Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Milltek Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010 | 10:11 AM
goofyman
|
1st Gear
Milltek Exhaust

Had my exhaust installed yesterday - all except the front section. The shop i took it to wouldn't remove the front section of the stock exhaust with the secondary cat. Had a ***** of a time with the install things just didn't want to line up.
Now i need to find a shop or someone that can/will install the front section of the exhaust as well as the ED downpipe i have sitting in the garage.
I am sure i am not getting the full affect of the system. But it does sound nice - not overly load at all.
Anybody have recommendation for a shop in the chicago area that would be up for completing the install?

Last edited by goofyman; 04-07-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2010 | 12:58 AM
ndylam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by goofyman
Had my exhaust installed yesterday - all except the front section. The shop i took it to wouldn't remove the front section of the stock exhaust with the secondary cat. Had a ***** of a time with the install things just didn't want to line up.
Now i need to find a shop or someone that can/will install the front section of the exhaust as well as the ED downpipe i have sitting in the garage.
I am sure i am not getting the full affect of the system. But it does sound nice - not overly load at all.
Anybody have recommendation for a shop in the chicago area that would be up for completing the install?
How much did they charge you? If they won't install it then you can install it yourself. It's an easy DIY job.

Old 04-09-2010 | 04:14 PM
skakid812
2nd Gear
DP is easy once you get the heat shields off.. took me 2 hours to get those off and a half hour to get DP on... go figure

Old 04-12-2010 | 12:50 PM
goofyman
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ndylam
How much did they charge you? If they won't install it then you can install it yourself. It's an easy DIY job.
Shop charged me $100 for the portion they installed. Going to attempt the rest of the exhaust install and downpipe install myself - had to go get a floor jack and some stands.
Going to install a new intercooler as well while i have the front end off he ground.
Hopefully everything will go smooth

Old 04-12-2010 | 03:29 PM
ndylam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by goofyman
Shop charged me $100 for the portion they installed. Going to attempt the rest of the exhaust install and downpipe install myself - had to go get a floor jack and some stands.
Going to install a new intercooler as well while i have the front end off he ground.
Hopefully everything will go smooth
You might as well get the NM hot air discharge pipe since you're going to install a new intercooler. Hit 2 birds with one stone.

Old 01-02-2011 | 08:18 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Milltek Exhaust on a 2011 MCS

Here is my experience with the Milltek CatBack exhaust as I tried to install it between the holidays.

Aligning all the pieces took some doing but I was successful from the Downpipe all the way aft of the crossbrace, but there is when it all went downhill (hell in a handbasket). The pipe coming out of the muffler(headed forward toward the Resonator) is angled to one side and not just angled down and forward. This throws off the muffler placement as well as the pipe between the Resonator and the muffler. My Distributor is "Looking into it". I strongly suspect a manufacturing error and when you see the photos you will probably agree.

http://www.mini4fun.info/2011_Millte...ek_Photos.html

S.

Old 01-16-2011 | 12:29 AM
OttomanFD3S
1st Gear
my milltek has the odd angle as well.. but I was able to make it work,

but as the others said, it took some wrestling to make it all fit... and when cold I can feel a slight exhaust leak at some of the seams..

my exhaust tips are not straight/symetrical.. almost like the jig they used to put it together was off...

it's not that noticable on the car unless you look closely..

Old 01-16-2011 | 06:35 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Did you have to bend the factory hangers away from the stock positions to make it work? Was the V-Band connection a sharp shoulder?

I added comment and more photos to my web site to show how Milltek makes a V-Band surface.

I also updated how Way Motor Works and Stratmosphere treated this issue.

Stephen

Old 01-16-2011 | 09:54 AM
OttomanFD3S
1st Gear
No bending required..

I installed it myself..

I also posted a mini review in this section as well..

right below this thread

Old 01-16-2011 | 10:17 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Nothing "Posted Below"

Originally Posted by OttomanFD3S
No bending required..

I installed it myself..

I also posted a mini review in this section as well..

right below this thread
There is no link Posted.

You mentioned "Exhaust leaks when cold". Does anyone else experience this with Milltek? Does you smell gas leaks or smell burning plastic from the Tips hitting?

S.

Old 01-16-2011 | 11:24 AM
OttomanFD3S
1st Gear
Old 01-16-2011 | 11:49 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Same problems, even with an older car.

Your stock system has a jog in it between the muffler and the resonator, or that is how it appears. You found the same issues that I did but since your stock system had a offset the Milltek offset sort of works but with a major PITA "Adjustments". My stock system is arrow straight from the downpipe to the muffler tips. The Milltek is anything but straight. The only advantage to the Milltek system is the fact that it is a 2.5" system from the downpipe to the muffler. The stock 2011 system necks down from the V-Band connection on the downpipe to 2.164" before the second cat and opens all the way up to 2.175 after that second cat to the muffler. Constriction, constriction, constriction!

That was a nice write up with photos, thanks! What year is your Mini?

S.