Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010 | 07:58 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
I don't know how restrictive the stock MINI mass air flow meter is, but with a low restriction mass air flow meter, the difference in performance between a mass air flow system and a speed density system is little to none.

A speed density system has to be individually tuned to each engine, for best results. Where an engine using a mass air flow signal compensates over a wide range of modifications. That and the fact that a completely different engine control unit would have to be developed, with its own custom maps and data curves, make a speed density system and expensive proposition with little or no advantage.

Maybe a performance mass air flow meter would be a better, and cheaper, product to develop than a speed density system and its different ECU.

Dave

Old 09-28-2010 | 08:41 AM
unplugged
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Theoretically we can, but since it's very rare for a Cooper guy to even modify his car, it would be hard for those guys to spend $900 on a tune to make a 10-15 WHP and a little better MPGs. If we do make the AccessPORT for another car, we will make it for the R53 first.

We are working on updates! We have a few guys that we are testing with stage 3 maps, and they will be ready soon!
dude, Eur R56s pls!!!! we are still waiting....

Old 09-28-2010 | 09:16 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Anyone been measuring their 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with the AP tune at all? I'd like to know if there are significant differences from stock.

Old 09-28-2010 | 09:47 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eg0911
got any news on speed density, i dont see that anything has been said about it yet, nor requested which is amazing.....have you thought about SD or are you working on it? maybe it would be worth 900 then.

i may be on board for this one, just waiting for SD fueling....the reason i have been anti-cobb is because lack of SD and canned tunes. i see speed density finally made it out for the drive by wire subarus so im assuming it wouldnt be that hard for the mini.

hoping *fingers crossed*

Not sure what you are talking about by SD, but all I have to do is press the pedal to the floor and I don't need to ask any more questions. They've all been answered in an exciting way.

Old 09-28-2010 | 10:20 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
How are the 91 octane guys doing?

Old 09-28-2010 | 10:34 AM
SemiImbecille
1st Gear
Also very interested in one for Euro cars.
Currently have a JCW 2008 with Milltek dp, I do get CEL for Efficiency below threshold. This sounds like the perfect solution for me

I do use REV software and a Iphone to clear code but they still come back.
I need a custom map for this

The CELs you were talking about, are those concerning the auto or eurocars in general?

If you need some kind of feedback/help developing euro-maps let me know

Last edited by SemiImbecille; 09-28-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-28-2010 | 12:55 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I had a chance to try the 0-60 feature on the AP today. I was able to try twice. Both times I had excessive wheel spin. This is on the stock runflats.

Old 09-28-2010 | 02:29 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
So you think it would be better with different tires/less wheel spin? 5.6 doesn't sound all that great with the hp & tq #s you have IMO.

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I had a chance to try the 0-60 feature on the AP today. I was able to try twice. Both times I had excessive wheel spin. This is on the stock runflats.

Old 09-28-2010 | 02:49 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
So you think it would be better with different tires/less wheel spin? 5.6 doesn't sound all that great with the hp & tq #s you have IMO.
I'm sure it would. Like I said - there was excessive wheel spin, as in most of 1st gear and part of 2nd. This wasn't a carefully planned or practiced event. I took off from the shoulder of the highway. Look at the 60'. That shows a bad launch.

Old 09-28-2010 | 04:54 PM
eg0911
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I don't know how restrictive the stock MINI mass air flow meter is, but with a low restriction mass air flow meter, the difference in performance between a mass air flow system and a speed density system is little to none.

A speed density system has to be individually tuned to each engine, for best results. Where an engine using a mass air flow signal compensates over a wide range of modifications. That and the fact that a completely different engine control unit would have to be developed, with its own custom maps and data curves, make a speed density system and expensive proposition with little or no advantage.

Maybe a performance mass air flow meter would be a better, and cheaper, product to develop than a speed density system and its different ECU.

Dave
okay your missing the main advantages speed density would offer. anyways in other cars it doesnt take a whole new ecu to run SD piggy back systems seem to work fine

does alta/cobb have any word on SD?

Old 09-28-2010 | 06:07 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
Agreed. His car should be a lot faster than a 5.6 0-60 car.

However I'll say it again, 0-60 is a useless measurement in a high hp/trq FWD car. I bet his 1/4 time and trap speed should really shine though and be a more accurate portrayal of his numbers

Old 09-28-2010 | 06:35 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Agreed. His car should be a lot faster than a 5.6 0-60 car.

Y'all make me wanna go out and practice. I don't really have a great place to do multiple runs and don't care to get any tickets. So I'll probably never realize what it can do at the cars limits instead of mine.

That said, I'm very very happy with the day to day driving it. It runs as smoothly as completely stock yet goes like a scalded cat when you floor it. Mid throttle just gives you nicely satisfying acceleration.

Passing in 6th gear from 55mph is effortless with less than full throttle. It pulls nicely there.

Old 09-28-2010 | 06:37 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Passing in 6th gear from 55mph is effortless with less than full throttle. It pulls nicely there.
I bet 5th and 6th on the highway are

Old 09-28-2010 | 08:52 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
okay your missing the main advantages speed density would offer. anyways in other cars it doesnt take a whole new ecu to run SD piggy back systems seem to work fine

Please explain why you think a speed density system would be greatly superior to a mass air flow system. I explained my reasoning to you. You can't just say there are advantages, without saying why!

Dave

Old 09-29-2010 | 12:03 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Please explain why you think a speed density system would be greatly superior to a mass air flow system. I explained my reasoning to you. You can't just say there are advantages, without saying why!

Dave
perhaps this is a discussion for another thread?

Old 09-29-2010 | 02:08 AM
eg0911
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
perhaps this is a discussion for another thread?
thats what i though, i was simply asking alta to give me some info whether it was coming or not

Old 09-29-2010 | 02:19 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
thats what i though, i was simply asking alta to give me some info whether it was coming or not
still working on a 91 octane map, auto map, EU map… I wouldn't hold your breath.

Old 09-29-2010 | 09:31 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor

EG0911,

Speed density is something that could be done with the AccessPORT, but probably not something that we will be working on for quite some time. We will continue to work on ironing out the R56 stage maps first. Thanks!

Old 09-29-2010 | 11:32 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Alta_Chris,

Satisfied Customer here. so here is my question. On the stage 1 maps that I have for my R56, can you explain what is the difference between the Stage 1 map and the stage1.TPS map. Thanks

Old 09-29-2010 | 11:41 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
tsp... throttle position sensor... so probably same as the regular Stage 1 in terms of power and timing etc, just different throttle map(s)

Old 09-29-2010 | 03:52 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by callahan00
Alta_Chris,

Satisfied Customer here. so here is my question. On the stage 1 maps that I have for my R56, can you explain what is the difference between the Stage 1 map and the stage1.TPS map. Thanks

Hello! The TPS maps are the ones that we changed the throttle to be more linear. The one's that don't have the TPS have the stock throttle feel. Let us know which one you like better, thanks!

Old 09-30-2010 | 11:01 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Y'all make me wanna go out and practice. I don't really have a great place to do multiple runs and don't care to get any tickets. So I'll probably never realize what it can do at the cars limits instead of mine.

That said, I'm very very happy with the day to day driving it. It runs as smoothly as completely stock yet goes like a scalded cat when you floor it. Mid throttle just gives you nicely satisfying acceleration.

Just sayin', a stock JCW should be able to do it in 6.2, if not less.

Go drive some more and report back.

Old 09-30-2010 | 11:27 AM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
any guesses as to what a stage 2 factory jcw 0-60 would possibly be?

im itching to know as well but I don't have much time to go to a track, nor do I know how to launch this monster, nor do I want to get arrested/ a ticket for "speeding, drag racing, unsafe acceleration, disturbing the peace, roaring engine noise." The cops around here like putting as MUCH as they can on simple speeding tickets

Old 09-30-2010 | 12:11 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
Thanks. When i first go tit I put the TPS map on and drove it for a few days in that mode. I then installed the non TPS map and I prefer that one.

My gas mileage has dropped by about .4 per gallon which i atttribute to the fun facttor of the AP since I punch it a little [well alot more] than I used to.

Hello! The TPS maps are the ones that we changed the throttle to be more linear. The one's that don't have the TPS have the stock throttle feel. Let us know which one you like better, thanks!

Old 09-30-2010 | 12:12 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
Thanks. When i first go tit I put the TPS map on and drove it for a few days in that mode. I then installed the non TPS map and I prefer that one.

My gas mileage has dropped by about .4 per gallon which i atttribute to the fun facttor of the AP since I punch it a little [well alot more] than I used to.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread