Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Sales@BSH
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onefish2
I have 2 questions questions for BSH. Why is your logo upside down on the boost tap and the plastic part that goes into the turbo inlet hose? And why don't you guys silkscreen a logo on the side or top of the can?

And lastly how are you guys that have installed the catch can planning on emptying it when its time do so? Take the whole thing apart and empty it from the drain hole?
Originally Posted by Samysonary
What I plan to do is just unscrew the bolt, place something under the can, and release from the drain hole. That or suck it up from the dip stick hole, which I haven't figured out how to do that yet...
The room you will have to drain will vary on mounting location. The top nut of the bracket can be easily removed, so that you can lift the can out of the engine bay for draining. I have though been able to get a 8oz cup underneath the can while mounted and drain this way.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
7K OCC Checkup!!

Did an oil change today and decided to check my 42 DD/BSH boost tap system while everything was out of the way. With 7K since install, there was about 3 tbs of really nasty phlegm in the tank and no water (evaporates at operating temps). The inlet tube to the OCC was dirty and slimy, the outlet tube was clean and dry!! With that, I checked the turbo boost tube and it was clean and dry, too! The damn thing works. I put my system together myself as BSH's complete system wasn't available at the time. Like BSH's, 42 DD's can is baffled. That and the BSH blocked boost tap are the key to the PCV oil fouling problem IMHO.

PS: Before the mod, the oiling problem was so bad I had to hard wire the OEM turbo inlet and boost tubes just to keep them on!

Old 04-29-2010, 04:09 AM
ndylam
3rd Gear
What I plan to do is just unscrew the bolt, place something under the can, and release from the drain hole. That or suck it up from the dip stick hole, which I haven't figured out how to do that yet...
You can use a SYRUP PUMP like this one http://www.javaestate.com/images/pro...0oz%20Pump.JPG

All you gotta do is PUMP !

Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Samysonary
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ndylam
You can use a SYRUP PUMP like this one http://www.javaestate.com/images/pro...0oz%20Pump.JPG

All you gotta do is PUMP !
That's not a bad idea

I was thinking of a basting bulb with a straw attached somehow.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:25 AM
MG2542
1st Gear
Wife got mine in today. She says you guys use to much packing peanuts.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Samysonary
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MG2542
Wife got mine in today. She says you guys use to much packing peanuts.

Hah, I thought the same myself, but I am glad it was packaged so well

Old 04-29-2010, 01:10 PM
MG2542
1st Gear
Hah, I thought the same myself, but I am glad it was packaged so well
Me too. She on the other hand was irritated about it until I made her realize that she's the one that would have to go through the trouble of sending it back if it was damaged. She saw things differently after that.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Samysonary
3rd Gear
Haha awesome

Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 PM
ALSCRX
2nd Gear
You can also get a SYRINGE with a little rubber hose attached and suck the crap oil through the dipstick hole.....easy that way!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
So with some help from one of my car club friends, I was able to install the BSH OCC (even though I have the factory alarm which takes the mounting spot for the OCC)by drilling into the bulkhead where the DOS intake would normally go. Luckily, I did not have to completely remove the bulkhead because I just loosened the screws to get my hand behind there. Besides the mounting problem it was a pretty clean install. I would suggest that anyone that uses an OCC to buy some hoses clamps for peace of mind and to prevent boost leak.

Attached Thumbnails BSH catch can and dual boost port install-occ-006.jpg   BSH catch can and dual boost port install-occ-005.jpg   BSH catch can and dual boost port install-occ-007.jpg  
Old 05-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Samysonary
3rd Gear
Nice, glad you found a solution.
Nice NM strut bar, I have the black one

Old 05-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Alternative BSH Boost Port Uses !

Hey guys at BSH, check the "How-To Do Seafoam R55/56" thread. I'll bet you never thought your dual boost port adapter would be used for THAT, LOL! Pretty neat idea actually.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
So I did not get a chance to install the Direct Dual Boost Tap when I was installing my BSH OCC and decided to install it today. My only question is did any of you guys use the blue loctite and on what screws did you use it on?

Old 05-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
So I did not get a chance to install the Direct Dual Boost Tap when I was installing my BSH OCC and decided to install it today. My only question is did any of you guys use the blue loctite and on what screws did you use it on?

I put it on all the blocking plugs, but not on the locking clamp screw. WARNING: Use a half drop at most on each plug. A tooth pic makes a good applicator. Too much blue Loctite and you will lock them tight permanently! Found that one out the hard way long ago.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Thanks, Dwight!

Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe this was covered in the thread and I missed it, but If you're not using the Direct Dual Boost Tap for plumbing a gauge, what does it do? The OCC obviously keeps oil out of the intake but what is the point of the boost tap?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:15 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The inside of the Direct Dual Boost Tap is threaded so when used in conjuction with the OCC, BSH supplies a plug that gets inserted inside the Tap blocking that PCV hose. Once installed, you are only utilizing one PCV hose, the one that is being filtered by the OCC. If you didn't plug that hose, you would either be filtering only one of two PCV hoses or you would need two OCCs.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:27 AM
BSH Speedshop
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
Hey guys at BSH, check the "How-To Do Seafoam R55/56" thread. I'll bet you never thought your dual boost port adapter would be used for THAT, LOL! Pretty neat idea actually.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gregsmini
The inside of the Direct Dual Boost Tap is threaded so when used in conjuction with the OCC, BSH supplies a plug that gets inserted inside the Tap blocking that PCV hose. Once installed, you are only utilizing one PCV hose, the one that is being filtered by the OCC. If you didn't plug that hose, you would either be filtering only one of two PCV hoses or you would need two OCCs.
Makes sense. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:22 AM
DarkSideMINI
1st Gear
Tron Chief, how did you mount it in that specific location? Any clearance issues with anything down there? Thanx
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
Installed the Competition Catch can in the alternative location last week.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:25 AM
DarkSideMINI
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
I would suggest that anyone that uses an OCC to buy some hoses clamps for peace of mind and to prevent boost leak.
Aren't there any hose clamps included in the kit??? Should i get metall or would plastic cable ties/zipties be ok?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DarkSideMINI
Tron Chief, how did you mount it in that specific location? Any clearance issues with anything down there? Thanx
On the cross bar you can see the silver bolt that came in the kit. All I did was slide the washer into the center of the frame and put the bolt down put the catch can onto the bolt and then attached. Having the cold air intake (I think Custom Mini Shop has one left) allowed me to remove the factory little tube that is the intake since I now have a large air intake thus allowing the catch can to be located there. I would be happy to take a photo of it from a different angle however I'm currently in Okinawa Japan and will not be back in the States until Mid July. Steve at Custom Mini Shop did the installs and has both of the major pieces i.e. intake and catch can along with the dual port boost plug and his contact information is in my signature line.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
I changed my M7 IC charge pipe out for an NM hard pipe the other day. I was disapointed to find oil in the M7 tube. I have the BSH OCC and DBP. Actually, I started this thread...

Old 05-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 09MellowJCW
I changed my M7 IC charge pipe out for an NM hard pipe the other day. I was disapointed to find oil in the M7 tube. I have the BSH OCC and DBP. Actually, I started this thread...

That's odd. How long was the m7 tube on before you put on the OCC? My inlet tube and charge pipe were a real mess at 20K before install of the OCC about 7K ago. The oil you found might be "leftovers". Just changed the Alta inlet tube for the JCW and could just feel an oil film. However, my can is the 42 Draft Design and it's baffling is very different than the BSH's. Puzzle time!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:00 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
That's odd. How long was the m7 tube on before you put on the OCC? My inlet tube and charge pipe were a real mess at 20K before install of the OCC about 7K ago. The oil you found might be "leftovers". Just changed the Alta inlet tube for the JCW and could just feel an oil film. However, my can is the 42 Draft Design and it's baffling is very different than the BSH's. Puzzle time!
That's what I thought when I found the oil the last time. I wiped it all out when I took the tube off to wrap it with the anti-rub stuff.

This oil is new. I'll check the NM pipe after a couple hundred miles to be sure though.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install