Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Rev Limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010 | 04:03 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
Rev Limiter?

Hey I wanted to know if there is a company that even makes that for our cars?
My friend said I should get one so that it cuts off the ignition timing. He also said it would shoot flames out the pipe if I get a straight pipe..? That doesn't sound like that's good for the engine. He has a 2.5 Rs Subaru and he said its popular on Subaru's and Mazda rx7s.

Thanks,

-Chris

Old 05-12-2010 | 04:44 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Sounds like a two step....not for MINI here but give you an idea http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedF...ons%281%29.pdf
Also it could be a misfire system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antilag_system
They are very common on Scubbies, though an Rs thats a first that I have heard. A buddy had a misfire system on his STI and let me tell you it was loud as hell shot about a 2 foot flame and launched like a bat at of hell. Though they car damage the engine so use caution. Also most Subbies with an exhaust will shoot out a flame with an upgraded dp and exhaust. With a tune, intake, intercooler, and turbo back exhaust I could see possibly shooting a flame but it would have to be an exgressive tune maybe even an upgraded turbo.

Videos to show you what it is
Anti Lag aka misfire system
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/4790732/Anti_Lag_STi
Launch control
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJZC-YwzP0I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eomDeDxW-Ic

BTW thank you for asking about something that could help make MINIs go somewhere out of the I,DP,E realm of think it can run 10s!

Last edited by Porthos; 05-12-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2010 | 06:12 PM
Dave-r56
1st Gear
Am I mistaken or just missing the point ? Don't our MINI's already have rev limiters ?

Old 05-12-2010 | 06:50 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Yes they do have rev limiters. Let me see if I can explain it a little better.
2 step
When you go to launch your car in a drag race or just want to accelerate as fast as possible with the least amount of tire spin, you have to find that sweet spot in the revs of the motor. Doing this is very difficult to maintain, you end up going up and down as much as 400-500rpm high or low. With a 2 step it brings the revs up to that sweet spot in the revs of the motor and maintains it there all the while you have your foot to the floor, so that when you launch it is the best that you can do with the least amount of tire spin. This can lead to better times on the strip or other race that would require a good launch. If you were to put your foot to the floor and drop the clutch it will decrease the life of your drivetrain and can blow up clutches, transmissions, and half shafts. A 2 step would be extremely useful in autox being that you need to have a could launch as well as a good run.
Anti lag system
The page that I linked really explains it the best but, if you don't want to read here is the dirty of it. It as system that uses a selenoid to force charged past the TB or into the EM to spool up the turbo so that when the vehicle launches it will not have turbo lag. On the MINI that really isn't a problem due to the twin scroll so there is almost no lag. Also this will help during shifting between gears.

I hope this helped.

Old 05-12-2010 | 08:10 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
hmmmm I just told him what you said and he said that he has heard of people with an Rs shoot flames... but does that work with a non turbo or do you need a turbo?

So basically we dont need this cause our turbos rule =D?

Old 05-13-2010 | 12:21 AM
Ottoman_FD3S
3rd Gear
in the RX7 world.. we use the Bee-R unit, or enable it on the appropriate stand alone EMS (haltech,motec,microtech etc)

but if u want to do it just to have a "flame thrower" effect on your car i wouldn't do it..

especially since u still have ur cats...

Old 05-13-2010 | 03:37 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by swisstexmini
hmmmm I just told him what you said and he said that he has heard of people with an Rs shoot flames... but does that work with a non turbo or do you need a turbo?

So basically we dont need this cause our turbos rule =D?
You can get a n/a car to do it but is significantly more difficult you need more power plus the addition of straight pipes will be a great idea. You will burn up you cats with them still install on the exhaust.It would be sweet I was thinking about trying this out on the MINI but I need a good tune plus straight through exhaust.

Old 05-13-2010 | 08:16 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
BTW you got me into looking at antilag systems and found out they will destroy your turbo, manifold, dp, and exhaust. So that counts that out until I can afford to have a few on the side to tear up.

Old 05-13-2010 | 09:51 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ottoman_FD3S
in the RX7 world.. we use the Bee-R unit, or enable it on the appropriate stand alone EMS (haltech,motec,microtech etc)

but if u want to do it just to have a "flame thrower" effect on your car i wouldn't do it..

especially since u still have ur cats...
Will it effect your turbo? Cause my friend just ordered one for his scubbi Rs

He doesnt have a turbo so not sure this will work? to shoot flames. I think t would hurt his engine.

Old 05-13-2010 | 09:51 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
BTW you got me into looking at antilag systems and found out they will destroy your turbo, manifold, dp, and exhaust. So that counts that out until I can afford to have a few on the side to tear up.
Can you send links on those? Id like to check out the info.

Old 05-14-2010 | 04:51 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
http://www.aceengineering.ca/antiLag.asp
There are also a couple of links in my first post you want to look at.

Old 05-23-2010 | 04:02 AM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
I seee cool stuff thanks for the info