Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012 | 04:10 PM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Ever since I installed the AP, I get a hissing sound from my turbo (assumption here) whenever psi goes over zero on the boost gauge. When I shift and psi drops below zero then it stops.

Is this normal? I did not have this sound before the AP install. I find it annoying. It takes away from the throaty exhaust sounds at acceleration.

Update:

I uninstalled the Stage 1 map and went to the stock map. Still get the same hiss. No matter what map I use, I am getting the hissing sound from the turbo. I am also getting a strange smell from the exhaust that I wasn't getting before. I am not getting an error codes, etc. Car runs great and runs strong. Love the AP. Just want to make sure that I'm not hurting something. Should a turbo hiss like that? Is that indicative of anything? Thanks!

Last edited by fastrack1; 11-29-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2012 | 05:05 AM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fastrack1
Ever since I installed the AP, I get a hissing sound from my turbo (assumption here) whenever psi goes over zero on the boost gauge. When I shift and psi drops below zero then it stops.

Is this normal? I did not have this sound before the AP install. I find it annoying. It takes away from the throaty exhaust sounds at acceleration.

Update:

I uninstalled the Stage 1 map and went to the stock map. Still get the same hiss. No matter what map I use, I am getting the hissing sound from the turbo. I am also getting a strange smell from the exhaust that I wasn't getting before. I am not getting an error codes, etc. Car runs great and runs strong. Love the AP. Just want to make sure that I'm not hurting something. Should a turbo hiss like that? Is that indicative of anything? Thanks!
If there is an air leak that I can't find on the turbo and I take this thing to the dealership, is there any reason to uninstall the AP and the tune? I am out of warranty.

Old 11-30-2012 | 08:26 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
I would just because it only takes minute and you never know what the stealership might mess up.

Old 11-30-2012 | 08:31 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
It could be a leak somehwere in the intake system. I recommend getting a boost leak test up to 18 PSI to check the intake system. Also check the diverter valve, those are known to devolop leaks overtime.

If you do take the car to the dealer, you will want to uninstall the AP before taking it in.

Old 12-01-2012 | 08:09 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
I updated my AP to the latest BETA firmware. Does that effect that actual maps themselves?

Also, how do I know I have the latest maps? Is there a website where I can download the latest versions?

Old 12-03-2012 | 08:39 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Recent updates have been adding new ECUs to the map database. We haven't made a change to the maps in a long time now.

To make sure you have the most current map, you will want to uninstall the AccessPORT, and reflash it on the ECU. When you do the update with the AP Manager, you will have the most current maps. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2012 | 10:20 AM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
It could be a leak somehwere in the intake system. I recommend getting a boost leak test up to 18 PSI to check the intake system. Also check the diverter valve, those are known to devolop leaks overtime.

If you do take the car to the dealer, you will want to uninstall the AP before taking it in.
Here is what I was told by the vendor I purchased the AP from. Does it sound right? I don't want to waste a trip to a dealership for nothing:

What you are hearing is the Turbo spooling that is DEFINITELY louder once the AccessPort is installed and is even more pronounced if you have a Hi Flow intake like the Alta, NM or even the stock JCW intake. You get used to it after awhile.....adding the hi flow charge pipes can lessen the hiss somewhat by improving the amount of charge / pressure that can flow thru the system without the BOV venting as the pressure increases.

As for the exhaust smell....you are now getting a much leaner mixture throughout the powerband and I'm guessing you are smelling excess carbon burning off....it's also the time of year when the crankcase vapors condensate ALOT more (which a catch can collects), but your engine is dumping that nasty mixture right back into the intake and burning it off. In the last month alone I have emptied 2 full catch cans full of nasty smelling condensation from my catch can alone. In the previous 10 months, not 1 drop of gunk in the catch can....it all starts as the temp drops below 40 degrees.
If you want the stock ECU / Turbo behavior, then you not only have to uninstall the Stage 1 map, but you must do an ECU reset with the AccessPort after the uninstall. The Bosch ECU is a very smart little computer that learns or adapts to new maps and driving styles....that's why you hear BMW / MINI techs say they erased the ECU adaptations when loading new software....so if you left the stock map back on for a month / 1000 miles the Turbo would spool less aggressively as it adapted back to richer fuel mixtures, less boost and less horsepower.

If you had a turbo leak you would get not only a CEL but a crappy running car as the leak got bigger, either from a torn diaphragm in the stock BOV or a hole in the intercooler / charge pipes.

If your car has 50k plus miles, I would definitely suggest new charge pipes. Check your intake system for loose hose clamps or any other way (cracked inlet pipe) excess air could be sucked into the air intake system.

Old 12-04-2012 | 08:44 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
It's true that with our tune, the intake will be louder, since our map runs more boost than stock.

The exhaust might be smelling different with the new tune, but not because it's running leaner, it's actually running richer! The factory tune runs dangerously lean when boost kicks in, then adds fuel later. We have a write up of this here: http://blog.perrinperformance.com/91...r-mini-is-bad/

It could have something to do with oil going into the exhaust too, especially if you live in a colder climate and park the car outside.

Uninstalling the AccessPORT will reset the ECU, so there will be no need for that. I don't recommend resetting the ECU unless you have to. There are learned perameters built into the ECU that are actually good! AFR targets don't change with learning of the ECU, neither does boost.

Another way to tell if there is a leak is to check your boost. The stage 1 tune should peak around 18 psi or so at full throttle starting at 2,000 RPMs. If it's significantly lower than that, there could be a leak.

Old 12-04-2012 | 09:20 AM
ALTAPerformance
|
Former Vendor
AccessPORT Update - December 04 2012

The AccessPORT is now sold out and no longer available from ALTA Performance.

We know of two dealers that have them in stock in limited quantities.

JSC Speed in PA

MINI Dynamics in VA

Other dealers may have them but we do not know their inventory situation.

Old 12-04-2012 | 09:27 AM
akent
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance

JSC Speed in PA

MINI Dynamics in VA

Why is this??
Story please??

Old 12-04-2012 | 09:30 AM
ScorpionSkins.com
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by akent
Why is this??
Story please??
Look for one of the posts from Alta Chris about a page back in this thread. Long story short, Cobb is ceasing development of the Accessport for the Mini with their next hardware model.

Sales for the Mini accessport didn't meant expectations. Cobb will continue to assist current owners up until July of 2013.

Old 12-04-2012 | 09:40 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Old 12-04-2012 | 10:08 AM
yetti96
6th Gear

JSC Speed in PA

MINI Dynamics in VA

Such a bummer.

Can we all call and email Cobb and complain?

Old 12-04-2012 | 10:15 AM
ALTAPerformance
|
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by yetti96
Such a bummer.

Can we all call and email cobb and complain?
yes

Old 12-04-2012 | 10:15 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
ALTA, is it the hardware ie. obd port they are changing or is it software related, or both?

COBB, I've put a lot of money into my MINI to enjoy every bit of it I could. The AP has brought me joy. If I just wanted a "car" I wouldn't have put so much blood sweat and tears, and dollars into this. Clearly for me, it's not about the money so why does it have to be for you??? Please COBB if not for us.....do it for the children! Lol

It'll be interesting to see what kind if price they bring coming through the NAM (etc.) marketplace.

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 12-04-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-04-2012 | 11:41 AM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Another way to tell if there is a leak is to check your boost. The stage 1 tune should peak around 18 psi or so at full throttle starting at 2,000 RPMs. If it's significantly lower than that, there could be a leak.
I checked my psi and it hits right at 18 psi, so I think I'm good. Must just be the turbo spooling. Thanks for all the help and for given me something tangible to check!

Old 12-04-2012 | 05:23 PM
ScorpionSkins.com
2nd Gear
Just a quick question for Chris and others who have the Accessport installed...

I've had the unit active on my vehicle for just less then a week now and I am enjoying it tremendously.

My inquiry is in regards to the Stage 1 Stock Throttle (91 grade) map and Sports mode.

I've noticed when I engage the Sports button and gently work with the throttle (such as in city light traffic) I get a significant amount of jerkiness within the 2k-3k range of second and third gear. (As if the car would like to give me the power I'm looking for, but is stuttering to do so. Also keep in mind that the clutch is fully engaged at this point)

If I engage Sports mode and give the vehicle a spirited drive, the revs will appropriately (and smoothly) push upwards in those gears as expected.

My question regarding the jerkiness is whether it's a matter of my driving style, an indication of potential vehicle issues, or an element of the way the map was designed to function in Sports mode.

I'd appreciate your opinions. Thank you.

Old 12-04-2012 | 05:41 PM
myR56S
3rd Gear
I too have the very same concern. Just noticed it the other day while driving through my neighborhood. But for me it happens in economy mode and in sport mode.

Not sure the cause either.

Oh and ALTA no longer distributes the AP so they may have limited response here now :'(

Old 12-04-2012 | 05:51 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
yes
Seriously John, is there any chance of saving this product? This is THE BEST bang for the buck mod I've done...complete transformation of my JCW. Will Cobb entertain our petitions to continue producing the AP? Thanks.

-Steven

Old 12-04-2012 | 07:34 PM
borderwave2
4th Gear
If the accesport for mini were priced around the same as the accesport for other brands, subaru etc. They would sell a lot more I imagine.

Not trying to knock the product, just kind of sucks when you consider that other brands have affordable, or even open source tuning solutions for their cars.

Old 12-04-2012 | 08:20 PM
asuj_158
1st Gear
Just got mine in the mail today, glad i got it before they ran out. but shitty the support i will have is limited. I better get to work

Old 12-05-2012 | 08:48 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ScorpionSkins.com
Just a quick question for Chris and others who have the Accessport installed...

I've had the unit active on my vehicle for just less then a week now and I am enjoying it tremendously.

My inquiry is in regards to the Stage 1 Stock Throttle (91 grade) map and Sports mode.

I've noticed when I engage the Sports button and gently work with the throttle (such as in city light traffic) I get a significant amount of jerkiness within the 2k-3k range of second and third gear. (As if the car would like to give me the power I'm looking for, but is stuttering to do so. Also keep in mind that the clutch is fully engaged at this point)

If I engage Sports mode and give the vehicle a spirited drive, the revs will appropriately (and smoothly) push upwards in those gears as expected.

My question regarding the jerkiness is whether it's a matter of my driving style, an indication of potential vehicle issues, or an element of the way the map was designed to function in Sports mode.

I'd appreciate your opinions. Thank you.
I recommend trying the TPS map. This will help with the jerkyness you're feeling. With the normal throttle tune, in the city at part throttle, it can be pretty twitchy with the extra power from the ALTA map.

For everyone else, remember we will continue to support the AccessPORT through July 1st 2013, and will continue to reply in this thread with questions.

Old 12-05-2012 | 08:51 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by borderwave2
If the accesport for mini were priced around the same as the accesport for other brands, subaru etc. They would sell a lot more I imagine.

Not trying to knock the product, just kind of sucks when you consider that other brands have affordable, or even open source tuning solutions for their cars.
Good point. My nephew has the AP for his STI and its full of features I'd love to see for my MINI. It also cost him about half the price. I understand supply and demand but I believe sometimes the supply side is more BS than anything. If the AP cost 1/3 less Cobb might see that it'd be worth it to continue the development. I know many people would like to buy one but for the price tag.

Old 12-05-2012 | 09:35 AM
fastrack1
2nd Gear

I recommend trying the TPS map. This will help with the jerkyness you're feeling. With the normal throttle tune, in the city at part throttle, it can be pretty twitchy with the extra power from the ALTA map.

For everyone else, remember we will continue to support the AccessPORT through July 1st 2013, and will continue to reply in this thread with questions.
I changed to the TPS map and it took care of that.

Old 12-05-2012 | 04:42 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
What happens after july 1st? The AP for MINI will no longer be exclusive?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread