Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain obd II interface cable for diagnostics???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
obd II interface cable for diagnostics???

Hey everybody,
Well I'll start by saying I'm trying to obtain an OBDII to USB interface cable to use along with diagnostic software on my laptop. I know you can't just buy any cable like the ones on eBay because the pin outs are different for each manufacturer. Now I'm gonna reference some old stuff going back to the days of the MTH tuner software. Since whatever cable people were using to flash their ECUs with the MTH software seemed to work, I wonder where could I get one of those and what do I have to look for to ensure compatibility? Also would that cable be able to communicate data properly for diagnostics with the ECU or was its capability limited to flashes only. Anyone with some insight on this please help me out.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
By the way I found this cable on Ebay with a serial port I believe but the price is quite a bit more than I was expecting it would be. I'm sure people who were doing these MTH flashes werent paying $400 for a cable. If someone can just point me in the right direction it would be very appreciated.

Steve

Old 05-14-2010, 05:42 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need an ELM 327 interface to go between your laptop and the MINI computer. Try this link: http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5546065.

From there, you would need to get the diagnostic software. One that I found is DataPro Standard. Here's an article on it: http://downloads.digitaltrends.com/d...ostic-software. It appears to be $99.97. Go here for some additional purchasing info: http://www.downv.com/Windows/downloa...d-10102433.htm. The company also appears to be working on a version that allows datalogging for tuning purposes.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:49 AM
checkmate2006
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the best solution for diagnostics that is specific to MINI/BMW. Bav. Technic includes the cable, and software. Don't waste your money on all kinds of interfaces, and cables.

Bavarian Technics

Last edited by checkmate2006; 05-14-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get it from NAM vendors

both me (FES Auto) and Helix carry the Bav Tech SW. Might as well make sure that one of the NAM paying vendors gets a slice of the pie!

If you're going low cost, you can make your own cables by getting an OBD-II connector and a serial cable. If you want to go to USB you need some electronics between the two to make it all work.

I've used some Elm based stuff, and it works. For my garage stuff, I use a combo of laptop based things and an Innova scanner. The Innova is great for reading codes quickly and easily, and doesn't require any hassle of the laptop and the like.

Matt

Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Originally Posted by checkmate2006
Here is the best solution for diagnostics that is specific to MINI/BMW. Bav. Technic includes the cable, and software. Don't waste your money on all kinds of interfaces, and cables.

Bavarian Technics
Thanks Checkmate, I was already aware of them. I know it really is a very complete kit for a very reasonable price. The reason why I was asking is because a friend of mine is a BMW tech and he said he might be able to get a copy of DIS for me and I saw a thread on bimmerforums about a guy hosting a download of the GT1 software. Now whether or not its all even possible and has actually come together is unknown to me at this time. It does seem however like much more work than I'm probably willing to invest!

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
both me (FES Auto) and Helix carry the Bav Tech SW. Might as well make sure that one of the NAM paying vendors gets a slice of the pie!

If you're going low cost, you can make your own cables by getting an OBD-II connector and a serial cable. If you want to go to USB you need some electronics between the two to make it all work.

I've used some Elm based stuff, and it works. For my garage stuff, I use a combo of laptop based things and an Innova scanner. The Innova is great for reading codes quickly and easily, and doesn't require any hassle of the laptop and the like.

Matt
Doc, no need to worry about the support. I know you're a vendor and I'd definitely go to a vendor here or M/A before anyone else for purchases. I was first concerned about spending all this money on the Bav Tech kit and having no use for it outside of my one Mini. However I guess if you buy this kit and an Innova scanner you're at about the same price as AE software with the added enhanced BMW package.

Jumpin Jack Flash thanks for the links, the research is much appreciated. I guess the Doc is probably right though. Its probably easier just to get one of those Innova scanners and not have to fuss with the laptop assuming all it can do is generic OBDII functions. Now if the laptop could do more detailed diagnostic work than it would make sense to use it. However just for clearing codes and reading generic data, the scanner is probably the smarter, easier and more convenient way to go.

The debates in my head shall continue as to what to purchase or not. Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated

Steve

Last edited by Vernon29RW; 05-18-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:01 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually, I've learned more since I posted. I'm going to get the Tuner Tools setup below so I can finish up my tuning (since I already have the tuner itself to upload updates files from Jan at RMW).

Tuner Tools - OBDLink: http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ST-425100
Tuner Tools - ScanXL Pro: http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp...PPE-ScanXL-PRO