Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SpyVsSpy
...what the heck is the creamy gunk in the middle?
Actually, that white gunk is the reaction between oil vapor and water, which is likely due to condensation based on your driving habits and environment. Are you driving short trips? If so those short trips are not allowing the engine to properly get to running temp and the condensation (due to the high humidity in Washington) is not 'burning' off.

- Erik

Old 08-11-2011, 01:33 PM
D Unit
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone using the dual boost port "just" for an easy way for seafoam treatments? Can someone share a pic of what they came up with?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Czar had a post ,Seafoam Effects, that made an awful lot of sense. I have the dual boost port, and I adapted a fitting that when the time came, I was going to do the Seafoam treatment. After reading Czars post, I removed said fitting.
I've had a BSH catch can since day one, and if I feel or see the need to remove the carbon buildup, I'll just pull the head and do a proper job of it. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:28 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Did my first drain on with the BSH oil catch can yesterday:

Name:  IMG_0812s.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  50.7 KB

Car info: 2009 R55 JCW
Current Date: 9/10/2011
Current Mileage: 9107 miles
Miles since Last Emptied: 567 miles

Notes:
- first time to drain out since installation; only removed ~0.5 ounce of oil
- found out that oil crankcrase was overfilled appoximately ~0.3 quart for first ~250 miles of driving
- removed excessive oil and catch can level seemed to not increase; will confirm with future driving with crankcase filled to proper level
- no water condensation found in mixture

Observation: being in Colorado where the weather stays significantly dry, there was no water condensation within the can, rubber lines, or the oil mixture. Car is driven on 20+ min trips with no short trip occurding to make sure engine is up to running temp for a good portion of being out. It was noted that the oil level was higher than the max reading on dip stick, and oil had been collecting right away in the OCC. After removing the excess oil in the crankcase, it appeared that the level (through the OCC dipstick) never increased after such. To confirm, I'll follow up with results making sure the crankcase is not overfilled.

My preliminary thoughts: overfilled crankcases could be part of the reason of intake valve carbon build-up.

- Erik

Old 09-11-2011, 01:40 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D Unit
Anyone using the dual boost port "just" for an easy way for seafoam treatments? Can someone share a pic of what they came up with?
These pics are with the use of a hemostat to control ingestion. I have since picked up a small "air" valve that's used on aquariums.

Attached Thumbnails BSH catch can and dual boost port install-seafoam1.jpg   BSH catch can and dual boost port install-seafoam3.jpg   BSH catch can and dual boost port install-seafoam4.jpg  
Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefox280
My preliminary thoughts: overfilled crankcases could be part of the reason of intake valve carbon build-up.
Um... no.

Overfilling your car with oil becomes a problem when the level of the oil reaches the spinning crankshaft. The crankshaft can whip the oil into a foam, which your oil pump does enjoy, which means your engine will not be getting the oil it needs to protect itself.

There's not some magical level of the oil beyond which fumes are pulled through the PCV system. In fact, most of the fumes that cause carbon build-up problems by way of the PCV system are blow-by fumes that are already suspended in the air within the crankcase; not fumes rising off oil sitting in the pan.

I understand your observations, but I assure you it's coincidence, nothing more.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:29 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
I understand your observations, but I assure you it's coincidence, nothing more.
Figured the sloshing and foaming of the oil could induce more vapor...
Guess I'll keep tracking the blow-by and continue with the experiment, thanks fishbert.

- Erik

Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 PM
teamrodney
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at the instructions for the BSH dual boost port,they don't seem to show that the PCV hose can be blocked off which is the whole point of installing it for use solely for the catch can.Am I missing something?

All I want is to block off the PCV hose,not install a boost gauge which seems to be the point of the Dual Boost Tap.

Last edited by teamrodney; 09-12-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Rodney -

The pipe plug that comes with the kit is to be threaded into the body of the Boost Tap thereby blocking off all flow in both directions. Be sure to apply a drop of the Loctite, also comes with the kit, to the threads before the final install.

Good Luck,

Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 AM
teamrodney
2nd Gear
I have just received two BSH catch cans.Whilst one seems ok,the other does not seem to seal properly where the dip stick enters the can.The o ring seems loose as the hole must be too large. The other can has a very tight fit for the dipstick entering the can.Very unhappy with the quality since postage return from Australia is not cheap. Have yet to take this up with BSH.
I was also under the impression that the can had some sort of baffling to facilitate condensation of the oil vapour.It seems to me that vapour entering one hole and being pushed out an adjacent hole will not allow full settling of any suspended oil vapours

Old 09-27-2011, 02:40 AM
teamrodney
2nd Gear
Just received two catch cans here in Australia. Very disappointed that the fit of the dipstick in one of the cans is so poor that it fails to seal the can. Hoping a larger o-ring might do the trick. The joys of buying things on line.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Maurtis
3rd Gear
Used BSH OCC and tap in marketplace

In case anyone is looking for a BSH OCC and boost tap for the 2007-2010 MCS, I put mine up for sale in the marketplace https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/marketplace/showproduct.php/product/20862 for $140 shipped.

It worked fine, just took it off in preparation to sell my MINI. The need for more doors and the warranty security blanket means she has to go. Countryman? Possibly...

Last edited by Maurtis; 09-28-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Buli
1st Gear
I have had my OCC for a year now. I took the duel port plug out and found this.

The color is off a little. It is rust. Looks bad to me. Seems like it could have been made of stainless steel as it gets moisture but not oil where it is at.

I removed the plug and left the rest as is. I was thinking about doing that anyway as I now have a Aqumist system.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 AM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
That's exactly what mine looked like: rusted and nasty. I took it out as well and I've been looking for an alternative for a little while now.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Put a brass plug in it.

Dave

Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 AM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Yes, that had occurred to me as the easiest and cheapest solution. However, I found my BSH can didn't catch as well as I would have liked. I put the can on at around 1000 miles, and when I upgraded my intercooler at around 8000, I found oil basically everywhere. Intake, turbo, stock intercooler, etc. I'm not sure why that would be so, but I've been looking at swapping catch cans for a while. I'm just not sure whether or not I want to attach it to the passenger side, or put it on the drivers side and use the boost tap again only to take it off for track days or something. Too bad, because I liked the BSH can a lot.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:44 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MaverickGun
Yes, that had occurred to me as the easiest and cheapest solution. However, I found my BSH can didn't catch as well as I would have liked. I put the can on at around 1000 miles, and when I upgraded my intercooler at around 8000, I found oil basically everywhere. Intake, turbo, stock intercooler, etc. I'm not sure why that would be so, but I've been looking at swapping catch cans for a while. I'm just not sure whether or not I want to attach it to the passenger side, or put it on the drivers side and use the boost tap again only to take it off for track days or something. Too bad, because I liked the BSH can a lot.
Were you dumping the can when it needed to be emptied?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 AM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Yep. I did that pretty religiously due to all of the bad things that would happen should the can get too full. I never let it get more then halfway full at any time. I'm not saying that what happened to me is the norm, and I know there are lots and lots of people who have this can without issues. This was just my experience.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:32 AM
minti
1st Gear
Even a good Oil Catch Can would never "catch" all oil and vapor.
So, one will still have some corbonized oil in the intake - might be just less than without occ.

Seen this already?
http://www.etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=12&t=299

Last edited by minti; 10-09-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minti
Even a good Oil Catch Can would never "catch" all oil and vapor.
So, one will still have some corbonized oil in the intake - might be just less than without occ.

Seen this already?
http://www.etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=12&t=299
That has been posted a few times before.
But implementing it points all the oily crankcase fumes toward the turbo and intercooler. It should never be done without a catch can on that line. But even then, as you point out, oily vapors will still get through... and, depending on the efficiency of the catch can, it may (maybe, maybe not) end up being more oil that gets trapped in the intercooler than before, since now it doesn't only see that outward flow when under boost, but at all times.

All things being the same, however, I'd probably still rather blow liquid out of the intercooler than scrape crusties from the intake ports.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:55 PM
john171
3rd Gear
OEM cover plugs/caps

So what you're saying is that the dealers carry plugs/caps to seal off the port where the pcv is located in the manifold? Do you have part numbers by any chance? And do you know if they are available at any of the after-market sites? I will do some digging and report back in case you do not have the info.

Sounds better than buying the boost tap either way. Thanks.

Originally Posted by bluefox280
You're welcome; good luck on yours and would love to see your final product.

And as DneprDave correctly put, the other end of the hose is already attached to the intake manifold.
It's technically a "dead" volume space if you're not hooking up a gauge.

Yes, the hose could be removed thanks to czar's detailed help.
But you wouldn't use the boost tap; instead there are OEM cover plugs for the valve cover and intake manifold.

- Erik

Old 10-12-2011, 04:35 PM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by john171
So what you're saying is that the dealers carry plugs/caps to seal off the port where the pcv is located in the manifold? Do you have part numbers by any chance? And do you know if they are available at any of the after-market sites? I will do some digging and report back in case you do not have the info.

Sounds better than buying the boost tap either way. Thanks.
The OEM caps spoken of are a Peugeot part #0361S4. I don't think anyone supplies them stateside, so you have to find a source in Europe to ship them to you.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BBoshart
The OEM caps spoken of are a Peugeot part #0361S4. I don't think anyone supplies them stateside, so you have to find a source in Europe to ship them to you.
Have you tried any local Peugeot dealers?
I'm checking tomorrow with one near us.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:31 PM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by john171
Have you tried any local Peugeot dealers?
I'm checking tomorrow with one near us.
I don't think Peugeot has a U.S. dealer network. I got mine from the UK. PM sent.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:52 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BBoshart
MINI probably won't have any on-hand, but should be able to order them. The intake manifold is unchanged from the N14 engine to the N18 engine, but the N18 internalizes that PCV line to the valve cover, ditching the hose. MINI uses this cap to plug that unused port on the intake manifold of all N18 engines.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install