Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain QUIETEST INTAKE with PERFORMANCE gains?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010 | 10:59 AM
karmavore
|
2nd Gear
QUIETEST INTAKE with PERFORMANCE gains?

I'm thinking FORGE, any thoughts, recommendations?

Looking for hidden power, not hidden noise.

Old 05-12-2010 | 12:50 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
JCW intake is the perfect match for you

Old 05-13-2010 | 08:25 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
The intakes making the most power on tuned R56's is the STOCK intake (or JCW even better). Jan has been tunning these cars for over a year now and he has said multiple times, the best power is coming from the STOCK piece (or JCW). But the Forge is a good closed system. I have a carbon dynamics CDA that I will sell, its a $375 intake. Google it.After buying 4 aftermarket intakes and spending well over $1000.00 Im back to stock

Old 05-13-2010 | 11:46 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
anyone have part #'s for the JCW intake? and Pricing?

Old 05-13-2010 | 11:55 AM
wac
1st Gear
outmotoring.com , around $300.

Old 05-13-2010 | 01:25 PM
karmavore
|
2nd Gear
1) Outmotoring sounds like LGBT automotive blog

2) I can believe that the stock intake makes more power than _some_ aftermarket models, but more than _all_ I find hard to believe. It kind of defies physics and reason, does it not?

Old 05-13-2010 | 01:48 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
No, Who do you think has more money to spend on R&D BMW or ALta, or M7 or NM or K&N or ........

Those BMW techs spend years and millions of dollars working on these things, why do you think that the JCW factory intake so closely resembels the stock S intake. They could have made it like the JCW stage one intake but didnt. They would have used the better of the two designes.

Plus I am not guessing here. Jan has been tunning these cars for over a year and has tuned them with almost all available intakes, and HE was the one who said that the factory intake is giving the best numbers. SO its not a guess, but an observation using a real dyno not a but dyno. and not just one car but tens or hundreds of cars...

Old 05-13-2010 | 01:57 PM
karmavore
|
2nd Gear
...because MAX performance is not BMWs primary consideration with either the stock unit OR the JCW?

Old 05-13-2010 | 02:17 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Ok if you say so. I guess you must have personal knowledge from tunning R56 mini coopers with different intakes on a Dyno. I bow out to your superior experience and knowledge

Like I said I have a Carbon Dynamics CDA for sale it was $375 retail, I will sell it cheap its better than the forge. Carbon Dynamics makes intakes for turbo 911's and other very nice cars. It performs great, the only other intake that performes as well or bettter is the DOS which I have also had, it was a little noisy for me so I went with the CDA instead. Ok to be fair I have not had any M7 intakes, but the dyno numbers on the cars with them dont seem to be that high... Unless someone has one that proves me wrong??? Come to think of it, scottab36 (if thats the right name) has an M7 AGSR (I think) and his numbers where high, hmm I will have to ask him.

Nope surprise surprise, Scott has the JCW intake......

Last edited by chakraj; 05-13-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2010 | 02:34 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
I pulled my Alta intake off and reinstalled my stocker after the RMW tune. I will say, the alta gave me a bit better MPG but the stocker gives me more felt power. The alta gives a great growl and BOV woosh but I will not be reinstalling it.

Old 05-13-2010 | 03:59 PM
karmavore
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chakraj
Ok if you say so. I guess you must have personal knowledge from tunning R56 mini coopers with different intakes on a Dyno. I bow out to your superior experience and knowledge
Nobody knows how to have a discussion anymore!! Geesh....

Maybe _you_ should admit that your information comes second hand from ONE tuner. Maybe he's off. Who knows... all I know is I _guarantee_ you that no one running Minis as a race cars is using the stock intake. Find me ONE and I'll bow to your _friends_ "persona'" knowledge.

..and who is this Jan, anyway?

Old 05-13-2010 | 04:48 PM
karmavore
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chakraj
Like I said I have a Carbon Dynamics CDA for sale it was $375 retail, I will sell it cheap its better than the forge.
Got pics?

Old 05-13-2010 | 04:53 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
I dont have to admit it comes from one person, since I made a statement saying my info came from one person. So I guess that I should admit that I made a statement

He may be off, you are correct. As I said I am getting this info from someone who has been tuning this car for over a year. He just gave me his best advice. You will obviously need to do the testing yourself to be sure.

Since he has done the tunes himself and has used dyno's when doing them I will take his word more than the word of someone who has not.

Every challenge race mini uses the stock airbox, oops, I guess that blows away your statement

Here is a quote

Let's get one thing straight; comparing the MINI Cooper S JCW MINI Challenge racer to the regular, road-going John Cooper Works is like comparing an HSV GTS or FPV GT to a V8 Supercar.
While it may look like the standard 'brick' at a glance, this MINI is a proper racing car. It should be, because it is built by BMW Motorsport in Germany, the same team that builds the World Touring Cars and GT machines for the American Le Mans Series.

and they use the Stock JCW intake, hmmm.

Old 05-13-2010 | 04:56 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
QUIETEST INTAKE with PERFORMANCE gains?-pwi-2-2.jpg

Old 05-13-2010 | 05:46 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
JCW from morristownmini, if you really can't leave stock alone. It's not only the best, but it's the only one that doesn't put some sort of oily filter before the hotwire MAf sensor and won't cause you any grief on dealer visits. Morristown's a bit cheaper than outmotoring.
Replacement filters are about $45, but since it's a true CAI using the factory snorkel, the filter doesn't get very dirty, unlike the open hot air intakes on the market.

Old 05-13-2010 | 05:56 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by karmavore
1) Outmotoring sounds like LGBT automotive blog

2) I can believe that the stock intake makes more power than _some_ aftermarket models, but more than _all_ I find hard to believe. It kind of defies physics and reason, does it not?

1) Nope..not a blog at all. Happens to be one of the best and helpful places for Mini parts / accessories / ect.

2) I think its actually just more power in the more "daily useable" powerband if i remember correctly Im pretty sure many aftermarket intakes will yield more power at wot, compared to the stockers.

But in the grand scheme of things, an intake is pretty much just for looks and noise. These cars tend to benefit a lot more from other mods, such as an intercooler...but there are other threads for that..

Old 05-13-2010 | 05:56 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Nobody knows how to have a discussion anymore!! Geesh....

Maybe _you_ should admit that your information comes second hand from ONE tuner. Maybe he's off. Who knows... all I know is I _guarantee_ you that no one running Minis as a race cars is using the stock intake. Find me ONE and I'll bow to your _friends_ "persona'" knowledge.

..and who is this Jan, anyway?
Always nice to see such experts that are new to the community. Why are you bothering to ask here if you discount any advice given.

Old 05-13-2010 | 06:12 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
Always nice to see such experts that are new to the community. Why are you bothering to ask here if you discount any advice given.
Haha I know...nearly every response was stay with stock or JCW...and he says no....

You are asking people here because they have had experience. Listen to their advice. Many people have tried a large variety of intakes, and they all do one thing...give sound and no performance. The only reason I have mine is because I like the sound too much.

I don't doubt that the DoS CAI might make some more power than stock...but he wants something "quiet" so that's out of the question

Old 05-13-2010 | 07:14 PM
karmavore
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
I don't have to be a Mini expert to understand basic physics and to know there's no rational reason what you're saying is true unless, as iwashmycar pointed out, you're implying stipulations like "daily useable".

**There is just no way, all things being equal, that the STOCK INTAKE (please stop confusing the issue by tossing the JCW unit in the mix) makes more PEAK POWER than ALL AFTERMARKET intakes.**

Old 05-13-2010 | 08:14 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Then why ask for anybody's advice here? You apparently have the only answer you care about.

Old 05-13-2010 | 08:27 PM
karmavore
|
2nd Gear
My question was not IF, but WHICH. Which intakes are both quiet and high performing.

I have no doubt that on the extremely quiet end of the spectrum is the OEM box.

I find it impossible to believe it is also on the other extreme of the spectrum.

That's just not possible.

Old 05-13-2010 | 08:30 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I don't have to be a Mini expert to understand basic physics and to know there's no rational reason what you're saying is true unless, as iwashmycar pointed out, you're implying stipulations like "daily useable".

**There is just no way, all things being equal, that the STOCK INTAKE (please stop confusing the issue by tossing the JCW unit in the mix) makes more PEAK POWER than ALL AFTERMARKET intakes.**
FYI...the JCW is the same as the stock. The one included in the Stage 1 JCW kit merely has a different filter.

Your original question has been answered many times in this thread. You want a quiet intake that performs? Stock. Question answered...don't believe it? See for yourself

Old 05-13-2010 | 08:39 PM
wac
1st Gear
MINIutia dyno... stock AF

Old 05-13-2010 | 08:57 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
My question was not IF, but WHICH. Which intakes are both quiet and high performing.

I have no doubt that on the extremely quiet end of the spectrum is the OEM box.

I find it impossible to believe it is also on the other extreme of the spectrum.

That's just not possible.
OK, if you say so.

Old 05-13-2010 | 09:04 PM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
Is it possible to run the JCW intake on a Justa or am I s.o.l.?

Nevermind, it looks like I answered my own question:

http://www.outmotoring.com/search.ph...=search&page=1

Quick Reply: Drivetrain QUIETEST INTAKE with PERFORMANCE gains?