Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CATTED DP's and CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010 | 10:46 AM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cmcveay
The lack of replies from anyone with a DP and no CEL tells one of two stories.

1) Nobody has a DP (catted or otherwise) on a 2nd Gen MINI that's not throwing a CEL.

2) Nobody with a DP (catted or otherwise) on a 2nd Gen MINI without a CEL reads these forums, cares or is willing to tell the rest of us what their secret is!

I figure all we can do is ask.

Craig
The only (well known) DP that won't throw a CEL is ED's. Everything else will (correct me if i'm wrong).

I have a RR catted DP, it throws a CEL.
Alta's will throw a CEL.

Old 03-19-2010 | 11:10 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
I went to exhaust Depot in Orlando specifically to buy a DP, I almost got one but they had to make it and then mail it to me. Listening to him talk about the catted DP and catless there really wasn't any R&D it was just fabricated a little bit bigger and I think the same materials that are in the stock cat. I did like one thing though that might make me get one anyway is that they started offering the pipes in powder coated. The plus is that it is cheaper and it has better restance to wear. It has similar heat reducing properties to the ceramic coating. I also want to back to them becaus they sold me a JCW exhaust for a $100 installed. Ya they are awesome

There's nothing special about their cat. ED takes two cats and welds them together... no big secret, no big deal. What you're paying for is materials and the fact that they can duplicate their product because they made a jig.

They are great people and excellent welders, that I witnessed myself.

With the piping being larger, when used in conjunction with a bigger diameter catback, it definitely helps.

As far as selling you a JCW exhaust, I think it was one of NAM's members that didn't pick it up so they sold it. (can't leave stuff like that layin' around... )

In fact so much that when I drove down their to have them do my entire exhaust in the mini (obviously there is no way to bring it back) I had to go to FL a month later so I brought a trailer to pick it up.

Well worth keeping...

Mark

Old 03-19-2010 | 11:11 AM
mikemc
3rd Gear
i believe the difference is in the diameter. Ed uses a 2.5" to altas and RR 3". the factory is closer to ED but i hear the gain is substantial even with that little bit extra

Old 03-19-2010 | 11:46 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by orangecrush
There's nothing special about their cat. ED takes two cats and welds them together... no big secret, no big deal. What you're paying for is materials and the fact that they can duplicate their product because they made a jig.

They are great people and excellent welders, that I witnessed myself.

With the piping being larger, when used in conjunction with a bigger diameter catback, it definitely helps.

As far as selling you a JCW exhaust, I think it was one of NAM's members that didn't pick it up so they sold it. (can't leave stuff like that layin' around... )

In fact so much that when I drove down their to have them do my entire exhaust in the mini (obviously there is no way to bring it back) I had to go to FL a month later so I brought a trailer to pick it up.

Well worth keeping...

Mark
Ya thats what I meant about there cat was the materials. But ya that is exactly what happened with the exhaust and I ran into someone that siad is was their friends and he really didn't care. I should have gone and got the stock one because it was one of the replacements for the recall and it was pretty much brand new. I guess with the motor being so small that you really don't want a bigger dp unless you have a bigger turbo. I am still new to turbos so I am slowly figuring out what works and doesn't.

Old 03-19-2010 | 11:53 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
I went to exhaust Depot in Orlando specifically to buy a DP, I almost got one but they had to make it and then mail it to me. Listening to him talk about the catted DP and catless there really wasn't any R&D it was just fabricated a little bit bigger and I think the same materials that are in the stock cat. I did like one thing though that might make me get one anyway is that they started offering the pipes in powder coated. The plus is that it is cheaper and it has better restance to wear. It has similar heat reducing properties to the ceramic coating. I also want to back to them becaus they sold me a JCW exhaust for a $100 installed. Ya they are awesome
WTF. That JCW exhaust they sold you was mine. I left it there for a few months since i couldn't fit it in a MINI and thats all i've got. They had no right what so ever to sell it, it was not theres at all. Hector called me and asked why my exhaust was gone and why there is a cooper s exhaust there instead. Hector then found out that one of his workers decided that it was ok to sell somebody else's exhaust and profit off of it without informing the owner, when they had my phone number to do so. I asked for reimbursement of some kind for selling my factory JCW exhaust, which is easily worth $400 with only 6,000 miles on it, and they basically laughed, saying that if i want reimbursement then they would charge me storage fees and i would owe them money for leaving it there for a few months. They sold my exhaust to you, when it wasn't theres to sell. now i'm stuck with a cooper s exhaust thats worth close to nothing, while the ED catback i bought from them now sits about 3 inches too low because of shitty hangers. Its not your fault, but they ****ed me over with that. And now i can't even go back to fix my exhaust that is hanging WAY too low because Hector moved the shop. Thats what i call shady business.

Old 03-20-2010 | 12:04 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
DNadar,

Sorry to hear about these issues. If you really feel strongly about this, you could go to small claims.

Old 03-20-2010 | 03:20 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
DN,

My suggestion is at this point, take the exhaust back to them and let them fix it. I know that doesn't help with the loss of the exhaust but at least if it was fitted right, you'd be happy with your original purchase.

Now as far as the money they should have gotten (worth at least 300 bucks) Tell them you want a downpipe or something in exchange... perhaps they'll at least do that.

Unfortunately, I know as a bodyshop owner I get people that bring their cars in and perhaps get a new hood. Then I'm stuck holding on to the old hood.

After a while, it becomes a bother. While I admit it can be troublesome, they at least owe you the courtesy of calling you and saying "hey, you've got 1 week to get this out of here or I'm selling it".

Hope it works out for you.

Mark

Old 03-20-2010 | 03:57 AM
mikemc
3rd Gear
with personal property there is a legal time frame you have to re claim it. after that its the owner of the companies right to get rid of it as they please (we either trash it or donate it depending on what it is) and yes they can charge you for storing it. not saying that its right in this case but there are truths to both sides...

Old 03-20-2010 | 04:55 AM
cmcveay
|
3rd Gear
You are all awesome! Sounds like ED is the way to go for the least amount of hassle, worry, problems or whatever. Honestly though, the CEL isn't a total PITA yet and I'm hoping it'll get resolved - I think most of us are willing to work with the distributor to do so. I am very happy with the difference the DP has made in the car's "attitude".

Sucks that the JCW exhaust moved around like that but the previous post is correct. I had a friend actually lose an entire car when it was left at a local garage for too long. In this case, the guy was an idiot and I believe the term used was a "mechanics lien" because work had been performed, not paid for and essentially abandoned. What's the phrase... Possession in 9/10's of the law.

Thanks everyone.

Craig

Old 03-20-2010 | 06:38 AM
JamesHunt
Banned
Ya thats what I meant about there cat was the materials. But ya that is exactly what happened with the exhaust and I ran into someone that siad is was their friends and he really didn't care. I should have gone and got the stock one because it was one of the replacements for the recall and it was pretty much brand new. I guess with the motor being so small that you really don't want a bigger dp unless you have a bigger turbo. I am still new to turbos so I am slowly figuring out what works and doesn't.

Even with a stock turbo bigger is better when it comes to downpipes and exhaust. for every 100 hp you need to increase pipe diameter 1 inch .

Old 03-20-2010 | 03:28 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
DN,

My suggestion is at this point, take the exhaust back to them and let them fix it. I know that doesn't help with the loss of the exhaust but at least if it was fitted right, you'd be happy with your original purchase.

Now as far as the money they should have gotten (worth at least 300 bucks) Tell them you want a downpipe or something in exchange... perhaps they'll at least do that.

Unfortunately, I know as a bodyshop owner I get people that bring their cars in and perhaps get a new hood. Then I'm stuck holding on to the old hood.

After a while, it becomes a bother. While I admit it can be troublesome, they at least owe you the courtesy of calling you and saying "hey, you've got 1 week to get this out of here or I'm selling it".

Hope it works out for you.

Mark
Exhaust Depot is no longer local to me, since Hector moved the shop down to Miami, so i can't get it fixed with them. Rashaun is supposedly opening up a shop about five minutes from my house so if he does hopefully he'll help me out with it since hes the one that made it.

Already tried asking them to reimburse me with something, and they refused. I do understand that it may have been troublesome to have a 8 foot exhaust layin around in the shop, but they should have at least informed me before they sold it. I guarantee you if they would have told me to come and pick it up in a week or its gone i would have gotten it.

Oh, and thanks for the pizza Mark Not sure if you remember but I'm the one that gave you a ride when you were in Orlando to hear the ED Catback.

Old 03-20-2010 | 04:02 PM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Gotta love this 'mini-sized' MINI community. We're all family here, sometimes a dysfunctional one

What a loss, i'd be upset too. I'm currently on the market for a JCW exhaust to hook up to my Riss catless dp.

Old 03-21-2010 | 05:56 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DNadar
Exhaust Depot is no longer local to me, since Hector moved the shop down to Miami, so i can't get it fixed with them. Rashaun is supposedly opening up a shop about five minutes from my house so if he does hopefully he'll help me out with it since hes the one that made it.

Already tried asking them to reimburse me with something, and they refused. I do understand that it may have been troublesome to have a 8 foot exhaust layin around in the shop, but they should have at least informed me before they sold it. I guarantee you if they would have told me to come and pick it up in a week or its gone i would have gotten it.

Oh, and thanks for the pizza Mark Not sure if you remember but I'm the one that gave you a ride when you were in Orlando to hear the ED Catback.

I remember all right. You were kind enough to meet me at Hector's place just so I could go for a ride in your car to hear the exhaust.

That was above and beyond and the pizza.... well it was cool to sit down with another mini member.

One more thing.... if Rashaun doesn't open up a shop, I'll bet for about 25 bucks you can find an exhaust place that will cut the hangers off and reweld them in the proper location.

I know it sucks having to pay again but to make it right, it's worth it IMO.

Mark

Old 03-21-2010 | 12:19 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
I went to an exhaust shop near my house and i was told that the exhaust was putting way too much pressure on the rear hangers. He said i would need another flex section in the middle to fix the problem. I got quoted $125 for it. I know that has to be BS so i left. I just wish i had a way to get in contact with Rashaun

Old 04-08-2010 | 12:26 AM
ndylam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mikemc
with personal property there is a legal time frame you have to re claim it. after that its the owner of the companies right to get rid of it as they please (we either trash it or donate it depending on what it is) and yes they can charge you for storing it. not saying that its right in this case but there are truths to both sides...
You're right. I brought a brand new motorcycle Suzuki Gsx-R1000 back in 2005. I rode it for about 2 months then I got shipped to Iraq. I didn't have a garage at the time, so my friend told me I can put it in this garage till I get back. I got back in 2009 and he told me that he sold it. I took him to court but the judge said I left it there too long and he had the rights to get rid of it

Old 04-08-2010 | 09:56 AM
mikemc
3rd Gear
WOW! what a messed up friend he/she was to do that! although it was 4 years... did they try to contact you? or give you the money from the sale? (not that they have too)

Old 04-08-2010 | 01:39 PM
ndylam
3rd Gear
He did not try to contact me nor have the incentive of giving me the money. If he would then we didn't have to resolve in court. I took the lost and learn from this lesson.
"I trust everybody, its the devil inside them that I don't trust" - The Italian Job

Old 04-08-2010 | 01:42 PM
mikemc
3rd Gear
so... who had the pink slip/title to the vehicle? you should have reported it stolen! (sounds like it was)

Old 04-08-2010 | 02:30 PM
ndylam
3rd Gear
I still have the title and the key but it doesn't matter. He has the rights to request a new title for it since I left it unattended in his possession for a x-amount of time. It's the law and there is nothing I can do about it.

Old 04-08-2010 | 02:57 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
That's screwed up to treat anyone that way, especially someone serving our country! Sorry to hear about your troubles...

Old 04-08-2010 | 06:34 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Unfortunately after 4 years, it is considered abandoned...

Old 04-08-2010 | 10:17 PM
ndylam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
That's screwed up to treat anyone that way, especially someone serving our country! Sorry to hear about your troubles...
Thank you for your condolences .
Now back to the original post, are anyone running the Exhaust Depot DP with Milltek turboback? I would like to hear some feedbacks if possible.

Last edited by ndylam; 04-09-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-14-2010 | 04:57 AM
MBW Motorsports
Former Vendor
We're waiting for Riss Racing to get the O2 sim situation squared away too...but in the meantime, having a Scangauge II to clear the 2270 CEL is handy, besides that we're using it to monitor boost, AFR, water temp and IAT. The sound you get out of the catless/coated RR downpipe + stock JCW exhaust is perfect!

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:20 AM
mikemc
3rd Gear
still waiting on my Exhaust Depot DP... its been 2 weeks! I was thinking about getting one of those scanguages just in case... wonder if anyone would do a group buy on them...

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:31 AM
cmcveay
|
3rd Gear
Has anyone heard anything from Adam or anyone else at Riss Racing? I've emailed a couple of times and left voicemails since there's no answer at their order number. It's been several weeks since Adam last mentioned having "his engineer" coming in to look at the 02 Sim.

Tks,
Craig

Quick Reply: Drivetrain CATTED DP's and CEL