Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011 | 01:41 PM
akng
3rd Gear
What's the difference between buying the AccessPort from ALTA and Jan?

Old 05-21-2011 | 02:25 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
I was at Bimmerfest last weekend and talked to some guys in the Cobb booth and they were saying that Alta was going to be their only Mini tuner ? I am not sure what they meant or if it is even true but I would think Adam can give you the straight scoop .

Randy

Old 05-21-2011 | 02:47 PM
garyw
1st Gear
Is the Cobb tuner the same as the Alta AP? same device and same maps? Because I can find local shops to order the Cobb for me in Canada to save on the shipping cost from the USA if it's the same maps.

Old 05-21-2011 | 03:05 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by garyw
Is the Cobb tuner the same as the Alta AP? same device and same maps? Because I can find local shops to order the Cobb for me in Canada to save on the shipping cost from the USA if it's the same maps.
Cobb is the provider of the AP unit itself as well as support. Adam can clarify more fully.

Randy

Old 05-21-2011 | 05:50 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Its my understanding that the AP itself is the same and unless you pay jan for a custom map your AP will be the same as the one from alta... I may be wrong.

Old 05-22-2011 | 05:56 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
I can tell everyone for sure that one of the main reasons I am going with the AP is because of the support I have seen from the Alta guys here. Rarely does a day go by when someone has posted of a problem or a question and Chris is right there with an answer or an offer to help. Thta is very good support, among thebest I've seen in this dis-connected digital world.

So, keep up the good work and quick responses Alta, you are sure to get many more customers that way...

-RW-

Old 05-22-2011 | 09:23 AM
LASRGUY
2nd Gear
Smooth Idle

Jeff has crated a number of custom stage 3 maps for me over the last 4-5 months in an effort to address the bouncy idle issue I was having. The customized maps had definitely helped. Two weeks ago I contacted Jeff after I noticed a boost drop under load and he sent me an email mentioning that there may be a link between the idle and boost cutoff issues and a faulty diverter valve. I used this as an excuse to upgrade to the new Forge diverter valve sold by Way Motorworks. Magically, my idle is now silky smooth with any of the Accessport maps. Thanks to Jeff for the insight into the root cause of the issue. I'd recommend the Forge DV upgrade to anyone experiencing a fluctuating idle.

Old 05-22-2011 | 11:09 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LASRGUY
Jeff has crated a number of custom stage 3 maps for me over the last 4-5 months in an effort to address the bouncy idle issue I was having. The customized maps had definitely helped. Two weeks ago I contacted Jeff after I noticed a boost drop under load and he sent me an email mentioning that there may be a link between the idle and boost cutoff issues and a faulty diverter valve. I used this as an excuse to upgrade to the new Forge diverter valve sold by Way Motorworks. Magically, my idle is now silky smooth with any of the Accessport maps. Thanks to Jeff for the insight into the root cause of the issue. I'd recommend the Forge DV upgrade to anyone experiencing a fluctuating idle.

I also got my Forge D/V from Way Motor Works and I can second your recommendation of the Forge D/V.

Old 05-23-2011 | 01:27 AM
turtle343
4th Gear
i really want to get the Forge part. which spring do you use? was it easy to figure out the part you needed? i wanted the WMW one but they don't seem to ship to Australia.

Old 05-23-2011 | 02:24 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by turtle343
i really want to get the Forge part. which spring do you use? was it easy to figure out the part you needed? i wanted the WMW one but they don't seem to ship to Australia.
Hi,

You can order it directly from forge UK, who do ship to Australia

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...oduct=FMDVR56A

It was little more expensive (but remember we don't pay VAT). I was annoyed when the WMW wouldn't allow shipment to Australia. I suppose I could have got on email etc and negotiated a delivery etc. But to be honest it was just easier to get on the forge site and order it without problems.

There is a message to WMW and other retailers here. There is a market outside of North America!! Chalk up two lost sales to WMW just from this thread

Robbo

Old 05-23-2011 | 03:52 AM
turtle343
4th Gear
awesome, thanks robbo. i am going to get this now.

Old 05-23-2011 | 05:47 AM
LASRGUY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by turtle343
I'm running the stiffer yellow spring since the stage 3 map holds about 19psi in my car. I didn't try the lighter green spring. Swapping springs is really easy with this DV. It doesn't require unbolting the DV from the turbo, just unscrewing a cap.

Old 05-23-2011 | 09:15 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by maxmini
I was at Bimmerfest last weekend and talked to some guys in the Cobb booth and they were saying that Alta was going to be their only Mini tuner ? I am not sure what they meant or if it is even true but I would think Adam can give you the straight scoop .

Randy
Maybe they meant that we are the only place the AP can originally be purchased from? You can purchase it from other places, but it will be coming from us.

Originally Posted by akng
What's the difference between buying the AccessPort from ALTA and Jan?
There is no difference where you get it from, it will come with all the maps preloaded, and you can still get support from us.

Originally Posted by garyw
There are actually several different versions of the AccessPORT for different vehicles, and only one that works with the R56 Mini. If your shop can get AccessPORTs, make sure they can get a Mini AccessPORT.

Old 05-23-2011 | 09:26 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by robbo mcs
Hi,

You can order it directly from forge UK, who do ship to Australia

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...oduct=FMDVR56A

It was little more expensive (but remember we don't pay VAT). I was annoyed when the WMW wouldn't allow shipment to Australia. I suppose I could have got on email etc and negotiated a delivery etc. But to be honest it was just easier to get on the forge site and order it without problems.

There is a message to WMW and other retailers here. There is a market outside of North America!! Chalk up two lost sales to WMW just from this thread

Robbo
well i was running this Forge BOV with my Stage 4 K03/04 hybrid tune from alta and i was having major problems with it venting boost the second it hit 10-11 psi when the mechanical and electronic setup was going... the second it took out the electronic piece my car held all the boost great, only downside was that at part throttle there was this strange venting noise right before it was in positive boost pressure. probably isn't an issue on a non hybrid but for some reason it was semi loud for me...

if Alta can tune for that diverter valve then it could be an absolutely bullet proof setup.

Old 05-23-2011 | 08:03 PM
g-bodrummer
2nd Gear
Do you have a Vent To Atomosphere BOV? if so, where should it be located so it dont throw a light? i just bought a VTA BOV, but hav not installed it yet because of the maf ecu issue

Originally Posted by AkFarina
No the stock one is rubber, and electrically controlled by the ecu. A VTA BOV will be ok because the air being recirculated is after the MAF so it wont even know that its happening. While the Stock diverter valve is open the intake manifold is basically closed anyway.

Old 05-23-2011 | 10:04 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by g-bodrummer
Do you have a Vent To Atomosphere BOV? if so, where should it be located so it dont throw a light? i just bought a VTA BOV, but hav not installed it yet because of the maf ecu issue
I'm using the forge BOV piece without their VTA spacer... so technically it's a diverter valve not a BOV but for whatever reason they decided to market it as a BOV (confusing ain't it hahahaha) but anyway depending on what you bought it probably goes where the "noise maker" is... PM me what you got and i'll be able to tell you in a second where it goes and what problem you might potentially have :P

Old 06-01-2011 | 12:26 PM
shadowwc50
1st Gear
Questions on different stage maps. I have a 2010 JCW with factory JCW exhaust and Helix intercooler,
1) Is Stage 1 + intercooler map the right one to use?
2) Can I used Stage 2? or even 3?

If its a no on question 2), what's the downside of using those maps without the supporting parts? and what parts I will need for stage 2 and 3?

Sorry if someone already answered these *** questions from before. I just can't seem to find the answer with the search feature. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-2011 | 12:49 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
? No. 1 - yes
? No. 2 - no
From what I understand, stage 2 & 3 are designed around Alta's 3" turbo back exhaust and would not be good to your motor.
Your best bet would be to call Chris at Alta,and have him point you in the right direction, or they may have a map for how you are presently configured? Good luck.

Old 06-01-2011 | 02:14 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by shadowwc50
Questions on different stage maps. I have a 2010 JCW with factory JCW exhaust and Helix intercooler,
1) Is Stage 1 + intercooler map the right one to use?
2) Can I used Stage 2? or even 3?

If its a no on question 2), what's the downside of using those maps without the supporting parts? and what parts I will need for stage 2 and 3?

Sorry if someone already answered these *** questions from before. I just can't seem to find the answer with the search feature. Thanks in advance.
1) The stage one FMIC map is the correct map to run with those modifications.

2) To run a stage 2 or 3 map, you will have to install a 3" turbo back exhaust. Since you already have the intercooler, you could go straight to stage 3 if you installed a turbo back exhaust.

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2011 | 02:33 PM
shadowwc50
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
1) The stage one FMIC map is the correct map to run with those modifications.

2) To run a stage 2 or 3 map, you will have to install a 3" turbo back exhaust. Since you already have the intercooler, you could go straight to stage 3 if you installed a turbo back exhaust.

Thanks!
Thanks Chris. If I buy the AP with Stage 1 + FMIC, and later decided to add the turbo back exhaust, you can provide me with the stage 3 map, no charge right? As at this point, I love how the factory JCW exhaust sounds and have no plans to switch it out yet.

Old 06-01-2011 | 03:09 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by shadowwc50
Thanks Chris. If I buy the AP with Stage 1 + FMIC, and later decided to add the turbo back exhaust, you can provide me with the stage 3 map, no charge right? As at this point, I love how the factory JCW exhaust sounds and have no plans to switch it out yet.
I'm also in the same boat. I don't want to swap out the rear exhaust b/c I like the way the JCW sounds now and don't want to risk adding annoying drone from swapping exhaust systems. If I swapped the down pipe to either a 3" or a better flowing 2.5" and had the FMIC would you be able to use Map 2 or 3?

Old 06-01-2011 | 04:07 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Hey guys, the ALTA AccessPORT has stage 1, 2 and 3 maps already preloaded from the factory.

Performance Angst, we would have to see a datalog to see if a stage 2 map will be OK. Most likely you will have to run a stage 1 map. Usually people don't upgrade just the downpipe, since they will have to cut and weld an adapter on the stock exhaust to fit a downpipe. Thanks!

Old 06-01-2011 | 06:20 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Hey guys, the ALTA AccessPORT has stage 1, 2 and 3 maps already preloaded from the factory.

Performance Angst, we would have to see a datalog to see if a stage 2 map will be OK. Most likely you will have to run a stage 1 map. Usually people don't upgrade just the downpipe, since they will have to cut and weld an adapter on the stock exhaust to fit a downpipe. Thanks!
Chris,
The Akrapovic is a direct bolt on to the JCW system and I am in the same boat. I have no plan on going 3 inch.

Old 06-02-2011 | 12:00 PM
garyw
1st Gear
For those with JCW's, did you guys get the popping, burbling from the exhaust after the tune? I just installed the AP into my 09' JCW, was hoping the popping and burbling would come back.

Old 06-02-2011 | 12:12 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Flossin, you're right, with the Akrapovic, you can upgrade just the rear cat. But it retains the stock front cat. You will have to run a stage 1 tune with that setup.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread