Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010 | 02:57 PM
Chavasan
Neutral
Just got my car a week ago on 8/15/10 I am so tempted to pull out the cc. I want to resist need to break the car in first.

Old 08-22-2010 | 03:32 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Who has the RMW tune either dynoed with Jan or a canned tune via the Dimsport flash tool and is going to jump ship and drop another $800 on this Alta product?

I'll stick with the RMW tune for now. This has not been proven yet.

Alta you need to do a better job of showing substance over marketing to get my money.

Last edited by onefish2; 08-22-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2010 | 04:52 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by onefish2
Who has the RMW tune either dyoned with Jan or a canned tune via the Dimsport flash tool and is going to jump ship and drop another $800 on this Alta product?

Alta you need to do a better job of showing substance over marketing to get my money.
I have for one.

Jan has talked about being able to prevent CELs caused by aftermarket DPs and also adding in the P&B. He hasn't done it yet. ALTA has. The ALTA tune gives me more low end torque and hp. Also the AP is such a better tool than the Dimsport tool. The AP can read and clear codes, it is a data logger, and it will soon be able to display performance data. If you sell your MINI and get another one, you also don't have to pay $150 to have the tool reset to be used on the new MINI.

Flashing the ECU is simplified with the AP tool as well. You only need to cycle the key once versus the 3 or 4 times it takes with the Dimsport tool. There really is no comparison between the two tools.

Granted, I haven't completely dumped my RMW tune and tool. I'm waiting on an update from Jan as he has supposedly unlocked the limiters for 1st and 2nd gear. However, I've been waiting 5 days already for the new map file and I haven't heard a word from Jan. Since I've started posting about the two tools/tunes I've always said I wanted to keep using both, evaluating which tune is better for me and my MINI at the time. After all, I have paid for both so I expect that I should be able to keep both tunes updated and choose which one I want to use at any given time.

Old 08-22-2010 | 05:37 PM
BamaCooperS
3rd Gear
Who has the RMW tune either dyoned with Jan or a canned tune via the Dimsport flash tool and is going to jump ship and drop another $800 on this Alta product?

As far as the AccessPort goes, it is a proven tool. It's been around quite awhile for the Subaru (WRX, STI, 2.5GT, etc.), Nissan (R35 GT-R), Mitsubishi (EVO X), Mada (RX8, MS3, MS6), and other enthusiasts. There is some serious horsepower within this group and the AccessPort is a very popular mod. I firmly believe that this mod for the MINI is going to be win. Just my opinion.

Old 08-22-2010 | 06:04 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear

Me

Mark

Old 08-22-2010 | 06:29 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear

I am not following your post. Are you bitter about something? So if it's proven in short time that not only is Alta's tune better, but so is their customer service, AccessPort tool and ability to add great features in short order...will they then "get your money?"

Old 08-22-2010 | 06:57 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Who has the RMW tune either dyoned with Jan or a canned tune via the Dimsport flash tool and is going to jump ship and drop another $800 on this Alta product?.
Me

I had a dimsport tune (not jans) that I dropped for this. This is much more power than my other tune.

Old 08-22-2010 | 07:34 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
I am going to be totally honest in this post as I have in all my other posts here on NAM.

I have not spent 1 penny with Alta based on the feedback I see on these forums. I have been reading through the posts on NAM almost every day for the past 21 months.

I have a Dos intake, NM boost tubes, a Helix FMIC, a RMW tune etc. I went with these products over the Alta products for a reason.

When I got the RMW tune back in the spring of 2010 it was the big buzz here on NAM. I drove out to Philly from NYC to get on the dyno at Helix and have Jan tune my car. So far its been good. But I have a hard time dealing with Jan. I write him an email with a paragraph worth of info he writes back "try this" and sends me a new tune file. I write back so what is in it? Is it new maps added to my tune? And he writes back "combo." I would like a bit more info. And I had been waiting a while for those new maps too.

I will continue to watch and wait and see what the real deal is with this based on the feedback from NAM members. That will be my litmus test. Not Alta marketing.

Last edited by onefish2; 08-22-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2010 | 07:47 PM
aaronvb
2nd Gear
Any changes to the exhaust tone with this tune?

Old 08-22-2010 | 07:49 PM
BamaCooperS
3rd Gear
I have not spent 1 penny with Alta based on the feedback I see on this forum. And I have been reading through it every day for the past 21 months.

I have a Dos intake, NM boost tubes, a Helix FMIC, a RMW tune etc. I went with these products over the Alta products for a reason.

When I got the RMW tune back in the spring of 2010 that was the big buzz here on NAM.
You haven't spent a penny with Alta based on feedback on NAM, but you spent the money, plus travel, for a RMW tune because it was a big buzz on NAM? Not sure I follow this.

Old 08-22-2010 | 08:14 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by aaronvb
It does sound different but hard to describe.

Old 08-22-2010 | 08:25 PM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
It does sound different but hard to describe.
When i got my rmw tune, the exhaust sounded louder to me. Same piping + more air flow via higher boost would equal a louder tone. It just makes sense.

