Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010 | 08:30 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LiLReD1
Totally depends on the track IMO. If you're doing SCCA in a parking lot, definitely the trq. If you're doing the Nurburgring, definitely HP.

They sent me 2 of the same tune, one with stock throttle setup, another with "ALTA throttle setup". They have yet to answer me what the difference was between the two, but I was hoping there's would've made it 100%, but it didn't.

On the AP, they have the actual throttle position, and a pedal position by % that you can monitor.
I'm pretty sure the difference between "stock" and Alta throttle is stock has different ratio of how much the accelerator is depressed compared to how much the throttle is opened... Alta usually has a linear setting (meaning throttle is more comparable to pedal position...) and a super linear setting where throttle is a 1:1 ratio to pedal... aka 50% throttle to 50% pedal... rather than stock's 50% pedal translates to 67% throttle...

Old 11-01-2010 | 08:02 AM
M3irish
1st Gear
Originally Posted by LiLReD1
They sent me 2 of the same tune, one with stock throttle setup, another with "ALTA throttle setup". They have yet to answer me what the difference was between the two, but I was hoping there's would've made it 100%, but it didn't.

On the AP, they have the actual throttle position, and a pedal position by % that you can monitor.
The Throttle Position (TP) on certain vehicles can be counter intuitive. Automotive manufactures spend hours modeling flow of the motors to see what is most efficient. On some motors such as the N14 or Mazda Speed 3/6 DI motor, 100% TP will not procure the most power. Sometimes 100% TP can slow response on tip-in or hurt overall power due to the wrong kind of turbulence causing poor air and fuel mixing and/or poor flow all together. To keep the motor running as efficiently as possible the ECU contain tables to help keep the TP at an optimal position per RPM and mass air flow.

That being said I know Jeff is aware of this kind of advance engine dynamics and has optimized the TP for his tunes to make the most power and have the best response. 100% TP was not the optimal setting iirc.

Rob

Last edited by M3irish; 11-01-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-01-2010 | 09:28 AM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
I'm pretty sure the difference between "stock" and Alta throttle is stock has different ratio of how much the accelerator is depressed compared to how much the throttle is opened... Alta usually has a linear setting (meaning throttle is more comparable to pedal position...) and a super linear setting where throttle is a 1:1 ratio to pedal... aka 50% throttle to 50% pedal... rather than stock's 50% pedal translates to 67% throttle...
I'm glad you checked this out, cause I haven't had the time to, lol. Thanks for the help. Although, with being used to the stock setting, I was falling flat on my face every time I was trying to get a rapid response. I quickly changed it back to stock settings with the ability to choose between normal and sport modes.

Originally Posted by M3irish
The Throttle Position (TP) on certain vehicles can be counter intuitive. Automotive manufactures spend hours modeling flow of the motors to see what is most efficient. On some motors such as the N14 or Mazda Speed 3/6 DI motor, 100% TP will not procure the most power. Sometimes 100% TP can slow response on tip-in or hurt overall power due to the wrong kind of turbulence causing poor air and fuel mixing and/or poor flow all together. To keep the motor running as efficiently as possible the ECU contain tables to help keep the TP at an optimal position per RPM and mass air flow.

That being said I know Jeff is aware of this kind of advance engine dynamics and has optimized the TP for his tunes to make the most power and have the best response. 100% TP was not the optimal setting iirc.

Rob
I figured it was something beyond my ability to try, this does make sense though. I'd be interested to see the actual results of this if for nothing else, enthusiast reasons.

Old 11-02-2010 | 09:39 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by M3irish

Rob
As Rob pointed out manufactures spend lots of money and time figuring these things out. There is a map in the ECU that is RPM based, that limits the amount the throttle opens (regardless of pedal position) In stock form the throttle is at 60 degrees open at 1500 and then by 4000 its open 80 degrees. From 4000- 6500 it opens to 90 degress (fully open). It sounds like there is tons to be gained by changing this!!

But there isn't. I have tested this on a few cars with stock HP and 250WHP and on the dyno, there is no difference. Bummer! But once we start busting past 250WHP, they may start to make a difference. Should be busting past that barrier later this week!

Old 11-02-2010 | 10:15 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
As Rob pointed out manufactures spend lots of money and time figuring these things out. There is a map in the ECU that is RPM based, that limits the amount the throttle opens (regardless of pedal position) In stock form the throttle is at 60 degrees open at 1500 and then by 4000 its open 80 degrees. From 4000- 6500 it opens to 90 degress (fully open). It sounds like there is tons to be gained by changing this!!

But there isn't. I have tested this on a few cars with stock HP and 250WHP and on the dyno, there is no difference. Bummer! But once we start busting past 250WHP, they may start to make a difference. Should be busting past that barrier later this week!
YEAH 250WHP!

Old 11-04-2010 | 11:16 AM
TheMINIPartStore
Banned
I've been trying to keep track of this big thread so forgive me if this has been answered.

Is there an option for the "pop and burble"? I know it sounds weird, but this might be the little thing that pushes me over the edge to purchase this.

Old 11-05-2010 | 06:44 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Hey guys,

I can say that fingers are crossed that Jeff can release a ton of info next week on some new dyno results and how we achieved them using the ALTA AccessPORT and other ALTA items. So stay tuned!

On the Pop and Burble, certainly can be done and is on a future list, but not at the top right now in lieu of focusing on upgrading mapping, new HP goals etc. So we will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 11-08-2010 | 04:20 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
What would the difference be between a conservative map and a nonconservative map?

Old 11-08-2010 | 04:20 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
double post

Old 11-11-2010 | 02:04 AM
OttomanFD3S
1st Gear
is there any ETA on the euro friendly version of the AccessPORT?

is the only difference in the Airflow meter? or is it a whole different animal?

seeing as how I live in a fairly remote location, there are no local tuners,
on all my previous cars i've always done my own tuning, (haltech, Power FC, AEM etc)

I'd be happy to do before and after dyno runs as well as diff combinations of modifications too...

Old 11-11-2010 | 07:09 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jcap287
What would the difference be between a conservative map and a nonconservative map?
Thanks for asking! A Non-Conservative would push the boost and timing more. Both types of maps are safe if they have been properly tested. Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by OttomanFD3S
is there any ETA on the euro friendly version of the AccessPORT?

is the only difference in the Airflow meter? or is it a whole different animal?

seeing as how I live in a fairly remote location, there are no local tuners,
on all my previous cars i've always done my own tuning, (haltech, Power FC, AEM etc)

I'd be happy to do before and after dyno runs as well as diff combinations of modifications too...
The current ETA is April 2011. While the MAF is the only mechanical difference we are currently aware of, the map tables are all different.

We appreciate the offer to help and when we get closer we would love to all upon you for some help.

Thanks again!!!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 11-11-2010 | 09:13 AM
MakoBimmer
4th Gear
Wow....35 pages about this so forgive me if this has been asked before.

Is there an option to demo this on my car before plopping down my chunk-o-change?

I remember testing an ECU remapping on my old Volkswagen from REVO Technik before I bought it. The trial test lasted for about a day or two then switched back to original ECU mapping automatically.

Old 11-11-2010 | 10:51 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MakoBimmer
Wow....35 pages about this so forgive me if this has been asked before.

Is there an option to demo this on my car before plopping down my chunk-o-change?

I remember testing an ECU remapping on my old Volkswagen from REVO Technik before I bought it. The trial test lasted for about a day or two then switched back to original ECU mapping automatically.
Thanks for asking. Since this is an actual tool shipped to you, (vs a computer to ECU flash like on your VW) a trial is a bit more complicated.

SO.....

And this goes out to everyone. If you purchase your ALTA AccessPORT and find you don't love the improvement in power, features etc. you can return it for a complete refund within 15 days of purchase.

Stipulations:

You pay freight both ways
AccessPORT MUST be unmarried from car. If not NO REFUND!
Must be in "as-new" condition.
You must call us first for an RMA #.

Simple right? Why not order now? EVERYONE LOVES THE ACCESSPORT!!!!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 11-11-2010 | 11:05 AM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
WOW! That's amazing.

Old 11-11-2010 | 02:13 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Good to hear. It is a good chunk of change for lots of folks but they might be more apt to plunk down that hard earned cash for more fun with the knowledge that they can get it back if they don't see it being worth it.

Old 11-11-2010 | 02:26 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks for asking! A Non-Conservative would push the boost and timing more. Both types of maps are safe if they have been properly tested. Hope that helps!

The current ETA is April 2011. While the MAF is the only mechanical difference we are currently aware of, the map tables are all different.

We appreciate the offer to help and when we get closer we would love to all upon you for some help.

Thanks again!!!

Adam @ ALTA Performance
I'm also happy to be a test mule. I live in australia, we have the Euro Spec cars as well

Old 11-11-2010 | 05:30 PM
unplugged
1st Gear
Originally Posted by etalj
I'm also happy to be a test mule. I live in australia, we have the Euro Spec cars as well
Happy to trial too... April is just too far away!!!

Old 11-14-2010 | 11:56 AM
R56 Wi MINI
3rd Gear
Any word on when the Cooper S manual Stage 2 map will be available?

Old 11-15-2010 | 08:26 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by R56 Wi MINI
Any word on when the Cooper S manual Stage 2 map will be available?
Thanks for asking! That map (along with pretty much everything) is now pre-loaded or available or online download for the ALTA AccessPORT.

Please let me know how ALTA can help further!

Thanks!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 11-15-2010 | 09:15 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks for asking! That map (along with pretty much everything) is now pre-loaded or available or online download for the ALTA AccessPORT.

Please let me know how ALTA can help further!

Thanks!

Adam @ ALTA Performance
Adam,
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]The 2010 MCS Stage II and Stage III release states “pending” on the website.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 11-15-2010 | 09:16 AM
peter314
5th Gear
Hey Adam, I believe that I had sent you guys an email about putting an ALTA JCW Downpipe on a Cooper S with the rest of the ALTA exhaust. Would you have to make a special code or tune for that on an Automatic?

Old 11-15-2010 | 09:25 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Adam,
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]The 2010 MCS Stage II and Stage III release states “pending” on the website.[/FONT][/SIZE]
I'll have that corrected. Thank you for pointing that out!

Originally Posted by peter314
Hey Adam, I believe that I had sent you guys an email about putting an ALTA JCW Downpipe on a Cooper S with the rest of the ALTA exhaust. Would you have to make a special code or tune for that on an Automatic?
I don't believe anything special is needed, but to confirm PM ALTA_Chris, or ALTA2 or e-mail Chris.Cone@ALTAPerformance.com

Happy to help!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 11-15-2010 | 07:15 PM
FredR53
1st Gear

Last edited by FredR53; 11-15-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2010 | 04:07 PM
EtherealPanMan
1st Gear
I was going to order one yesterday, but I have a 2011 MCS. The phone operator told me that you haven't "cracked" the 2011 ECU yet. Any ETA? I am jonesin' for the accessport and tune bad!

Cheers!

- Ryan

Old 11-16-2010 | 04:13 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
I assume there's the cracking... and then the road testing (seeing how the 2011 has a different engine).

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread