Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011 | 10:19 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks Gene for asking and congrats on the new JCW!

You do not need to get anything other than the latest firmware update. That will have all the latest maps to match your JCW.

If you have any questions, PLEASE just let us know!
Great. So the unit will just know what the car is plugged into and bring up those maps? I was just concerned about using the wrong map on the car. When I tested it the first time I had to be given special maps for my vehicle. I thought that was how it worked with all customers.

So any concern about putting it on a Mini with 150 miles?

The JCW is already Fassstttttt.....but I'd love to see how it rolls with more power.

Old 02-15-2011 | 10:22 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
I update firmware but never get any maps. The only maps that I have were emailed to me. I updated my AP over the weekend. Still no maps loading. I think that there is a driver error or something in the software but even using my father's MAC I was not able to get maps. Chris has the details as I spoke to him over the phone and was subsequently emailed maps.

Old 02-15-2011 | 10:45 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Step
So I got to about page 15 and got impatient. I have a few questions that I'm hoping can be answered (basically determining my purchase)

For starters, I just wanted to clarify. Its obvious that a huge bottle neck of the cars power is the cat. I want to run a catless DP for track day. From what I can tell the monitor is deleted right from the start for the secondary 02 right. is this the case no cel for catless dp period.

Im curious as to why you chose to put the power limit where you did. Why 22 lbs? whats the timing advace like compared to stock? and did I read right 10.5 to 1 thats really rich no? I guess what I'm saying is what is keeping you from pushing the envalope even further. IAT heat? fear of knock? just curious.

one of my most important questions is how well can you cater to individual needs? If I buy this Im going to combine the purchase w/meth (almost always a good Idea with high pressure setups and dirty engines) then set it up so the meth turns on with the sport button. Can you push the tune further to make use of the meth and if so how long would it take to get a custom to work with my particular setup.

Im really into to this but my power goals are just a bit higher then you offer out of the gate.

thanks
The rear O2 monitor isn't shut off, it's still being used and info is going to the ECU from it, but our maps are programmed so you won't get a CEL.

We made the tunes so they will work safely on Minis everywhere. They are slightly detuned to make up for differences in elevation, fuel quality, and different cars. More power can be made with a protune on a dyno for your individual car. Then the tuner can push the car to your limits, if you're comfortable having a tune set up that way.

It isn't possible to make a meth kit turn on with a push of the sport button, but it is possible to make the boost a certain level in normal mode, and higher with the sport button pressed. We haven't made a meth kit map yet, but if you are willing to do datalogs for us, we can make a good map that will make a lot of power using meth.

Last edited by ALTA_Chris; 02-15-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2011 | 10:46 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by phantasms
Great. So the unit will just know what the car is plugged into and bring up those maps? I was just concerned about using the wrong map on the car. When I tested it the first time I had to be given special maps for my vehicle. I thought that was how it worked with all customers.

So any concern about putting it on a Mini with 150 miles?

The JCW is already Fassstttttt.....but I'd love to see how it rolls with more power.

Yes, the AP knows exactly what car you have, and will automatically give you options of maps to load that are for your year and model of car.

There wouldn't be a problem putting the maps on a car with 150 miles. You may want to take it easy until about 500 miles though.

Old 02-15-2011 | 12:17 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
So the only cars with idle issues have been Autos. Even then its pretty far and few between. With these cars we have narrowed it down a couple of ECU versions and have sent out maps that fix the issue. This fix is going to be pushed out to all Auto ECU's shortly, but until then if anyone has an issue, let us know and we will email you a map.
Actually, I'm seeing an occasional bouncy idle on my manual 2009 MCS with the stage 1 tps map. Last month (before I installed the AP that's been sitting on my desk since September) I theorized it may be the same thing I've seen the stock ECU do... but now that I've seen the bouncy idle with the AP myself the last couple days (may or may not be the same as others are seeing with autos), I don't think that's the case.

I'll try to collect a log file when I notice it in the future.

Old 02-15-2011 | 12:24 PM
LASRGUY
2nd Gear
Bouncy idle on a manual

I've got a manual and I still have the bouncy idle with the AP. The idle is rock steady when I switch back to the stock map.

Old 02-15-2011 | 12:44 PM
Smigetsmall
1st Gear
Had a bouncy idle in a 2009 MCS here in the UK, completely stock. Changed to a higher octane fuel and it disappeared, no problems since. The Cooper S loves 98 RON, and gr8 pop and burble... from a stock car! Throttle control technique is everything
Gonna try 105+ octane see how it likes it!!

Old 02-15-2011 | 12:59 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Ditto on the bouncy idle with a manual, stage 1 firmware 1.6.3.0-398.
H910B TPS. Although it is very random as others have said.
Going to update my AP, 1st time since purchase.

Old 02-15-2011 | 01:06 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Yes, the AP knows exactly what car you have, and will automatically give you options of maps to load that are for your year and model of car.

There wouldn't be a problem putting the maps on a car with 150 miles. You may want to take it easy until about 500 miles though.
Thanks my friend. Will get it uploaded tonight. Hopefully it will get warm quickly so I can start recording some numbers at a track.

Old 02-15-2011 | 01:25 PM
choochike
2nd Gear
Bouncy idle on a manual 07 S here too. Running stage 3 and it seems to have gotten worse since stage 1. My buddies heard it running and were commenting how rough it sounded.

Old 02-15-2011 | 04:45 PM
Step
2nd Gear
The rear O2 monitor isn't shut off, it's still being used and info is going to the ECU from it, but our maps are programmed so you won't get a CEL.

We made the tunes so they will work safely on Minis everywhere. They are slightly detuned to make up for differences in elevation, fuel quality, and different cars. More power can be made with a protune on a dyno for your individual car. Then the tuner can push the car to your limits, if you're comfortable having a tune set up that way.

It isn't possible to make a meth kit turn on with a push of the sport button, but it is possible to make the boost a certain level in normal mode, and higher with the sport button pressed. We haven't made a meth kit map yet, but if you are willing to do datalogs for us, we can make a good map that will make a lot of power using meth.
Great info thanks.

do you have a list of local tuners that support our cars?

Also, it is possible to run meth threw the sport button, just not threw programing. All you need to do is to run power source for the sport button led (or ground, cant remember which is switched) to a relay that turns the meth on. Or I could just leave the car out of it and leave the meth power source constant and switch with a boost source.

I cant say I personally had any experience with di Meth combos. but I'm pretty sure its going to work.

Old 02-15-2011 | 04:47 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
98 octane, Wow, we only get 91 here in California. :(

And yes, the meth kit from ALta works great on an R56, it helps quite a bit

Old 02-15-2011 | 05:25 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Great info thanks.

do you have a list of local tuners that support our cars?

Also, it is possible to run meth threw the sport button, just not threw programing. All you need to do is to run power source for the sport button led (or ground, cant remember which is switched) to a relay that turns the meth on. Or I could just leave the car out of it and leave the meth power source constant and switch with a boost source.

I cant say I personally had any experience with di Meth combos. but I'm pretty sure its going to work.
Currently the only tuners for the ALTA AccessPORT are Jan from RMW Tuning, COBB Tuning in Texas, and us.

It may be possible to run the power through the light, but you would have to run it to a relay, then another relay, since it wouldn't be enough power going to the LED to power the meth kit.

It would be better to be running meth all the time, since the sport button only really changes boost and throttle feel in the map. To really take advantage of having the meth kit installed, you would want to change a lot more than those.

Also keep in mind we can make a map for meth that should work great, but to get the most power, you will want to get a custom tune on a dyno.

Old 02-15-2011 | 07:49 PM
barnoun
3rd Gear
I must be the only one that likes the bouncy idle, reminds me of cars with aftermarket cams lol.

Old 02-16-2011 | 10:25 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
For the new people seeing this thread for the first time, there is a lot of good info on the first page of this thread with a lot of FAQs, thanks!

Also to the guys with the bouncy idles, send me an email at maps@altaperformance.com and let me know the specs on your car, and the title of the map that you are running. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2011 | 04:41 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Dear Alta Chris - what can COBB Tuning in Texas do for me after I've bought the AccessPort?

I live about 10 miles from their shop. Just curious what additional stuff they can do, and if you have an idea what custom tunes go for.

Thanks

Old 02-17-2011 | 05:19 AM
MINI*8R
2nd Gear
When is ALTA going to have an AP for 2011 MCSa? An ETA would be nice.

Old 02-17-2011 | 06:27 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Bouncy idle is for sure a problem. Mine was acting up yesterday (manual 2010 w/ stage I). Random but a problem....

Old 02-19-2011 | 08:08 PM
fishbone
4th Gear
Went on the Cobb page today to update my Subaru Accessport and noticed Mini AP was up there.

You can imagine my sadness to notice the R53 gets no love.
Subscribed, hoping there will be an R53 AP coming soon.

Old 02-19-2011 | 09:19 PM
Step
2nd Gear
Currently the only tuners for the ALTA AccessPORT are Jan from RMW Tuning, COBB Tuning in Texas, and us.

It may be possible to run the power through the light, but you would have to run it to a relay, then another relay, since it wouldn't be enough power going to the LED to power the meth kit.

It would be better to be running meth all the time, since the sport button only really changes boost and throttle feel in the map. To really take advantage of having the meth kit installed, you would want to change a lot more than those.

Also keep in mind we can make a map for meth that should work great, but to get the most power, you will want to get a custom tune on a dyno.