Old 08-22-2010 | 09:12 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BamaCooperS
You haven't spent a penny with Alta based on feedback on NAM, but you spent the money, plus travel, for a RMW tune because it was a big buzz on NAM? Not sure I follow this.
At the time I got the RMW tune there was a lot of buzz about it on NAM. The Dimsport flash tool had recently become available. I did not run off to get it because of that.

Old 08-22-2010 | 10:02 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
Just thought I would throw this in here for discussion purposes. I've meant to post this dyno run I did a couple months ago. There was something funky with the beginning of the torque curve. Also, I did hit 240 lbs on one run. This is RMW canned tune

Old 08-23-2010 | 12:19 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
The best way to describe it is - mellower. Strange yeah? I think the engine is just running smoother even when you are pushing 20+ lbs boost. It doesn't have the same 'angry' type sound i used to have around 2800 rpm. It's seems to be quiter because it is running better. I can probably give you a ride some time soon. send me a pm.

Old 08-23-2010 | 01:49 AM
aaronvb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
The best way to describe it is - mellower. Strange yeah? I think the engine is just running smoother even when you are pushing 20+ lbs boost. It doesn't have the same 'angry' type sound i used to have around 2800 rpm. It's seems to be quiter because it is running better. I can probably give you a ride some time soon. send me a pm.
I may have to take you up on that offer. How's the pop and burble?

Old 08-23-2010 | 06:31 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Originally Posted by akng
Seems like you also got a R56 Cooper S with JCW Tuning Kit and no other
mods, right? If so, let me know how you like the Alta tune once you get it to work! I also have the same setup as you and I am now considering to get the Alta tune as well! Thanks!
That's a second vote for that. I've got the JCW Kit and I am contemplating this but only if it is worth it.

Alta,
From what I've picked up from this thread is that it will boost it up to about a factory level JCW to about 204 HP. Essentailly you are getting a ECU flash for a Base S R56 since the JCW kit is a flash also. Am I right in my thought process

Old 08-23-2010 | 08:06 AM
cop1406
4th Gear

Last edited by cop1406; 05-18-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2010 | 01:22 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
As some mentioned i would say yes a little. It could be because there is more power with less throttle so you don't have gas mashed quite as much. The other thing is we mess with the cam timing stuff. This can effect the sound a little also.

Originally Posted by callahan00
That's a second vote for that. I've got the JCW Kit and I am contemplating this but only if it is worth it.

Alta,
From what I've picked up from this thread is that it will boost it up to about a factory level JCW to about 204 HP. Essentailly you are getting a ECU flash for a Base S R56 since the JCW kit is a flash also. Am I right in my thought process
So i have not ever dynoed a Cooper S with the JCW ecu. So i am sure how that compares if that is what you are asking. If you are asking how a JCW(with bigger turbo and all that) then yes we can get about the same power as a stock JCW but from your Cooper S. I hope that answers your question.

Originally Posted by cop1406
I am selling my Dimsport Flash tool and watching this with much interest. I have been waiting for Jan to come out with the pop and burble for 5 or 6 months and all he makes on his comments is one word slightly condescending comments. It may be just me but I am not willing to spend another 500.00 on a tune and not have the tuner be accessible and/or helpful.... He probably is a great guy but his customer service seems to need some help....
We are here to help! And while we may not be able to turn around a new map in an hour if you ever needed it, we sure can get you taken care of in a day! But really, besides updates, i don't there will be customers needing new maps to fix things. We have picked a few testers to help us with proving the maps not yet released so by the time stage 2 and 3 are out for all the cars, they will be rockin!

Old 08-23-2010 | 01:23 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
We have also updated the front page to include some more FAQ and also to included a section describing what we do to our maps that may be different than other tuners.

Keep the questions coming!

Old 08-23-2010 | 01:39 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Argh, I have never spent so much money to get a car tunned, first $800.00 on your Unichip, then $850. for a RMW tune, and now your new product has me drooling to get back to an all Alta settup. I really want to see what the AP can do with your Water/Meth system I have hooked up??...and I love all those extra features you guys just posted... I guess I am going to need to start saving again...

Last edited by chakraj; 08-23-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2010 | 04:53 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Im curious why there are no 91 octane maps available yet? Isn't that the standard octane that MINI recommends for our cars? I would think that should be at the top of the list.

Old 08-23-2010 | 05:05 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
You miust be one of those poor people that live in Cali...lol

Mini recommends premium gas. Where I live that's 93.

Old 08-23-2010 | 07:32 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
You miust be one of those poor people that live in Cali...lol

Mini recommends premium gas. Where I live that's 93.
Im in Arizona. I havent seen 93 anywhere here.

Old 08-23-2010 | 08:55 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phxsteele
Im in Arizona. I havent seen 93 anywhere here.
Yup AZ gets it's gas from CA...so lucky us, we get their 91 crap too!

Drives me and any car enthusiast here crazy.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread