Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:24 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got it from Way. I ran a 1/8"- pipe tap and got the plugs to fit. Installed it no problems. I think it was the powder coat or paint that made the threads too small.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 AM
teamrodney
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The BSH quality is appallingly bad. Not only did I have the trouble with the boost tap threads being too tight to install the block off s, the o ring for the dipstick was to small and I had to chase around multiple shops to find an o ring large enough to seal.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:04 PM
thomastrain
1st Gear
I had the same issue with the poor quality around the threaded connections from BSH but got my can and dual port plug installed on my 08 clubman S. I live in PA and have emptied the can twice over the course of the 2 months I have had this installed. The liquid appears to be mostly slightly off color gasoline with a little water on top so I have not collected the ugly brown stuff that I have seen in some of the photos here. I am collecting ~150 mls per month driving an estimated ~500 miles / week.
Originally Posted by teamrodney
The BSH quality is appallingly bad. Not only did I have the trouble with the boost tap threads being too tight to install the block off s, the o ring for the dipstick was to small and I had to chase around multiple shops to find an o ring large enough to seal.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 PM
teamrodney
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thomastrain
have emptied the can twice over the course of the 2 months I have had this installed.
After nearly 4000 kilometres I have yet to have any content to be removed from the catch can. The dipstick shows signs of oil spatter but nothing will syringe out. Of course the climate here at the moment is quite warm if that has any effect.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:22 PM
thomastrain
1st Gear
After nearly 4000 kilometres I have yet to have any content to be removed from the catch can. The dipstick shows signs of oil spatter but nothing will syringe out. Of course the climate here at the moment is quite warm if that has any effect.
In Pennsylvania (PA) it has been between 0 and 10 C over the last couple of months so the cold weather likely increases the amount that I am catching in the can.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does, be patient, you will get some .

Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by thomastrain
I had the same issue with the poor quality around the threaded connections from BSH but got my can and dual port plug installed on my 08 clubman S. I live in PA and have emptied the can twice over the course of the 2 months I have had this installed. The liquid appears to be mostly slightly off color gasoline with a little water on top so I have not collected the ugly brown stuff that I have seen in some of the photos here. I am collecting ~150 mls per month driving an estimated ~500 miles / week.
If you're having issues with BSH's parts, drop them an email or give them a call. They're great about customer service and making sure that you're completely satisfied with your purchase.

-Clint

Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Sush@BSH
1st Gear
Originally Posted by john171
Hmm, mine came with the plugs already installed with teflon tape on the thread to boot.
When did you buy yours, and from which shop?
I just got mine in Nov from Way Motor Works.
To all of our customers, we apologize for any added stress or hardship you've endured as a result of the block off plugs for the Boost Tap not threading in correctly. We had recently allowed a bad batch to leave the shop. Please contact us directly (sales@bshspeedshop.com) if you have received one of these said Boost Taps and need assistance in correcting the threading. Although the improperly tapped Boost Taps will still hold the same functionality as they normally should, we will be happy to pay for shipping to and from us to have it fixed. As a result, we have issued changes to our Quality Assurance and Assembly Department, in which you will find that all Boost Taps come with the Plugs Pre-installed so that we know you are getting the quality product you deserve. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience. Happy Holidays to all.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:58 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
While that may be true, it doesn't do anything about the poor fit when it leaves them...

I should have to run a tap on a new part, just to make a plug functional.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by richardsperry
While that may be true, it doesn't do anything about the poor fit when it leaves them...

I should have to run a tap on a new part, just to make a plug functional.
Very true. I completely agree.

I forwarded-on two emails from customers noting the dual boost port thread issue a few months ago. It was a safety issue - they didn't want the taps in their CNC stations to bottom out inside the DBPT's. As of October 2011, I've been receiving dual boost ports from BSH with the plugs already inserted. The plugs thread much more deeply into the DBPT housing than the ones I received this past summer. Appears they may have fixed the threading issue on those parts.

Posting parts problems on a forum is important, that allows others to know your installation experience and offer opinions. However, if I really want a company to improve their parts, I just call or email to tell the vendor what's wrong directly. BSH sent out new DBPT's to my customers that were dissatisfied with the thread engagement on those plugs. They have vastly improved their quality control as well, largely based on direct customer and vendor feedback.

-Clint

Old 12-23-2011, 04:53 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Just a Note,

BSH replied in a post in the Vendor section, that they did have a few that got away from them. They have since fixed that QC issue, and they now leave with the plugs installed. They also state that if you are unhappy, send it to them and they will replace/fix it for you.

I'm cool with that. I may contact Way and have him check the ones he's got in stock. It could save someone else a headache.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:55 PM
pocari
2nd Gear
Not sure if this has been asked yet but would I need to get the BSH Mounting bracket for the OCC if I have the DoS intake? http://defendersofspeed.com/store/pr...?id_product=23

seems a little pricey for a metal bracket

Old 01-15-2012, 02:24 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by pocari
Not sure if this has been asked yet but would I need to get the BSH Mounting bracket for the OCC if I have the DoS intake? http://defendersofspeed.com/store/pr...?id_product=23

seems a little pricey for a metal bracket
Yes, you would need to buy the BSH bracket that you noted or you can fabricate a bracket yourself.

At first brush, the bracket kit seems pricey. However, the bracket is 1/8" thick laser cut stainless steel and all the hardware is also stainless. When it's installed it makes for a very polished and professional OCC installation.

BSH makes these brackets for DoS as a non-stock special order item, so we're lucky to get them. They look great for the lifetime of the product and I'm happy to carry them for our customers.

-Clint

Old 01-15-2012, 03:28 AM
pocari
2nd Gear
Is there a less expensive shipping option for this part btw? Item costs $20 but shipping is $9! :(

Originally Posted by Mini'mon
Yes, you would need to buy the BSH bracket that you noted or you can fabricate a bracket yourself.

At first brush, the bracket kit seems pricey. However, the bracket is 1/8" thick laser cut stainless steel and all the hardware is also stainless. When it's installed it makes for a very polished and professional OCC installation.

BSH makes these brackets for DoS as a non-stock special order item, so we're lucky to get them. They look great for the lifetime of the product and I'm happy to carry them for our customers.

-Clint

Old 01-20-2012, 05:19 PM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 09MellowJCW
No, you do not need to use the boost tap to use the catch can. You do need it to keep the carbon build up off the valves though. To keep the oil out of the intercooler you only need the can.
Hi there,
I know that it is a pretty old topic, but I would like to ask the following.
If I use only the boost tap, and not the catch can, will it help to prevent the carbon build up without any issues for the car?

Thank you,

Marios

Old 01-20-2012, 05:36 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 09MellowJCW
I was going to try to do a custom install of another vendors can until I saw this one on NAM.

The install was very simple and the parts seem to be of very high quality. I love this kit because you do not need to cut the factory PCV tube, and it doesn't neck down to 3/8 hose like the others.

I thought I was going to have to install the can on the firewall because the Alta intake locates the cold air tube right where the CC is supposed to go.

I did find a solution though. By moving the bracket down one hole (see first pic) I used some blue lock tite here to make sure it wouldn't spin with only the one bolt. I was able to use the tab on the fire wall. By mounting the CC bracket on the bottom side of the firewall tab I gained enough hood clearance. At the same time it raised the can up high enough to rest on the factory fresh air tube. I put a piece of rubber between the two.

I should note again that I only had a clearance problem because of the after market intake pushing the fresh air tube further to the right than normal.

Here is the can all installed

It's tight, but there's plenty of room so it doesn't rub (they say you don't need hose clamps here but it seemed too loose to me...)

The dual boost port was a cinch to install as well. I used the optional plug to divert the PCV gasses from both sources through the catch can, thus eliminating the need to run two. That is enough reason to buy it, but it also provides two boost sources if you need them. I already have the Alta boost tap for my BOV so I capped them both. I'll use them for future mods though...

So over all all I absolutely love this CC. I love the looks, I love the fact that I didn't have to cut the factory PCV tube. It was easy to install, high quality, baffled, and most importantly, takes care of booth PCV gas sources with one CC.

The only minor complaints that I have are:

1. The drain plug hole in the CC is not tapered so the plug never gets tight. I'm pretty sure it would fall into the CC if turned in to much? I solved this by going to the auto parts store and getting a plug with a head on it, adding an O ring and screwing it in tight. Obviously it isn't tight yet in the pic

2. The boost port only comes with one plug and two wholes. If you are only using it to block the PCV port, and not as a boost source, you're short a plug.

3. They do not give you a nut to use when you install it on the firewall tab. I picked up a lock nut while I was at the parts store.

Other than those very minor things, This set up is great. Far superior to the others I've seen. I'm sure this will become THE CC to use.
That's exactly how I mounted my BSH. Works perfectly and catches alot of condensation when it's cold out and just a little oil when hot.
Does what it's suppose to do.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by papadimitriou
Hi there,
I know that it is a pretty old topic, but I would like to ask the following.
If I use only the boost tap, and not the catch can, will it help to prevent the carbon build up without any issues for the car?

Thank you,

Marios
Unfortunately, only using the boost tap, you will end up using your intercooler as a catch can and you will still get carbon buildup. I've had the OCC and boost tap from practically day one, money well spent. Don't cut corners, get both, you will not regret it. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:47 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
No.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:37 PM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sales@BSH
Excellent solution..

Maybe time to sell the other boost tap..

The bolt, nut and washers can be used for both mounting locations.

Thank you There is much more to come..

Don't forget to reinsert the factory clip
How long/thick are those 2 hoses for the OCC? I just ordered one but I want to replace with braided aluminum hoses and AN fittings

Old 02-01-2012, 09:44 PM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by basil49
I added the BSH Catch-Can and Boost Tap Plug to my R56S (N14 engine) this week, after installing Clint's DoS CAI last year. (For anyone not familiar with the situation: when the DoS CAI is present, you need to pick an new location for the catch-can that's "not immediately in front of the driver".)

I attached the can directly to the plastic firewall-cover near the battery (on the passenger side) with the kit stainless screws and two new stainless fender-washers: easy install with an offset screwdriver when you loosen the airdam under the passenger-side windshield wiper (which is secured with just three nuts). I also applied a few zipties to keep the hoses more-attached to their fittings and to also help persuade the hoses to "radius" nicely without collapsing where they bend.

UPDATE: back from a road-trip: 700 mostly-highway miles this weekend with the catch-can installed.
Two-PLUS syringe-fulls (five fluid ounces) of nasty white gunk-laden liquid removed from the catch-can.

I'm a believer. Call. Order the catch-can and the boost-tap-plug.
I like where your can is mounted? can you tell me how long those hoses are and what the diameter is? I want to to braided aluminum instead of the rubber and mount them in the same place.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 PM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
MINI probably won't have any on-hand, but should be able to order them. The intake manifold is unchanged from the N14 engine to the N18 engine, but the N18 internalizes that PCV line to the valve cover, ditching the hose. MINI uses this cap to plug that unused port on the intake manifold of all N18 engines.
so what is the point of taking the hose out and blocking off the port...

Old 02-02-2012, 04:10 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
The hose is push lok, I will double check the size when I get home (either -10 or -12). It is a nice, clean install because no clamps are required for the hoses. The fittings are not threaded, you will need to come up with an adapter or tap the aluminum adapters that they include.

Mike

Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
The hose is push lok, I will double check the size when I get home (either -10 or -12). It is a nice, clean install because no clamps are required for the hoses. The fittings are not threaded, you will need to come up with an adapter or tap the aluminum adapters that they include.

Mike
Thanks! jsut double check on that for me if its not too much of a hastle..any ideas on how to make the AN fittings work? or is it worth it just to leave them be and get the braided aluminum?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:59 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phillipcoopersgates
Thanks! jsut double check on that for me if its not too much of a hastle..any ideas on how to make the AN fittings work? or is it worth it just to leave them be and get the braided aluminum?
Just buy the unit, install it, then decide if you want to braid the line, etc.
The BSH comes with a 4' hose so you can cut it where you need.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
Just buy the unit, install it, then decide if you want to braid the line, etc.
The BSH comes with a 4' hose so you can cut it where you need.
I bought it off a friends car so it was pre-cut probably but i want it mounted on the passenger side i think so I was jw how long each braided hose would have to be to plug it into the driver side inputs

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install