Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Battery dear! Can I jump start it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010 | 03:45 PM
SharoSC02
|
5th Gear
Battery dear! Can I jump start it?

I meant the battery is dead, typo.

Can I jump start it Without ruining Jan's tune? If so, do I have to unhook the battery then give it a jump before reattaching it back to the car?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Old 05-24-2010 | 04:05 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Yes. As a safety procedure, I always have the "doner" car turned off. THe old days of reving the good car to get a piece of junk started are long gone. If you are totally paranoid, Dissconnect the batery totally and charge it from the good car. Then hook it back up and start it.

I always want to know WHY a battery goes dead. Simple forget fulness we all do, or some other technical reason you should know about.

Be aware of modern high density batteries. If you run one totally down, it will probably fail in a couple of weeks.

Old 05-24-2010 | 04:28 PM
SharoSC02
|
5th Gear
Thanks for the reply. I have "Service engine Soon" light that has been on for 2 years now and since I can't get it to smog the car has been sitting in the garage without the new registration tag.

So the battery has gone dead on me as of this morning. I had been trying to start the car often and run it however today it wanted to not start.

Also, just called a local shop and asked about the battery and then said it's totally fine to just jump start it cause the "cpu" and the battery are totally isolated from each other.

Originally Posted by tvrgeek
Yes. As a safety procedure, I always have the "doner" car turned off. THe old days of reving the good car to get a piece of junk started are long gone. If you are totally paranoid, Dissconnect the batery totally and charge it from the good car. Then hook it back up and start it.

I always want to know WHY a battery goes dead. Simple forget fulness we all do, or some other technical reason you should know about.

Be aware of modern high density batteries. If you run one totally down, it will probably fail in a couple of weeks.

Old 05-25-2010 | 04:38 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
CPU and battery are NOT isolated. If a shop really said that, find a different shop as either they are not qualified to work on cars, or they are so disrespectful of their customers not to be trustworthy.