Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im just gonna order 6' of JEGS braided stainless but is it -10 or -12?

Old 02-02-2012, 01:40 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phillipcoopersgates
I bought it off a friends car so it was pre-cut probably but i want it mounted on the passenger side i think so I was jw how long each braided hose would have to be to plug it into the driver side inputs
Got ya. Didn't realize it was used.
Not sure of the diameter.
The hose is probably pretty inexpensive from auto parts store.
Probably like a larger sized gas type line since a bit of oil will run into it.
They collect more water condensation then anything but they do work.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:19 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
The hose in my kit is Parker Jiffy push lok, 5/8. This would be -10. You may be able to push on the braided line, but I am not sure how well it would work. These lines are under boost pressure. It is not much pressure (in the hose world), but if the hose blows off the engine will have a massive vacuum leak and probably not idle or run well.
Maybe send BSH an email and see if they could make you a set of fittings with 1/2 NPT threads for AN adapters, or maybe even the -10 endform? Maybe he has done these already.

Mike

Old 02-03-2012, 01:07 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
phillipcoopersgates, your idea would work w/o modding the hose barbs on the can and adapters.

If you want to use AN -10 (5/8") stainless braided lines, I'd use the hose clamps that fake the AN look to finish-off the hose ends. Here's an example: http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...03303/10002/-1

Also if you don't want to plunk down money for AN braided lines, you could just get stainless braid sheaths from Spectre or Wysco and slide them over the Parker Jiffy hose that comes with the BSH kits.

Have fun and definitely send pics once you have something together.

-Clint

Old 02-03-2012, 05:13 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They are most def not under boost.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I finally got off my *** and installed mine last night. I don't have the clamps on the hoses but, there is not much wiggle roome for the go any where. I will keep an eye on it for the next few weeks to see if they loosen up or not.

As far as the install I really did not like the part attached to the intake tube. I didn't cut the hose short enough and had to pull it off and when I did the adapter came with it. The adapter came out eay but was a serious pain to install it. Othere then that everything went smooth and fine. I will just have to check the can in about 500 to 1k miles. I also noticed that I am getting a metal tapping noise from under the valve cover when I was checking the hoses for leaks. I have had the timing chain replaced with tensioner and guides so I know it is not that. I will have to have it looked at when I take it in for the fuelpump and water pump. I might have oil pump replaced to as the last mechanic that worked on it said that it was starting its decline.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
I used the hoses supplied with the catch can, no hose clamps, and it doesn't leak.

The can has been in the car for a year and a half.

Dave

Old 02-03-2012, 08:09 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
No problems with mine (no hose clamps). Been in for 6 months. About every 2 weeks I suction out a little milky crap.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool. I have checked it twice today just to make sure that everything is fine. I will keep an eye on it.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't have leaky hoses, no clamps and installed for about 5 months. I get a huge amount of water in mine, about 6-8 oz every week with just a trace of oil. When it was 50F out, it didn't collect nearly as much. Now that it is 20F every night, more is trapped.

Mike

Sorry about the bad info about being under boost, got my thoughts twisted around.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:27 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
That is a REALLY good way to finish off the hose ends. Im gonna get those and some JEGS braided line adn hook it all up once the BSH OCC arrives at my house. I also have someone on this forum who ordered me the two block off plugs for the PCV hose from the passenger side vaccum line to the intake manifold from Germany which should be here within the next week or so. Also I hear you can vent the OCC to atmosphere as well and I am talking to a guy on here about how he has his vent to atmosphere set up so I can do the same. I will DEFINITELY have a play-by-play of the install with lots of pics for everyone who would like to see because it seems no one has a great how-to for this part and I'm sure everyone on here wants to have a good model to work from. And I think the stainless braided hose will look badass in the engine bay!

Now we wait for parts!

Originally Posted by Mini'mon
phillipcoopersgates, your idea would work w/o modding the hose barbs on the can and adapters.

If you want to use AN -10 (5/8") stainless braided lines, I'd use the hose clamps that fake the AN look to finish-off the hose ends. Here's an example: http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...03303/10002/-1

Also if you don't want to plunk down money for AN braided lines, you could just get stainless braid sheaths from Spectre or Wysco and slide them over the Parker Jiffy hose that comes with the BSH kits.

Have fun and definitely send pics once you have something together.

-Clint

Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Hey everyone...so I got my BSH OCC in the mail last night and now I'm just waiting for the PCV block off plugs and the JEGS braided hose to come in the mail....my oonly thought it that I might posibly want to have AN fittings welded onto the BSH? Any thoughts? or should I just hose finishers? Opinions Please!!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Hey everyone...so I got my BSH OCC in the mail last night and now I'm just waiting for the PCV block off plugs and the JEGS braided hose to come in the mail....my oonly thought it that I might posibly want to have AN fittings welded onto the BSH? Any thoughts? or should I just hose finishers? Opinions Please!!
i.e. it will cost about the same price

Old 02-23-2012, 06:46 AM
basil49
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like where your can is mounted? can you tell me how long those hoses are and what the diameter is? I want to to braided aluminum instead of the rubber and mount them in the same place.
SORRY for the delay in answering there ... just saw your message.
The hose closer to the firewall is 23". The hose away from the firewall is 24".
Hope that helps!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:47 AM
john171
3rd Gear
Has any one here finished an install with the ss braided hoses or covers, and would you post step by step of your process? Also where you purchased the ss hoses covers.
I'm thinking that would be a great addition to the under the bonnet upgrades. Currently have the BSH OCC installed with their hoses, working great btw, just always looking to improve the look and durability.
Thanks

Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by john171
Has any one here finished an install with the ss braided hoses or covers, and would you post step by step of your process? Also where you purchased the ss hoses covers.
I'm thinking that would be a great addition to the under the bonnet upgrades. Currently have the BSH OCC installed with their hoses, working great btw, just always looking to improve the look and durability.
Thanks
Hi there,
I'm in the process of ordering all the required hardware and such but I hit a raccoon with my car about 2 weeks ago and its still in the shop...Once everything is together I will have a full install with pics and everything. Im sorry for the delay....it hurts me as much as it hurts all of you :(

Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Imagine what the poor raccoon feels like!!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM
john171
3rd Gear
Hi there,
I'm in the process of ordering all the required hardware and such but I hit a raccoon with my car about 2 weeks ago and its still in the shop...Once everything is together I will have a full install with pics and everything. Im sorry for the delay....it hurts me as much as it hurts all of you :(
OUCH!
As they say, first things first.
Will await you report anxiously, good luck with that btw!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by john171
OUCH!
As they say, first things first.
Will await you report anxiously, good luck with that btw!
Okay, well I just called my shop, car should be done tomorrow

Anyways....just ordered the hoses and the hose finishers so they should be here on Monday

Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 PM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Here it is friends....SORRY for the wait!:popco rn::lo l:

****** https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3467469 *******

Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fitting my BSH OCC when I am off over Easter as have the Evolve FMIC to fit at same time and may be doing some other work like water pump and thermostat whilst I am there.

Is it worth fitting the dual tap that I got with the OCC or does the 2 blanking plugs available from Peugeot do the same thing? If they do I might as well use those and sell the dual tap.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Peugeot blanking plugs do the same thing, but the boost tap gives a nice location for a vacuum source if you might want to use a boost or vacuum guage.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:01 PM
cablebfg
1st Gear
Can I get some simple instruction on removing the hose to add the dual boost port? I can't get it to release now. I had it nearly half way off and now I can't repeat that. Twist and pull? Done that. A LOT. And I'm not weak.

HELP.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:08 PM
cablebfg
1st Gear
Nevermind. Someone at MM.org came through. It is a pinch and twist motion, with a pull at the end. Helps to have tiny flathead screwdrivers to help it release.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 PM
DrZ
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fishbert
MINI probably won't have any on-hand, but should be able to order them. The intake manifold is unchanged from the N14 engine to the N18 engine, but the N18 internalizes that PCV line to the valve cover, ditching the hose. MINI uses this cap to plug that unused port on the intake manifold of all N18 engines.
I'm not seeing this on the N18 engine diagrams at RealOEM; there's still the hose to the turbo side, and I can see the port I think you're referring to on the intake manifold (just left of the (9)), but there is no plug listed.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...75&hg=11&fg=40

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install