Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 PM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishbert
MINI probably won't have any on-hand, but should be able to order them. The intake manifold is unchanged from the N14 engine to the N18 engine, but the N18 internalizes that PCV line to the valve cover, ditching the hose. MINI uses this cap to plug that unused port on the intake manifold of all N18 engines.
That does make sense that MINI would start carrying them then. Unfortunately, I couldn't find on RealOEM the part number listed.

Last edited by BBoshart; 10-13-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM
basil49
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another BSH catch can install with DoS CAI present

I added the BSH Catch-Can and Boost Tap Plug to my R56S (N14 engine) this week, after installing Clint's DoS CAI last year. (For anyone not familiar with the situation: when the DoS CAI is present, you need to pick an new location for the catch-can that's "not immediately in front of the driver".)

I attached the can directly to the plastic firewall-cover near the battery (on the passenger side) with the kit stainless screws and two new stainless fender-washers: easy install with an offset screwdriver when you loosen the airdam under the passenger-side windshield wiper (which is secured with just three nuts). I also applied a few zipties to keep the hoses more-attached to their fittings and to also help persuade the hoses to "radius" nicely without collapsing where they bend.

UPDATE: back from a road-trip: 700 mostly-highway miles this weekend with the catch-can installed.
Two-PLUS syringe-fulls (five fluid ounces) of nasty white gunk-laden liquid removed from the catch-can.

I'm a believer. Call. Order the catch-can and the boost-tap-plug.

Attached Thumbnails BSH catch can and dual boost port install-img_3554.jpg   BSH catch can and dual boost port install-img_3555.jpg  

Last edited by basil49; 11-20-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: update after first 700 miles with the can installed
Old 11-24-2011, 07:31 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I installed a BSH catch can a few weeks ago in my 08 mcs with 50k. I didn't do enough research and did not realize that a plug for the passenger side hose. I read that blocking the other hose was important, so ordered the dual boost tap. After 2 weeks, there was nothing accumulated in the can, but some spatter on the dipstick. After about 200 miles (4 days) since blocking the passenger side tube with the boost port, I had about 1/2" of white fluid in the can. Like many other owners, I am suprised how much crap gets caught.

Just another satisfied user of the BSH setup. Make sure you get the dual boost tap, even if you just block both boost ports like I did.

Mike

Old 11-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Chilao
1st Gear
So how much gunk is missed if the boost tap is not used?
Here's my dilemma:
I had a serious loss of compression in the #1 cylinder and had my 2008 Clubman S towed to my dealership in Monrovia. (I trust Jim, my service advisor.)
They hadn't yet found the cause but he was worried that MINI would not cover the work under warranty because of the modification. (I suspect that this statement will set off another round of discussions.)
When they opened the engine, they concluded that the cause was a notch taken out of the edge of a valve probably due to penciling from the injector. So the catch can mod was no longer an issue. A MINI rep had visited the dealership & confirmed the cause and the warranty coverage. My service advisor asked about the catch can. The MINI rep liked the idea but wanted the boost tap removed.
I'm planning on getting an extended warranty but I'd rather not give MINI the opportunity to decline any warranty claim. I realize I could always fight with MINI USA. But over a catch can?

Old 11-25-2011, 09:59 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
The catch can, by itself, wouldn't affect the operation of the PCV system. It is just added volume in the line from the headcover/PCV valve to the Turbocharger inlet, which allows oil and water vapor to drop out of the crankcase gasses and be collected.

The dual boost port blocks off one of the PCV lines and so it is a modification to the emission control system, which is against federal law.

There is a large variation in dealers and their acceptance of owner modifications to their cars. My local dealer is very mod friendly. I asked the shop foreman about BSH catch cans and the dual boost port. The first thing he said was that is a modification to the emission control system, but he also said that he had never seen any issues related to the oil catch can and dual boost port on any car that came through the shop with them installed.

I think I would remove the dual boost port and leave the oil catch can, if I were to bring my car to the dealer for any engine warranty issues, it only takes a few minutes

Dave

Old 11-25-2011, 04:18 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
The catch can, by itself, wouldn't affect the operation of the PCV system. It is just added volume in the line from the headcover/PCV valve to the Turbocharger inlet, which allows oil and water vapor to drop out of the crankcase gasses and be collected.

The dual boost port blocks off one of the PCV lines and so it is a modification to the emission control system, which is against federal law.

There is a large variation in dealers and their acceptance of owner modifications to their cars. My local dealer is very mod friendly. I asked the shop foreman about BSH catch cans and the dual boost port. The first thing he said was that is a modification to the emission control system, but he also said that he had never seen any issues related to the oil catch can and dual boost port on any car that came through the shop with them installed.

I think I would remove the dual boost port and leave the oil catch can, if I were to bring my car to the dealer for any engine warranty issues, it only takes a few minutes

Dave
So is the consensus that adding the boost port helps collect more vapor, or that it is a wash, considering the cost of the port?
I have the CC installed in the traditional way, except for location, mounted it on the pass side since my air intake is still in place, without the port and have been following this thread for a while and am wondering how much of an advantage is gained by using the port.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:38 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
From reading this thread, it seems that the passenger side tube is the primary vent under vacuum conditions. Under boost conditions, the driver side tube becomes the primary vent. It would seem that someone that is a commuter (like myself), would benefit from the boost tap addition. For people that drive their car hard, or track only, it is probably fine with just the catch can.

This is a reply that I received from Sushil at BSH:

"The BSH R56 Boost Tap is what is used to Block off The Passenger hose (See
Link Below). On the instructions, one of the first items is to now insert the
block off into the BSH Boost Tap as that will block flow and route 100% of the
PCV gases through the Catch Can. This method of turning a 2 hose system into a
single line system is better for Street Cars than Race Cars as Race cars would
rather evacuate PCV gases to atmosphere (not having them recirculate at all) and
get it out as quick as possible."

For my situation (commuter), the single pcv system makes sense. I agree with the above comment that it takes about 3-4 minutes to remove it if your dealer is sensitive, that is a great option. I have also accumulated more 'crap' in the catch can in 4 days with the boost tap than a couple weeks without it.

Also, just buying the boost tap does not block off the passenger side. It is tapped for a plug that you can either install or not. If you are just looking for a boost source, but don't want to block the PCV, you can do this.

I cannot say enough how good the parts are at BSH. They fit well and look good. Getting quick response from BSH was also a good thing.

Mike

Old 11-25-2011, 05:40 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
The PCV hose, from the passenger side of the valve cover to the throttle body, is the main PCV line. It is closed off by the PCV valve when the engine is under boost. The dual boost port, with the block off plug installed, diverts all the crankcase gasses through the driver's side PCV line and to the Turbocharger intake.

I wouldn't recommend installing the dual boost port and block off plug, without also installing the oil catch can on the hose to the turbo inlet.

I just drained about 6 oz of oily water from my oil catch can today, one thousand miles since I drained it last, that is with the dual boost port and plug in place. It collects more crud when the weather is cold, than when it is not cold.

The original purpose of an oil catch can, on most turbocharged cars, was to catch oil vapors before they could condense in the intercooler and reduce it's efficiency. The purpose of installing the dual boost port, with the block off plug, on turbo MINIs, is to prevent oil from burning on the backs of the intake valves, causing carbon build up and to keep the intercooler clean.

On the 2011 Cooper S and JCW MINIs there are internal passages in the head going to the intake ports, that is what replaced the PCV line to the throttle body on the 2010 models.

The new 2011 head design on the N18 engines may help prevent carbon build up, as not all direct injected engines suffer from carbon build up on the intake valves, like the MINI's N14 engine does.

Time will tell as the new N18 engines get more miles on them and reach the mileage where the N14 engines start to suffer from carbon build up on the intake valves.

Dave

Old 11-25-2011, 06:16 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Well said. I agree that installing the boost tap requires installing the oil catch can, but I did not clearly state that. Like you said, time will tell if the N18 fixes that.

Mike

Old 11-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Chilao
1st Gear
Dave,
I followed your advice & put the boost tap back on. I'll keep a set of allen wrenches in the car if I need to take off the tap before bringing the car back to the dealer.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:24 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
Well said. I agree that installing the boost tap requires installing the oil catch can, but I did not clearly state that. Like you said, time will tell if the N18 fixes that.

Mike
Installing the boost tap does not change the configuration for the OCC, correct? Just want to be sure on this point though it seems evident that it does not change the connections/routing.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:43 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by john171
Installing the boost tap does not change the configuration for the OCC, correct?
Correct, it does NOT change the OCC installation configuration.
Boost tap plug on passenger port, OCC on driver port.

- Erik

Old 11-28-2011, 07:55 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bluefox280
Correct, it does NOT change the OCC installation configuration.
Boost tap plug on passenger port, OCC on driver port.

- Erik
Thanks for the confirmation Erik.
Now to order the tap!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 months!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:48 AM
john171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid

5 months!
Is this one drain, or more over the 5 months? If only one then it would appear you had a nearly full OCC.
BTW, nice reuse of that Smucker's jar!

Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
2 Drain in total. I did my first drain after 2 months. That only filled 1/10 of the jar.

This second time I drain ALOT.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is it just me or has anybody else had the 2 supplied plugs not screw into the adapter? It seems as if they are different thread sizes... The main plug went in fine, both of the other plugs just start and then they won't go further.

And no I didn't cross thread them. In fact they seem a very odd thread size. Looks a lot like m10-1.0

Anyway, I'll be calling BSH this am and get the scoop.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:55 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Is it just me or has anybody else had the 2 supplied plugs not screw into the adapter?
Yes, I did have that issue; I used the same NPT tap as their specs to increase thread depth to start the plugs.

I did let them know of my same troubles back in July 2011 (see post #466 on this thread).

- Erik

Old 12-19-2011, 06:30 AM
etalj
6th Gear
I must say I have had issues with two separate OCCs from BSH. Quality control is not all the way there.

My dual boost port adapter didn't come with a block off bung, and my brother's BSH OCC didn't come with the clip that holds the adapter to the valve cover, as well another problem I forget.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:30 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And what size tap? I can't find mention of it on thier websit or the instructions.?

Old 12-19-2011, 06:45 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
It is a 1/8 NPT pipe tap.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Maugre
It is a 1/8 NPT pipe tap.
For the boost taps, correct!

- Erik

Old 12-19-2011, 12:22 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Is it just me or has anybody else had the 2 supplied plugs not screw into the adapter? It seems as if they are different thread sizes... The main plug went in fine, both of the other plugs just start and then they won't go further.

And no I didn't cross thread them. In fact they seem a very odd thread size. Looks a lot like m10-1.0

Hmm, mine came with the plugs already installed with teflon tape on the thread to boot.
When did you buy yours, and from which shop?
I just got mine in Nov from Way Motor Works.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I need to get off my *** and do this. I guess I will add it onto the 1 other mod and 1 other repair that I have waiting for me.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:59 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
I got mine from Outmotoring, the blockoff plug was with the catch can, and the block off plugs were with the dual boost port. I had no issues installing them, but I did use locktite.

Mike

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install