Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012 | 10:59 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Maps are not made for specific APs, but they are made for specific ECU versions and transmissions. So for example, even if two 2009 MCS manuals have the AP, that doesn't mean they have the same ECU update. But exchanging custom maps won't be recommended, since they are made for specific cars only.
Chris,

So even if we divide maps up by ECU it still may not work due to the Specific ECU Update? Dont mean to beat a dead horse just trying to understand. My ECU is H109B Would my maps work for all H109B ecu's with similar mods?

Old 12-31-2012 | 11:00 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
And happy new year!!! we appreciate you jumping on during your holiday!!!

Old 12-31-2012 | 11:30 AM
Zyzio
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Sacred Disorder
Chris,

Are maps locked to specific AP's? Since support will be ceasing soon it might be good for us to get a thread going to share maps that are already out there.
+1
great idea
i got my AP from IzzyG.
i did update.so i got all the latest maps, install it and my mini got big lags on acceleration and shifting issues,i contacted Alta week ago still waiting , i know it's worse time possible now (christmas & new year) but we gonna get support till June only anyway .
so the sharing maps with list of mods it's great idea.
i would like to have fuel economy map too.

Old 12-31-2012 | 05:41 PM
DasCooper
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Zyzio
+1
great idea
so the sharing maps with list of mods it's great idea.
i would like to have fuel economy map too.
+2 I agree. After support goes away in July, I wonder if we can get Alta/Cobb to release the maps that they currently own--with the understanding there is no support, liability etc--so they can be hosted along with other users maps somewhere on the forum (or elsewhere)? Even though they've EOLed the product that would be a nice show of good faith to consumers who made the purchase and assumed there would be future support...

Old 01-02-2013 | 04:18 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Hi everyone, there has been some confusion on how exactly ALTA is going to support the AccessPORT, so I’m going to answer some common questions that I’ve gotten over the last few weeks to make it clear.

1. If I have idle/shifting/boost issues after July 2013 will I be able to get a map to fix this?

A. Problems with our maps will be rare, but yes. For customers that purchased the AccessPORT brand new, we will supply these maps for free. We still support that the AccessPORT does what we say it does (making HP, running properly…..)

B. If a customer purchased their AccessPORT used, we will still be able to supply a map to help, but will charge a fee after July 2013. Right now we aren’t asking if the customer purchased the AccessPORT new or not, but we will after July 2013.

2. Will COBB still be able to add updated ECUs to the database?

a. COBB will be able to add these until December 2013.

3. What happens if I forget to uninstall the AccessPORT when I take it to the dealer, and the dealer overwrites the ALTA map?

a. COBB can re-license the AccessPORT for a $50 fee as long as you have a copy of original dealer receipt showing that the ECU was updated.

b. This can happen anytime for as long as COBB makes an AccessPORT.

4. Will ALTA be able to make custom maps for different boost, throttle, etc in sport mode compared to normal mode?

a. We will still be able to make maps with different settings for a fee. Also keep in mind that shops setup to do custom tuning can also make these maps as well.

b. This is something that we can do as long as Microsoft still supports Windows 7.

5. Will ALTA maps still be available on COBBs servers after July 2013?

a. Yes, the ALTA maps will be available indefinitely, so customers will always be able to get the latest maps and ECU updates by using the AP Manager program.

Old 01-02-2013 | 06:02 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Hi everyone, there has been some confusion on how exactly ALTA is going to support the AccessPORT, so I’m going to answer some common questions that I’ve gotten over the last few weeks to make it clear.

1. If I have idle/shifting/boost issues after July 2013 will I be able to get a map to fix this?

A. Problems with our maps will be rare, but yes. For customers that purchased the AccessPORT brand new, we will supply these maps for free. We still support that the AccessPORT does what we say it does (making HP, running properly…..)

B. If a customer purchased their AccessPORT used, we will still be able to supply a map to help, but will charge a fee after July 2013. Right now we aren’t asking if the customer purchased the AccessPORT new or not, but we will after July 2013.

2. Will COBB still be able to add updated ECUs to the database?

a. COBB will be able to add these until December 2013.

3. What happens if I forget to uninstall the AccessPORT when I take it to the dealer, and the dealer overwrites the ALTA map?

a. COBB can re-license the AccessPORT for a $50 fee as long as you have a copy of original dealer receipt showing that the ECU was updated.

b. This can happen anytime for as long as COBB makes an AccessPORT.

4. Will ALTA be able to make custom maps for different boost, throttle, etc in sport mode compared to normal mode?

a. We will still be able to make maps with different settings for a fee. Also keep in mind that shops setup to do custom tuning can also make these maps as well.

b. This is something that we can do as long as Microsoft still supports Windows 7.

5. Will ALTA maps still be available on COBBs servers after July 2013?

a. Yes, the ALTA maps will be available indefinitely, so customers will always be able to get the latest maps and ECU updates by using the AP Manager program.
This is some really good news...thanks for posting this Chris It relieves a lot of the anxiety I was having about my AP.

-Steven

Old 01-02-2013 | 07:24 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
That news just made my year!! This is excellent and about as clear cut as it can be! Thanks for the info Chris. I'm sure a lot of folks are breathing a sigh of relief reading this.

Old 01-03-2013 | 09:02 AM
Zyzio
1st Gear

I think I'm in this "rare" group.
I bought it used and not to save money but you guys didn't have it anymore.
I got BIG (for me) shifting AND boost issue (still waiting for Jeff to send me the new map) and I'm just afraid if I got this problem right on the beginning with no mods (just drop in K&N filter) I will have to pay every time ill put some mod for custom map? Unless ill do all the mods before July :( or you guys gonna fix all my maps?

And question to Chicago area mini owners if there is someone who own no mods mini and would like to try AP on his car to see if there is an issue with my car or AP
I got 08 MCS auto.

Old 01-03-2013 | 09:48 AM
SteveRowlands
1st Gear
I have a stage 1 tune and using the accessport. I get a 14psi of boost all the time and a max of 33psi it this all right?

Old 01-03-2013 | 11:11 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
Where can I still buy an Access Port? I don't mind buying it Brand New.

Old 01-03-2013 | 11:20 AM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Check the marketplace on NAM for a used one. I dont think you will find a retailer with any in stock or for sale anymore for that matter.

Old 01-03-2013 | 11:44 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor

I think I'm in this "rare" group.
I bought it used and not to save money but you guys didn't have it anymore.
I got BIG (for me) shifting AND boost issue (still waiting for Jeff to send me the new map) and I'm just afraid if I got this problem right on the beginning with no mods (just drop in K&N filter) I will have to pay every time ill put some mod for custom map? Unless ill do all the mods before July :( or you guys gonna fix all my maps?

And question to Chicago area mini owners if there is someone who own no mods mini and would like to try AP on his car to see if there is an issue with my car or AP
I got 08 MCS auto.
There always will be exceptions in certain cases. If you have the same problem with another map after we already made you a map, we'd take care of you.

Some auto MINIs seem to have issues with shifting, but not all of them, even with the same tunes, it is strange.

Originally Posted by SteveRowlands
I have a stage 1 tune and using the accessport. I get a 14psi of boost all the time and a max of 33psi it this all right?
That doesn't sound right. Are you reading this off the AccessPORT or off a boost gauge? Are you sure you're not reading vacuum? When the car is idling, the car will be in vacuum.

Originally Posted by Bigjoeski08
There isn't any shops that we know of that are selling the AccessPORT new. Your best bet would to find a used one. Just make sure it's uninstalled before you purchase it.

Old 01-03-2013 | 12:28 PM
SteveRowlands
1st Gear
accessport

Im using the accessport

Old 01-03-2013 | 12:31 PM
SteveRowlands
1st Gear
from access port

Old 01-03-2013 | 01:50 PM
Zyzio
1st Gear
maybe i should go to MINI and reflash or update my ECU ? can that help?

Old 01-03-2013 | 09:01 PM
adcam
2nd Gear
I added the AP a few months ago. I notice that there are new firmware updates? Do I have to uninstall and reinstall the AP ?

Old 01-04-2013 | 06:35 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Alta_Chris wrote
>> There isn't any shops that we know of that are selling the AccessPORT new. Your best bet would to find a used one. Just make sure it's uninstalled before you purchase it. <<

I have one for sale here. It is, honestly, barely used. It has spent, maybe, 15-20 minutes in the car since I got it. I only used it to update a few maps a couple of times. $795 incl. shipping to lower 48...

-RW-

Old 01-04-2013 | 07:16 AM
Zyzio
1st Gear
alta AP

Originally Posted by Bigjoeski08
there are 2 for sale on marketplace

Old 01-04-2013 | 07:57 PM
Zyzio
1st Gear
scroll down to ''Boost''
NOT ''req. Boost''

Old 01-06-2013 | 06:27 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
If a tuner local to me deals frequently with tuning other AP equipped vehicles, will they be able to tune the Mini?

All of your official shops are 8+ hours away. Not exactly convenient for me.

Old 01-06-2013 | 07:17 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Can someone post a link about this new ECU update? I just want to know about it and see if I want to do it or not.

Old 01-07-2013 | 10:50 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
If a tuner local to me deals frequently with tuning other AP equipped vehicles, will they be able to tune the Mini?

All of your official shops are 8+ hours away. Not exactly convenient for me.
Not necessarily. Only the MINI tuners listed on COBBs website will be able to tune for the MINI.

maybe i should go to MINI and reflash or update my ECU ? can that help?
It might make a difference, but there isn't a way for us to know, it seems random.

Originally Posted by adcam
I added the AP a few months ago. I notice that there are new firmware updates? Do I have to uninstall and reinstall the AP ?
Is there a particular reason why you're looking for an update? All of the recent updates have been made to add new ECUs. If the AP is installed on your car, there's no need to do an update.

Im using the accessport
Could you send us a picture of what it's showing on the AP screen?

Old 01-12-2013 | 08:07 AM
Carey P
3rd Gear
I'm really frustrated. Hope Chris or someone can help. I finally got my AP reset by COBB because it was not uninstalled properly by the previous owner. It has the latest firmware update and when I try installing to my 2007 MCSm+JCW MINI it says "New ROM detected - Contact support".

The AP says this: AP-MIN-001 v1.6.5.0-5250
Serial: 479 (UNKNOWN_ROM)
Vehicle: ?

The AP reports this number which may be the ROM ID:

0089SUOHS2OBSFW02

I'm only guessing at what are O's and 0's. How do I have a ROM that is not covered by the latest firmware. My car is out of warranty and I haven't had a ROM update as far as I know. Now I'm stuck for another weekend before I can call in to COBB. I've had this thing for a month now and have not been able to use it.

EDIT: Do I need the Beta Firmware for it to work or is that 5250? The log seems to indicate I already updated to the Beta version.

Last edited by Carey P; 01-12-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2013 | 02:08 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
I would attempt beta install again

Old 01-12-2013 | 04:37 PM
Carey P
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Raymazing
I would attempt beta install again
I think 5250 (1/3/13) is the latest Beta and it keeps saying it is up to date. I can't re-install it and can't revert back to any other install. I don't think I'm destined to use the AP on my car.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread