Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011 | 10:58 AM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Mystery solved. The car was in to have some upholstery work and evidently the battery was disconnected. The time was set to zero. Set the time and the ! went away. I'm guessing that had something to do with the P303E code as well.

Old 06-26-2011 | 08:38 PM
miniXLR8
3rd Gear
Is this something that you need to buy and own (pricey) or can i plug and play with another owners accessport? if so, anyone want to hook me up?

Old 06-26-2011 | 10:09 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
When you hook up an accessport, it "marrys" itself to your car's ECU. Up until it gets a divorce from that vehicle, it will only give it's sweet, sweet "benefits" to that one vehicle.

Old 06-26-2011 | 10:25 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Agarwaen
When you hook up an accessport, it "marrys" itself to your car's ECU. Up until it gets a divorce from that vehicle, it will only give it's sweet, sweet "benefits" to that one vehicle.
And like all divorces...they're gonna cost you.

Old 06-27-2011 | 04:15 AM
miniXLR8
3rd Gear
This is why I will never get married.

Would getting a tune essentially have the same effect?

Old 06-27-2011 | 06:07 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
essentially, yes.

Old 06-28-2011 | 06:14 AM
Bravo Zulu
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by miniXLR8

Never say never.

Old 06-28-2011 | 06:52 AM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Originally Posted by miniXLR8

As said above, essentially, yes. BUT, an accessport allows a lot more variables to be tweaked in said tune than the dimsport tools of the past. So, you get more power with an AP tune.

Old 06-28-2011 | 08:23 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
BUT, an accessport allows a lot more variables to be tweaked in said tune than the dimsport tools of the past. So, you get more power with an AP tune.
^^Incorrect statement.

Old 06-28-2011 | 08:50 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
As said above, essentially, yes. BUT, an accessport allows a lot more variables to be tweaked in said tune than the dimsport tools of the past. So, you get more power with an AP tune.
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
^^Incorrect statement.
Thumper you are simply wrong on this one.

The Dimsport tool is restricted to very few mapping parameters. While the dyno can show a similar peak HP gain compared to an ALTA AccessPORT tune, the levels of safety, drivability, and economy are far and above the Dimsport.

Might be akin to a comparison of a tube TV vs HDTV. Both can show a picture, but the HD has far better resolution.

If folks would prefer a more detailed listing of the differences, just let us know and I can have Jeff / Chris get that posted up in a few days.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 06-28-2011 | 09:37 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thumper you are simply wrong on this one.

The Dimsport tool is restricted to very few mapping parameters. While the dyno can show a similar peak HP gain compared to an ALTA AccessPORT tune, the levels of safety, drivability, and economy are far and above the Dimsport.

Might be akin to a comparison of a tube TV vs HDTV. Both can show a picture, but the HD has far better resolution.

If folks would prefer a more detailed listing of the differences, just let us know and I can have Jeff / Chris get that posted up in a few days.

Thanks again everyone!
I'm not knocking the AP...I have one, use it and fully recommend it. Hell I'm even on one of your tunes right now. That said....

I have been tuned extensively with Dimsport over the past 2.5 years and only since Fall with the AP. The ability to use Dimsport to the fullest is solely based on the tuners knowledge of the software and how to use it. The AP DOES come with more maps than the Dimsport does, but Dimsport gives access to the entire eprom. The maps that come with the Dimsport are pretty pathetic...but the sky is the limit as far as what can be done with it. Just need a good knowledge of it, and a heck of a lot of time. Some of the maps aren't even labeled correctly in Dimsport software...stupid Italians.

Tuners that solely use Dimsport will all tell you this...and no I'm not just talking about Jan. The AP software is simply more tuner/user friendly and stock for stock comes with a lot more mapping capabilities...plain and simple.

Old 06-28-2011 | 01:01 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
So Adam, are you saying that those of us that have the DimSport should just toss it and buy an Accessport? That's pretty harsh.

Old 06-28-2011 | 01:19 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
So Adam, are you saying that those of us that have the DimSport should just toss it and buy an Accessport? That's pretty harsh.
I think he is speaking from the tuner's perspective (thats what I was talking about at least)...not the end user.

Old 06-28-2011 | 01:21 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Thanks for the reply, but I am not bashing the previous purchasers of the DimSport at all.

But again back to the TV reference above. Things change and evolve. You can still watch the evening news on a tube type TV or you can toss it and buy a new HDTV and enjoy all those new features and benefits.

Don't forget just some of many of the features that are built into the ALTA AccessPORT that aren't found in the Dimsport:

-Datalogging
-OBDII Scan and Clear Tool
-Multiple Map Upgrades OnBoard
-Full readout of engine functions in gauge style
-Additional Power Opportunity due to the higher resolution of mapping abilities
-Throttle Response Mapping
-Ability to store and re-flash anytime the OEM Mapping
-Internet based software upgrades and support
-Simple hand-held, color screen, menu driven device.
-Valet Mapping on Demand

So again, you don't have to throw out the Old TV (DimSport) but I know I sure like watching TV in HD! (ALTA AccessPORT)

Thanks again!

Old 06-28-2011 | 03:01 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
Man I want one of these so bad!!

Old 06-29-2011 | 12:34 PM
Verithas
1st Gear
Gief EU Version !

Old 06-30-2011 | 08:15 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
I seem to remember a couple weeks ago that Chris said there would new maps for the Stage 1 Auto. tranny folks. I jacked my AP into my PC and have not found any new maps. Am I doing something wrong or have the maps not been released yet?

I'm still experiencing some "surging" at mid-level RPMs in 2nd and 3rd gears. Hopefully a new map will cure this minor issue...

Best Wishes,

Old 07-01-2011 | 12:50 PM
actionzombie
Neutral
If you work in Alta and reading this, would you please check the e mail I sent back in June 4 regarding 2010 MCS having cyl 1 and multi cyl misfire engine light issue with stage 2 map that comes with the AP and in need of custom map made to fix them. I've received the e mail back on June 13 asking if my mini was auto or manual and if I've ever changed the spark plugs (first thing I did...didn't solve the issue). I haven't received any e mails since and was wondering about the progress, if any.

I am not trying to call anyone out. I am just hoping if I could get some answers if I post something here. If you could please e mail me at "", it would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

p.s. Also, my original e mail contains 30 mins of data log of my mini for the custom map as well as every mods on my mini.

Last edited by actionzombie; 04-02-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2011 | 01:10 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by actionzombie
If you work in Alta and reading this, would you please check the e mail I sent back in June 4 regarding 2010 MCS having cyl 1 and multi cyl misfire engine light issue with stage 2 map that comes with the AP and in need of custom map made to fix them. I've received the e mail back on June 13 asking if my mini was auto or manual and if I've ever changed the spark plugs (first thing I did...didn't solve the issue). I haven't received any e mails since and was wondering about the progress, if any.

I am not trying to call anyone out. I am just hoping if I could get some answers if I post something here. If you could please e mail me at "derrick.chanwoo.johnson@gmail.com", it would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

p.s. Also, my original e mail contains 30 mins of data log of my mini for the custom map as well as every mods on my mini.
It kind of sounds like the beginning of my experience from a couple of months ago. I'd have the compression checked on the cylinders. I was getting a misfire in cylinder 4 fault code off and on for a couple of weeks before I started getting fault codes for multiple cylinder misfires and camshaft position errors. I was losing 90% of the compression in cylinder 4 due most likely to a bad piston.

Are you getting the faults with the map removed? If you do, the tune isn't the culprit...

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2011 | 01:33 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor

I am not trying to call anyone out. I am just hoping if I could get some answers if I post something here. If you could please e mail me at "derrick.chanwoo.johnson@gmail.com", it would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks for the post! If you EVER don't get a reply from us within two business days, please for the love of pete pick up the phone and call us. We never want any client to get passed over due to some kind of electronic issue.

I have sent you a reply e-mail, alerted the tech / mapping staff and they want to help you.

Look forward to hearing the outcome. Have a GREAT weekend!

Old 07-01-2011 | 01:34 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
DJ, email sent.

Thank you.

Old 07-01-2011 | 01:40 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
I was losing 90% of the compression in cylinder 4 due most likely to a bad piston.

Did you lose that piston?

Old 07-01-2011 | 02:01 PM
actionzombie
Neutral
I ran the car with the maps removed and only code I remember seeing was cat convert failure due to having Alta tubo back exhaust. I will try again with the maps removed and see if I get those codes.

And thank you for such a quick reply Chris. Next time I will be sure to give you guys a ring.

Old 07-01-2011 | 04:37 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Did you lose that piston?
I had the choice of paying to have them diagnose exactly what was the cause and then replace the long block or have them put in a remanufactured long block. I chose to have them put the long block in without paying for additional detailed diagnosis. In retrospect I probably should have taken it to an engine shop and have them put in upgraded pistons and rebore the cylinders. If I did, I'd have stronger pistons now than the stock ones. Oh well, live and learn.

Old 07-01-2011 | 04:43 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
I had the choice of paying to have them diagnose exactly what was the cause and then replace the long block or have them put in a remanufactured long block. I chose to have them put the long block in without paying for additional detailed diagnosis. In retrospect I probably should have taken it to an engine shop and have them put in upgraded pistons and rebore the cylinders. If I did, I'd have stronger pistons now than the stock ones. Oh well, live and learn.
Well I'm 99.9% certain that it was probably the same failure every other one has seen.

Didn't know yours blew too...add another one to the list.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread