Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain I abso-FREAKN'-lutely love my new DoS intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010 | 04:28 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by etalj
I want that flutter!
I too am fascinated by this flutter. It makes a sound somewhere between a pod racer and a light bike.

(Do pardon the Star Wars and Tron references ).

Old 04-15-2010 | 04:37 PM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
I too am fascinated by this flutter. It makes a sound somewhere between a pod racer and a light bike.

(Do pardon the Star Wars and Tron references ).
I also have the flutter with your intake. I have a Mynes tune currently. I thought that was the normal sound that everyone has with your intake.

Old 04-15-2010 | 05:36 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
I had that same flutter when I ran a unichip and made my own DOS intake out of the K&N apollo intake. It drove me nuts after a while. I even put sound deadening material in the firewall.

Old 04-15-2010 | 06:12 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by chakraj
I had that same flutter when I ran a unichip and made my own DOS intake out of the K&N apollo intake. It drove me nuts after a while. I even put sound deadening material in the firewall.
During our CAI audio-reduction research, we tried out quite a few sound deadening materials but found that none of them work to minimize the inhale and some of the high frequency sounds revealed by our CAI.

I need to check this, but the noise baffle could reduce this for folks that don't like the flutter. It's reflecting sound at the bulkhead instead of allowing it to enter the bulkhead area below the apron panels. We found that once the turbo/intake sounds are allowed to enter the bulkhead, you usually end-up hearing it through the cabin air filter, so you need to stop it as early as possible for the greatest effect.

However, if you like the noise, baffle schmaffle! . . .

Old 04-15-2010 | 09:37 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
One more video. Well its more for the audio than the video. Turn up the speakers on your computer. This will sound more impressive on a desktop than a laptop. I have decided I like the new flutter sound. It definitely keeps the turbo in infinite spool up mode.

Old 04-15-2010 | 09:56 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Hey guys I wasn't trying to be negative. I was only trying to be informative. I must say you have the best performing aftermarket intake on the market right now. I can testify because I have tried it plus many more.

Old 04-15-2010 | 10:11 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by chakraj
Hey guys I wasn't trying to be negative. I was only trying to be informative. I must say you have the best performing aftermarket intake on the market right now. I can testify because I have tried it plus many more.
Hi chakraj,

I don't see any brutal negativity in what you wrote. You were just giving an opinion on a new facet of sound that Steve has brought to light in this thread.

Old 04-16-2010 | 08:11 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
I have been getting quite a few PMs about the RMW tune and why Jan introduced that crazy flutter sound.

I have the following engine mods on my JCW:
Helix intercooler
DoS intake
NM Engineering hot and cold side hard turbo tubes
I do not have a BOV in my car. Its the stock part.

Jan told me the following... he said its a map from the MINI Challenge car. He said that instead of having the valve blow off, he puts that flutter there to help the turbo spool quicker and get back on boost quicker after a shift. Its a weird noise. It does take a while to get used to it.

He also said that its a JCW thing. He does not add this map to his Cooper S tunes.

Listen to the audio in my youtube video. I think I do a good job explaining what is going on if the above text does not make sense to you.

Old 04-16-2010 | 09:21 PM
ndylam
3rd Gear
The flutter sounds remind me of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4NBBrujJO0

Old 04-16-2010 | 09:29 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ndylam
The flutter sounds remind me of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4NBBrujJO0
Thanks ... the car in that video sounds absolutely horrible. I hope you were joking when you said that it reminds you of my car.

My car does sound kind of strange now but not that bad. Actually, I do not care what is is sounds like now. I have tons and tons of boost available at anytime. OK. Not tons buts lots .

Last edited by onefish2; 04-16-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2010 | 09:52 PM
ndylam
3rd Gear
Your car do not sound bad at all. If the flutter sound helps the turbo spool quicker and get back on boost quicker after a shift then it's a good trade off. Too bad I don't have a JCW, I would have done the same otherwise. Btw, love your clean engine bay !

Old 04-17-2010 | 08:02 PM
Frank123
1st Gear
I am seriously considering the DoS CAI as the first mod to my 24 hour old, brand new S convertible (metaphoric credit card in hand). If one were to consider a sequence of modifications focused primarily on street and mountain driving, would this seem like a reasonable first step?

And as totally awesome as the W2A is, what might one consider as the optimal next mod... W2A included of course!

Looking forward to being a DoS customer, sooner or later.

Old 04-17-2010 | 09:24 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Frank123
I am seriously considering the DoS CAI as the first mod to my 24 hour old, brand new S convertible (metaphoric credit card in hand). If one were to consider a sequence of modifications focused primarily on street and mountain driving, would this seem like a reasonable first step?

And as totally awesome as the W2A is, what might one consider as the optimal next mod... W2A included of course!

Looking forward to being a DoS customer, sooner or later.
Shot you a PM with some thoughts on my end of things!

Welcome to NAM!

-Clint

Old 04-17-2010 | 11:44 PM
Ottoman_FD3S
3rd Gear
the fluttering sounds to me alot like Compressor surge..

deffinately not a good thing for those that care about turbo longevitity..

Old 04-17-2010 | 11:53 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Ottoman_FD3S
the fluttering sounds to me alot like Compressor surge..

deffinately not a good thing for those that care about turbo longevitity..
Interesting thought. Personally I'm wondering the factory blow-off solenoid longevity - as I do not know how many duty cycles it can handle and it seems to be 'pulsed' during the flutter.

Has anyone started a thread on this already on NAM?

Old 04-19-2010 | 12:30 PM
ndylam
3rd Gear
Hey Clint, can you let us know when you have the T-bolt clamps in stock and ready to ship. I've had no luck finding them in local stores, and I kinda need them badly.

Old 04-19-2010 | 01:07 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ndylam
Hey Clint, can you let us know when you have the T-bolt clamps in stock and ready to ship. I've had no luck finding them in local stores, and I kinda need them badly.
Yup. I can do that. As I mentioned in #119 of this thread, they should be here in 1-to-2 weeks.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...9-post119.html

-Clint

Old 04-19-2010 | 04:08 PM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
This whole thread is just one big tease! Haha...

I have an issue with the sunroof of my car but who doesn't! I guess it's just asking attention because it needs some mods...

Although it doesn't look standard, the DoS seems to have the best papers in hands CAI wise... Hmmm, this in combination with a JCW rear muffler and the stage 1 front muffler (or something a little less restrictive) sounds like a dream

My god WE NEED IT!!!! hahaha

Old 04-20-2010 | 02:38 AM
Ottoman_FD3S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
Interesting thought. Personally I'm wondering the factory blow-off solenoid longevity - as I do not know how many duty cycles it can handle and it seems to be 'pulsed' during the flutter.

Has anyone started a thread on this already on NAM?

are u saying they reduced the Duty cycle on the Solenoid in the tune?

besides solenoid is easier and cheaper to change then the turbo :p

u could also disconnect it from the loop but leave it plugged in.. and put an HKS SSQV and ditching the stock one altogether for example is also an alternative...

but everytime that turbo compressor surges, it gets closer and closer to meeting it's maker...

Old 04-20-2010 | 03:31 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Ottoman_FD3S
are u saying they reduced the Duty cycle on the Solenoid in the tune?

besides solenoid is easier and cheaper to change then the turbo :p
. . .
but everytime that turbo compressor surges, it gets closer and closer to meeting it's maker...
It looks like a definite way to reduce spool-time a bit between shifts -- especially for cars that see regular track time. It's obvious that quite a few tuners have this as part of their ECU remaps. I definitely want to do a bit more digging, so I'm going to reserve my opinion on the flutter for now.

Old 04-20-2010 | 03:39 AM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
10k more miles til i can get one of these!!

Old 04-20-2010 | 05:10 AM
phlash
4th Gear
Two days.......I'm tracking mine as it makes it journey across the country.....

Old 04-21-2010 | 07:30 AM
phlash
4th Gear
WOOHOO!!! On a local truck for delivery today!!! It'll be in tonight!!!!

EDIT - It's here!!! I know what I'm doing tonight!!!

Last edited by phlash; 04-21-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2010 | 05:45 PM
phlash
4th Gear
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE.............This thing is AWESOME! Film clips do little to do it justice.............

Thanks Clint!! Proudly displaying the stickers on the back window and my helmet. Your saw is going back out tomorrow for it's cross country hike.

Now, would you build a kick *** NON-CEL down pipe please??

Thanks!!! Going out to play now......................

Old 04-22-2010 | 07:53 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
We abso-FREAKN'-lutely love our DoS intakes!!!

Had a mini MINI meet up today with Tim (09MellowJCW) and Andy (NDYLAM) at my place. Tim and Andy installed the BSH catch can and did a Seafoam treatment on my car. While my car was soaking in the Seafoam we had a little photo shoot.

We all have the DoS intake on our cars AND we all have the DoS "bandit" magnetic grill badge on our cars.

This is also a cool bunch of photos as Tim has the stock bumpers, Andy has the factory aero kit and I have the JCW aero kit.

-Steve

Last edited by onefish2; 04-27-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain I abso-FREAKN'-lutely love my new DoS intake!!!