Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010 | 03:06 PM
monkeyjunk
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PoktRokt
Those numbers are huge - which would be worth $1000 - are you saying it wasn't a linear progression to those peak values? With 303 tq, it seems there would be power everywhere...
PoktRokt,

There was power all over. I went through 2 sets of tires w that tune and I'm retired w only 29k on the car. Problem was it damaged the car running it too lean. Not worth $1k

Old 08-30-2010 | 03:27 PM
monkeyjunk
1st Gear
My Dyno chart

Guys. I'm sorry for the missed numbers in my previous post. I said 300 when I should have said 200. Forgive an old retired guy in bifocals. I attached in PDF my charts from DynoComp plus the invoice. Yep my name is really Chris, not Monkeyjunk. I think for $799 that AP is a steal. I know I got mine.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dyno-Comp dyno chart.pdf (2.18 MB, 478 views)
Old 08-30-2010 | 05:46 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by monkeyjunk
Guys. I'm sorry for the missed numbers in my previous post. I said 300 when I should have said 200. Forgive an old retired guy in bifocals. I attached in PDF my charts from DynoComp plus the invoice. Yep my name is really Chris, not Monkeyjunk. I think for $799 that AP is a steal. I know I got mine.
Haha I was going to say....that was outrageous!

Your dyno seems more on par for their tunes. I'm amazed that they managed to run it at 22-25psi and only make those numbers. And anytime I go in they try to tell me that I need to buy the Evotech tune.... (I've known Rich for a long time, ever since he opened basically) nooooo way.

Old 08-30-2010 | 06:14 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
What about the 2011 cars?

I'm likely ordering a 2011 JCW in a couple weeks. Will this work on that considering it's the same engine or will I need to wait for an update? Any idea if it will work on the other 2011 cars with the upgraded engine?

Old 08-30-2010 | 07:03 PM
woodster
1st Gear
Hey all,

Tonight my wife drove my '09 JCW for the first time since I uploaded the Alta Stage 1 tune with the AP. She has a 2010 Clubman S (with the Alta CAI), and she's spent plenty time with my car as well, so she knows what each of them feels like in their "lightly modified" state.

I gotta tell you, it was so much fun watching her expressions when she first felt the power come on from a stop. The smile as she went from 2nd to 3rd, priceless! She had us up near triple digits before she realized it, and this was with the AC on and me (cough..unsprung weight..cough...) in the passenger seat . She could not say enough about how much more power it has. And sitting in the passenger seat I could appreciate the effort it took to keep my head off the headrest during acceleration.

Our anniversary is in October, think I know what she'll ask for.....

Old 08-30-2010 | 07:17 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
...awesome woodster!

Old 08-30-2010 | 07:43 PM
ALTAPerformance
|
Former Vendor
WOW this thread is on cruise control!
I am tyring to keep up with maps and calls and everyone saying such good things! I love everyones response and i am so glad everyone is happy! I think the only unhappy people are the Auto and 91 octane guys! We are working on this right now so dont worry!

Originally Posted by excesss
Interesting how the torque peaks so high between 2-4k then drops. Anyone know how much torque the stock JCW drivetrain is rated for?
Well whatever the drivetrain is rated for, i wouldn't be too concerned because its FWD. That is a great thing with FWD cars, you get a point and additional power tends to spin tires. Not sure exactly which transmission it is
Getrag Trannys
but i wouldn't be too worried until we start to hit the 350ft-lbs of torque a turbo kit could make.

Originally Posted by excesss
How long has the Alta AP been around? I was waiting for customer feedback and numbers before I buy. Both I've seen, my last concern before taking the plunge would be reliability. For the money, this appears to be the biggest performance gain for the money, am I right?
As SimpsonGI said, long long time! The AccessPORT has been used for many other cars over the years and the ALTA AccessPORT is the first Euro version that was made. Its an exciting time for everyone in the MINI world as the AccessPORT is just the start. There has never been a wide spread tuning tool like this EVER for the Mini or any other Euro car. This is first of its kind!
Next up is the tuning software! Once this gets into tuners hands, the MINI tuning world is going to go crazy!

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I've hear of the mustangs being called heart breakers. However, I have personally witnessed JCW on a dynajet - hp was 203 and tq was 208 - this was not my personal JCW. We've seen the numbers from the dynapacks being similar to the dynajets. Perhaps the JCW on the mustang wasn't up to par with the avg JCW we've seen dynoed. They do vary.

I dynoed my personal Alta AP tuned car yesterday on a dynapack - same as alta uses. It feels like it is putting out what the dyno says. I can break the tires loose in 3rd gear just by mashing the gas from a slow roll. These are those heavy a$$ jcw rims w/runflats.

Whichever dyno you want to believe, it is the huge difference in the before and after that count. They should also have the same difference on a mustang - just on a slightly lower scale.
What i see is that in 2wd mode dynos are pretty close, add the AWD and then its all over the place. I am only mentioning this as there is an AWD car coming soon, and i bet these over rated HP cars are going to start to finally read something more reasonable.

Originally Posted by callahan00
I've posed this question to them in an email. Think of this way. The JCW tune is, in it self an ECU flash. So the AP is taking the car back to stock and flashing it with the stage 1 flash. According to the email reply I got from Chris, this plus the FMIC I am goin to have installed, will take it up to Factory JCW performace levels. It kinda of sucks that we spent all that money on the kit and now the JCW kit is just 1900 dollars for some badges, cat back muffler and CAI. I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger ond get the FMIC and AP. I just need to find a local shop that will install the FMIC. although i'm sure it is an easy job, I really donn't want to do it myself.
Its hard to tell customers that they just wasted their money on a JCW kit for their Cooper S. But until now there wasn't a better option. So don't feel like you wasted your money at all as at the time there was no other option.

Originally Posted by DneprDave
Regarding toluene, don't get it on your paint!

Dave
Or shoes! Don't spill it!

Originally Posted by clnconcpts
Do these tunes prevent any cels from aftermarket down pipes?
All our ALTA AccessPORT tunes tune the common downpipe codes so they will not come on. So this means you can finally run our downpipe and not have issues when it comes time for emissions.

Originally Posted by slopeslider
John,

Anyword on the availability for MCS Auto? Thanks.
We have a few testers and it seems like the mapping side of things is very close. The only issue is clearing the Tranny codes. This will happen very soon.

Originally Posted by phantasms
What about the 2011 cars?

I'm likely ordering a 2011 JCW in a couple weeks. Will this work on that considering it's the same engine or will I need to wait for an update? Any idea if it will work on the other 2011 cars with the upgraded engine?
I can't wait to get one also! Its either going to happen really quick or its going to take a couple 3 months. Hopefully BMW isn't noticing the AccessPORT and goes and changes a bunch of things!

Old 08-30-2010 | 09:54 PM
donuttang
3rd Gear
When will uk version auto be available? Can't wait.

Old 08-30-2010 | 10:50 PM
monkeyjunk
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Haha I was going to say....that was outrageous!

Your dyno seems more on par for their tunes. I'm amazed that they managed to run it at 22-25psi and only make those numbers. And anytime I go in they try to tell me that I need to buy the Evotech tune.... (I've known Rich for a long time, ever since he opened basically) nooooo way.
Thumper, I'm humbled. I know I should look before I type, lol, i was looking at my E320 cdi #'s that dynocomp tuned. This AP has just been wonderful. Thank you Adam & Jeff. With the AP I have been able to get rid of my cel codes. She truly runs better with each map. Can't wait for the next map from Jeff. Each time I get one is like Christmas. Hurry and get the map installed, get some data runs in. Then get the data back to Jeff ASAP. Looking to the future I've been talking to Jeff about a real compliment to the AP. I'll give you all the download on it as soon as we I do it, and then Jeff says it is ok to say something. I'm so glad I started posting. I've been a member for quite a while, but ive been to busy with DIY projects. Great to be retired. The whole time I should have been asking instead of just looking. This is a good group. Could it be the nature of the product?

Old 08-30-2010 | 10:53 PM
monkeyjunk
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Regarding toluene, don't get it on your paint!

Dave
Adam,

In Alta's opinion is a gallon of toluene safe in the Prince turbo?

Old 08-30-2010 | 10:58 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Adam,

In Alta's opinion is a gallon of toluene safe in the Prince turbo?
Toluene is safe for motors, but depending on fuel lines and pumps, it can be somewhat damaging to them. But you likely won't be running it straight or tank after tank, so it shouldn't be a problem.

It is however, very nasty stuff, will take the paint right off. It's also a known carcinogen.

If I want extra octane I just mix 100-octane with our 91 crap. Or I'll wait till im nearly out, and then go fill up with some 100. It does wonders in this car . There's a couple places in town that have it at the pump.

Old 08-30-2010 | 11:03 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Looking to the future I've been talking to Jeff about a real compliment to the AP. I'll give you all the download on it as soon as we I do it, and then Jeff says it is ok
The next upgrade would be a larger turbo, I wish I could afford to help test that now.

Old 08-30-2010 | 11:06 PM
monkeyjunk
1st Gear
Toluene is safe for motors, but depending on fuel lines and pumps, it can be somewhat damaging to them. But you likely won't be running it straight or tank after tank, so it shouldn't be a problem.

It is however, very nasty stuff, will take the paint right off. It's also a known carcinogen.

If I want extra octane I just mix 100-octane with our 91 crap. Or I'll wait till im nearly out, and then go fill up with some 100. It does wonders in this car . There's a couple places in town that have it at the pump.
I was just wondering 100 octane at $16 a gallon is pretty steep. I've used it, but for now I'm running 91 to gather data for Jeff on a phase 3.

Old 08-30-2010 | 11:08 PM
monkeyjunk
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
The next upgrade would be a larger turbo, I wish I could afford to help test that now.
Why spend all that money. When other internals could be just as rich an experience.

Old 08-30-2010 | 11:18 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I was just wondering 100 octane at $16 a gallon is pretty steep. I've used it, but for now I'm running 91 to gather data for Jeff on a phase 3.
Whoa! Where are you paying $16 a gallon? Go to the Valero on 44th and Chandler....its like 7 something a gallon. Scottsdale Auto Salon which was on Bell Rd had it at the pump as well, and it was much more in my neck of the woods. But somebody (the owner, Joe) didn't pay their bills, and found it necessary to own multiple Lambo Murcielago's and they are out of biz!

Why spend all that money. When other internals could be just as rich an experience.
No internals will be as rich an experience on a turbo car as upgrading the turbo.

The turbo will be the weak link in the system as it's pretty much running at its max after you've been tuned. Upgrade to a turbo that can flow more air, then upgrade other internals.

Old 08-30-2010 | 11:29 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
No internals will be as rich an experience on a turbo car as upgrading the turbo.

The turbo will be the weak link in the system as it's pretty much running at its max after you've been tuned. Upgrade to a turbo that can flow more air, then upgrade other internals.
Yep, I would think that a turbo upgrade would be the next logical step up from a tune, FMIC and TBE.

Old 08-31-2010 | 07:27 AM
monkeyjunk
1st Gear
Whoa! Where are you paying $16 a gallon? Go to the Valero on 44th and Chandler....its like 7 something a gallon. Scottsdale Auto Salon which was on Bell Rd had it at the pump as well, and it was much more in my neck of the woods. But somebody (the owner, Joe) didn't pay their bills, and found it necessary to own multiple Lambo Murcielago's and they are out of biz!

Thanks , I was getting 100 octane at the valero on cave creek and bell.
See I think just jumping into a turbo upgrade without newer stronger internals is backwards, but that probably just me.

Old 08-31-2010 | 08:34 AM
unplugged
1st Gear
i cant wait for one for the Eur cars!!! Jeff - update me once it is out!

Old 08-31-2010 | 08:40 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Jeff/Adam,

What is the development status for the Stage 2/3 tunes for the 2007-2010 Cooper S manaul?

Old 08-31-2010 | 09:44 AM
ALTAPerformance
|
Former Vendor

Last edited by ALTAPerformance; 09-02-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2010 | 11:18 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
Originally Posted by ALTA_JOHNL
Tuesday, August 31st will be the last day to get your ALTA AccessPORT at the introductory price of $799.99.

Starting Wednesday, September 1st it will be $899.99.

Thanks so much guys and gals!
OOOPS, That was a typo. The price will be $895.00
There is a point beyond which an extra $4.99 up or down becomes trivial.
I can't speak for everyone in here, but $795 and $895 seem to be ever so slightly beyond that point.

That said... as a customer, I'll raise hell if you try bump my invoice an extra $4.99!

Old 08-31-2010 | 11:24 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by fishbert
There is a point beyond which an extra $4.99 up or down becomes trivial.
I can't speak for everyone in here, but $795 and $895 seem to be ever so slightly beyond that point.

That said... as a customer, I'll raise hell if you try bump my invoice an extra $4.99!
LOL! Glad to see there is still some lighthearted humor on NAM. It was absent for a very long time! Thanks!

Old 08-31-2010 | 11:58 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Well all I can say right now is:

"Holy Crap. Its freakin' fast"

I'm just talking about the order processing! In a matter of 45 minutes, my order for the Access Porrt and FMIC was processed and I got the shipping information. Most vendors out there take a few days for that to happen.

Maybe Aesthetic Creations should buy a couple of Access Ports and connect them to their botties!

Old 08-31-2010 | 01:44 PM
ALTAPerformance
|
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by callahan00
Well all I can say right now is:

"Holy Crap. Its freakin' fast"

I'm just talking about the order processing! In a matter of 45 minutes, my order for the Access Porrt and FMIC was processed and I got the shipping information. Most vendors out there take a few days for that to happen.

Maybe Aesthetic Creations should buy a couple of Access Ports and connect them to their botties!
Yes, our shipping is pretty fast right now. We have pretty much everything in stock and if we get your order by 1pm pacific time it will probably ship the same day (M-F).

Old 08-31-2010 | 01:51 PM
cop1406
4th Gear

Last edited by cop1406; 05-18-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread