Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Vac only and Boost only...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:15 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Vac only and Boost only...

ok... something i've been looking into but my brain isn't working correctly the last 20 hours.... how can you find a vacuum only source? i know how to get a boost source, but i want to read the two separately to try out a system that i've had in mind to test.

any ideas? for boost only i figured tap into the intercooler right after the turbo, but this whole vacuum only source is eluding me... i figured the BSH dual tap i had installed just last week... but that's not just vacuum.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:28 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dunphyj
ok... something i've been looking into but my brain isn't working correctly the last 20 hours.... how can you find a vacuum only source? i know how to get a boost source, but i want to read the two separately to try out a system that i've had in mind to test.

any ideas? for boost only i figured tap into the intercooler right after the turbo, but this whole vacuum only source is eluding me... i figured the BSH dual tap i had installed just last week... but that's not just vacuum.
You can get the boost and vacuum from the same source. There are many products out there for tapping into the system to read the MAP pressure. You just need to do a little conversion on the pressure reading if you aren't using a boost gauge and just looking at the raw values. My boost gauge is tapped into it reading both vacuum and boost.

Here is a link to just one of the many products available for tapping into the system for reading vacuum/boost.

Last edited by SimpsonGI; 03-06-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Added hyperlink
Old 03-06-2010, 09:42 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
well i know plenty of ways to get both vacuum and boost at the same time (i have a boost gauge) but i don't know how to get purely a vacuum line.... like i said a boost only reading is no problem...

Old 03-07-2010, 06:37 AM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
You can get the boost and vacuum from the same source. There are many products out there for tapping into the system to read the MAP pressure. You just need to do a little conversion on the pressure reading if you aren't using a boost gauge and just looking at the raw values. My boost gauge is tapped into it reading both vacuum and boost.

Here is a link to just one of the many products available for tapping into the system for reading vacuum/boost.
Originally Posted by dunphyj
well i know plenty of ways to get both vacuum and boost at the same time (i have a boost gauge) but i don't know how to get purely a vacuum line.... like i said a boost only reading is no problem...
You use the same location. when the pressure is negative it is vacuum. When the pressure is positive it is boost. If you already have a boost gauge, you should be reading both vacuum and boost with the one gauge.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
WoOOOOOOoooOOoo ok... so anyone who reads this post completely disregard the entire thing.... i just realized how much non stop work has gotten to me... i just needed a vacuum source, so the intake manifold would be just fine and my BSH dual boost tap will work just fine