Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ECU Mod, Aftermarket Parts, and Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010 | 04:22 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
I think stinkytofu and I go to the same dealership because last week I dropped my Mini off for a trunk rattle and a couple other things to be fixed and they said nothing to me nor asked any questions.

They won't on stuff like that. However, pop your engine and take it in with the engine mods and see how accommodating they will be. Even a dealer that says they are mod friendly will try to bow out of a 5K + repair if there is any possibility that a mod may have been at fault.

Old 05-19-2010 | 07:53 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
Let's be totally honest
if you are worried,, don't mod your car period
Perfectly said...

Originally Posted by Helix13mini
There is information stored along with the fault, but I have never seen boost pressure recorded with engine DTCs. You are correct that it would be an obvious telltale. There is also a tamper code which does not illuminate the check engine light. If the tuning software doesn't recognize and erase it, it would be captured by a factory scan for trouble codes. I think most flash-to-eprom softwares clear this code. From what I've seen piggybacks don't.
DTC faults and DME faults are different from what I know. A DTC code will trigger a CEL...whereas a fault that is stored in the DME won't trigger a CEL. A common example of this is the "superknock" fault...which lots of R56's have, even stock. This doesn't cause a CEL, and if you never bring the car in you'd probably never even know the fault was stored in there.

I have a print out of my DME fault from the tech who worked on my car...and boost pressure is clearly on there. Maybe not every fault displays it, since mine was directly related to high boost pressure.

I can scan a picture of it...it has the boost pressure that the car saw, and has the boost pressure set-point at which a fault will be triggered. Both measured in mbar.

Old 05-20-2010 | 08:23 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Yeah there are certainly better service departments than others.

Side note: what happened that you are needing your head gasket replaced?
there is a good amount of oil around my 3rd and 4th spark plug coils. its actually the second time im going back for it. i wonder if the dealer just cleaned it off the first time and called it a day

Old 05-20-2010 | 08:44 AM
StillwaterMINI
2nd Gear
Is the RMW worth the Money? Has anyone had this? Any issues?

Old 05-20-2010 | 09:08 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Jan is good at what he does. You won't be disappointed.