Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010 | 04:45 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pathy01

If you buy a $500 Dell laptop with $400 of additional software pre-loaded on it, and it gets stolen or damaged, should they send you out a new laptop for $500 with that same software included for free to replace it? It's not on a retailer to determine what did or didn't happen in your case, and give you a special break, especially considering how easily they could get ripped off or taken advantage of with that type of situation.
A better analogy is would dell send you the new laptop without any software at all on it for significant price reduction. I don't think so.

Seriously, treat your AP like anything else you spent 800-900 bucks for.

There is too much opportunity to "steal" a tune for a second MINI if you could buy just the AP since any maps can be loaded on more than 1 ap at a time.

If your AP breaks - I expect there is a warranty - unless you ran over it =P

Last edited by MotorMouth; 09-20-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2010 | 04:47 PM
Pathy01
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
It's consumer electronics; it can break. Hopefully it won't happen to me or to you or to anyone else here... but it might. And I can guarantee you that ALTA will have customers with ones that do break for whatever reason (if they don't already).

And nobody's saying that ALTA should be put out over such a situation (far from it -- they seem to be a company with very attentive customer service and quality products; that's great and should be encouraged!). Just that it would be nice to have an option of purchasing a replacement box for something a little closer to the cost of the box.
COBB has a 12 month warranty on the hardware, which I'd have to imagine would still be in effect if the device is sold by a 3rd party such as ALTA. So it's just like almost any other consumer electronics device in that regard. Once out of the warranty period you're likely on your own, again just like most every other consumer electronic device.

Old 09-20-2010 | 04:54 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
After thinking about this some more, I can only think of one reason why they would still charge full price if the AP was lost or stolen. There are dishonest people out there that would claim to have lost theirs or had it stolen when it wasn't. Say for instance you are part of a multi MINI family like I am and you were dishonest enough to claim that you lost yours so you could get one for the other MINI in the family.

I would also assume this is partly do to the fact that the AP can also be uninstalled and then used on a different MINI versus the Dimpsort tool that that cannot be re-used on a different MINI without sending it in and paying to have it reset. Having the maps downloadable from the ALTA website (eventually) is a good thing but with them being downloadable in the future it would make committing this type of fraud that much easier.

So I can see why they would want to charge full price after all to replace a lost/stolen device. It is good to hear though that if one gets damaged, it can be sent in to be repaired.

Old 09-20-2010 | 04:56 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
A better analogy is would dell send you the new laptop without any software at all on it for significant price reduction. I don't think so.

Seriously, treat your AP like anything else you spent 800-900 bucks for.
The reason something like a Dell laptop doesn't make for a good analogy is that the cost of the hardware that is a Dell laptop is very close to the price being charged for the Dell laptop.

The cost of the hardware that is an AccessPort is nowhere near the $900 price being charged for the AccessPort.

Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
After thinking about this some more, I can only think of one reason why they would still charge full price if the AP was lost or stolen. There are dishonest people out there that would claim to have lost theirs or had it stolen when it wasn't. Say for instance you are part of a multi MINI family like I am and you were dishonest enough to claim that you lost yours so you could get one for the other MINI in the family.
Theft (or a claim of theft) is one of the trickier scenarios.
But certainly, if one can send in a broken AccessPort, it shouldn't cost the whole $900 to repair or replace.

Last edited by fishbert; 09-20-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2010 | 05:12 PM
cop1406
4th Gear

Last edited by cop1406; 05-18-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2010 | 05:39 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cop1406
Time to get off that topic and back on the important stuff. My car is screaming fast and fun to drive. Will try to do some data logging so I can send it into Jeff. Kinda hard cause my commute is only about 10 minutes. Anyway, motor on!!
What, there's no scenic route?!

Old 09-20-2010 | 05:57 PM
cop1406
4th Gear

Last edited by cop1406; 05-18-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2010 | 06:18 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
I agree, I wouldn't mind having one either

Also an $80k+ car that does 0-60 in *well* under 4 seconds (3.2s, with launch control).
It has a GPS that will remove the speed limiter if it detects the car is at a race track.
And was named Top Gear's Supercar of the Year for 2007.

Not that any of this has any bearing on the cost of its AP (other than its ECU was supposed to be "uncrackable")... just saying I wouldn't mind having one.
Top Gear review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXFSVoVqhYw

Old 09-20-2010 | 08:53 PM
peter314
5th Gear
Great to hear!
... unless you're that guy who wanted to snipe your AP from the marketplace.
oh well, you win some you lose some, hahaha.

Good to hear you got everything sorted out Nuff. Have fun

Old 09-20-2010 | 09:02 PM
NeverEnuff
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by peter314
oh well, you win some you lose some, hahaha.

Good to hear you got everything sorted out Nuff. Have fun
Yea I will have a new one tomorrow. That should take care of the problem.

Old 09-21-2010 | 03:35 AM
Ramezess
1st Gear
So is ALTAs AccessPORT available for Euro cars?
thanks in advance for the reply!

Old 09-21-2010 | 05:22 AM
jbourne
4th Gear
So when's the automatic tune coming on salle?

Old 09-21-2010 | 09:00 AM
NeverEnuff
2nd Gear
Update #2

My new AP came in this morning. Jeff had my new maps already loaded and ready to go. It is night and day difference. I guess I had a bad AP. Who knows. I took my car out for a 20 min test drive and it is running strong. My catless downpipe will be here tomorrow. I hope to get a few more HP out of that. I cant wait.
Thanks Jeff at Alta for taking care of me. To have a new AP sent overnight was great. I gotta get back to work but I cant wait to till I'm off so I can go drive!

Old 09-21-2010 | 09:03 AM
M3irish
1st Gear
But it backs it up … to the device, right?
Does it back up to a PC so I can make redundant copies of it or include it with my usual off-site computer backup routine (for safety)?

Also, doesn't it require the very same AP device to re-load it back on the ECU? I can't use a replacement device or borrow a friend's device in an emergency to re-load the factory ECU data, can I?
There is an option to pull the stock tune off the AP in the about screen and save it to your computer.

Rob

Old 09-21-2010 | 09:16 AM
NeverEnuff
2nd Gear
I pulled the stock tune from my old AP and I loaded it onto my new AP this morning. No problem

Old 09-21-2010 | 10:43 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by NeverEnuff
Update #2

My new AP came in this morning. Jeff had my new maps already loaded and ready to go. It is night and day difference. I guess I had a bad AP. Who knows. I took my car out for a 20 min test drive and it is running strong. My catless downpipe will be here tomorrow. I hope to get a few more HP out of that. I cant wait.
Thanks Jeff at Alta for taking care of me. To have a new AP sent overnight was great. I gotta get back to work but I cant wait to till I'm off so I can go drive!
Thank Goodness! I was really starting to wonder what was going on with your car!

Originally Posted by jbourne
So when's the automatic tune coming on salle?
Soon! We are able to tune and flash, but there are some CEL's that come up that are not clearable yet. If you have a scan tool or a way to clear the codes you can buy one right now. We also found out that you can start and stop your car 4 times to clear them. This does leave a couple other codes on the ECU but nothing that lights up on the dash.

Originally Posted by Ramezess
So is ALTAs AccessPORT available for Euro cars?
thanks in advance for the reply!
Not yet! This is something we are working on, but its not top priority until all our other maps are out and about.

Old 09-21-2010 | 11:42 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
I pulled the stock tune from my old AP and I loaded it onto my new AP this morning. No problem
Glad they were able to get you squared away.

Old 09-21-2010 | 02:04 PM
NeverEnuff
2nd Gear
Glad they were able to get you squared away.

Me too. I was about to give up.

Old 09-21-2010 | 10:09 PM
monkeyjunk
1st Gear
Auto ap

Me too. I was about to give up.
Glad you are not giving up. Jeff counted today and he has created over 10 maps for my Mini just to help test the AT at stage 3. Yep I'm running stage 3 at 91 octane with an auto tranny and zip-bang it is a blast.

Old 09-22-2010 | 02:40 AM
Ramezess
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Not yet! This is something we are working on, but its not top priority until all our other maps are out and about.
great!
Looking forward to become your first client in Russia Besides, I have an Auto, so guess it will take time to adopt PA to my car, but it is worth waiting.

Old 09-22-2010 | 04:35 AM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Soon! We are able to tune and flash, but there are some CEL's that come up that are not clearable yet. If you have a scan tool or a way to clear the codes you can buy one right now. We also found out that you can start and stop your car 4 times to clear them. This does leave a couple other codes on the ECU but nothing that lights up on the dash.
hmm, tsk - tempting i do have a bavtech tool, so it wouldn't be an issue at all. but .... the auto "special" pricing hasn't come out, and i don't want to pay full price either..... hehe. beta tester discount maybe?

Old 09-22-2010 | 06:30 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
I am running the standard Stage 1 tune on my R56 with the JCW kit parts [catback exhaust, JCW CAI] and an ALTA intercooler. Is there a custome map for my set up?

So far the boost in power has been great. Just need to refer to the several "entaglements" I've had with local police. One of them resulted in having to put off additional mods due to being 145 dollars poorer.

Old 09-22-2010 | 06:44 AM
peter314
5th Gear
Good to hear that they got you up and running Nuff. enjoy the extra power!

Anywho...
If ALTA needs anyone to test a AP unit on a stock Auto S in the northeast I'll happily oblige

Old 09-22-2010 | 09:51 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by callahan00
I am running the standard Stage 1 tune on my R56 with the JCW kit parts [catback exhaust, JCW CAI] and an ALTA intercooler. Is there a custome map for my set up?

So far the boost in power has been great. Just need to refer to the several "entaglements" I've had with local police. One of them resulted in having to put off additional mods due to being 145 dollars poorer.
We do have a map that will work with those mods. We don't have a map specifically for the JCW intake and catback with our FMIC on stage 1, but the ECU will see the increased airflow and cooler intake temps to make a lot of power! You'll just need to keep your foot under control around cops or you're going to get tickets!

Old 09-22-2010 | 10:12 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
We do have a map that will work with those mods. We don't have a map specifically for the JCW intake and catback with our FMIC on stage 1, but the ECU will see the increased airflow and cooler intake temps to make a lot of power! You'll just need to keep your foot under control around cops or you're going to get tickets!
Thanks. I sent an email to request the map. This tune rocks!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread