Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012 | 07:18 AM
lowsid3r
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
The 303e code is something that comes up after the AccessPORT flashes the car, but it won't cause any problems. If you uninstall the AccessPORT and do an update using the AP Manager, it should make the code not come up when you do a reflash.

You can find the AP Manager here for Windows.

Or for Mac here.
Ok I was going to call and ask that today. I took it in and saw there was an update. So if I uninstall and reflash it should be gone? Cool. Thanks Chris.

Old 07-12-2012 | 08:08 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Yep, the current AP update should turn off that code.

Old 07-14-2012 | 07:57 AM
tank565
1st Gear
Just got mine in the mail... Can I say, what a difference! Definitely need some new tires. Just running stage 1 92+. Car is a whole other animal! Absolutely fantastic.

Old 07-14-2012 | 08:26 AM
TheFunnyguy
1st Gear
I received mine yesterday and love it. I do have a question though, I ran the update feature through the AP manager, but the only maps I see are for 91+ Stage 1. How do I get the maps for the 92+ Stage 1 that I see people referring to?

Old 07-14-2012 | 04:51 PM
mcmmotorsports
3rd Gear
Maybe someone can shed some light on something for me. I have the Riss Racing Catless DP, a Helix FMIC and the stock JCW exhaust from the DP back. I was told I could safely run the stage 2 tune but would need to upgrade to a full 2.5" exhaust to venture off into the relm of the stage 2 tune. My question is this, what is it in the 1/4 difference in exhaust diameter that justifies the ability to run the stage 3 tune? Is it too much back pressure that could create increased cylinder head pressures? Something else? Just curious.

Old 07-15-2012 | 08:09 AM
Miykl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mcmmotorsports
Maybe someone can shed some light on something for me. I have the Riss Racing Catless DP, a Helix FMIC and the stock JCW exhaust from the DP back. I was told I could safely run the stage 2 tune but would need to upgrade to a full 2.5" exhaust to venture off into the relm of the stage 2 tune. My question is this, what is it in the 1/4 difference in exhaust diameter that justifies the ability to run the stage 3 tune? Is it too much back pressure that could create increased cylinder head pressures? Something else? Just curious.
We have twin setups except I'm running stage 3. It's just a risk you take. They didn't design the map for a 2.25 exhuast so they won't say it's safe. I don't beat on my car and love the extra torque when passing that stage 3 gives so I roll the dice. Although I am considerring a 2.5 custom mandrell bent set up with a motorcycle type carbon fiber straight through muffler w/ a single big tip.

Old 07-16-2012 | 11:56 AM
mcmmotorsports
3rd Gear
How long have you been running it that way?

Old 07-16-2012 | 12:57 PM
Miykl
1st Gear
How long have you been running it that way?
2 weeks on Stage 3 since I installed my fmic. I ran stage three in the cooler weather w/o the fmic, but with the texas heat having rolled in, I went down to stage 2 for the last couple of months. In any case not long enough for anyone to base if it's safe or not. Plus, no two cars are exactly alike and no two drivers will be either. I commute 80 miles a day. Most of the time the worst my car sees is 3-5k rpm in 5th or 6th for passing. Every once in a while I'll get a wild hair and run it up to 6k+ through a few gears...but not often. Like I said...I roll my dice and accept the consequencies.

Oh...and I lost 2 mpg on stage 3 vs stage 2. Might just be my foot though.

Old 07-16-2012 | 01:45 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by TheFunnyguy
I received mine yesterday and love it. I do have a question though, I ran the update feature through the AP manager, but the only maps I see are for 91+ Stage 1. How do I get the maps for the 92+ Stage 1 that I see people referring to?
It sounds like you are looking at the AP Manager to see the maps. If you do an update when the AP is uninstalled from your car, the next time you plug the AP to your car, it will show all of the available maps. If you don't see them, let us know.

I think I talked to you this morning over the phone, but just in case, you will have to run the stage 1 FMIC map with that setup. If you run a stage 2 or stage 3 map, it could cause the car to not run the boost that it's trying to hit, which could give you CELs, and work the turbo harder then it would have to.

Old 07-16-2012 | 02:04 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Been tuneless for almost 2 weeks now. While updating to the beta maps, my AP freezes on the "Updating" screen. Unplugging, then replugging back into my MAC does nothing to resolve this, and plugging the AP into the R56 does nothing as well. Sent my unit to AP last week and finally received it today.

Tried updating to the beta maps once more and AGAIN, "Updating" screen freezes. Needless to say, my AP is wack and now I have to send it back to Cobb in Texas for 2nd time. Cobb said they'll replace the AP's board this time and try to update to the Beta Maps for me.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else during the update process, because it's burned me twice now...

Old 07-17-2012 | 02:19 AM
an2
2nd Gear
Chris - is it possible that you can update the changelog when you update the maps? The beta version always comes up blank. It'd be nice to know how "essential" an updated map is.

Even if you just throw a note up on the forums.

Old 07-17-2012 | 01:32 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
I installed the AP on JCW yesterday....wow! I'm currently running Stage 1 FMIC, 92 octane and trying to decide which throttle map I like the best. This has really transformed the JCW.
Here are the changes I feel with the Stage 1:

1) Better throttle response.

2) Nice fat torque curve, right where it should be, 2500-5000 rpm.

3) Car pulls hard right through the middle of the tach, and by 4000 rpm, is breaking the tires loose in both 1st and 2nd gear

4) My highway mileage seems to be about the same.

5) Idle, temp., engine tractability behaves like stock.

Can't wait to try Stage 2, I'll need stickier tires for that...way to go Alta

P.S. I wanted to add one last thing. I had a few questions before I purchased, and Alta has been great about answering all my inquiries in a very timely manner. They answered my questions directly and professionally. They have been great to deal with.

-Steven

Last edited by BlueToy; 07-17-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2012 | 02:01 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
That's awesome to hear Bluetoy! My AP should be here any day now. I've been waiting to order one of these ever since I bought my JCW Coupe last December and I finally bit the bullet late last week. Reading posts like yours have me chomping at the bit for this thing! Exactly what I want to hear!

Old 07-17-2012 | 02:28 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
The beta updates are always changing, normally to add new ECUs to the database. Usually they are for individual people too, so there's not really any need to update with the beta update unless we tell you to. We don't spend time to write out a description because it's for an individual person, and we're changing them all the time.

Originally Posted by an2
Chris - is it possible that you can update the changelog when you update the maps? The beta version always comes up blank. It'd be nice to know how "essential" an updated map is.

Even if you just throw a note up on the forums.

Old 07-17-2012 | 04:25 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
That's awesome to hear Bluetoy! My AP should be here any day now. I've been waiting to order one of these ever since I bought my JCW Coupe last December and I finally bit the bullet late last week. Reading posts like yours have me chomping at the bit for this thing! Exactly what I want to hear!
You're going to love it. It's got me thinking DP, 3'' exhaust, stage 2 tune now

-Steven

Old 07-17-2012 | 10:35 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Haha, great minds think alike. I've been dying to add a different DP to my Coupe but figured I'd hold off till I could afford an AP to get the most out of it (plus I didn't want to deal with codes popping up with no way to kill them). I might hit you up via PM for some opinions concerning throttle maps, etc.

Old 07-18-2012 | 07:00 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
I wanted to give a shout out about the excellent service I have been getting from Alta. I had a up and down idle running one of the Stage 1 maps on my JCW. I sent Jeff an email and within hours he sends me a new map that fixed the problem Very impressed Keep up the great work Alta!

-Steven

Old 07-20-2012 | 12:27 AM
an2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
The beta updates are always changing, normally to add new ECUs to the database. Usually they are for individual people too, so there's not really any need to update with the beta update unless we tell you to. We don't spend time to write out a description because it's for an individual person, and we're changing them all the time.
Ah excellent, thanks for that.

(So when do we get our pop and burble update )

Old 07-21-2012 | 06:59 AM
Miykl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by an2
Makes me wonder when I see these posts...I have tons of pop and burble. Maybe b/c I have no cats muting them.

Old 07-21-2012 | 10:01 AM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Miykl
Makes me wonder when I see these posts...I have tons of pop and burble. Maybe b/c I have no cats muting them.
I wonder the same thing too. I have it like crazy.

Old 07-21-2012 | 05:46 PM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by an2
Ah excellent, thanks for that.

no love for the 07's...

Old 07-29-2012 | 03:07 PM
jcdeng
1st Gear
noob question cuz I haven't been keeping up with the forums as much as I used to, does the AP work with 2012s now?

Old 07-29-2012 | 05:43 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jcdeng
noob question cuz I haven't been keeping up with the forums as much as I used to, does the AP work with 2012s now?
No.

Old 07-30-2012 | 09:44 AM
adcam
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jcdeng
If it is a 2012 JCW, it should work.

Old 07-30-2012 | 11:59 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Best bang for buck mod I've done so far and with the ability to continue to upgrade toward future mods the AP is a no brainer. My Coupe is roaring now!

As for the AP working with 2012 models the answer is YES, but only if it's a JCW with the N14 engine and was built prior to the date of this post. If it's a Cooper model or "S" model 2012 model year with the N18 engine then NO.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread