Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011 | 11:57 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Jrettew,

If you haven't ever had your car's software updated, it will be a good idea. We haven't had a problem with new software working with the AP at all. It's a tricky thing to do, usually you'll have to go to the dealer with a problem, then hopefully they will update your ECU. I'm not sure you can call the dealer and have them just update your ECU, since it takes a few hours.
It takes a few hours, but it's mostly a case of "push the button, then come back later", so I bet most dealers will be willing to do it (mine is, anyway). Just don't let them charge you the full 3 or 4 hours labor if they're just leaving it in a corner unattended while the computer does its thing.

Old 01-18-2011 | 12:12 PM
MCS9211
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
It takes a few hours, but it's mostly a case of "push the button, then come back later", so I bet most dealers will be willing to do it (mine is, anyway). Just don't let them charge you the full 3 or 4 hours labor if they're just leaving it in a corner unattended while the computer does its thing.
they charged me $110 but originally wanted to charge $140

Old 01-18-2011 | 02:19 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS9211
they charged me $110 but originally wanted to charge $140
Can you find out what version you are on now? It should be listed on your bill. I'm guessing something like R56X-####-#### or something of the sort.

Old 01-18-2011 | 02:53 PM
Reebus
4th Gear
Wow! I've tried to read a lot of this thread, but now my head is hurting. I'm almost to the point that I'm sold on this item. Now forgive me. I didn't read ALL of the posts, but did catch some interesting stuff concerning the Automatic tunes and have several questions. Bear with me if some of this has already been covered....

I currently have my '10 Clubman at the dealer having a few minor warranty items being taken care of. They gave me an '11 Auto Cooper S loaner and I have to admit that the difference in throttle cointrol, and where the boost seems to come on are night and day between the two. I use the Sport mode almost all the time due to the fact that I can't stand the hesitation I currently have. Will the Accessport help to correct some of the dismal throttle response I have in "normal" mode currently? Also, can the boost be set to come on sooner? This seems to be what is happening with the car I'm driving now.

Does anyone keep it plugged in all of the time and use it as a Boost, or other type, display? How do you keep it mounted? Where?

Like I said earlier, I'm really sold on this item and plan on making it my first performance modification. Please forgive me if all of this has been covered.

Old 01-18-2011 | 03:18 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Reebus
Wow! I've tried to read a lot of this thread, but now my head is hurting. I'm almost to the point that I'm sold on this item. Now forgive me. I didn't read ALL of the posts, but did catch some interesting stuff concerning the Automatic tunes and have several questions. Bear with me if some of this has already been covered....

I currently have my '10 Clubman at the dealer having a few minor warranty items being taken care of. They gave me an '11 Auto Cooper S loaner and I have to admit that the difference in throttle cointrol, and where the boost seems to come on are night and day between the two. I use the Sport mode almost all the time due to the fact that I can't stand the hesitation I currently have. Will the Accessport help to correct some of the dismal throttle response I have in "normal" mode currently? Also, can the boost be set to come on sooner? This seems to be what is happening with the car I'm driving now.

Does anyone keep it plugged in all of the time and use it as a Boost, or other type, display? How do you keep it mounted? Where?

Like I said earlier, I'm really sold on this item and plan on making it my first performance modification. Please forgive me if all of this has been covered.
THANKS FOR ASKING!

This thread has been lengthy (for good reason) and can understand not wanting to read through all of it.

The throttle response is improved tremendously with the ALTA AccessPORT. Both in Sport and Non-Sport mode. We have selectable maps for you to taylor to what you prefer. When you get the AccessPORT (AP) you will see them on the menu. Feel free to try as many as you like!

The AP can be mounted permanently in the car, or only when you want it, or when you flash it only. You can choose to see a TON of different information, and performance for the car. Clear CEL's, check other engine functions etc. Essentially you choose how much infor you want and when.

You might want to CLICK HERE for a link to our website AccessPORT Page. Click around on the information. It might answer a lot of your questions. BUT don't hesitate to post back up here, or e-mail or PM us at ALTA any other questions you might have! Always happy to help!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 01-18-2011 | 03:54 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Trying again for Alta response to questions below--maybe missed over holidays?

My prior message from a page or so back:

Originally Posted by MP1.6T
And separate questions on Mini stock overboost for Alta:

What is happening to the stock Mini S and JCW overboost function in the Alta programming? Nuances of a given map aside, I'm guessing Alta generally ups things fort starters in general, and then limits them by reported engine operating parameters like various temperatures, knock sensor reading, etc. That understanding is what I took away from the Alta FAQ's. By contrast, I think the stock overboost function is regulated (at least) by a short term timer. And I'm guessing that short term timer would quickly be blown through in dyno testing too. But rather than speculate further, thought I would ask.

The question comes up again more broadly in reading the Alta performance graphs, where the simplistic ones Mini publishes for the JCW kit also include a line for the overboost performance function. Can you also describe how Alta did (or didn't) deal with overboost performance in the reported baseline stock Mini S and JCW performance graphs? Mini breaks that out into a separate performance line graphically, but again I think in stock form it is time limited.

Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2011 | 03:58 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Ditto on this one for any Alta response from the holidays?

Messages seem to have just sat there, but seeing many newer messages now with responses. Happy with product but honestly still don't follow the (road) wheel vs. flywheel measurements per the Alta graph labeling, and haven't been able to find an explanation of how original factory overboost is dealt w/ or not by the AP.

(As a customer )

I thought I had it straight, but now I'm not so sure. Apologies if this was earlier in the thread, which I did previously read in full before purchasing.

The HP performance graphs on Alta's site and the start of this whole thread are all labeled with the words "## Wheel HP gained." I was looking at these w/ interest across the stage 1 and stage 2 graphs, as well as the JCW vs. S graphs. But then when I looked carefully I saw the words "Fly Wheel Torque" and "Fly Wheel Power" above each graph. Now I'm not sure what Alta are measuring. Flywheel to me sounds like back of motor, and I'm guessing would be akin to bhp given the indicated stock numbers compared to what BMW/Mini spec. In the normal vocabulary, "wheel" to me isn't at the flywheel but rather downstream in the drivetrain with various of the frictional losses involved. In turn of course that is what a normal vehicle type dynamometer can measure directly.

Can the folks at Alta clarify? And if it was reported at flywheel as the graphs are at least labeled, what was the correction factor used from the road wheels (where presumably the measurements were taken) back to the motor?

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2011 | 04:29 PM
MCS9211
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jbourne
Can you find out what version you are on now? It should be listed on your bill. I'm guessing something like R56X-####-#### or something of the sort.
I tried to find my reciept but I paid cash so it didnt get filed away, sorry. I can give you the number that shows up in the accessport. Will that work?

Old 01-18-2011 | 04:42 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
My prior message from a page or so back:
And separate questions on Mini stock overboost for Alta:

What is happening to the stock Mini S and JCW overboost function in the Alta programming? Nuances of a given map aside, I'm guessing Alta generally ups things fort starters in general, and then limits them by reported engine operating parameters like various temperatures, knock sensor reading, etc. That understanding is what I took away from the Alta FAQ's. By contrast, I think the stock overboost function is regulated (at least) by a short term timer. And I'm guessing that short term timer would quickly be blown through in dyno testing too. But rather than speculate further, thought I would ask.

The question comes up again more broadly in reading the Alta performance graphs, where the simplistic ones Mini publishes for the JCW kit also include a line for the overboost performance function. Can you also describe how Alta did (or didn't) deal with overboost performance in the reported baseline stock Mini S and JCW performance graphs? Mini breaks that out into a separate performance line graphically, but again I think in stock form it is time limited.

Thanks again!

I thought I had it straight, but now I'm not so sure. Apologies if this was earlier in the thread, which I did previously read in full before purchasing.

The HP performance graphs on Alta's site and the start of this whole thread are all labeled with the words "## Wheel HP gained." I was looking at these w/ interest across the stage 1 and stage 2 graphs, as well as the JCW vs. S graphs. But then when I looked carefully I saw the words "Fly Wheel Torque" and "Fly Wheel Power" above each graph. Now I'm not sure what Alta are measuring. Flywheel to me sounds like back of motor, and I'm guessing would be akin to bhp given the indicated stock numbers compared to what BMW/Mini spec. In the normal vocabulary, "wheel" to me isn't at the flywheel but rather downstream in the drivetrain with various of the frictional losses involved. In turn of course that is what a normal vehicle type dynamometer can measure directly.

Can the folks at Alta clarify? And if it was reported at flywheel as the graphs are at least labeled, what was the correction factor used from the road wheels (where presumably the measurements were taken) back to the motor?

Thanks.

Sorry for missing your earlier posts! To answer your first question, the Mini makes power by hitting a load target according to the throttle input. The ECU requests a certain load from the engine, and then gets actual numbers from the engine. The engine is always trying to match these by varying timing and boost. The ECU measures load according a super complicated calculation using manifold pressure, boost tube pressure, charge air temp, intake air temp, RPMs and the MAF sensor. It is not based just on the MAF sensor, the European cars don't even have a MAF sensor!

The overboost feature built into the OEM maps is really just the ECU not controlling boost for the first few seconds after the throttle is floored. Some people would call it poor boost control, because what the car is doing is letting the boost getting to whatever boost it wants to without electronic control, then after a few seconds, the ECU cuts in to lower the boost to a predetermined amount. It probably is a time factor built into the OEM map. This will get blown by being on the dyno. Our maps don't have this built in, but our maps still make more power! Our map will always try to control the amount of power it's making. This will make the car feel smoother, and pull harder to redline.

For your dyno question, we use a dynapack dyno, which bolts directly to the wheels. Because of that, it's built into the dyno sheets to say "flywheel hp" when we print dyno sheets.

I hope that all makes sense, the Mini ECU is really complicated. If you have any more questions, ask us!

Old 01-18-2011 | 06:08 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS9211
I tried to find my reciept but I paid cash so it didnt get filed away, sorry. I can give you the number that shows up in the accessport. Will that work?
Ok, let's try that. What is it?

Old 01-20-2011 | 12:10 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Update: The ALTA AccessPORT works on 2011 JCWs!

We are still working on the 2011 MCS.

Old 01-20-2011 | 12:12 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Have there been any map updates since the initial release?

Old 01-20-2011 | 12:51 PM
yadigme
2nd Gear

I was waiting on that . I will be purchasing one of these babies next month for sure . Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-20-2011 | 01:50 PM
fishbert
6th Gear

That makes sense.

If I recall correctly, the JCW engine was pretty much left alone for the 2011 models.
Not the case for the MCS.

Old 01-21-2011 | 08:54 AM
dez
4th Gear

WawaWHAT??!!?? That is the news I have been waiting for. So 2011 JCWs are good to go, with 91 octane maps?

Old 01-21-2011 | 08:59 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
The AP is good to go with all of the 2011 JCWs maps! Time to add power to Ninja 2.0!!!

Old 01-21-2011 | 09:01 AM
dez
4th Gear
The AP is good to go with all of the 2011 JCWs maps! Time to add power to Ninja 2.0!!!
indeed i think it is! ... as soon as i get approval from the boss lady (read wife)

Old 01-21-2011 | 05:16 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth on Nov 19th 2010
I hooked my access port up to a 2011 JCW and it recognized it. It wasn't my car so I didn't load the tune but it certainly seemed like it would. There were no errors.

has anyone downloaded a 2011 MCS ecu for you yet?

Old 01-22-2011 | 05:08 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dez
... as soon as i get approval from the boss lady (read wife)

Now that's your problem. The only approval that you are going to get from your wife is to purchase her a diamond in some capacity. Get the AP and be happy. Life is too short.

Old 01-22-2011 | 05:30 PM
dez
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Now that's your problem. The only approval that you are going to get from your wife is to purchase her a diamond in some capacity. Get the AP and be happy. Life is too short.
hahahaha.... oh man... you must know my wife. I will most likely be ordering the AP soon... but may need some support from fellow NAM'ers once I'm in the dog house...

Old 01-22-2011 | 07:30 PM
LASRGUY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Apparently the jewelers have figured this out. The banner add at the bottom of this page is for jewelry! On a car site!

Old 01-23-2011 | 05:55 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Does anyone have any pics of how they mount/use the Accessport on a day-to-day basis?

Old 01-23-2011 | 07:14 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Don't know why my subscription was removed but I'm posting again to "renew" it.

Old 01-23-2011 | 12:19 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Reebus
Does anyone have any pics of how they mount/use the Accessport on a day-to-day basis?
I use Velcro brand velcro that is specifically made for plastic to mount my ScanGauge. This seems to work better for the temperatures in the car on a hot, sunny day. Other "hook and loop" fastener adhesives have come loose on me after a while; the Velcro stuff has worked for a year now with no problem. I used a piece of aluminum sheet bent to form a bracket that aimed it to me. All of this is mounted to the left of the steering column with the Velcro. Seems you could do something like that for the AccessPort.

Old 01-24-2011 | 09:20 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
has anyone downloaded a 2011 MCS ecu for you yet?
Still working on it, what we really need is a 2011 MCS here to put on the dyno!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread