Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Co2, Intake temps, engine temps, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 06:44 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering about a SUPER LOW DOSE CO2 (dry ice) sprayer. They're fairly inexpensive (the kits). But what about just a tiny "shot" of it onto the intercooler on real hot days in either bad traffic or hard driving. Couldn't we just lower intake temps (and possibly oil and engine temps) 20 degrees or so instead of like 50-90 degrees???? What does anyone think?

My basic question is for a couple hundred bucks or less (versus $1000 for a new intercooler), what can we do to lower intake temps and possibly lower oil and engine temps????? Would the dry ice sprayer in warm weather be a potential solution?

It's also my understanding that colder spark plugs may help in this regard and are recommended for us pulley owners. Can someone explain what a colder range spark plug does and how it helps lower engine temps?

Thanks.

Old 12-02-2003, 07:13 AM
orbhot
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good idea - I've seen one of the aftermarkt companies that has a C02 sprayer for the intercooler (if I can remember which one, I'll come back and edit the post and insert the link). But if I remember correctly their system was several hndred dollars. Your idea of putting together a cheaper system makes sense.
I built a water spritzer for my IC for less than 20 bucks using some vacuum tubing, a piece of aluminum tube, a couple of brass fittings and a generic washer pump. I took it back off though because it didn't seem to do much good and looked pretty jury-rigged (which it was)
A CO2 system should be able to cool much better should be better for the IC.

As for the spark plugs, I'm still running stock and haven't heard anything about switching to different temp range plugs.

Old 12-02-2003, 07:22 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the spark plugs, I'm still running stock and haven't heard anything about switching to different temp range plugs.
The discussions about the Pilo Ignition system recommends colder plugs for pulley users. Maybe this has more to do with the combo of the stronger ignition plus the pulley, I don't know. But I thought colder plugs benefitted pulled cars. Not performance-wise per se, but reliability and engine temps-wise.

Old 12-02-2003, 07:31 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
My basic understanding of a colder plug is that it lowers the likelyhood of detonation or preignition of the incoming air/fuel mixture, a very bad thing. I believe the mini has knock sensors that will probably reduce timeing and richen the mixture if it detects a ping. In a stock configuration, with premium fuel, BMW probably has spec's the right plug. In cars with a reduction pulley or JCW the intake temperatures are increased so 1 or 2 ranges colder of a plug seems to be the popular thinking. In fact I think the JCW kit comes with 4 new colder plugs, that you I can't get.
Speaking solely from my ATV experience, colder plugs can eventualy make it harder to start the engine in extremely cold conditions. Honda's recomendation for my ATV was one range colder for extended wide open throttle use. It was air cooled,
but I think that avoiding detonation was the point and not so much engine temps.
Too cold of a plug, in theory would probably be likely to foul. I read on here that someone was running 2 ranges colder without issue, but I don't think that he was running stock either.

Old 12-02-2003, 08:00 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
As far as price goes, don't expect to see a big savings by making a system yourself. I spent many many hours researching this, with the intent of marketing a less expensive system. The tanks, solenoids, hose etc. cannot be purchased very cheap...even in bulk. Trust me. If you might remember, I was the first to install the Co2 system in a Cooper S....been there, done it.

By making a small "dose " system, you will not acheive a cooloing effect that you are intending. It would be like watering your entire lawn with the "jet" setting on the nozzle, rather than the "spray" setting. You would be hitting such a small area of the intercooler that the rest of the surface would very quickly absorb the cooling effect of the small area sprayed. When you spray the entire intercooler, you are bringing a larger surface area to a much lower temp, and the recovery to a warmer temp. takes much longer.

Old 12-02-2003, 09:05 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the Cry02 kit on my wrx. my first problem was getting the actual C02...
no paintball gun places had the 6AN fitting to be able to recharge the bottle.
Fire extinguisher places were only open 9-5pm and far from where i worked.
Gas places were also only open 9-5pm and i just could not get the supply of
C02 on a regular basis vs nitrous from a store 2min away. :lol so im using
nitrous on the Cryo2 kit.

the intercooler spray kit is a very valuable item especially on hot days
when you got a Evo8 revving its motor at you at a red light. water sprays
just doesn't cut it while the car is stationary.

the thing about these sprays is that the bottle empties real fast. i only purge
the spray once in a while, but the 10lbs bottle empties almost every 2 weeks
if im on it. a 10lbs bottle will last approx 3min with the valve open wide.

if you're into drag racing, you'd want to hook up the micro sw to the throttle
linkage....not sure how that's done on the Mini..so that you will spray continuously
during your wot run. there is significant difference in hp with and without the
nitrous cooler (butt dyno detectable difference).

Old 12-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
so im using
>>nitrous on the Cryo2 kit.

ummm.
>>
DON'T DO THIS ON THE MCS! The intercooler is WAY too close in proximity to the stock intake snorkel. You would dump unregulated amounts of nitrous into the engine (the same is true with CO2) You need to isolate your intake air path from the gas environment. I saw an approx. 30 hp loss because of CO2 induction, so I can prove that the gas WILL enter the intake. Don't find out the hard way with nitrous!

hmmmm, maybe propane...

Old 12-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
Oh, as far as getting CO2, any welding supply shop will fill for $9-10.

Old 12-02-2003, 01:22 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
9-10 bucks to fill the 10lbs is a great deal.

not sure if you were talking to me, but i dont use the cry02 kit on my mcs.
its on my wrx.