Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain RMW tune..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010 | 04:42 PM
andrewshogun
|
2nd Gear
RMW tune..

What exactly does it include (parts and labor), how much performance difference gain, how does it affect reliability of vehicle, and what is the cost? I did do a search before this, can couldn't find all the info above. Apologize in advance if this has been answered. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2010 | 07:18 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
This thread -- curiously just a few links below yours -- has everything you could possibly ever want to know about the RMW tune. But here's a quick-and-dirty rundown just to whet your appetite.

Parts consist of a MyGenius OBDII programming tool, which comes with a cable to plug into your car's OBDII interface, a USB cable to plug into your computer (must be Windows-based), and the PC software needed to talk to it. Cost of the tool is $369. The 'canned' tune that you can load into your ECU with this tool is an additional $500. No other parts are needed. The canned tune is more aggressive than stock, but perfectly safe for your engine. The cost of the tune is due to the fact that the software in the MINI's ECU is a bonafide beeotch to work on. It's worth every penny. People have reported gains of as much as 20 hp and 30 lb/ft of torque, with increases in power across the whole RPM range, all without hurting fuel mileage -- in some cases actually improving it.

Simply put, the steps are:
- buy the OBDII tool and the tune from Jan at RMW. Email him at jbrueg@***.net for details if you can't find the info you need in the link above.
- when you receive the tool, follow all the included instructions on installing the pc software and synching the tool up with your pc. Very simple process.
- plug the tool into your MINI's OBDII connection, and follow the instructions on downloading your stock ECU information.
- plug the tool back into your pc, save your stock tune file from it and email it to Jan.
- Jan will send you a modified tune file for the specific software in your ECU.
- plug the tool into your NINI's IBDII connection and follow the instructions on uploading the modified tune to your car's ECU.
- unplug, start 'er up, and hold onto your socks.

My '10 MCS is bone stock except for the tune, and after loading it up I felt an immediate kick in the pants. The car is very alive and happy, and much more fun to drive. Jan is extremely reputable, between his technical know-how with these ECUs and his excellent customer service. If you do happen to have any issues, he'll work with you until they're fixed. Many people have installed this tune, and I've seen nothing but great feedback -- my own included.

If you have any intentions of modding your MINI, I highly recommend starting here.

Old 04-30-2010 | 08:03 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
One thing....the flash tool is not needed for a tune (unless it is a remote tune).....the flash tool lets you re-load the tune after a dealer flash....or re-load the dealer tune for service/warranty work.
If the tune is done "live", the tool just adds to flexibility.....
Every car is different...some gain a little...some gain lot....you don't know till the tune. Just remember...nothing in life is free.
The tune is about making better use of what you already have in your car....optimizing it....some motors are naturally stronger...this lets those shine....or motors that have mods make more power, in an efficient manner.
Safe is a relative term....safe compared to what? The stock tune? Mechanically? You should be fine....you are running your car's components a BIT harder than stock.......
Warranty Wise?

As for cost....the tune $$ is for Jan's expertise.....you still must pay for Dino time...usually about $100 for an hour's time (it is possible to tune without a dino using street runs...but most folks can get to a Dino to rent, or to an Dino event for a tune...it IS the best way for an accurate tune).

Old 05-01-2010 | 12:21 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
I know this is not the same as a verified dyno run but on my Iphone with dynolicious App. I was doing consecutive 171 HP runs (with exhaust, intake, and Intercooler) and now after Jan's tune I am putting down 211hp on dynolicious.

Old 05-01-2010 | 08:02 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
I know its not real either, but my scanguage2 said 301 on hp and it used to say 239
Please, dont beat me up I know its not real, but it sure made me smile Im sure thats crank HP if anything at all? Does anyone know where the scanguage2 reading is from?

Old 05-01-2010 | 08:12 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
"For real" numbers from my recent tune...

+21HP (167 to 188) and +9tq (from 194 to 203). I've got a DDMworks Street intake, Borla Sport exhaust and an M7 hot side boost tube. Talking with Jan and several other folks at the Dragon this week, I can expect an improvement with a better intercooler.

I don't trust the "butt dyno" or any other device in which the car or the engine isn't strapped into for measurement - it's all too subjective.

So, I'm not beating anyone up, just sharing numbers that are a matter of record from a calibrated device. I had 9 pulls on the dyno so I know the numbers can be repeated (+/- a couple with each pull).

My .02 is that a custom tune is, without a doubt, the single best performance mod you can make. There's no hype, no B.S. and no guessing if this device or that device actually made any additional power. The custom tune (on a dyno) leaves no doubt...

Old 05-01-2010 | 08:50 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
my "real" numbers are 168h/200t to 207h/222t and have since re installed my stock intake, and it is even faster

Old 05-01-2010 | 09:26 PM
Sabes
3rd Gear
My numbers were 173whp/207wtq to 190whp/250wtq... HUGE improvement, mine was a dyno tune though.

From what i hear, reliability is pretty good. I've had the tune for a good 1000 miles with no problems, i know orangecrush has a JCW with the RMW tune and its had it for over 20k miles.... I'd imagine though, pushing 17-18psi instead of 12-13psi is going to affect the life of the turbo... Not sure if its by anything significant though

Old 05-02-2010 | 06:18 AM
Arnel
2nd Gear
So is everyone seeing 17-18 lbs boost with the tune?

Old 05-24-2010 | 04:12 PM
Testudo-NC
Neutral
Originally Posted by Eds not-so-red MINI
This thread -- curiously just a few links below yours -- has everything you could possibly ever want to know about the RMW tune. But here's a quick-and-dirty rundown just to whet your appetite.

Parts consist of a MyGenius OBDII programming tool, which comes with a cable to plug into your car's OBDII interface, a USB cable to plug into your computer (must be Windows-based), and the PC software needed to talk to it. Cost of the tool is $369. The 'canned' tune that you can load into your ECU with this tool is an additional $500. No other parts are needed. The canned tune is more aggressive than stock, but perfectly safe for your engine. The cost of the tune is due to the fact that the software in the MINI's ECU is a bonafide beeotch to work on. It's worth every penny. People have reported gains of as much as 20 hp and 30 lb/ft of torque, with increases in power across the whole RPM range, all without hurting fuel mileage -- in some cases actually improving it.

Simply put, the steps are:
- buy the OBDII tool and the tune from Jan at RMW. Email him at jbrueg@***.net for details if you can't find the info you need in the link above.
- when you receive the tool, follow all the included instructions on installing the pc software and synching the tool up with your pc. Very simple process.
- plug the tool into your MINI's OBDII connection, and follow the instructions on downloading your stock ECU information.
- plug the tool back into your pc, save your stock tune file from it and email it to Jan.
- Jan will send you a modified tune file for the specific software in your ECU.
- plug the tool into your NINI's IBDII connection and follow the instructions on uploading the modified tune to your car's ECU.
- unplug, start 'er up, and hold onto your socks.

My '10 MCS is bone stock except for the tune, and after loading it up I felt an immediate kick in the pants. The car is very alive and happy, and much more fun to drive. Jan is extremely reputable, between his technical know-how with these ECUs and his excellent customer service. If you do happen to have any issues, he'll work with you until they're fixed. Many people have installed this tune, and I've seen nothing but great feedback -- my own included.

If you have any intentions of modding your MINI, I highly recommend starting here.

Hi All. This is my first post ever. I just got my MINI and haven't done anything yet although a DDM Works street intake is on order. And I'm thinking of getting an X brace, and maybe something to prevent mushrooming strut towers but that's another post.

So, on the one hand this seems like a pretty serious step to take- with regard to warranties etc. I have 21K miles on my 08 MCS, so this is a concern. But if it is just a software upload and I have a backup of the original, and the update file that is sent to me from Jan, might this be as simple as- "getting service tomorrow- upload the original config tonight"? or does it not really work that way? For those of you familiar with PC BIOS software- if there is a problem when updating a BIOS it is possible render the motherboard useless with a failed update. Is it the same way with this or is it a pretty safe process?

Hope I posted this correctly..... Thanks in advance.

Old 05-24-2010 | 04:40 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
In computer terms, the level you are dealing with is much higher than with bios....
Now if a dealer really wants to give you grief, they can...the computer (by most accounts) records how often the software has been flashed...so just be aware if you are not willing to take a chance voiding your warrenty, then don't play....it does have risks....the box that can upload and save your tune should be looked at as a way to ensure your tune does not disappear due to a dealer flash, as opposed to a simple way to defraud mini on dealer claims....know your local dealer, some are very tollerant of tuned mini's...some will do anything+everything they can to avoid warrenty claims.

Old 05-24-2010 | 07:48 PM
Testudo-NC
Neutral
Defraud the dealer? If they are reasonable that's fine. I just don't know if they look for reasons not to cover otherwise covered issues. For example if they want to say that a warped scoop is due to a tune, or a cold start rattle is due to a tune- that isn't reasonable. I would go out of my way to not give them the easy opportunity to defraud ME. I guess I need to have a discussion with the dealer and see how they feel about this particular mod and gauge their attitude.

Old 05-25-2010 | 05:44 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Testudo-NC
Defraud the dealer? If they are reasonable that's fine. I just don't know if they look for reasons not to cover otherwise covered issues. For example if they want to say that a warped scoop is due to a tune, or a cold start rattle is due to a tune- that isn't reasonable. I would go out of my way to not give them the easy opportunity to defraud ME. I guess I need to have a discussion with the dealer and see how they feel about this particular mod and gauge their attitude.
It might be best to ask other local folks....
It is always eassier to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission....
If you ask...they will likely say any mod will void it....
But dealers would actually (some) ask gen1 guys why they haven't done a pulley yet back in gen1 days...half joking, half serious!! So ask the locals....

Old 05-26-2010 | 06:34 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
My dealer sucks so bad at fixing a stock car, I don't want to give them any excuses not to fix my car. Impossible to get anything done (right).