Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013 | 11:01 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
I think that exact reason is why they haven't released yet. It will open up the flood gates of questions and people not knowing what they are doing. The first time someone blows up their car or heaven forbid someone else's car the proverbial **** would hit the fan. I still think they should release it and let the chip land where they will.

Old 04-10-2013 | 11:21 AM
CarlosDMotor
4th Gear
Im all for releasing it. If you blow up your car running 30 psi, its your fault. Maybe I could fix my shifting issues too

Old 04-10-2013 | 11:27 AM
pocari
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DasCooper
I think it would be helpful for you to list the actual map names you received and the one you are using now. That goes for anyone else on this thread. Since support is going away soon it will be the best way that members can help each other out.

Perhaps we can work something out with the mods so we can host AP maps on NAM.

If the gods love us, maybe we can even get Cobb to give us the Accesstuner Racesoftware so we can build our own maps and share as a community. Ok..dreaming now... :-)
I'm currently running this map..

MCSa Stage 1 FMIC 92oct H910B 4 rev7

Would be great if someone can share their H910B maps with me

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2013 | 11:47 AM
CarlosDMotor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pocari

I'm currently running this map..

MCSa Stage 1 FMIC 92oct H910B 4 rev7

Would be great if someone can share their H910B maps with me

Thanks!
Do you have issues with shifting? Like the throttle cutting and then kicking back in hard. Maybe its the 91 octane...

Old 04-10-2013 | 02:57 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sacred Disorder
I think that exact reason is why they haven't released yet. It will open up the flood gates of questions and people not knowing what they are doing. The first time someone blows up their car or heaven forbid someone else's car the proverbial **** would hit the fan. I still think they should release it and let the chip land where they will.
But, they have released ATR for Subarus years ago. So what is different with the Mini?

Old 04-10-2013 | 03:01 PM
CarlosDMotor
4th Gear
From reading this thread, it seems as if there is alot more stuff that goes into the mini ecu. I think the subaru ecu coding or something like that has been the same for 10 years

Old 04-10-2013 | 03:07 PM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
But, they have released ATR for Subarus years ago. So what is different with the Mini?
Supposedly the MINI ECU is much harder to tune. From what Jeff was saying it isexremely difficult to get all of the paramiters to work together properly.

Old 04-10-2013 | 04:34 PM
DasCooper
1st Gear
I'd like to blame the French for this problem with tuning MINIs. j/k What is interesting is that Cobb offers the ATR for a bunch of different car makes/models beyond subis: BMW, Ford, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan. Do we really have that big of a problem childe with the N14 Prince motor? ;-)

Meanwhile, I have asked the mods if we can have some kind of petition (Sacred Disorder's idea!) to the vendors (Cobb/Alta) requesting the ATR as a lovely parting gift as they EOL the AccessPort. Would be a wonderful thing for the community to step in and start sharing maps and tunes. We'll see! I must be durn optimist or something.

Last edited by DasCooper; 04-10-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: credit to SD
Old 04-10-2013 | 05:23 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sacred Disorder
Supposedly the MINI ECU is much harder to tune. From what Jeff was saying it isexremely difficult to get all of the paramiters to work together properly.
Regardless, the ability to do whatever you want is still there. You can easily blow a Subaru motor. the 2.5L motors are soooo susceptible to knock related ringland damage it's not even funny.

The fact that my car has issues like the idle and the overrev on hard shifts is the reason why I am in contact with Evolve to see if things will be better.

Old 04-16-2013 | 08:53 AM
dez
4th Gear
Does anyone have an updated list or experience with a shop doing custom Accessport Protunes in SoCal? I've been trying to find a place to get a custom Accessport tune but haven't had much luck. This list seems outdated. http://www.cobbtuning.com/Domestic-P...70754.htm#Mini CobbSoCal says they are not tuning for the MINI platform.

Old 04-16-2013 | 05:34 PM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Question for Chris or Jeff...I will likely have my intake walnut blasted to see if that clears up my superknock. I have been told that the dealer recommends updating the ECU after the cleaning. My question is, if I have this done before you discontinue support, is there an update that will accommodate whatever they flash my ECU with, or should I ask them not to flash? I assume the recommended flash is to improve on the carbon build up problem, so I would prefer that it be done. Thanks guys!

Old 04-17-2013 | 09:43 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drewburack
Do you have issues with shifting? Like the throttle cutting and then kicking back in hard. Maybe its the 91 octane...
I know I'm a little late in responding to this, but I have the same issue. I'm told it's 1) bad fuel mixture: like to many chemicals that are supposed to help during cold weather, and ethanol content. 2) because of the 91 octane. MINIs are supposed to run on 93 octane. I'm not sure if it was my own research or a post on NAM but BMW doesn't support any fuel grade below 93. I have done two things to rid of the problem with has helped me: get fuel cleaner and octane booster. I have found that octane booster on its own does not work to clear up the issue (it's still 'dirty' fuel just at a higher octane). The fuel system cleaner works great, but it doesn't boost the octane, obviously and for myself I try to stick with what BMW recommends for fuel ratings--otherwise if you have any issue that you want to dispute with MINI/BMW then you can have proof that you've maintained your car to their minimum requirements.

Hope some of that helps.

Old 04-17-2013 | 10:20 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jrettew
Question for Chris or Jeff...I will likely have my intake walnut blasted to see if that clears up my superknock. I have been told that the dealer recommends updating the ECU after the cleaning. My question is, if I have this done before you discontinue support, is there an update that will accommodate whatever they flash my ECU with, or should I ask them not to flash? I assume the recommended flash is to improve on the carbon build up problem, so I would prefer that it be done. Thanks guys!

As long as you do the ECU update at the dealer before December 2013, then it can still be added to the database. I don't think MINI has had any updates any time recently anyway, so you should be good.

Old 04-21-2013 | 11:11 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Finally moved to Stage 2, it's got a crazy amount of torque steer but I love it and my friends love it. I'm still getting used to the drone after installing everything, but I can't complain.

Old 04-21-2013 | 01:34 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Awesome!

What mods did you add prior to the jump to stage 2?

Old 04-21-2013 | 01:50 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
The AP indicates that I am throwing super knock codes, even with stage 0. I'd like to take it to the dealer and have them look at the problem, But to ready it for the dealer, I have to uninstall the AP, which clears the codes. Since the codes are intermittent, I don't know when the code is definitely there to take it in. So I bought a generic OBD II reader and use Torque with it, but it does not pick up super knock codes. I have read that the Bavarian Technic reader will do it, but it is $275. Does anyone know of a cheaper unit that will do the job?
+1 on this, I have the same issue, no idea how to test it. Last time I just too it in with the tune installed. It's not like they can usually tell, anyway.

I have a bavtech cable, but the super knock only happens with AP installed.

Old 04-21-2013 | 01:56 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SsgtThor
I do feel sorry for the folks who paid for the ap. I'm just happy because I haven't done any mods yet and this might be my first one!
Why? I completely disagree with this. If you bought one yesterday, maybe; I bought mine when it was first announced, and was even on the beta test team. I enjoyed it for the last 2.5 years, and I feel it justified every single dollar I spent on it.

But even if you bought it just before the EOL announcement: I haven't updated my maps in probably a year or so, but I am still enjoying the car. Even if the unit dies, so long as the ECU is not updated, you will not even need it, so the EOL is somewhat academic to me, as once the warranty is out, I won't ever update the car's ECU anyway.

Old 04-21-2013 | 03:34 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
Awesome!

What mods did you add prior to the jump to stage 2?

Hey Terminal - I originally had a CAI, Turbo Inlet Hardpipe, and just stage 1 from the AP, then I bought 3" turboback exhaust and moved to stage 2.

Old 04-22-2013 | 06:00 PM
CarlosDMotor
4th Gear
So if I have a mcs and get a downpipe would I get the JCW exhaust from atla? It looks like the mcs one wouldnt reach all the way. Second cat deleted

Old 04-22-2013 | 06:29 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drewburack
So if I have a mcs and get a downpipe would I get the JCW exhaust from atla? It looks like the mcs one wouldnt reach all the way. Second cat deleted
If I'm reading your post correctly, your stock downpipe is connected to a straight pipe underneath? If so, then yes, you should be good to go with a new 3" downpipe and Alta's 3" JCW exhaust.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using NAMotoring

Old 04-22-2013 | 06:32 PM
CarlosDMotor
4th Gear
Actually its all stock, but I was just wondering how it works.

Old 04-22-2013 | 07:19 PM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Hey Chris..I guess this isn't really an AP question as much as an Alta one, but here goes. I'd like to do the turbo muffler delete as well as the cold air intake, but I have a year of warranty left. Will either or both of those mods give me warranty problems?

Old 04-22-2013 | 07:26 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Hey Chris..I guess this isn't really an AP question as much as an Alta one, but here goes. I'd like to do the turbo muffler delete as well as the cold air intake, but I have a year of warranty left. Will either or both of those mods give me warranty problems?
Hey- I can probably answer this, every dealer will tell you that any mod will void a warranty, if they find that your mod is the cause of the problen. I did the Alta CAI and turbo inlet hardpipe 3 months after buying my car and the only thing my dealer said was it sounds great.

Old 04-22-2013 | 07:33 PM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Thanks Richieb0y. Follow up question: Do you have a OCC as well? Is that a problem? Forgot to include that in my original list.

Old 04-22-2013 | 07:42 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Thanks Richieb0y. Follow up question: Do you have a OCC as well? Is that a problem? Forgot to include that in my original list.
Hmm, oil catch? Nope don't have one yet. In general though, any mod will be treated the same, the only one you need to make sure you hide from the dealer is the Accessport. If you leave the tune in and the dealer updates the ECU, you'll have issues with getting it to work again

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread