Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain NOBS Engineering CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010 | 02:34 PM
joey4420
|
2nd Gear
**** Engineering CAI

So today I finally get around to installing my CAI that I ordered back in June. The instruction were extremely well detailed and as long as you read them through you shouldn't have any issues installing this at all.

I wish I had taken more photos during the install, but thankfully you can download the install PDF right off of their web site and get better info than I can show you.

I did cut the 3.5 inch hole in the firewall and removed the noisemaker while I was there (a 1 inch PVC cap and a moment to remove). After the install I went for a drive with the A/C off and the windows up and you could hear the intake a little when you first accelerate and then nothing until you let off of the gas then you could hear the diverter valve blow off.

Under hard acceleration you could hear the intake and a slight whine or squeal but not bad and then hear the diverter let go between shifts. With the noisemaker off it was actually less noisy then normal under normal driving and sounded very nice.

I am very impressed with the quality of the CAI from **** and for the price who could complain. Check out their web site for current pricing, lets just say it is cheaper than any others that I have found and sounds great.

I will try to get a audio/video recording uploaded as soon as I can.

Old 08-16-2010 | 04:20 PM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Okay maybe it's a little off topic, but anyone else notice that in the installation instructions the installer's ta-ta's are practically hanging out? I mean, I know they are trying to sell the product, but geez....

Old 08-16-2010 | 05:29 PM
pillar
5th Gear
not ta tas... those are reaaalll ****!

I couldn't even find their stuff on google.. anyone else interested
http://www.nobsengineering.com/****%20R56.htm

Old 08-17-2010 | 07:46 PM
screwmesa
Neutral
Originally Posted by MaverickGun
Okay maybe it's a little off topic, but anyone else notice that in the installation instructions the installer's ta-ta's are practically hanging out? I mean, I know they are trying to sell the product, but geez....
Hahaha that is a little crazy. At least put some good ones in there if you're gonna throw em out there.

Old 08-20-2010 | 06:01 AM
joey4420
|
2nd Gear
Okay after almost a week of having this on, I can say that I love the sound of the diverter valve, the whine of the turbo spooling up... sadly I think my fuel economy may suffer a little because I do tend to push it so I Can hear it.

The only sound I don't like and I am sure this is normal is the almost grinding should of the turbo starting to spin up. Keep in mind I am half deaf and this sound could be different than a grinding noise, but that is what it sounds like to me.

So far I give this 2 thumbs up... and both my boys love to hear the diverter as well.

Old 08-20-2010 | 06:19 AM
pillar
5th Gear
hmmm not sure grinding is ever a good sound...

Old 08-20-2010 | 06:24 AM
joey4420
|
2nd Gear
Like I said, half deaf... could just be the mechanical sounds of the turbo.... just sadly to my ears (that ring all day everyday) it sounded like grinding. I would ask my boys, but at 12 and 14 they haven't tuned their ears for cars and it is hard for me to explain to them since I can't hear it anymore :(

Old 08-20-2010 | 06:55 AM
pillar
5th Gear
ha! fair enough... could be the noise maker on the cold side...

Old 08-20-2010 | 07:30 PM
joey4420
|
2nd Gear
I removed the noise maker, but I didn't plug the hole going into the firewall, and the new intake does have a 3.5 inch hole just above the old noise maker hole.

I listened real close today (as best I could) and it almost sounds like raspy air if that makes sense.

Old 08-22-2010 | 12:28 PM
joey4420
|
2nd Gear
Okay, I got the joys of driving through 2+ hours of rain yesterday between Cincinnati and Marietta Ohio. Not only did the CAI work very well it didn't get any water in it either a serous plus... also had my boys both listen close and they tell me the noise I hear is just air...

Old 08-25-2010 | 04:53 PM
ALSCRX
2nd Gear
Can you say this was made before or after the DOS intake???

Its the same exact CONCEPT but DOS places the nose of the filter in the bulkhead hole.

Wonder which intake is better???

Old 08-25-2010 | 08:15 PM
joey4420
|
2nd Gear
Not sure on who made what first... but at half the price I will not complain.

Old 08-27-2010 | 06:50 PM
ALSCRX
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by joey4420
Not sure on who made what first... but at half the price I will not complain.
Yeah for half the price you are getting a box......at least i feel like i got an intake!!

With Dos i can't get over paying $300 for a K&N filter and thats it.

So how do you like the intake?
How does it sound?

Old 08-27-2010 | 09:54 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ALSCRX
Yeah for half the price you are getting a box......at least i feel like i got an intake!!

With Dos i can't get over paying $300 for a K&N filter and thats it. . . .
**** has a fine product for folks shooting within that target product price range. True, they knocked-off portions of our design concept, but cowl induction is not new to anyone and their owner is a pretty friendly guy.

All that being said, you are paying ~=$300 for a system from DoS that is not just a box with a filter inside of it. We use a conical housing coupled with a nacelle cone filter that mates to a velocity stack. The housing, filter design, & velocity stack ensure excellent laminar flow to the MAF, thus accurate readings. The housing itself is made from an temp resistant polymer resin (instead of powdercoated metal) to shed heat well in an area of the engine bay that's hot (thanks to an oil circulation pump near that location).

We machine a hole in the conical housing in-house that fits perfectly onto our front air inlet port elbow that we also miter in-house before it is bonded to the housing and allowed to cure.

We are a K&N dealer and do use some of their parts for this CAI system but you can't get this off the shelf from K&N.

Just wanted to state our case. ALSCRX, thanks for your PM's. Happy hunting in your CAI search.

-Clint

Old 08-28-2010 | 07:45 AM
ALSCRX
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
**** has a fine product for folks shooting within that target product price range. True, they knocked-off portions of our design concept, but cowl induction is not new to anyone and their owner is a pretty friendly guy.

All that being said, you are paying ~=$300 for a system from DoS that is not just a box with a filter inside of it. We use a conical housing coupled with a nacelle cone filter that mates to a velocity stack. The housing, filter design, & velocity stack ensure excellent laminar flow to the MAF, thus accurate readings. The housing itself is made from an temp resistant polymer resin (instead of powdercoated metal) to shed heat well in an area of the engine bay that's hot (thanks to an oil circulation pump near that location).

We machine a hole in the conical housing in-house that fits perfectly onto our front air inlet port elbow that we also miter in-house before it is bonded to the housing and allowed to cure.

We are a K&N dealer and do use some of their parts for this CAI system but you can't get this off the shelf from K&N.

Just wanted to state our case. ALSCRX, thanks for your PM's. Happy hunting in your CAI search.

-Clint
Now thats a detailed response i was looking for on the DOS intake.
I noticed you use the K&N apollo housing but like you said you mod it to fit the fresh air hose.

I heard nothing but good reports from DOS users which makes you say its worth every penny!

Old 08-28-2010 | 08:40 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALSCRX
Now thats a detailed response i was looking for on the DOS intake.
I noticed you use the K&N apollo housing but like you said you mod it to fit the fresh air hose.

I heard nothing but good reports from DOS users which makes you say its worth every penny!
AMEN TO THAT!!