Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Ignition and spark plugs... sigh!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
hernlui
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition and spark plugs... sigh!

Guys,
Today I installed an MSD coil and a new set of NGK Iridium IX BKR6EIX spark plugs on my 2002 MCS.

I immediately felt a difference. The car feels much smoother. Nevertheless, I feel it does not accelerate like it used to.

Doing some searching and reading some posts that talk about spark plug gaps, people say they come pre-gapped @ .045 and that this is the correct gap.

NOT TRUE! BKR6EIX come pre-gapped @ .032! (I got this from NGK's website)

So which is it?? do I leave them pre-gapped @ .032 or yank them and open'em up?? Keep in mind they are being fired by an MSD coil.

Thx.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are most likely feeling a difference from the new plugs. None of the aftermarket coils are worth using. There are several threads in NAM that state as such. Jan at RMW says the stock coil is good up to 300 HP. Put it back in. Just make sure to clean the tarnished terminals (#3 is a common culprit) with carb spray cleaner and a rag or use a brass brush. Make sure to use dielectric grease to keep moisture off them. And don't bother upgrading the plug wires; you're wasting your $$$ there too. Stick with stock ones.

All multi-prong spark plugs come pregapped from the factory. DO NOT alter any of them, no matter what brand you buy. Each has their own tested preference.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
hernlui
2nd Gear
I think you're missing the point. NKG Iridium IX's are not multi-prong, and yes, they do come pre-calibrated. I need to know if this pre-calibration (.032) is what my MCS needs.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:14 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never ran a set of them.

Plugs should be gapped to your application. I used to run .045 - .050 gap when I had my old-school '85 Monte Carlo SS, even with a modified engine. However, it was naturally aspirated. For boostfed vehicles, such as MINIs, the gap should be smaller. I would go with no more than .035 gap on those plugs.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never trust plugs to be pre-gapped. Many say they are, but you never know how much they've been banged around during shipping causing the gap to change. It is only a 4 minute job to check the gap before you put them in.

I don't think your red coil will make a difference. I'd start with the stock plug gap & go from there.

How many miles on your MINI? You might want to install a new set of plug wires while you are at it.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:49 PM
j-gregs
2nd Gear
According to this thread the gap should be 0.032. I'll check my bentley manual when i get home.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-and-gap.html

Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 PM
hernlui
2nd Gear
j-gregs,
Were you able to check what Mr. Bentley recommends?

Old 07-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Silkworm
3rd Gear
Just did some testing and viola

-miltek full exhaust w/new cat (forgot brand)
-old ultrik cam or something like that forget brand lol
-Alta intake
-15%
-detroit tuned bpv
-NGK's 1 step cooler
-Screamin Demon coil
-Kinsborne wires

I had my plugs gapped at .035 and took em out and gapped em to .065 and picked up some lost timing from idle and felt much much better everything was smoother. Just my experience thus far. Been loosely monitoring timing on my PLX DM-150 ODB II dohickey.

NGK's site states in the FAQ they recomend increase in gap by x amnount for upgraded ignition and decrese of x amount for every 50 hp added over stock.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:49 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Silkworm
-miltek full exhaust w/new cat (forgot brand)
-old ultrik cam or something like that forget brand lol
-Alta intake
-15%
-detroit tuned bpv
-NGK's 1 step cooler
-Screamin Demon coil
-Kinsborne wires

I had my plugs gapped at .035 and took em out and gapped em to .065 and picked up some lost timing from idle and felt much much better everything was smoother. Just my experience thus far. Been loosely monitoring timing on my PLX DM-150 ODB II dohickey.

NGK's site states in the FAQ they recomend increase in gap by x amnount for upgraded ignition and decrese of x amount for every 50 hp added over stock.
Always refreshing to see someone respond to a question with personal results rather then just parroting what has been heard.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Silkworm
3rd Gear
I agree. Im also finding how awsome it is to have access to the actual raw # data. Its not a super accurate way of doing it but its hard to dispute the overal timing change especially at idle even if the butt dyno agrees.

Basicly the way I understand it asuming your ignition can produce the spark consistently you want the biggest gap you can get. Bigger spark better more complete burn. Too big it wont spark at times from what I have read.