Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012 | 10:40 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Looks like I better fast track my stage 2/3 mods just in case I need tweaks. . I have to say I'm definitely glad I got an AP. it's made a huge difference in the car and has allowed me to get the full potential out of the mods I have/will have. The CS has been top notch as well.

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 11-27-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2012 | 06:44 AM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Carey P

With just the intercooler, you can use the Stage 1 FMIC map but not Stage 2 without adding the full 3" catback exhaust.

I have a feeling I'll need to add an OCC once I get the AP to prevent worsening carbon build up. It's bad enough with the JCW mod as it is.
Yes that is correct. I mistyped. Thanks for clarifying!

Old 11-28-2012 | 06:51 AM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
Looks like I better fast track my stage 2/3 mods just in case I need tweaks. . I have to say I'm definitely glad I got an AP. it's made a huge difference in the car and has allowed me to get the full potential out of the mods I have/will have. The CS has been top notch as well.
The AP is already preloaded with the maps for any stage 2/3 mods, correct? Explain why any mods need to be fast tracked? I'm new to the whole AP thing. Just bought and installed mine 3 weeks ago.

Old 11-28-2012 | 07:05 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
All the preloaded maps on my AP have induced a pretty bad idle fluctuation upon installation. Alta has sent me updated maps as I've progressed through the mods/stages to clear that flux up meaning I want to make sure I get those updated maps before its to late. Alta has many more maps than are pre-loaded there are just to many to include on the AP. I was kinda joking in a sense. I'm not in a huge hurry.

Old 11-28-2012 | 07:13 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
All the preloaded maps on my AP have induced a pretty bad idle fluctuation upon installation. Alta has sent me updated maps as I've progressed through the mods/stages to clear that flux up meaning I want to make sure I get those updated maps before its to late. Alta has many more maps than are pre-loaded there are just to many to include on the AP. I was kinda joking in a sense. I'm not in a huge hurry.
Mine has a bit of flutter too. Stock, the needle barely moves. With the Stg1 tune loaded it will fluctuate like 1/16th of an inch constantly.

Old 11-28-2012 | 08:28 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Shoot Alta an email and they'll send you an updated map that'll cure that.

Old 11-28-2012 | 11:29 AM
ScorpionSkins.com
2nd Gear
I purchased my used Accessport a few days ago but unfortunately still haven't had the chance to experience it.

I'm receiving a "New Vehicle Rom" error. Chris from Alta has been helpful so far, I'm hoping for some good news regarding a functional BETA update for my vehicle soon.

Aside from that, I'm assuming Alta still monitors this thread on the regular:
Any chance of a finalized P&B tune eventually being released for these vehicles?

It may only be an afterthought in comparison to the performance gains this unit offers, but it would be a fantastic one to have.

Old 11-28-2012 | 11:44 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Hey guys, sorry I've been away for a little while. For idle issues, email me at maps@altaperformance.com, and we for sure will be happy to help you out.

About P&B tunes, it's not coming, sorry. That wasn't something that we were able to figure out.

Old 11-29-2012 | 08:49 AM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Finally flashed it yesterday. The idle is a bit roughed out but nothing concerning nor terrible. Just not as steady as before the flash, which is to be expected. The performance increase is nothing to sneeze at. In second gear the car was pulling harder than I expected. I need more seat time in the car to give you guys more feedback but very nice so far.

In the Stage 3 FMIC/92Oct Map it said something like "FMIC and Exhaust, no other aftermarket parts"... does that mean I need a different map for all the other goodies on the car? I couldn't find one that didn't say that.

93 Octane, Front Mount Intercooler, Pulley, Intake, Torque Arm Insert, Hot Side Pipe, Turbo Inlet Pipe, BOV, Catless DP, Exhaust

Old 11-29-2012 | 08:58 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Mini//M, you're OK with those mods on your car, sorry for the confusion. Most intakes are OK, hot side boost tube, inlet hose, and most BOVs work fine with our tunes.

Old 11-29-2012 | 11:24 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Can we get clarification on whether Alta/Cobb will stop supporting ROM/software updates on July 2013 or Dec. 2013. Both dates have been stated by two different Alta accounts. Thanks guys.

Old 11-29-2012 | 11:31 AM
myR56S
3rd Gear
ALTA Chris,

In order to run a Stage 2 map, would a 2.5" cat-back exhaust work?

This exhaust has second cat delete, no resonator and a straight through muffler.

I have all the right mods in place but my exhaust seems to be the only hold up.

Old 11-29-2012 | 11:35 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Can we get clarification on whether Alta/Cobb will stop supporting ROM/software updates on July 2013 or Dec. 2013. Both dates have been stated by two different Alta accounts. Thanks guys.
All support will end in July 2013. Did you see December in this thread? I couldn't see that mentioned anywhere.

Originally Posted by myR56S
ALTA Chris,

In order to run a Stage 2 map, would a 2.5" cat-back exhaust work?

This exhaust has second cat delete, no resonator and a straight through muffler.

I have all the right mods in place but my exhaust seems to be the only hold up.
To run a stage 2 map, you need to have a 3" turbo back exhaust.

Old 11-29-2012 | 11:39 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Another good question!
Cobb is going to give us/you support on new ROM's (new ECU updates) until December 2013. Keep in mind that this is very rare to see new ECU updates anymore. In the last 6 months, there have only been 2 new ECU's added. One was really old and one was new. If your car is out of warranty, I wouldn't pay the dealer to update the ECU anyway.

The whole idea is to not leave our customers hanging out to dry which is why we are going to continue our mapping support for 6 months and keep the 1 year warranty in tact.
The original post states July. The above later post states Dec.

Old 11-29-2012 | 11:42 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Sorry about that, it's really July 2013.

Old 11-29-2012 | 11:49 AM
myR56S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris

To run a stage 2 map, you need to have a 3" turbo back exhaust.
Thank you Chris, I was inquiring to clear up some confusion created by a post several pages back.

Any suggestion on a 3" TB since ALTA no longer offers one?

Old 11-29-2012 | 11:51 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Sorry about that, it's really July 2013.
No worries man. Just double checking. Thanks

Old 11-29-2012 | 12:39 PM
Carey P
3rd Gear
Tim Tim, a stage 2 map is only for a car that is running a 2.5" turbo back exhaust with no cats, or a 3" system with high flow cats.

A stage 3 map is for a car that is running a 2.5" turbo back exhaust with no cats, or a 3" system with high flow cats and an aftermarket FMIC.

Running a stage 2 or stage 3 map with the stock exhaust is going to make the turbo work harder than it should be, and possibly give CELs.

The results we post up where what we have gotten with our ALTA parts on our dyno. The numbers are going to vary with different octane, elevation, air temp, dyno, and parts installed. Even the way fans are set up can make a big difference.
This is what he said back on page 98 on my machine.

Old 11-29-2012 | 01:16 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Carey, you caught me 40 pages ago! We're back to recommending just a 3" turbo back now to run a stage 2 map.

Old 11-29-2012 | 01:53 PM
jtack
4th Gear
Carey, you caught me 40 pages ago! We're back to recommending just a 3" turbo back now to run a stage 2 map.
So, no catless 2.5" downpipe + catless 2.5" exhaust system. What problems will I encounter with a 2.5" catless turbo back and AP Stage 2? If there are problems with that set up I guess I will sell my AP and go get a custom tune as I don't plan on selling and purchasing another exhaust system.

Old 11-29-2012 | 02:03 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
If anything, it might give you problems with controlling boost. If you were to get a custom tune, you can actually use the AccessPORT for that, if you live close to a shop that does custom dyno tunes for the AP.

Old 11-29-2012 | 02:19 PM
jtack
4th Gear
Thanks for the info. What exactly do you mean by "controlling boost". I live within driving distance of COBB in Orange County. However that option doesn't really seem all that good monetarily as I already purchased the AP and then will have to pay them another $500 for custom dyno tune including the dyno time. This will put me at $1200 total for ecu tuning. I think it would be more wise to sell my AP for $600 or so which will cover a Jan tune including the dyno time. Now that my warranty is out I don't have the need to swap out tunes before going in for service, etc. so that is no longer a concern of mine. The only thing will be if Jan is able to disable the CEL from the catless dp without the use of the AP.

Old 11-29-2012 | 02:51 PM
ALTAPerformance
|
Former Vendor
Repost to keep everyone updated.

AccessPORT update November, 27th 2012

We wanted to take a moment to let the NAM community know that...

It is with a heavy heart that we must tell everyone that the AccessPORT is dead. We have been informed that the AccessPORT for the R56 will no longer be produced by COBB Tuning and as such the remaining inventory we have on our shelves will be the last available for purchase. If you are interested in one for your car, please order one right away! This is not an attempt to temporarily boost sales, and we do not expect current supply to last through the end of the year.

Many of you will ask "Why?" and thankfully the answer is pretty simple:

1) COBB Tuning (the manufacturer of the AccessPORT) has made a change to the AccessPORT hardware which will not support the MINI Programming and ECU.
2) Sales of the MINI AccessPORT have not met a level to justify COBB Tuning making a MINI AccessPORT with the new hardware.

I buy a unit now, what will the support be?

1) COBB / ALTA will continue the One Year Warranty from the date of original purchase.
2) COBB will support software compatibility through July 1st, 2013
3) ALTA will support mapping concerns through July 1st, 2013

CLICK HERE for a direct link to the AccessPORT on our website.

We thank all of you for your business!
More cool products from ALTA Performance are on the way!

Old 11-29-2012 | 03:39 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
I mean it could cause the car to cut boost because it won't be seeing the boost that it is expecting since the tune was made on a car with a 3" exhaust, sorry I wasn't clear before.

Originally Posted by jtack
Thanks for the info. What exactly do you mean by "controlling boost". I live within driving distance of COBB in Orange County. However that option doesn't really seem all that good monetarily as I already purchased the AP and then will have to pay them another $500 for custom dyno tune including the dyno time. This will put me at $1200 total for ecu tuning. I think it would be more wise to sell my AP for $600 or so which will cover a Jan tune including the dyno time. Now that my warranty is out I don't have the need to swap out tunes before going in for service, etc. so that is no longer a concern of mine. The only thing will be if Jan is able to disable the CEL from the catless dp without the use of the AP.

Old 11-29-2012 | 04:00 PM
jtack
4th Gear
Thank you for the clarification.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread