Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:53 AM
minimini482
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bster13
Looking for some long term updates as this thread is quite old and the catch cans must have some good miles on them now.

- How has the BSH parts held up over time?
- Have you had to take your car in for walnut blasting? If so, how many miles are on your car, and when did you install the catch can?
- Have you looked at your intake valves? Is there still buildup?

Many thanks.
I can't speak to the status of my intake valves as I haven't looked at them but I can say the bsh parts are holding up well. Quality stuff.

I did have to reseat the boost tap plug as I was getting some oily liquids coming out the bottom side of it. Once I reset with sealant it hasn't been an issue.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:58 PM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
I installed a BSH OCC and a Boost Tap (with all ports blocked off) at 10k miles on my 2009 HT S. Since then I have had the valves cleaned by the dealer at 50k miles due to hesitation at higher speeds/lower RPMs. I just took my intake manifold and a section of boost tube off at 85k miles. The valves look awful and there is lots of oil in the boost tube (post intercooler).

Not sure this product works very well, if at all.

I have uninstalled the OCC today because it doesn't seem to be helping with carbon build-up and the o-rings around the fittings are failing and there is oil leaking all over my valve cover.

2 different intake valves at 85k miles:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38925728@N06/12003847963/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38925728@N06/12003550805/

Last edited by SteelersFan; 01-17-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:53 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Even with the catch can, my intake ports and valves needed cleaning after 30k miles. I still feel that it is worthwhile, because I get a huge amount of water (and some oil) out of it in the winter months. It's usually about 7-8 oz if the temp is below 40f, and about 10% oil.

I have not had any leaking issues with the fittings.

Mike

Old 01-18-2014, 07:14 AM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Mine wasn't catching much at all, only a couple of ounces over the entire time I had it installed. I think the dry, warmer climate I live and work in has a lot to do with that.

That said, I expected the OCC to catch more oil than it did. I'm very disappointed at what I found and will be considering regular Seafoam treatments in an attempt to reverse and maintain low levels of build-up.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:15 AM
wkearney99
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by john171
First off at the very least you'll need to shop at an auto parts store, the lumber/garden/hardware variety shops will not carry what you need, even then you most likely will end up with heater hose, which while it will work won't last as long when exposed to the oil and high temps.
Also consider marine (boat) parts stores as they often sell tubing of various kinds on a per-foot (or centimeter) basis.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 AM
ruffyruff
Neutral
Newbie here,

I read like 20 pages here and I m confused.

Seems like there are 3 options here.

1. BSH OCC w/ Direct Double Boost Tap
2. BSH OCC w/ Plugs
3. BSH OCC

My question is what does the Direct Double Boost tap do? (If i m not running a boost guage).

Secondly, Does the PVC plugs do exactly what the Direct Double Boost Tap does?

Thirdly, do I need to block of those ports?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:36 AM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Bster13
Looking for some long term updates as this thread is quite old and the catch cans must have some good miles on them now.

- How has the BSH parts held up over time?
- Have you had to take your car in for walnut blasting? If so, how many miles are on your car, and when did you install the catch can?
- Have you looked at your intake valves? Is there still buildup?

Many thanks.
An OCC will not do much, if anything, to keep your valves clean. It will however, keep a lot of contaminants out of your turbo.
I went with the Dual Boost Tap also, because I'm using it to activate my Forge BOV.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:43 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ruffyruff
Newbie here,

I read like 20 pages here and I m confused.

Seems like there are 3 options here.

1. BSH OCC w/ Direct Double Boost Tap
2. BSH OCC w/ Plugs
3. BSH OCC

My question is what does the Direct Double Boost tap do? (If i m not running a boost guage).

Secondly, Does the PVC plugs do exactly what the Direct Double Boost Tap does?

Thirdly, do I need to block of those ports?
It depends on which engine your car has, an N14 engine or an N18 engine. If you have an N18 engine, it has no external PCV line to block off.

It is best to put your car's model and year in your signature to get the best answers to your questions.

For a N14 engine, an Oil Catch Can on the turbocharger PCV hose will not help with carbon build up unless you physically block the other PCV hose to the throttle body, either with a BSH dual boost tap or by plugging the head cover and throttle body with special plugs. What you are trying to do is prevent oil vapor from entering the throttle body and the intake ports. So, if your car has an N14 engine you must block off the main PCV hose somehow for the Oil Catch Can to do its job.

If you have an N18 engine (2011 and later, other than the JCW) the engine has internal PCV ports that are not easy to block off, an oil catch can will do little good on an N18 engine.

Dave

Old 02-18-2014, 01:50 PM
ruffyruff
Neutral
Originally Posted by DneprDave
It depends on which engine your car has, an N14 engine or an N18 engine. If you have an N18 engine, it has no external PCV line to block off.

It is best to put your car's model and year in your signature to get the best answers to your questions.

For a N14 engine, an Oil Catch Can on the turbocharger PCV hose will not help with carbon build up unless you physically block the other PCV hose to the throttle body, either with a BSH dual boost tap or by plugging the head cover and throttle body with special plugs. What you are trying to do is prevent oil vapor from entering the throttle body and the intake ports. So, if your car has an N14 engine you must block off the main PCV hose somehow for the Oil Catch Can to do its job.

If you have an N18 engine (2011 and later, other than the JCW) the engine has internal PCV ports that are not easy to block off, an oil catch can will do little good on an N18 engine.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I have the N14 (2008 MCS). Do you know where I can order online the plugs? I saw ECStuning offering them.

If I only install the Oil Catch Can, I suppose it will still do some work, but not effectively since oil can still escape from the other PCV?

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2014, 02:27 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
The PCV hose that goes from the back of the head cover to the throttle body is the primary PCV line, it is used whenever there is vacuum in the intake manifold, which is most of the time. The other PCV hose to the turbocharger is only in use when the engine is under boost. When you block off the primary PCV line, you are forcing all the oil vapor and blow by gasses through the turbocharger. That is why you must install an Oil Catch Can, if you block off the primary PCV line to the throttle body. Installing an Oil Catch Can will do little without also blocking off the PCV line to the throttle body.

ECStunng would be a good place to get the plugs.

Dave

Old 02-18-2014, 04:05 PM
ruffyruff
Neutral
The PCV hose that goes from the back of the head cover to the throttle body is the primary PCV line, it is used whenever there is vacuum in the intake manifold, which is most of the time. The other PCV hose to the turbocharger is only in use when the engine is under boost. When you block off the primary PCV line, you are forcing all the oil vapor and blow by gasses through the turbocharger. That is why you must install an Oil Catch Can, if you block off the primary PCV line to the throttle body. Installing an Oil Catch Can will do little without also blocking off the PCV line to the throttle body.

ECStunng would be a good place to get the plugs.

Dave

Thanks DAVE! I just placed an order with VW with the part#036131510 which is the same as ECS, plus I get to save 6$ of shipping!

BSH OCC is on its way! Anything else I need to do before I install all these goodies on my 50k Mellow Yellow MCS?

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2014, 04:24 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
It sounds like you have it covered.

One other thing, some people have reported higher oil consumption and oil leaks when blocking the primary PCV line and installing an Oil Catch Can.

If that happens, it means that the PCV valve inside the head cover is faulty and is not allowing the crankcase gasses to vent through the Turbocharger PCV hose. The PCV valve can not be rebuilt so you have to get a new head cover to fix it.

Dave

Old 02-18-2014, 04:33 PM
ruffyruff
Neutral
Well I hope that's not the case for me. Everything seems to be running fine. Thanks once again and I'll post some pictures when its done.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:29 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
Here are pics of my BSH OCC install with AEM's CAI and Stress Bar. Had to source a scrap piece of metal to relocate the OCC because it was rubbing on the tube and on the bar.

Attached Thumbnails BSH catch can and dual boost port install-image-4079920648.jpg   BSH catch can and dual boost port install-image-3557253023.jpg   BSH catch can and dual boost port install-image-38465906.jpg   BSH catch can and dual boost port install-image-2809634765.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 07:49 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
An OCC will not do much, if anything, to keep your valves clean. It will however, keep a lot of contaminants out of your turbo.
I went with the Dual Boost Tap also, because I'm using it to activate my Forge BOV.
Actually keeping your valves/turbo/intake manifold clean is very important. So the OCC does do a lot for the health of any high boost setup. And FYI and external BOV on an N54 with a stock turbo is completely pointless

Old 04-26-2014, 07:52 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phillipcoopersgates
Actually keeping your valves/turbo/intake manifold clean is very important. So the OCC does do a lot for the health of any high boost setup. And FYI and external BOV on an N54 with a stock turbo is completely pointless
N54? Your thinking BMW

Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ruffyruff
Thanks DAVE! I just placed an order with VW with the part#036131510 which is the same as ECS, plus I get to save 6$ of shipping!

BSH OCC is on its way! Anything else I need to do before I install all these goodies on my 50k Mellow Yellow MCS?

Thanks!
Sea foam treatment wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:56 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mikeyb74
N54? Your thinking BMW
HAHA! Whoops! Im over here talking about 335's I mean't N14**

Old 04-26-2014, 07:57 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
HAHA! Whoops! Im over here talking about 335's I mean't N14**
It's all good! I do the samething.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I would rather the oil vapor go through the primary PCV line, shortest route equals less mess. Why would you want to have that oil vapor to pass through your turbo, intercooler and piping before and after the turbo? The OCC is going to miss catching the majority of oil as seen in other members posts, it's a bandaid solution. You're going to see an increase of crankcase pressure when not in boost especially in city and traffic.

The OCC might catch some oil but not the majority, I just don't see these OCC keeping the valves clean. I have never seen anyone valve spot free of oil, actually has seen little to no difference of carbon on the intake valves with the use of an OCC.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:22 PM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I would rather the oil vapor go through the primary PCV line, shortest route equals less mess. Why would you want to have that oil vapor to pass through your turbo, intercooler and piping before and after the turbo? The OCC is going to miss catching the majority of oil as seen in other members posts, it's a bandaid solution. You're going to see an increase of crankcase pressure when not in boost especially in city and traffic.

The OCC might catch some oil but not the majority, I just don't see these OCC keeping the valves clean. I have never seen anyone valve spot free of oil, actually has seen little to no difference of carbon on the intake valves with the use of an OCC.
The PCV hose is the primary way oil would get into the intake manifold at ALL. Thats the benefit of removing it. No oil in the intake manifold.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
The PCV hose is the primary way oil would get into the intake manifold at ALL. Thats the benefit of removing it. No oil in the intake manifold.
Originally Posted by SteelersFan
I installed a BSH OCC and a Boost Tap (with all ports blocked off) at 10k miles on my 2009 HT S. Since then I have had the valves cleaned by the dealer at 50k miles due to hesitation at higher speeds/lower RPMs. I just took my intake manifold and a section of boost tube off at 85k miles. The valves look awful and there is lots of oil in the boost tube (post intercooler).

Not sure this product works very well, if at all.

I have uninstalled the OCC today because it doesn't seem to be helping with carbon build-up and the o-rings around the fittings are failing and there is oil leaking all over my valve cover.

2 different intake valves at 85k miles:

Tell that to SteelerFan, it did nothing for him. You can't argue with the results, nobody has been able to prove the OCC actually keep your intake valves clean. To the contrary it shows the exact opposite, oil in boost tubes, intercooler. Look at those pictures, proof that OCC's don't work for our MCS's.

The reason why his valve cover is leaking oil all over the top is (at the fittings) because of an increase in crankcase pressure.

SteelerFan do you have an N18?

Last edited by Systemlord; 04-26-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Tell that to SteelerFan, it did nothing for him. You can't argue with the results, nobody has been able to prove the OCC actually keep your intake valves clean. To the contrary it shows the exact opposite, oil in boost tubes, intercooler. Look at those pictures, proof that OCC's don't work for our MCS's. The reason why his valve cover is leaking oil all over the top is (at the fittings) because of an increase in crankcase pressure. SteelerFan do you have an N18?
09 has a N14. I have a 09 MCS with 104k and I've had both the dual tap and OCC installed since 40k. I've had no issues with carbon build up on the valves. The only oil leaks I've had to address is the valve cover gasket/cracked valve cover and a crank seal. I scoped the valves afew months ago and there is no carbon buildup on them. I also perform oil services every 5k instead of recommended 15k per MINI.

Last edited by mikeyb74; 04-27-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:13 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
There is no increase in crankcase pressure, with a oil catch can and boost port block off installed. The PCV valve just vents crankcase fumes to the turbocharger intake, as if the car were under boost all the time.

Please read the PCV valve section, pages 130-53 & 130-54, of the Bentley Manual and understand how the MINI's PCV valve/headcover works before making uninformed statements about MINI's PCV system.

Dave

Old 04-27-2014, 09:19 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
There is no increase in crankcase pressure, with a oil catch can and boost port block off installed. The PCV valve just vents crankcase fumes to the turbocharger intake, as if the car were under boost all the time. Please read the PCV valve section, pages 130-53 & 130-54, of the Bentley Manual and understand how the MINI's PCV valve/headcover works before making uninformed statements about MINI's PCV system. Dave

Dave, I was just actually looked that up in my Bentley manual.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install