Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ALTA's Next Evolution In MINI ECU Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010 | 12:41 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I love how NAM completely dies over the weekend...and then when everybody gets to work, they sit on NAM all day.

Just a little observation that this thread illustrates perfectly...carry on!
So very true. Are we all working hard or hardly working? I think we all know the answer.

Old 08-16-2010 | 12:59 PM
BostonR56S
Banned
Read through all 151 posts and didn't see this asked...

You stated you did a launch at 2k rpm in 3rd gear for the auto...

Are these dyno runs done in 3rd gear?

AFAIK 4th gear's ratio in the mini is closest matched 1:1, thus what should be run on the dyno for accurate power results.

Running the car in 3rd gear does yield higher numbers on the dyno due to the ratio being further off from 1:1.

Old 08-16-2010 | 01:18 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BostonR56S
Read through all 151 posts and didn't see this asked...

AFAIK 4th gear's ratio in the mini is closest matched 1:1, thus what should be run on the dyno for accurate power results.

Running the car in 3rd gear does yield higher numbers on the dyno due to the ratio being further off from 1:1.
You are correct about 4th

But I've done runs in both 3rd and 4th and the results were damn close...

Another thing to consider...I think with an automatic 3rd is closer to 1:1 than 4th

Old 08-16-2010 | 01:19 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
As I seem to be the only person who is posting that helped test the tune out I want to thank you all for not pestering me via PMs or emails in an attempt to find out more info than I am posting. If you want I don't mind elaborating more on the topics I've already discussed.

I'll continue to add in my non-ALTA affiliated comments as they reveal the features of their tuning and the AccessPORT device.

Old 08-16-2010 | 01:44 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Responding to all your guys posts so give me a minute. Here is something to tide you over. This is a Stock MCS with no aftermarket parts compared to our ALTA AccessPORT tuned map.

Old 08-16-2010 | 04:17 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Responding to all your guys posts so give me a minute. Here is something to tide you over. This is a Stock MCS with no aftermarket parts compared to our ALTA AccessPORT tuned map.

very nice gains, but i was also impressed with the STOCK torque. MINI really does underate their stuff.

Old 08-16-2010 | 04:33 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by cop1406
Getting excited. Can't wait to see how this device looks and works. Hope you guys can perfect the pop and burble. Really like it. I hear its going to be on the 2011's, maybe you guys can steal that part of the ecu mapping!
I got to peak at a 2011 engine and ECU. I think as soon as those are out, we will be able to take care of those also!

Originally Posted by BostonJohn
I'd love to see some results for a stock MCS. I imagine SimpsonGI's FMIC is providing providing some added performance over the stock IC so it would be good to see for comparisons sake.
Hope that graph was good for you! SimpsonGI's car had a turbo back also.

Originally Posted by wrx_xb9r
I am really looking forward to dyno charts for the different tunes. Will you have multiple tunes for the different kinds of gas that are across the country.

I loved the AccessPort that I had on the Subie. I expect this newer version to be event better. How long before a StreetTuner version is available?
We have good graphs for a bunch of cars and setups. Initially you will see Stage 1, then 2 and 3 will follow then 91octane stuff after that.

Street Tuner software is not going to happen for a long time. The ECU is very complicated and at this point its not ready for the public to tune. But i can see this happening at some point. Eventually custom tuners will be able to servcie customers looking for that little extra power, or ones with weird setups.

[quote=ThumperMCS;3112000]I love how NAM completely dies over the weekend...and then when everybody gets to work, they sit on NAM all day.

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I noticed too. Without alta pouring more gas on the fire it kinda died (relative to how it was) down. Maybe they'll have their coffee soon and start up the machine =)
I hope that dyno graph kept things going for a while. We have more fuel for tomorrow!

Originally Posted by BostonR56S

So the way our dyno works is that i can run it in any gear as long as the wheel torque doesn't exceed 1800 ft-lbs or so. Then we tell the dyno what the gear ratio is so it can calculate wheel RPM to engine RPM. Then dyno then reads wheel torque (about 900 ft-lbs) then it calculates the actual engine TQ using that devided by the gear ratio number. This is how most dynos work as they use wheel speed to calculate engine speed.

So all that to say 3rd gear vs 4th gear on manual cars pretty much makes the same power. 5th has a little more driveline loss(mainly because of the gears in the tranny spinning faster and creating more heat) so there is some loss in power. On the auto we have to use 3rd and 2000RPM. If we do 4th, its doens't like 2000, it really tries to downshift. In comparison, the manual cars we use 1500RPM and 4th gear.

Old 08-16-2010 | 04:45 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Then we tell the dyno what the gear ratio is so it can calculate wheel RPM to engine RPM. Then dyno then reads wheel torque (about 900 ft-lbs) then it calculates the actual engine TQ using that devided by the gear ratio number. This is how most dynos work as they use wheel speed to calculate engine speed..
why do you have to tell the dyno the ratio? Can't it tell both wheel and engine speed and be able to figure it out itself?

Seems a wire clipped onto a spark plug wire would be sufficient for engine speed.

Old 08-16-2010 | 05:30 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
There is no spark plug pickup. Most dynos dont use this method because of so many cars with coil over plug type setups(R56 is one of those). So the wheel speed and a ratio is what works best. What we do is use our datalogging devices and read the RPM and make it match what the dyno read by changing the ratio.

Old 08-16-2010 | 10:01 PM
steve216
2nd Gear
This is def getting me excited to finally order a fmic and a tune, looks like the best combo. Or would a turbo back be best with the tune? Been waiting for the right moment to finally dive into this.

Old 08-16-2010 | 11:30 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by steve216
This is def getting me excited to finally order a fmic and a tune, looks like the best combo. Or would a turbo back be best with the tune? Been waiting for the right moment to finally dive into this.
If you could only get one hardware item to go with the tune, the intercooler would be the best thing. An open air intake will make lovely sounds.

Old 08-16-2010 | 11:51 PM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Is 250hp/300tq (ballpark) possible in a stage 3 MCSm?

Old 08-17-2010 | 12:00 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by J_'09s
I'm going to go head and be bold and say no way...the stock turbo on a Cooper S doesn't flow enough to get those high numbers

I know RMW has tuned an R56 Cooper S on 100-octane and it put out around 270 ft-lbs to the wheels though...yumm. These cars LOVE running high octane

Old 08-17-2010 | 12:10 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Thanks thumper. Im gonna go ahead and say it bc it needs to be addressed but those stock dyno numbers already look high. Its been said that all alta's dyno charts are of this nature....?

Am i missing something? Sry if that sounds harsh but if im gonna invest more in a tune i need to get some things straight.

Old 08-17-2010 | 01:50 AM
Octane
3rd Gear
IMO if the test dyno reads a little high or a little low is not a big issue to me because I do not plan to buy their dyno.

I do think that it is important that Alta is showing the results of the same Mini on the same dyno and the before tune and after tune gain is what I find important and what I want to buy.

I have contacted other tuners on this site that have claimed their tune would produce 8-10WHP gain on my 2009 factory JCW and from the dynos Alta has posted I would say the bar has just been raised.

Last edited by Octane; 08-17-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-17-2010 | 04:08 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Octane
IMO if the test dyno reads a little high or a little low is not a big issue to me because I do not plan to buy their dyno.

I do think that it is important that Alta is showing the results of the same Mini on the same dyno and the before tune and after tune gain is what I find important and what I want to buy.

I have contacted other tuners on this site that have claimed their tune would produce 8-10WHP gain on my 2009 factory JCW and from the dynos Alta has posted I would say the bar has just been raised.

Very good point... it's regardless what numbers are shown as opposed to the difference. If it reads high on a type x dyno running stock, it'll still read high on type x dyno running their tune.

Great point Octane.

Mark

Old 08-17-2010 | 04:18 AM
GP0256
5th Gear
Just please give us an estimate on a release time frame!

Old 08-17-2010 | 04:34 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
I need a downpipe. Curse you mod affliction!

Old 08-17-2010 | 04:55 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
I blame my mod affliction on Orangecrush!

Old 08-17-2010 | 06:26 AM
MCS9211
2nd Gear
at this point its either alta or rmw and im really hoping this chip is going to deliver! if its as good as advertised i can wait

Old 08-17-2010 | 06:30 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
I just got RMW last night and boy is it bad. Im curious to see the comparison. I am an old UTEC tuner for subies and when the accessport was made available people were seeing the same gains with less work done in the tune.

RMW

Time will tell who the king is

Old 08-17-2010 | 07:47 AM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I'm going to go head and be bold and say no way...the stock turbo on a Cooper S doesn't flow enough to get those high numbers

I know RMW has tuned an R56 Cooper S on 100-octane and it put out around 270 ft-lbs to the wheels though...yumm. These cars LOVE running high octane
I would think ThumperMCS is correct, in order to get those numbers the boost pressure would need to be turned up. I think Jeff said he was able to turn up the boost on the JCW cars to 23 PSI. For the non-JCW cars it is 20 PSI. I think anything beyond those you are pushing the limits of the turbo and you'll start replacing turbos due to failure.

However, I would think 270 ft-lbs to the wheels might be possible. I'm at 247 ft-lbs with my automatic. I'd imagine a manual transmission with my mods and the ALTA tune might be in the 260 - 270 ft-lb range on 92 octane fuel (premium octane rating in Oregon).

Old 08-17-2010 | 07:53 AM
BostonJohn
3rd Gear

Purely for educational comparison, here is the dyno plot RWM posted on 4-22-09 comparing a stock MCS with their tuned version:

Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
this is the dyno of the bone stock R56 S

gains at 6300 are 43ft lbs of torque and 49.8 hp

The Alta torque curve looks a bit higher across the 2500-3500 RPM range. I know RWM has been tweaking and modifying their tune for over a year since this data was posted so if someone knows of a more recent stock MCS dyno out of RWM that would be excellent to see.

Old 08-17-2010 | 07:55 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
However, I would think 270 ft-lbs to the wheels might be possible. I'm at 247 ft-lbs with my automatic. I'd imagine a manual transmission with my mods and the ALTA tune might be in the 260 - 270 ft-lb range on 92 octane fuel (premium octane rating in Oregon).
Sounds exciting! Hopefully i'll actually be able to break the car loose again with these 235s is it possible to have too much grip? haha jk

Old 08-17-2010 | 08:19 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Sounds exciting! Hopefully i'll actually be able to break the car loose again with these 235s is it possible to have too much grip? haha jk

Actually if im not mistaken in my experience w AWD the more grip you have the more drivetrain shock you produce which equals to broken tid bits...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ALTA's Next Evolution In MINI ECU Tuning