If you don't want to continue this any further thats fine I don't want to jack the thread.

Isn't there licensed software,that would allow you to modify the same parameters that were already unlocked? or is it not available to the public yet?

and not to beat a dead horse, but Im still confused as to why It would take multiple relays? Isn't this a simple4 wire relay setup or am I missing something. You take a relay, make the control side the LED, and the load side a constant hot powerful enough to supply the Meth. You push the power button, the light turns on and the meth activates.simpler right... Then just use one of the two map sensors 0-5v signal to properly inject the correct amount of meth. It would take a bit of tweaking with either pyrometer or wideband, but it wouldn't be that difficult.

as for using the Meth with the sport button, why couldn't they go hand in hand. From what you wrote, you implied that the only changed values were boost and throttle, right?. If that is the case then we should still be able to make considerable power with meth attached.... right? assuming the timing curve and fuel curve stays stagnant you will approach a point of load were it doesn't make sense to add boost because the intake charge will rise to a temperature that will cause the car to knock and eventually pull ign timing. but by adding meth cant you throw a few more lbs and still make good reliable power, that you wouldn't normally be able to make, with out the juice. Best part is, is that by turning up the boost only on the sport button map, you can run the car all you want as hard as you want and never need the juice until you push the button. :-)

If someone said to me as a customer not in the know. "hey you know that nifty access port tool you have? well if you install this 400 dollar meth kit and not only will you make 20-to-30 reliable hp more but you'll steam clean your engine to a like-new finish." It would be a no brainer right?

thanks again for all your help.

Old 02-20-2011 | 06:46 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbone
Went on the Cobb page today to update my Subaru Accessport and noticed Mini AP was up there.

You can imagine my sadness to notice the R53 gets no love.
Subscribed, hoping there will be an R53 AP coming soon.
You have open source tuning brother. You can get custom tuned with out a 900$ handheld device.

Old 02-20-2011 | 03:45 PM
fishbone
4th Gear
Did you mean open source tuning for the R53?

Old 02-21-2011 | 10:26 AM
Jmrudy
Neutral
This is my first post since joining, so "hello", and I wanted to say it's been informative and entertaining reading thus far. I just purchased the Alta Accessport, and should receive in a day or two.

Any advice? Only mod done so far is a Alta CAI. Recommendations on maps?

Old 02-21-2011 | 10:37 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Jmrudy
This is my first post since joining, so "hello", and I wanted to say it's been informative and entertaining reading thus far. I just purchased the Alta Accessport, and should receive in a day or two.

Any advice? Only mod done so far is a Alta CAI. Recommendations on maps?
If you have the ALTA CAI then you can choose the Stage One Maps from those loaded in the AccessPORT. Just be sure to choose the proper Octane for your local fuel. (91,92,93 etc.)

If after receiving your AccessPORT you have ANY questions, don't hesitate to call us or e-mail maps@ALTAPerformance.com

Thanks for the business!!!!

Old 02-21-2011 | 11:33 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
If you don't want to continue this any further thats fine I don't want to jack the thread.

Isn't there licensed software,that would allow you to modify the same parameters that were already unlocked? or is it not available to the public yet?

and not to beat a dead horse, but Im still confused as to why It would take multiple relays? Isn't this a simple4 wire relay setup or am I missing something. You take a relay, make the control side the LED, and the load side a constant hot powerful enough to supply the Meth. You push the power button, the light turns on and the meth activates.simpler right... Then just use one of the two map sensors 0-5v signal to properly inject the correct amount of meth. It would take a bit of tweaking with either pyrometer or wideband, but it wouldn't be that difficult.

as for using the Meth with the sport button, why couldn't they go hand in hand. From what you wrote, you implied that the only changed values were boost and throttle, right?. If that is the case then we should still be able to make considerable power with meth attached.... right? assuming the timing curve and fuel curve stays stagnant you will approach a point of load were it doesn't make sense to add boost because the intake charge will rise to a temperature that will cause the car to knock and eventually pull ign timing. but by adding meth cant you throw a few more lbs and still make good reliable power, that you wouldn't normally be able to make, with out the juice. Best part is, is that by turning up the boost only on the sport button map, you can run the car all you want as hard as you want and never need the juice until you push the button. :-)

If someone said to me as a customer not in the know. "hey you know that nifty access port tool you have? well if you install this 400 dollar meth kit and not only will you make 20-to-30 reliable hp more but you'll steam clean your engine to a like-new finish." It would be a no brainer right?

thanks again for all your help.
Step,

We can get a map to work with the meth, for your questions, it really would be best to email Jeff for help. His email is jeff.perrin@altaperformance.com. Currently there isn't software to let customers tune the car themselves, but we will release it eventually.

I will talk to Jeff to get a new thread started about our Meth kit, thanks!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread