-28-2011, 12:39 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Erik, I'm starting my catch can and boost tap install this weekend, so thanks for the write-up.
You're welcome; good luck on yours and would love to see your final product.

And as DneprDave correctly put, the other end of the hose is already attached to the intake manifold.
It's technically a "dead" volume space if you're not hooking up a gauge.

Yes, the hose could be removed thanks to czar's detailed help.
But you wouldn't use the boost tap; instead there are OEM cover plugs for the valve cover and intake manifold.

- Erik

Old 07-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Chilao
1st Gear
Erik,
I checked the plugs for the tap I received and, like yours, the threads are tight. I can only get about one complete turn. I noticed on your pictures that your plugs didn't screw all the way flush to the tap. I don't have access to a tap/dye set so I'll look for a heavy bolt and see if I can clear out the threads the old fashion way.
Is there much pressure against the plugs? Will loctite create an air tight seal?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:30 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
I noticed on your pictures that your plugs didn't screw all the way flush to the tap. I don't have access to a tap/dye set so I'll look for a heavy bolt and see if I can clear out the threads the old fashion way.
Do not use a standard bolt; the threads are an 1/8 NPT pipe thread that tapers inward.
Garb local 1/8 NPT tap from any local hardware store.

Originally Posted by Chilao;
Is there much pressure against the plugs? Will loctite create an air tight seal?
The pressure is whatever boost your car is pushing out.
Locktite will work, but I preferred the RTV silicone so I could easily remove the plugs later for accessories.

- Erik

Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SpyVsSpy
I just ordered my BSH OCC and Dual boost tap. I am a little late to the game, 56k miles, but better late then never. So looking forward to installing it. I want to thank everyone on the blog for helping me decide this is the way to go.
This is the results after 4 weeks. I am curious, the oil is on top and I figure water on the bottom, what the heck is the creamy gunk in the middle? Is that dirt build up?

Attached Thumbnails BSH catch can and dual boost port install-oil-catch-can.jpg  

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install