Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010 | 07:29 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
What's funny is that those at 7-11 (where I see 5 choices if ever, kind of rare) are just a different ratio of mixes between regular and hi-test.

Old 10-06-2010 | 07:44 AM
NeverEnuff
2nd Gear
I have a JCW Tuning Kit with a catless downpipe but my maps are all Stage 1. A friend of mine just got his AP and he just has a CAI and Invidia catback and his maps are Stage 2. Shouldnt I have the Stage 2 maps also?

Old 10-06-2010 | 07:58 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Augie05
How would it compare to a boost gauge or water temp gauge for displaying info? I think the scan gauge can display real time boost but i think it is not straight forward like a real boost gauge would be. Plus I would think harder to read when driving.

Any feedback on the real time usability of these functions from Alta and actual users would be appreciated. Btw. I checked Alta's website and couldn't find the level of detail I was looking for.
Originally Posted by aaronvb
Any boost gauge reading from the OBDII, which is actually (MAP - Atmospheric Pressure), is going to be delayed by a second on our MINI's. Since the boost is constantly going up and down it'll be hard to get an accurate reading.

Water temp doesn't fluctuate as fast so an OBDII reader would work nicely for that.

IMO nothing beats a real boost gauge tapped into the the intake system, especially one with a Peak function.
Thanks for asking. The ALTA AccessPORT monitoring function is as fast if not FASTER than an aftermarket gauge. It is reading the exact signal going to and from the ECU to the sensors in the car. Stating another way, the signal coming to the ECU that it then makes corrections (AFR, Boost, etc. etc.) is EXTREMELY fast and it is displayed in live time to the ALTA AccessPORT display screen.

So again NO DELAY in the information.

Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by manaloc
Hi Adam,

do you know when you might be getting it for automatics? Do you have a timeline? I'm really excited, and I can't wait.
thx
It is available now and at the INTRO $795 as promised! The only current stipulation is you have two choices to clear a transmission code created by the installation of the ALTA AccessPORT (only on the autos.)

1) You can simply start / stop the engine four times in short succession and that will clear the code.

or

2) Use a scan tool (other than the AccessPORT Scan / Clear Function as it is only for the ECU) that is capable of also clearing trans codes.

I prefer method 1) as it requires no additional investment.

When you want to order just go to our website CLICK HERE or call us to order! Happy to help! PLEASE note if ordered online it will ring up at $895 and then a $100 credit will come back to you after the sale is completed. Ordering via phone, will only be charged $795

Originally Posted by Smigetsmall
Is it available for UK cars? If not- when?
Would it support a big turbo upgrade? And get rid of any problems when the recirculation valve solenoid is unpluged???

Advantages and disadvantages over a UniChip?

Can it be used in conjunction with a UniChip?
Not yet, but we are working on the UK market as I type this. Units are in the UK gathering data and checking compatibility. As we get closer to shipping we will update everyone. We know the UK is a important market!

UniChip.......well..........most know my opinions on THAT nightmare. But to answer your question, it can't and shouldn't be used in conjunction with the ALTA AccessPORT

Thanks again for asking!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Last edited by ADAMSALTAMINI; 10-06-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2010 | 08:25 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Chris G
I'd rather wait for perfection on the 91 oct. maps

Patiently waiting.
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
Same here

I've been putting Shell 91 since day one and I have no plans to switch.

@Alta Staff

Does AP always need to be connected while the car is running? I'm asking because I want to get scanguage II but I'm not sure since each car only comes with 1 OBDII port.
Originally Posted by jeremyjcw
Add UT to that.
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
You can't get 93 in CA and all those other states? That sucks. Why not?
Originally Posted by chakraj
Darn you summer gas
91 OCTANE MAPS UPDATE

I have good news for the 91 crew!

Jeff has said officially that due to the success of the beta test user feedback, we can offer ALTA AccessPORTs to MOST 91 Octane clients.

Those that pride themselves on being "early adopters" and want to be "first on the block" with more POWER, should call us at 503-693-1702 to order. (You can order online and then be contacted by Jeff / Chris. You choose!)

There are a couple stipulations, including:

Some mods are limited (for example NO m7 intakes)
You may be asked to provide datalogs after installation
Willing to try new mapping when available
Provide feedback to Jeff / Chris in our mapping dept when asked.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for the business! We know the 91 folks have been left out for too long!

Questions? PM, Email or call us!!!!!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 10-06-2010 | 10:33 AM
peter314
5th Gear
Does want!
...but..
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI

It is available now and at the INTRO $795 as promised! The only current stipulation is you have two choices to clear a transmission code created by the installation of the ALTA AccessPORT (only on the autos.)

1) You can simply start / stop the engine four times in short succession and that will clear the code.

or

2) Use a scan tool (other than the AccessPORT Scan / Clear Function as it is only for the ECU) that is capable of also clearing trans codes.
Is this going to be a continual issue or are you working on fixing that?

any idea why this is happening?

Personally I would find it pretty annoying to have to stop/start the car 4 times to get rid of it, or spend the extra 160.

thanks

Old 10-06-2010 | 10:40 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by peter314
Does want!
...but..

Is this going to be a continual issue or are you working on fixing that?

any idea why this is happening?

Personally I would find it pretty annoying to have to stop/start the car 4 times to get rid of it, or spend the extra 160.

thanks
I appreciate the reply. It is the known issue /argument with the A/T cars.

We are certainly working on a solution and will update clients when available.

No argument that it is annoying though!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

Thanks again!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 10-06-2010 | 11:30 AM
minicounter
4th Gear
I appreciate the reply. It is the known issue /argument with the A/T cars.

We are certainly working on a solution and will update clients when available.

No argument that it is annoying though!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

Thanks again!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

To clearify... this is only necessary when installing the tune and/or updates right? Not needed on a daily basis ...

Old 10-06-2010 | 11:32 AM
peter314
5th Gear
^^^ what he said.
Good point Minicounter

Old 10-06-2010 | 11:33 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by minicounter
To clearify... this is only necessary when installing the tune and/or updates right? Not needed on a daily basis ...
100% correct! Only when installing the ALTA AccessPORT for the first time and after a re-flash to a new map.

Any other time you drive the car, it will be 100% normal.

Hope that helps!

Thank you again for asking!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 10-06-2010 | 11:47 AM
peter314
5th Gear
100% correct! Only when installing the ALTA AccessPORT for the first time and after a re-flash to a new map.

Any other time you drive the car, it will be 100% normal.

Hope that helps!

Thank you again for asking!

Adam @ ALTA Performance
Oh thats really good to know. I thought it was going to be every time.
crap. must.buy.access.port.

Old 10-06-2010 | 12:09 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Trust me....it is worth the 4 times start/stop code clearing for the new found power. Like Adam said, you only have to do it when you load or change maps.

Old 10-06-2010 | 01:15 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I'm surprised it hasn't mass rolled out already if you just have the code for the first four starts after the install. Modders are often willing to put up with little stuff. 4 starts is pretty little.

Old 10-06-2010 | 02:04 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
91 OCTANE MAPS UPDATE

I have good news for the 91 crew!

Jeff has said officially that due to the success of the beta test user feedback, we can offer ALTA AccessPORTs to MOST 91 Octane clients.

Those that pride themselves on being "early adopters" and want to be "first on the block" with more POWER, should call us at 503-693-1702 to order. (You can order online and then be contacted by Jeff / Chris. You choose!)

There are a couple stipulations, including:

Some mods are limited (for example NO m7 intakes)
You may be asked to provide datalogs after installation
Willing to try new mapping when available
Provide feedback to Jeff / Chris in our mapping dept when asked.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for the business! We know the 91 folks have been left out for too long!

Questions? PM, Email or call us!!!!!

Adam @ ALTA Performance
Any deal for the early 91 octane adopters? Are the maps working well with the bone-stock Cooper S?

Old 10-06-2010 | 07:44 PM
NeverEnuff
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NeverEnuff
I have a JCW Tuning Kit with a catless downpipe but my maps are all Stage 1. A friend of mine just got his AP and he just has a CAI and Invidia catback and his maps are Stage 2. Shouldnt I have the Stage 2 maps also?

ooookay. I take that as a no.

Old 10-06-2010 | 08:44 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by peter314
Oh thats really good to know. I thought it was going to be every time.
crap. must.buy.access.port.
Originally Posted by futuremini
Trust me....it is worth the 4 times start/stop code clearing for the new found power. Like Adam said, you only have to do it when you load or change maps.
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I'm surprised it hasn't mass rolled out already if you just have the code for the first four starts after the install. Modders are often willing to put up with little stuff. 4 starts is pretty little.
^^^^ Yes to he above! So not a big deal dudes!

Originally Posted by fjork_duf
Any deal for the early 91 octane adopters? Are the maps working well with the bone-stock Cooper S?
Keep in mind we have specific maps for lots of combinations. Stock car is certainly one of those. So yes they are working extremely well!

Originally Posted by NeverEnuff
ooookay. I take that as a no.
You should always update your mapping to match your mods. Also what map another person has, may not be applicable to your car. So if you add, subtract parts, change octane, etc. ring us up and get a map to match.

Thanks again folks!

Old 10-07-2010 | 07:11 AM
Smigetsmall
1st Gear
So will there be maps available for big turbo upgrades?? Eg. GT28RS

And will it get rid of any problems regarding the recirculation valve solenoid if a turbo upgrade were fitted?? (i've heard that the stock ecu doesn't like it being unplugged )

I'm planning a BIG project (or 2) over the coming years

Old 10-07-2010 | 08:23 AM
andy7771
1st Gear
Is there a map for E85? thx

Old 10-07-2010 | 08:37 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
I don't think you should be using E85 in a non-Flex fuel car. It will cause a lot of damamge. If you are, you should stop. Right now. You are ruining you motor.

Originally Posted by andy7771

Old 10-07-2010 | 08:41 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Smigetsmall
So will there be maps available for big turbo upgrades?? Eg. GT28RS

And will it get rid of any problems regarding the recirculation valve solenoid if a turbo upgrade were fitted?? (i've heard that the stock ecu doesn't like it being unplugged )

I'm planning a BIG project (or 2) over the coming years
Short answer is yes!

Originally Posted by andy7771
Not currently. Anything is possible in the future. Not sure the limitations of the direct injection though on high HP levels. E85 needs lots more volume of fuel vs. conventional fuels. It will run safely due to how the ECU compensates. So no motor risks, but we should all check with MINI on fuel system seal compatibility for long term use.

Thanks again folks!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 10-07-2010 | 08:59 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Yeah, as my mother will testify with her new 2010 MCSa, pushing the start button 4 times just to start the car is minimal to what you have to do with the factory tune.

But thanks to fellow NAM members, that issue has been resolved.

Mark

Old 10-07-2010 | 10:37 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
So if we provide data etc... do you guys knock any off the price for the extra help?

Old 10-07-2010 | 10:44 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
So if we provide data etc... do you guys knock any off the price for the extra help?
Thanks for asking! If you don't feel comfortable in providing the data (which will only help you and others with similar mapping) and being an early-adopter, I would suggest just hanging back until the full retail release happens for the 91 octane maps. Which depending on participation from folks, will determine when that is. We would hope by November 1st they would be good to go for all!

Hope that helps!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 10-07-2010 | 11:06 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Thanks for asking! If you don't feel comfortable in providing the data (which will only help you and others with similar mapping) and being an early-adopter, I would suggest just hanging back until the full retail release happens for the 91 octane maps. Which depending on participation from folks, will determine when that is. We would hope by November 1st they would be good to go for all!

Hope that helps!

Adam @ ALTA Performance
Thx.. just saw in the post further up that other early adopters were getting 100 off.

I'll order one as soon as budget permits! I'm stoked.

Old 10-07-2010 | 11:14 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Thx.. just saw in the post further up that other early adopters were getting 100 off.

I'll order one as soon as budget permits! I'm stoked.
Sounds great! (The $100 was for the Automatic clients. If you happen to be a 91 octane AND Automatic client then certainly that discount would apply to you!)

Just let me know how I can help further.

Thanks again!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 10-07-2010 | 01:36 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
How about manual with 91 octane map? The introduction pricing don't apply?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread