Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I have developed a weekly routine for the MINI. At night, I pull the dipstick and leave it out 3-4 inches after cleaning (Yeah, one of the design flaws). The following morning, I check the oil, drain the OCC, and check tire pressure. I have a hand-vacuum pump with a resevoir that I use for draining the OCC (it is a mity-vac brake bleed kit). Some guys sell a large syringe. Draining the OCC through the dipstick is much quicker than pulling it and using the drain. My routine is 10 minutes. My OCC had 6-7 oz every week during the winter, but now has less than 1 oz weekly.

I may be drinking the Koolaid, but like has been said, there are issues with this engine and I am doing weekly maintenance to deal with it. My car had a first owner that treated it like a corolla, with dents on every panel, rust on undercar seams, and dozens of stone chips. The car had oil changes per the car reccomendations (3 over 49k miles), and this is why my car uses 1.5 qt over 5000 miles.

I love this car, and to me putting 10-15 minutes into it is a reasonable requirement. Is my car show worthy, or best in class? No. It is a fun daily driver that I look to get another 5 years out of.

Mike

Old 06-26-2012, 06:24 PM
surfin'02
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil catch can mounting weak????

Hey Gang,
Got my BSH oil catch can yesterday.
Went to install it today in the "traditional" location and only found a plastic tab that seems (to me) to be very flimsy. Granted, I do not have the hoses connected (which may make the can mor stable), but, still I am worried about the plastic tab breaking over time.
Whatchya think?

Attached Thumbnails BSH catch can and dual boost port install-img_3489.jpg   BSH catch can and dual boost port install-copy-of-img_3488.jpg  
Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
That is the tab that I used, had no issues. I would not lose sleep over it.

Mike

Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That tab is stronger than you think. Also the hoses are very sturdy and actually push against the OCC. I found that with the hoses attached everything was noticeably sturdier.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:37 PM
surfin'02
2nd Gear
Right on everybody!!
Thanks for the quick replies!! I will leave it where it is! )

Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 PM
MarkusMini
2nd Gear
I have the same one, in the same location without issues. It'll be fine.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:45 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
That tab is stronger than you think. Also the hoses are very sturdy and actually push against the OCC. I found that with the hoses attached everything was noticeably sturdier.
I concur. Once the hoses are in place you are fine. I would spend a few extra seconds to measure twice and cut once. Get proper tension without any sort of kinking on either hose. Pretty common sense stuff but just thought it would be worth mentioning.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 PM
surfin'02
2nd Gear
One more thing...I received 2 different sizes PVC intake connections...I am guessing that BSH sent both since this kit covers 2007 - 2011?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:03 PM
surfin'02
2nd Gear
Additional fitting....

OK guys, this is a pic of the extra fitting/s I received (I assume to connect to the intake of different year models?).

Attached Thumbnails BSH catch can and dual boost port install-img_3493.jpg  
Old 06-26-2012, 07:09 PM
surfin'02
2nd Gear
Mystery fittings?

OK, I also have a question concerning the mystery fittings/plugs in the attached pic.
What are the fittings/plugs (to the right of the largest fitting) used for?
Thanks again for all the support!

Attached Thumbnails BSH catch can and dual boost port install-img_3490.jpg  
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by surfin'02
OK guys, this is a pic of the extra fitting/s I received (I assume to connect to the intake of different year models?).
No, the thin washer fitting goes into the driver side PCV port.
The wide fitting going into the intake tube.

OK, I also have a question concerning the mystery fittings/plugs in the attached pic.
What are the fittings/plugs (to the right of the largest fitting) used for?
That's the passenger side PCV port blocker.

- Erik

Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 AM
surfin'02
2nd Gear
Thanks BlueFox.
So then the PCV hose on the passenger side will be completely removed? If so, wouldn't this leave a "hole" at each end (where the hose connected) and thus I would need 2 plugs?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
So then the PCV hose on the passenger side will be completely removed?
No, the hose can stay; it mounts to the boost tap plug.

- Erik

Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 PM
LiquiDGD
1st Gear
Thanks for the install tips and pictures in this thread. This helped me figure out where put everything.

I do have a question... Is it safe to place elbows (i.e. 2 45 degree) in the OUT line?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You car is doomed its going to blow up if you do that lol

Old 08-09-2012, 12:59 PM
MarkusMini
2nd Gear
Here's a question...I have all of this installed and am looking for a large syringe to suck all this stuff out so I don't have to use the drain plug. Anyone have a link to one I can buy?

Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
This is what I use, I got it at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery-filler-96571.html

Dave

Old 08-09-2012, 02:50 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
http://www.defendersofspeed.com/maintenance-cleaning/

Some good stuff here, and they help support the MINI community.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 08-09-2012, 05:39 PM
teamrodney
2nd Gear
I wasn't having much success in having the can trap much oil residue but with some stainless steel wool from a scouring pad, I found the can trapped much more of the residue.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 PM
MarkusMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
This is what I use, I got it at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery-filler-96571.html

Dave
Originally Posted by mbwicz
http://www.defendersofspeed.com/maintenance-cleaning/

Some good stuff here, and they help support the MINI community.

Have fun,
Mike
Thanks very much!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:14 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Hey folks, just got my can and took a look inside.

I noticed a solid plate seprating both ports with the lower half full of holes. That must be the baffling?

Is the baffling suppose to go all the way down to the bottom of the can or just half way down? Mine is at around the half way mark.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2012, 02:13 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
It is only supposed to go partway down, that forces the vapors to travel a longer path and helps the oil to drop out.

Dave

Old 08-10-2012, 02:43 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Ok thanks

Let's see how much this thing catches on the N18.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Ok thanks

Let's see how much this thing catches on the N18.
Just to add my $00.02 to your question about a syringe, I opted for the one from DoS for 2 reasons, 1 they are great supporters of the MINI community 2 their stuff is great and 3 you can see if you're drawing anything out!
#3 may seem trivial but when you can see what you got you can avoid having it drip all over the engine compartment, and that is not trivial!
Good luck with your MINI and enjoy!
M0T0R 0N

Old 08-11-2012, 11:06 AM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 09MellowJCW
I was going to try to do a custom install of another vendors can until I saw this one on NAM.

The install was very simple and the parts seem to be of very high quality. I love this kit because you do not need to cut the factory PCV tube, and it doesn't neck down to 3/8 hose like the others.

I thought I was going to have to install the can on the firewall because the Alta intake locates the cold air tube right where the CC is supposed to go.

I did find a solution though. By moving the bracket down one hole (see first pic) I used some blue lock tite here to make sure it wouldn't spin with only the one bolt. I was able to use the tab on the fire wall. By mounting the CC bracket on the bottom side of the firewall tab I gained enough hood clearance. At the same time it raised the can up high enough to rest on the factory fresh air tube. I put a piece of rubber between the two.

I should note again that I only had a clearance problem because of the after market intake pushing the fresh air tube further to the right than normal.

Here is the can all installed

It's tight, but there's plenty of room so it doesn't rub (they say you don't need hose clamps here but it seemed too loose to me...)

The dual boost port was a cinch to install as well. I used the optional plug to divert the PCV gasses from both sources through the catch can, thus eliminating the need to run two. That is enough reason to buy it, but it also provides two boost sources if you need them. I already have the Alta boost tap for my BOV so I capped them both. I'll use them for future mods though...

So over all all I absolutely love this CC. I love the looks, I love the fact that I didn't have to cut the factory PCV tube. It was easy to install, high quality, baffled, and most importantly, takes care of booth PCV gas sources with one CC.

The only minor complaints that I have are:

1. The drain plug hole in the CC is not tapered so the plug never gets tight. I'm pretty sure it would fall into the CC if turned in to much? I solved this by going to the auto parts store and getting a plug with a head on it, adding an O ring and screwing it in tight. Obviously it isn't tight yet in the pic

2. The boost port only comes with one plug and two wholes. If you are only using it to block the PCV port, and not as a boost source, you're short a plug.

3. They do not give you a nut to use when you install it on the firewall tab. I picked up a lock nut while I was at the parts store.

Other than those very minor things, This set up is great. Far superior to the others I've seen. I'm sure this will become THE CC to use.
Looking at the boost tap, cannot see what you have used when building it up. I have the boost tap, a large threaded piece which screws in the end that fits in where the old PCV fits to the engine ie the boost tap side with o rings, see that the old hose clips on the back of this.

I now have three holes round the body. 2 same size and 1 smaller. Small one looks like it is where the securing clip mounts. Other 2 I can either fit straight connector or 90 degree connector which I guess are for a boost gauge, and a blanking screw. I guess I fit connector in one and blanking screw in the other although I am not using a boost gauge so do I need another blanking screw?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install